The Road to Superbowl LIV Friendly Forum Version.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Road to Superbowl LIV Friendly Forum Version.

Post by Irish Ian »

Kicks off this weekend coming.

If you think Leeds choked last time check out my beloved Carolina Panthers.
Last season we were 6-2 at halfway but lost 6 in the bounce including 4 games in the last minutes, all by one measly score.
Our QB had a shoulder injury and couldn't throw anything...

Anyhow hope springs eternal.
Pre-season went 2-2 but the fun begins in earnest this Sunday with a visit from the LA Rams.

Anyone else up for NFL?
Last edited by Irish Ian on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Road to Superbowl LIV

Post by The Subhuman »

Nice title..

Just spent the last 24 hours posting an awful lot on waccoe about the NFL (Couple of Panther fans there) and making sure our 3 ladder fantasy ladder leagues go off without a hitch (They did in the main) Waccoe 1 (W1) looks stronger than ever and into it's eleventh season I think. Also looking over the WDL (Waccoe Dynasty League) rosters to make sure everyone got their cuts in in time

I actually prefer American Football to ours as a sport. Leeds will always be my favorite team but I have little interest in watching other games whereas the NFL I'll watch 2 or 3 live then go back and watch 40 minute highlights of all the others..Game Pass is an awesome bit of kit.

I play in 8 full NFL sims (32 teams, Big rosters, full IDP, Contracts, salaries and negotiations, Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency, TAGs..etc) I play in 2 re-draft, one for a Raider forum one for Waccoe which I run. 4 money leagues including a college rules one which is brilliant and engrossing in it's simplicity) 4 other 16 team dynasties. 1 College football dynasty (using college players and scoring)..

I'm a Raider fan for my since, I'm not a Gruden fan. He's my Bates for the NFL. But everyone else likes him so I'm sort of the opposite of what I am here..wierd

I keep a personal forum for college scouting, watch a lot of tape in Jan to April, read a lot of opinions..I know most teams better than their own fans.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Panthers are ok right now, middle of the pack. Reliant on Newton and McCaffrey, there's nothing behind if they go down which would keep them ticking over. Curtis Samuel should break out this season, his ceiling is very high, great YAC player and open field runner plus refined route running and great hands will get him open. Moore is good enough to threaten WR1.5 talent alongside him.

Get Olsen fit for a season and the old guy gives them a middle field threat and outlet for Cam..Good O line in the main, got the steal of the draft with Brian Burns imo, should be a wrecking ball off the edge as a premier speed rusher plus he excels in pursuit. That front 7 could be as good as anything in the league
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:59 pm Nice title..

Just spent the last 24 hours posting an awful lot on waccoe about the NFL (Couple of Panther fans there) and making sure our 3 ladder fantasy ladder leagues go off without a hitch (They did in the main) Waccoe 1 (W1) looks stronger than ever and into it's eleventh season I think. Also looking over the WDL (Waccoe Dynasty League) rosters to make sure everyone got their cuts in in time

I actually prefer American Football to ours as a sport. Leeds will always be my favorite team but I have little interest in watching other games whereas the NFL I'll watch 2 or 3 live then go back and watch 40 minute highlights of all the others..Game Pass is an awesome bit of kit.

I play in 8 full NFL sims (32 teams, Big rosters, full IDP, Contracts, salaries and negotiations, Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency, TAGs..etc) I play in 2 re-draft, one for a Raider forum one for Waccoe which I run. 4 money leagues including a college rules one which is brilliant and engrossing in it's simplicity) 4 other 16 team dynasties. 1 College football dynasty (using college players and scoring)..

