Time to Act?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Time to Act?

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

I understand that coronavirus is a relatively mild illness, probably less harmful than regular flu.

So why does it have a larger mortality rate?

I belive thats because most vulnerable people get the flu vaccine so that a higher percentage of those infected are stronger, fitter and most likely to recover, whereas coronavirus because there is no vaccine is hitting a larger proportion of vulnerable people.

That brings me to me. I am 61 with breathing difficulties, diabetes and a heart condition. Basically that makes me vulnerable to coronavirus, but due to flu vaccine not other viruses. I have to accept that getting flu or coronavirus may well prove fatal to me. like i said, unlikely to get flu.

Neither my wife or I work outside the home, I have a 10 year old son living with us.

Question is do u think I should put myself and family in lockdown to avoid catching what could be a fatal virus?

serious question, i am undecided. what do people think?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Time to Act?

Post by Ratscoot »

Hi Peter

I feel people should do what they feel is right for them, I certainly will not be locking myself away , panic buying or staying away from people but I’m sure others will/are doing just that.

The wife and I went shopping earlier today on the downside people were panic buying, on the upside I convinced the wife that there was no need to buy birthday or Xmas cards, presents or Easter eggs as apparently everyone else will be dead
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

100% isolate yourself as much as you can, especially with underlying health conditions. Eat healthy, drink plenty stay strong.
My grandparents are self isolating, I went and did their shopping for them, they still get out and go for a walk etc but are certainly restricting needless activities and contact.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

do u think that should mean keeping my son off school?

the school has authorised it, but remains open and just say they will respect whatever decision i make
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm do u think that should mean keeping my son off school?

the school has authorised it, but remains open and just say they will respect whatever decision i make
Word over here is that kids are the worst spreader of the virus, may not be symptomatic but still carry, so I’d imagine him sitting in a class room could pick it up and bring it home.
On the news over here, they are saying don not give your kids to older people to mind them if you have work, as schools closed here and people are struggling with child care. Read up about other countries advice and make a decision with your wife that’s best for ye
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Seen as you regularly like to count your chickens Peter maybe just get the funeral over and done with ;-)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

On a practical note. I remember reading years ago that the Nobel scientist Linus Pauling recommended taking high doses of vitamin C to counteract colds and flu. Any time I feel the sniffles coming on I will regularly pop a 500 mg tablet or even a couple.

Vitamin C is essential for the functioning of many enzymes in the body and is said to boost white cell production an thus improve the immune system so your body is more capable of fighting of virus infection.

Read more here if you are interested.
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C#

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Probably need to split that Vit C, it flushes out of the system real quick..I take 2 high dose when a cold threatens one twice a day. Anything you can to boost the immune system..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:38 pm So why does it have a larger mortality rate?
It probably just looks that way because we don't know how many people have been unaffected, or recovered quickly without realising they had it.

Whatever you decide is best for you to do, I don't think anything like this is worth living in fear over. Facing and accepting our mortality is a good thing to do, but beyond that we can only live in the moment.
Maltawhite
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Maltawhite »

I'm a type 1 diabetic but I'm otherwise fairly healthy and young ish. More worried about my parents.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

54 and asthmatic, so it'd possibly kill me, but I'm still not stopping indoors.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

58 and Asthmatic, with bronchil issues and Coeliacs...I'm doing everything possible to limit my chances.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42 pm 58 and Asthmatic, with bronchil issues and Coeliacs...I'm doing everything possible to limit my chances.
but are you?

whenever you or anyone goes out it will increase your chances of catching it.

I would be very interested to learn exactly how much precautions you are taking.

are you now housebound? what about the rest of your household,
hector

Post by hector »

I self isolate myself and mrs H as a way of life, we only meet other people when shopping once a week, and of course I meet the odd one when working.....

We only have 1 neighbour in the middle of the wood where we live, and he is a miserable old ba***rd, so weeks can go by without even a grunt from him....

bliss...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:25 am I self isolate myself and mrs H as a way of life, we only meet other people when shopping once a week, and of course I meet the odd one when working.....

We only have 1 neighbour in the middle of the wood where we live, and he is a miserable old ba***rd, so weeks can go by without even a grunt from him....

bliss...
Hector the hermit :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We are cutting down on supermarket trips from 2/3 times a week to once a fortnight at most, my partner is retired and fairly anti social, we don't have kids. I've had a couple of jobs get cancelled which is fair enough so I'm very quiet, the next one now not booked till next month. I guess that will be under threat at some point. We do have carpet fitters about to arrive but that's been booked a month plus. Fingers crossed
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

This thread is beginning to remind me of a Terry Pratchet character hiding in a coffin.

When your time's up, your time's up.

Amor fati.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

SaraM wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:34 pm 54 and asthmatic, so it'd possibly kill me, but I'm still not stopping indoors.
I'm 54 also and mildly asthmatic. Not stopping in, off to Wickes soon to get some stuff.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've had Bronchitus twice, the last one took me 5 months before I could walk upstairs without resting halfway up...I'd rather not go through anything like that again.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I work in an office and all the office staff where I work have been told to work from home next week. Whereas all those on the shop floor have to go in as normal.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden