The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th May) - EFL Statement delights Leeds fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th May) - EFL Statement delights Leeds fans

Post by The Subhuman »

There isn't one, my main beef all through this is us getting called Champions when we're clearly not. Either joint champions or just a generic 3 up with no champion listed.

I'd call for some kind of fair play measures if we went down this season based on ppg or something, I'd certainly fight that, I fully support any team who wants to challenge those rulings, it's their right.

The other thing we could do though I wouldn't like it personally to decide the title would be a one off Charity Shield type game at Wembley a week before official kick off for the new season (only when crowds are allowed back in should that start) For the right to hold the cup for a season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th May) - EFL Statement delights Leeds fans

Post by Ratscoot »

SPL have just been ended and they have named Celtic Champions and relegated Hearts but apparently Hearts are considering legal action based on the little known loophole “we weren’t s**t all season only the bit that was played, we saved all our best games for the last bit of the season and definitely would have won them all”
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm SPL have just been ended and they have named Celtic Champions and relegated Hearts but apparently Hearts are considering legal action based on the little known loophole “we weren’t s**t all season only the bit that was played, we saved all our best games for the last bit of the season and definitely would have won them all”
Scottish league only has one team anyway...I get the sarcastic comment was aimed at me but you don't know they couldn't have gotten 4 points back. What about the playoffs?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

faaip wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:45 pm Scottish league only has one team anyway...I get the sarcastic comment was aimed at me but you don't know they couldn't have gotten 4 points back. What about the playoffs?
Hi Faaip agree on the only one team in Scotland, the sarcastic comment wasn’t aimed at you it’s aimed at the clubs themselves, these are strange and potentially deadly times and as such decisions have to be made that some people aren’t going to like but the points per game is probably the fairest way of making these decisions if the season can’t be completed.

Yes if we were in their place I wouldn’t like it but I would accept it and move on to the next season, in fact if it happened to Leeds we’d all say exactly what we expected from the bloody EFL, moan about it for many years to come and point at it as further proof of the conspiracy against us but we’d get in with it and I for one would hate it if Leeds went to court to try and get it overturned
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

TatleyK wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am The problem is this is not a normal situation. It looks increasingly likely that the season will not be finished. So is it better to come up with a solution to recognise what has happened for over 75% of the season, or just say that nothing that has happened in the previous 9 months has any merit? As someone who has invested a lot of time and money into the season, I for one would be furious if it is decided that this season didn’t happen The best solution is obviously to finish the season, but even that won’t be welcomed by some clubs (especially in the premier league who seem to be trying to find any excuse to work the situation to their own advantage). If the season cannot be concluded then current (or projected positions) must be recognised. I know this will work in our favour, but I would feel the same if we were in the bottom 3.
Me too Tatley

I've spent a fortune watching Leeds all over the country for decades through our ups & downs, for the first time in many many years I firmly believed this was our season, to have our ultimate destination cruelly taken away from us would be a travesty.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ahh OK but I am defending those clubs vigorously on this thread. I'm assuming that Raith get promoted despite only having a point lead. I'd want some compensation for that if I were the team/s hard done by
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Again there's no argument to be made that we have a lot invested in the season as fans, financially or emotionally ...All teams fans have made the same investment.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

The ONLY fair way to do this is to finish the season. If we have to wait another 6 months or until a vaccine has been found then do that. Due to the exceptional circumstances all loans and contracts would have to have the status that they were when the season was halted.
Finish this season and then you can address what to do about the next season which of course hasn't started yet.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I agree with that
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is Bob but the trouble is you then have the contract situations and as such especially in League 1 and 2 a lot of players could leave their clubs, or you have lots of footballers that come to the end of their contracts and will simply be out of work as no other league 1 or 2 side would want to sign them and pay their wages whilst waiting for a season to start up again. As such it definitely makes sense to try to get the season finished by the July 31st contracts deadline.

I think curtailing league 1 and 2 is probably the sensible thing to do as they aren't awash with money and the costs of testing etc would be too high for most of those clubs especially given that they would have no income coming in. They can finish the season and draw a line financially knowing they won't have any more expenses. The main thing though is that promotion and relegation should happen - unlike the farcical decisions made lower down.

I mentioned on a thread earlier in the week that if things were especially close then you maybe have one off matches between sides to determine placings. You would probably only need 2 or 3 of these type matches and could then go into the play-off matches and get the league 1 and 2 seasons finished using just a handful of matches and teams instead of every team and 100s of matches. If you took as an example determining the outcome 2 ways - points per game (so the league table as it is now but if a team had played less games they would be awarded their average points per match for the match not played) and the weighted version where home form away form etc was taken into consideration and then if a team say finished in a different place on the two systems say play-off place in 1 version and just missing in another then the 2 teams have a match, at a neutral venue and the winner gets the place. Decided on sporting merit where it was too close to call - could do that to decide titles too i only a point or two different.