I'm a Raider fan for my since, I'm not a Gruden fan. He's my Bates for the NFL. But everyone else likes him so I'm sort of the opposite of what I am here..wierd

I keep a personal forum for college scouting, watch a lot of tape in Jan to April, read a lot of opinions..I know most teams better than their own fans.
Bloody hell faaip how do find the time to do all that :shock:

I struggle just to pick one horse a day and nominate and pick in 64's Songs of the Decade thread :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:18 pm Bloody hell faaip how do find the time to do all that :shock:

I struggle just to pick one horse a day and nominate and pick in 64's Songs of the Decade thread :)
It's tough but someone has to do it..No Pubs/Restaurants/Theatres/Concerts Halls/Cinemas these days for one reason or another. Never was a big tele watcher outside of sport. The odd movie and a series or two. Only one weeks holiday away in the last 7 years
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Dynasty football is year round so once you've set it up it sort of runs its self (Everyone does it differently) ...the tricky bit is making sure I have an hour before Sunday KO's at 6pm to check for injuries and adjust if necessary ..Then Sunday evening is two tablets with games on and the laptop set up for red zone while watching MFL and ESPN live fantasy scoring, and chatting on Waccoe's Road to the Super Bowl thread ...love NFL Sundays

I also do a little research for a scouting site, very little but it all helps
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This is the 32 team dynasty league roster I have the highest hopes for as an example, we play these on a proboards forum and MFL which is probably the best software able to cope with this level of detail but even they can't handle FA and contract "negotiations"

Cincinati Bengals 19 season - 2nd season - personally drafted

Roster (Limit is 50) Rookies in blue

QB (6@$2.14M)

Mitchell Trubisky, CHI - 19: 0.64M 20: $0.73M, 21 $1.10M
Mason Rudolph, PIT - 19: $0.85, 20: $0.85 RFA
Kyle Sloter, MIN - 19: $0.65M RFA

RB (6@$6.43)

James Conner, PIT - 19: $0.65M, 20: $0.74M
Jaylen Samuels, PIT - 19: $0.40, 20: $0.40 RFA
Elijah McGuire, NYJ - 19: $0.65M, 20: $0.74M
C.J Anderson, LAR - 19: $4.5M
Boston Scott, FA - 19: $0.23, 20: $0.23 RFA
Alex Barnes, TEN - 19: $0.30, 20: $0.30 21: $0.3M RFA

WR (6@$15.84M)

Tyler Locket, SEA - 19: $10.0M, 20: $10.0M, 21: $10.0M, 22: $10.0M
Courtland Sutton, DEN - 19: $01.71, 20: $1.71M, 21: $1.71, 22 5th year option
Curtis Samuel, CAR - 19: $1.05M, 20: $1.34M
Diontae Johnson, PIT - 19: $1.056M, 20: $1.056M, 21: $1.056M, 22: $1.056M, 23: $1.056M
Kelvin Harmon, WAS - 19: $0.677M, 20: $0.677M, 21: $0.677M,

Kendrick Bourne, SFO - 19: $0.65M RFA
Trent Taylor, SFO - 19: $0.64, 20: $0.73 RFA
Deon Cain, IND - 19: $0.4M, 20: $0.4M RFA

TE (3@$6.65M)

Will Disley, SEA - 19: $2.0M, 20: $2.0M, 21: $2.0M
Darren Waller, OAK - 19: $3.0M, 20: $3.0M, 21: $3.0M, 22: $3.0M
Gerald Everett, LAR - 19: $1.0M, 20: $1.29M

K (2@$3.1M)

Greg Zeurlein, LAR - 19: $2.8M, 20: $4.0M, 21: $4.0M, 22: $4.0M
Eddie Piniero, OAK - 19: $0.3M

DT (2@ $1.05M)

Henry Anderson, NYJ - 19: $4.0M, 20: $4.0M, 21: $4.0M, 22: $4.0M
PJ Hall, OAK - 19: $0.40, 20: $0.40 RFA
Jaleel Johnson, MIN - 19: $0.65M, 20: $0.74M

DE (3@$15.44M)

