The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) - Klich is off the boil at the moment, Whelan

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) - Klich is off the boil at the moment, Whelan

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 29th October, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Leeds U23's held by Burnley

Leeds U23's conceded a second half penalty to share the spoils against a Burnley side unbeaten in 13 games. Edmondson headed the Whites in front on 25 minutes. Unfortunately Corberan's fledglings were unable to keep a clean sheet. Struijk was adjudged to have bought down one of the Clarets forwards on the hour mark and the striker made no mistake from 12 yards. Liam Cooper and Jamie Shackleton both started the game, but were substituted at half time. It was noticeable that the Leeds Captain was hobbling when he came off.

Will he be risked against QPR on Saturday? Herhaps Shackleton will start? Will he make a difference to the team?

Whelan highlights Klich dip in form

Noel Whelan believes that Klich form has dipped this term. The former Leeds striker believes the Polish International is sitting too deep in midfield, and as such, he's failing to trouble the opposition as much as last season

Yeah he seems to be off the boil at the minute with his performances.

With what he saw last year, compared to what we saw this year…he hasn’t hit the same standard or level but then saying that I don’t think the whole team has reached the level they were at last year.

But yeah he does seem to be finding it difficult to get into games, to stamp his authority in games that he does because when teams did come and sit in front of Leeds United, he was influential with his runs in around the back as that how he got goals, how he caused problems.

Those little diagonal runs between the centre-halves, but with him sitting so deep, he can’t affect the game that way.

And he really isn’t doing enough in that central area.

Izzy Brown showing Bielsa what he's missing

Izzy Brown endured a torrid time last season. He spent the first half of the season on the treatment table recovering from an ACL injury he had sustained the season before. The second half of the season, Bielsa refused to give the former England U21 an opportunity to show his worth, and was dumped in the U23's.

Whilst its fair to say that Leeds are lacking creativity, one former loanee has taken the Championship by storm. So far this season Brown has 5 league assists (and 1 Cup) to his name; the highest in the league! Could Brown have made a difference to Leeds during the second half of their 18-19 campaign, especially when so many players were suffering from exhaustion!

onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) Klich is off the boil at the moment - Whelan

Post by onemoreslogan »

Morning Ell, and wishing everyone a hearty breakfast!

It's certainly true Klich is not the factor he was last season. I think this goes back to Saiz leaving the team- Klich fell far off then and hasn't been the same since. I think he really fed off the space Saiz created by drawing defenders to him. Now with Pablo also gone Klich has no time with the ball and he's an easy mark for defenders.

Brown was hurt last year and wasn't fit in time to be trusted at the business end of the season. Besides, I don't buy the "suffering from exhaustion" narrative. That was thoroughly debunked by the players and the stats last year. One could make that case for Pablo, maybe, but the rest of the team was fine physically. I feel their struggles were psychological more than anything.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) Klich is off the boil at the moment - Whelan

Post by Irish Ian »

onemoreslogan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:27 am Morning Ell, and wishing everyone a hearty breakfast!

It's certainly true Klich is not the factor he was last season. I think this goes back to Saiz leaving the team- Klich fell far off then and hasn't been the same since. I think he really fed off the space Saiz created by drawing defenders to him. Now with Pablo also gone Klich has no time with the ball and he's an easy mark for defenders.

Brown was hurt last year and wasn't fit in time to be trusted at the business end of the season. Besides, I don't buy the "suffering from exhaustion" narrative. That was thoroughly debunked by the players and the stats last year. One could make that case for Pablo, maybe, but the rest of the team was fine physically. I feel their struggles were psychological more than anything.
Morning onemoreslogan

But how can we separate the mind from the body?

If our players were suffering psychologically then that has a knock on effect of decisions made, recovering from knocks, lack of recovery time between matches, and a whole raft of other side effects.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Agree Klich looks off the pace and I think the entire team is missing Pablo sooner he’s back the better

Saw a few reports on the U23s game apparently Coops was seen later and seemed to be ok so hopefully he’s back for QPR

Shack apparently looked a yard off the pace so may need a couple more games to get back on track, some players do

I for one was gutted for Izzy last season and the couple of minutes he got, he just wasn’t at the races so I’m pleased it seems to be going well for him so far, hope he stays injury free. Would I have him back yea I think I would but I don’t think that Bielsa rates him so he’d be playing for the U23s or sat on the bench getting 5mins here or there
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Hey Ian,

Sure, but I think the psychological issues stemmed from Spygate (ugh) which was more of a distraction than anyone let on, then discord from the Villa game where PJ mutinied and caused a further loss of focus. The whole second half last year was rife with off the field distractions (the Saiz departure, the failed bid for James, etc...).

Injuries played a part, notably Bamford/Roofe, but I think the side would have fared better without all the noise away from the pitch. In my view the tailspin wasn't caused by exhaustion.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

onemoreslogan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:27 am Morning Ell, and wishing everyone a hearty breakfast!

Morning OML, its a difficult one, Klich has been told how to play, but especially effecting his goals. I think he scored 10 goals last season!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Regarding Brown, I understand what you're saying but 30 mins here and there would not have made any difference.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) - Klich is off the boil at the moment, Whelan

Post by onemoreslogan »

I like Brown as a player. I was pulling for him last season and wish him nothing but the best, only it seemed it wasn't meant for it to be with him and Leeds.

I thought Klich scored most of his goals before Christmas, but after checking the stats it appears I was mistaken. He had 5 prior and 5 after. So I might have to rethink that Saiz bit. He did start very hot though- netting five before the end of October.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 29th October) - Klich is off the boil at the moment, Whelan

Post by Ellandback1 »

Accrington Stanley are the surprise winners of a league of shame showing England's dirtiest team.

Clubs such as Leeds United and Millwall have long held reputations for being “dirty”. But new analysis of disciplinary records over the last decade suggests that it’s Accrington Stanley who have the worst discipline in English football.

The Lancashire club have picked up 52 red cards in 429 league games over the last 10 seasons. That works out as one every 8.3 matches.

Peterborough have the next worst record at one red every 8.6 games.

Southend come next with one every 8.8 games, then Sunderland (8.9 games), Northampton (9.1 games), Stevenage (9.3 games) and Brighton (9.7 games).

Top 20 dirtiest
Team - Games per red card

Accrington Stanley - 8.3

Peterborough United - 8.6

Southend United - 8.8

Sunderland - 8.9

Northampton Town - 9.1

Stevenage - 9.3

Brighton & Hove Albion - 9.7

Queens Park Rangers - 9.8

Watford - 9.8

Nottingham Forest - 9.9

Carlisle United - 10

Leeds United - 10

Shrewsbury Town - 10

Milton Keynes Dons - 10.2

Oldham Athletic - 10.2

Swindon Town - 10.2

Newcastle United - 10.3

Charlton Athletic - 10.7

Rochdale - 10.7

Portsmouth - 10.9

Top 20 cleanest
Team - Games per red card

Derby County - 25.2

Burnley - 21.8

Cardiff City - 21.7

Exeter City - 21.5

AFC Bournemouth - 20.6

Crewe Alexandra - 19.5

Doncaster Rovers - 19.4

Brentford - 18.6

Ipswich Town - 18.6

Swansea City - 18.6

Liverpool - 18.5

Tottenham Hotspur - 18.5

Coventry City - 17.2

Bristol City - 17.1

Manchester United - 16.8

Walsall - 16.5

Hull City - 16.2

Colchester United - 15.9

Crystal Palace - 15.7

Norwich City - 15.7
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United are offering fans the chance to watch Saturday morning's Rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa at Elland Road along with a 'bottomless breakfast'.

Eddie Jones' side saw off New Zealand on Saturday to reach the final in Yokomoto, Japan, which will kick off at 9am and is being screened live at the Centenary Pavilion at Elland Road, ahead of Leeds United's home clash against QPR that afternoon.

Fans will also be able to enjoy a buffet-style English breakfast and unlimited draught beer or free-flowing Prosecco for the price of £20.

Complementary tea and coffee will also be served with the event starting at 8.30am and finishing at 11.30am, before the Pavilion opens again at 12noon for the usual pre-match arrangements.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Nottingham Forest FC

✔@NFFC
@MilosevicAlex departs The Reds
#NFFC can confirm that defender Alex Milosevic has left the club by mutual consent
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm Fans will also be able to enjoy a buffet-style English breakfast and unlimited draught beer
Will be limited if one of my East Yorkshire mates turns up :beer: :lol:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:45 pm Nottingham Forest FC

✔@NFFC
@MilosevicAlex departs The Reds
#NFFC can confirm that defender Alex Milosevic has left the club by mutual consent
Free agent.
I wonder if we could afford his wages, he would be a handy player to have around.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:47 am Morning onemoreslogan

But how can we separate the mind from the body?

If our players were suffering psychologically then that has a knock on effect of decisions made, recovering from knocks, lack of recovery time between matches, and a whole raft of other side effects.
Lobotomy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm Leeds United are offering fans the chance to watch Saturday morning's Rugby World Cup final between England and South Africa at Elland Road along with a 'bottomless breakfast'.
I missed the 2003 World Cup Final (when England beat Australia) because I was on my way up to ER as had free tickets and had to get there for 12. Would rather have watched the rugby as Leeds were dismal losing 2-0 to Bolton in the season we went down from the prem. The writing was on the wall even then with James Milner the only player trying.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:52 pm I missed the 2003 World Cup Final (when England beat Australia) because I was on my way up to ER as had free tickets and had to get there for 12. Would rather have watched the rugby as Leeds were dismal losing 2-0 to Bolton in the season we went down from the prem. The writing was on the wall even then with James Milner the only player trying.
Awful day in what was a dreadful season Weasel