You can't base anything on the potential to go on a winning run. Just look at us when we won was it 7 on the bounce and then led 3-0 against Cardiff. We were in fine form but form changes so quickly in football. So you have to take the fairest ways to make the decisions.

I think they need to try everything they can to finish the Premiership and Championship due mainly to the money involved. Teams need to be relegated/promoted on the pitch otherwise it would get extremely messy with legal challenges due to the vast difference in money between being in the prem or not. I am not worried about the timescale as 9 matches can be played in 4 weeks based on Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday etc so it wouldn't be too taxing fitness wise. As such as long as the league was finished by 31st July (meaning it could start as late as Saturday 4th July) then I don't really see it being a problem if the play-offs was then played in August as I am sure the players of the 4 teams involved would be happy to stay at those clubs for the extra week or two.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Where are the players whose contract are up going to go if no one is playing?
Citing "exceptional conditions" couldn't the contracts be amended to end August 31st or September 30th or February 28th?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If both side agree I see no reason why not. Lets say Berardi doesn't want to do that then he stays a FA till the new season's off season kicks off and he can't be picked up for this season by another team...

Loans could be extended if needed. I mean I guess Marcelo could walk away if he wanted to but I think he's an honorable man
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm It is Bob but the trouble is you then have the contract situations and as such especially in League 1 and 2 a lot of players could leave their clubs, or you have lots of footballers that come to the end of their contracts and will simply be out of work as no other league 1 or 2 side would want to sign them and pay their wages whilst waiting for a season to start up again. As such it definitely makes sense to try to get the season finished by the July 31st contracts deadline.
You could say the same about the bottom three or four from the Championship. Charlton for instance wouldn't be able to field a full side if they lose their loanees.

Luton were always going to go straight back down again, the same has to be said of Barnsley.

It looks like Wigan will may survive, 2 points clear of the drop zone, along with Boro, Hull, a point ahead of Huddersfield.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Personally think they will find a way to finish the season due to the problems the league will face from court action.
I'd take going up on a ppg basis but to say we were champions is pushing it in the extreme.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm You could say the same about the bottom three or four from the Championship. Charlton for instance wouldn't be able to field a full side if they lose their loanees.

Luton were always going to go straight back down again, the same has to be said of Barnsley.

It looks like Wigan will may survive, 2 points clear of the drop zone, along with Boro, Hull, a point ahead of Huddersfield.
Have you worked out a Leeds team if you lose the loanees

GK - Caprile ?
RB - Ayling
CB - Casey?
CB - Cooper
LB - Dallas
DMF - Phillips
RW - Hernandez
CMF - Klich
LW - Alioski
AMF - Roberts?
CF - Bamford

Bench

Roberts - Poveda? - Stevens? - Miazek - Struijk - Douglas - Shackleton
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Hi folks, I took a bit of a break from all things Leeds for a while so haven't been on.

For anyone who has a qualms or pangs of conscience about promoting without having to play out the games just pop over to Youtube and search the Leeds vs West Brom game from April 1971.

If that isn't enough fast forward to Paris 1975.

Those teams were denied the reward due to them because of ineptitude which led to injustice.

Or even look at this season.
Millwall Berras Red and the Penalty. Red overturned retrospectively but Leeds still lost the game.
Fulham Softest penalty in the history of the game
QPR " the sun glare of the sun meant the linesman couldn't see"

So the sooner the powers that be scrap this season, effect promotion and relegation the better.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Looks like we're playing again. June 20th start. Playing Sat / Wed for 5 weeks then playoffs. Most games televised, Sky, some Amazon, some BBC/ITV. Back in training Mon.
Last edited by Gandalf on Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
gessa

Post by gessa »

BobHirst wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 pm Where are the players whose contract are up going to go if no one is playing?
Citing "exceptional conditions" couldn't the contracts be amended to end August 31st or September 30th or February 28th?

The powers that be, have put the wheels in motion for that to happen Bob.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 pm Have you worked out a Leeds team if you lose the loanees

GK - Caprile ?
RB - Ayling
CB - Casey?
CB - Cooper
LB - Dallas
DMF - Phillips
RW - Hernandez
CMF - Klich
LW - Alioski
AMF - Roberts?
CF - Bamford

Not forgetting Bogusz. What a talent that young lad is.

Any body else think he has been held back this season?

Bench

Roberts - Poveda? - Stevens? - Miazek - Struijk - Douglas - Shackleton
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:04 am Fulham would have been after we'd battered them at ER

Best team in the championship which we are deserve to be champions

:celeb:
Fulham, still had Brentford, Forest and West Brom to play also.