Jadeveon Clowney, HOU - 19: $10.0M, 20: $10.0M, 21: $10.0M, 22: $10.0M
Ezekiel Ansah, DET - 19: $4.5M, 20: $4.5M, 21: $4.5M
Marcus Davenport, NOS - 19: $0.94M, 20: $0.94M, 21: $0.94M. 22: option
Anthony Nelson, TBB - 19: $0.3M, 20: $0.3M, 21: $0.3M RFA

LB (10@ 17.61M)

Bradley Chubb, DEN - 19: $0.89M, 20: $0.89M, RFA
Rashaan Evans, TEN - 19: $1.06M, 20: $1.06M, 21: $1.06M. 22: option
Jake Ryan, ARI -19: $6.5M - FT1
Alex Anzalone, NOS - 19: $0.72M, 20: $0.81M
Josey Jewell, DEN - 19: $0.42, 20: $0.42 RFA
Danny Travathen, CHI - 19: $5.8M
Blake Cashman, NYJ - 19: $0.4M, 20: $0.4M, 21: $0.4M
Tyus Bowser, BAL - 19: $0.97M, 20: $1.23M
Zeke Turner, ARI - 19: $0.3 RFA
Shaquem Griffin, SEA - 19: $0.30, 20: $0.30 RFA

CB (4@$5.31M)

Jamal Agnew, DET - 19: $0.65M, 20: $0.74M
Bradley Roby, DEN - 19: $2.5M, 20: $2.5M, 21: $2.5M
Isaiah Oliver, ATL - 19: $0.4M, 20: $0.40 RFA
Tremaine Johnson, NYJ - 19: $1.76M, 20: $1.76M, 21: $1.76M

SAF (5@$7.8M)

Clayton Geathers, IND - 19: $3.0M, 20: $3.0M, 21: $3.0M, 22: $3.0M
Jimmie Ward, SFO - 19: $2.0M, 20: $2.0M, 21: $2.0M
Deionte Thompson, ARI - 19: $0.3M, 20: $0.3M, 21: $0.3M RFA
Dane Cruikshank, TEN - 19: $0.30, 20: $0.30 RFA
Raven Greene, GBP - 19: $0.5M, 20: $0.5M

IR

Dylan Cantrell, LAC - 19: $0.30, 20: $0.30 RFA
Hakeem Butler, ARI - 19: $0.916M, 20: $0.916M, 21: $0.916M, 22: $0.916M, 23: $0.916M
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara mentioned her autism, this is how mine manifests itself. I have to have a puzzle to solve and FF throws up new ones every day, I love lists and putting things in pigeon holes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've avoided starting another NFL thread here, there was one years ago, mainly because I love to write about football..and can waffle of (rant) for paragraphs
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BTW happy to answer any questions for anyone wanting to get into this violent form of chess..Or try to, some subtleties have me reaching for expert advice, Not playing the game or not going to college in the States doesn't help with some of the technical aspects.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Right now it looks lie stud RB Zeke Elliot (DAL) and Melvin Gordon (LAC) are holding out for new contracts through week one. Sensible from them, what is not sensible is they are looking for too much money in a flooded market
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I can watch the Mark Chapman NFL 'Highlights' programme, but would find a whole game too much - I guess largely because I don't really understand the finer details of the game.

I think I've probably mentioned before the only time I've ever been to a game was one of the first games at Wembley (1990 I think) - Raiders v Saints and to be honest the most interesting thing about the afternoon were the Raider cheerleaders (sexist I know, but :roll: )

As an aside in my pile of 'to read' books is one on the NFL - Rich Eisen 'Total Access' is it worth reading and of any general sporting interest to a casual viewer of the NFL, or should I be giving it to the charity shop ?? :duno:

.........…and as a second aside I was talking to a colleague at work today and he and his wife are off to the west coast of the States shortly, starting off in San Fran - where he's taking in a 49ers v Steelers game. He's beside himself as he's a massive Steelers fan :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:14 pm Dynasty football is year round so once you've set it up it sort of runs its self (Everyone does it differently) ...the tricky bit is making sure I have an hour before Sunday KO's at 6pm to check for injuries and adjust if necessary ..Then Sunday evening is two tablets with games on and the laptop set up for red zone while watching MFL and ESPN live fantasy scoring, and chatting on Waccoe's Road to the Super Bowl thread ...love NFL Sundays

I also do a little research for a scouting site, very little but it all helps
Wow you are into it! And yes you know more about my team than me :lol:

I cant cope with Red zone, there is just way too much going on for my brain to cope with, so I usually watch whatever matches Sky have on offer and follow the Panthers on my tablet.

I just checked and it was this day last year that we went to the CFL derby match Hamilton Tiger Cats vs Toronto Argos, what a great night that was! Ok the quality probably isn't as high but the excitement is still the same.
Later that week we were in NY the same time as the Giants season opener at the MET Life but couldn't get tickets which was a bummer.
So who are your favourites for the playoffs?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Niners stadium now of course in Santa Clara about 50 miles from SF (bit like Leeds playing in Blackburn I guess)..he'll love that, open stadium so take sun screen. Love Rich Eisen, very dry sense of humour and an NFL TV legend..I'd give it a go but I'm a fan..

Can't beat the S&B cheerleaders ...
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I have never been able to get into the American sports. When I first came here (pre-internet days) I had zero access to real football, so I tried desperately to get into American football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey. I don't know if it is the way they are so controlled to fit in with the TV requirements, but none of them flow for me. If you dislike the use of VAR because it halts the flow of the game then you probably won't like American football with its stop stop stop start stop stop stop nature. The fact that the TV companies can stop the game to show commercials, using one of their allotted time outs, really bugs me too.
For those who do like it, I hope you have an enjoyable season whoever you follow.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

All things being equal

Pats win the AFCE - Bit of a no brainer. Miami are a dumpster fire, NYJ are very badly coached and the Bills are not quite ready but they're closing
Steelers/Ravens and Browns vie for the AFCN, that could go any way but I always back the Steelers in close divisions. No Bell or Brown this year though, maybe a down year for them
Looks liked Jax had a clear run to the AFCS crown once Luck announced his retirement and the Texans traded away their stud pass rush. They just paid high for Deseasn Watson protection so they're all in next couple of seasons. Tennessee need a QB, if Mariota finally fires then they have a playoff shot
AFCW is tough to call, Chiefs have an awesome offence, Chargers not far behind but better balanced. Denver look to have their nasty D back this year and that carries you a long way..O line improved too so if Flacco can "manage" games they could be dark horses there. Raiders should finish last, they're mess right now imo

So JAX, PATS, Chiefs, Steelers with two of Browns Ravens and Chargers into the AFC playoffs

NFC North is tight, best roster is Minnesota but Zimmer is like Warnock, no imagination wins by making few errors poor man manager. Packers in a semi rebuild but need to be quick about it as ARodg isn't getteing any younger. Lions are a mess, they'll win enough to not get a good draft position but lack top end talent. Bears probably have the best defence in the NFL with the mighty Mack leading the way. Still not sold on their offence but they should make the playoffs

NFC South should be the incredibly talented Saints title to lose, Brees is a legend at QB. Kamara is impossible to defend and they have an elite receiver too. Plus coach Payton will use every trick in the book to win games. Buccs look poor, Falcons will improve on last year and look for a wild card slot and battle for that with the Panthers

NFC East should be the Eagles. The best all round roster in the NFL for me and very deep, their second string would win a few games. Dallas won't be far behind, Giants are in transition and badly run right now..Don't think they know which QB to start. Washington lost their very good QB start of last season to MIN and his decent replacement did himself a possible career ending injury a few games later. Neither Gruden is very good, they'll win a few but shouldn't threaten with a poor QB or rookie if they go that way

NFCW - is always fun, We get the Legion of Boom Mk two getting built in Seattle atm, good offence though. Rams are strong with a top QB in Goff and stud RB if fit Gurley. Niners under achieved once Garoppolo went down last season, fistful of decent receivers dodgy run game. Looks a good fron 7 on defence. And finally we get to see Kliff Kingsbury's Air Raid offence with short arse rookie Kyler Murray at QB....Arizona are early in a complete rebuild so expect nothing but hopefully we'll see flashes of whats to come

Saints, Vikings, Rams, Eagles and two of Cowboys, Seahawks, Panthers or Falcons

Jets Raiders Cardinals Dolphins Buccs should be picking top 5 in some order next draft
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Football is no slower or stop start than say cricket where you get a ball, a leave, a bit of throwing the ball back to the bowler while he ambles back and thirty second later you get the next ball..Then a couple of minutes between over where you could stick in a commercial and they often do..It's what you get used to, I usually have 2/3 games on a time so will just switch my attention. You can do that with football

It's the strategy with football that's so engrossing. It mini wars or battles going on all over the field, it's watching the teams line up at the line of scrimmage, the defensive captain studying the offensive possibilities and reacting by moving a chess piece, the QB seeing this and adjusting accordingly, maybe sending a player in motion or changing the play. It's Defensive ends be they speed rushers or power rushers up against offensive tackles, it watching a really good 0/1 tech get interior penetration and collapse the pocket, the QB understanding that in a heartbeat and throwing on a scramble or setting up a screen on the fly. It's watching an elite RB patiently stacking his blockers as he looks for that 3 second hole he can break through before it snaps shut again..Watching a corner take on a perimeter receiver throughout a game, watching a backer in coverage try to stay withan elite TE as the strong safety patrols the middle ground..

Nothing more beautiful than a safety blitz or watching a blue chip end use speed and power to move a guy up to 100lbs bigger than him out of his way. Watching a QB adjust ever so slightly to force the rusher to miss him completely (Brady a master of this ) then step up into the pocket and deliver a pass into a tight window..right into the stride of his receiver..I love the sport, for such big guys there's so much finesse as well as brutality
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:12 pm Niners stadium now of course in Santa Clara about 50 miles from SF (bit like Leeds playing in Blackburn I guess)..he'll love that, open stadium so take sun screen. Love Rich Eisen, very dry sense of humour and an NFL TV legend..I'd give it a go but I'm a fan..

Can't beat the S&B cheerleaders ...
49ers my team....
Also drove through Santa Clara in 1982....way way way before the 49ers moved there. So disappointed they moved from Candlestick Park.....the last performance there was by Paul McCartney before demolition... :( ....so sad
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Re-U.S. sports, I find I do like baseball, although it's really frenetic during the season - I think something like 162 games per team, although I don't know if that includes post-season games or not. I tend to watch most (not all) St. Louis Cardinals games from July onwards, so I suppose that doesn't make me a true fan, but I do enjoy it.
Basketball is no doubt popular with many, but I can't abide with the high scores - they ought to make the baskets sit 20/30 feet off the floor and it might be more difficult to score. Football is OK but I've never got into it seriously like faaip, and I've been kind of busy this last year with new projects so have not had the time to improve my sport-watching. Going to any live games is a no-no because of the distances involved, although I'd love to watch a Cards game sometime. The trouble is, it's something like 280 miles from home to the stadium and that's untenable for a round trip.
My main sport-watching is the Premier League, so I'm hoping Leeds get back up at long last this year.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm a big NFL fan, not in Faaip's league when it comes to stats etc but I watch it every Sunday.
I'm a Patriots fan and have been since 1986, the year they got to the Superbowl and trounced by the then mighty Chicago Bears.
I just started watching it that year and decided to go with the Pats and they made it all the way only to fall at the final hurdle.
They've been a bit of a dynasty in the last 15-20 years (so it's not been all doom and gloom for me sport wise) and as Faaip says, they look a banker to win the AFC again this season.
If the Patriots are not on live I usually watch Sky's Red Zone because you get the action from all the games as they happen.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden