Leeds United v Barnsley - MATCH THREAD

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Barnsley - MATCH THREAD - Berardi in for Phillips, Kiko makes the bench

Post by BGwhite »

danhirons wrote:Awful but a win a d we're basically up
Should be...but NOT.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Barnsley - MATCH THREAD - Berardi in for Phillips, Kiko makes the bench

Post by White Riot »

I hope Gotts or Mccalmont get a game on Sunday as that midfield was a mess barring Klich had a very good first half
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:11 pm And I told you all before the game we would go three at the back.....
Yes you did. I daresay we won't be trying that again any time soon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 pm 💯% agree CJ we finally got lucky, which is probably what we needed to get over the line
Teams that win titles have games like that WR.

Bloody awful though :lol:

1st time since the restart we have looked absolutely knackered.

Bout time we had a game like that, as you say we have been the better side tons of times and not won, nice to be on the other side for once.

Barnsley look the best side we have played all season which is absolutely mental :lol:

Sky showed the stats, they have playoff level stats on most things but are bottom for chance conversion.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

danhirons wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 pm 1. changing formation randomly to go three at the back (ayling in the middle of the three ffs?!)
2. seemingly just telling us to lump the ball upfield second half (granted we won but not because this tactic proved effective!)
3. struijk on for harrison?! harrison was arguably our best outlet along with klich, once he'd gone off we had nothing up front
4. even bringing hernandez on at half time was a mistake as we weren't chasing the game but just needed to shut up shop
1. Ayling's played there before, these players know their jobs and Ayling was having a poor game on an individual level so I'm putting this one down to him.
2. We changed to much more defensive tactics in general. I'd bet my crap wage that Bielsa took Barnsley's poor shooting/goal conversion and felt secure enough making the switch would nullify that threat. Surely enough, they had the chances but couldn't finish. Don't forget they were running out of steam the longer it went on. Thy just had more steam than we gave them credit for to begin with. That's football.
3. See above, getting another defender on the pitch actually stabilised us immensely once Strujk got into the game and adapted to the pressure. We didn't need anything up front at that point, we were already ahead. We don't have to win every game 2-0 minimum.
4. That's just hindsight. We had every reason to believe Barnsley would give Pablo all the space in the world - this has been the case all the way up till now so again, no reason to assume differently.

Don't forget we've got Derby in 4 days. The have 2 days rest on us. We need to save legs and if that means a lack of pressing for 45 mins then so be it. I think that's exactly why we parked the bus, no other reason makes sense knowing Bielsa.

Am I saying we played well? God no, but to me that's because our players were caught unawares by Barnsley's intensity and allowed themselves to get bullied, not the tactical decisions. If anything, they made us solid enough to see it out. And we got bullied. I reckon we'd have lost that 3-1 last season.
Last edited by mothbanquet on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm Always liked Mowatt, he is a very good League One, bottom half of the Championship player. Halme clearly had talent, looks like he's filled out a bit now.

I think they have the right strategy, look after the books and they are more than capable of bouncing back.
The Barnsley lad Styles was their best player for me. Mowatt grew into the game as Barnsley got on top. Credit to Barnsley for sniffing blood from a truly, truly oneoff bad performance from the boys.

I think the pressure maybe got to the lads a bit. I agree that the lads looked shot to pieces and knackered for some reason. Bad day at the office today. The lads go again Sunday knowing that if they win they are promoted. Lets do it in style.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

JFH is a really charming man. I love him to bits 😍
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Methinks West Brom might be a little tight tomorrow.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:31 pm Methinks West Brom might be a little tight tomorrow.
WBA have looked tight for a while and not convincing at all. Hopefully they lose and Brentford do too.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Klich was a one man midfield today. Mowatt looked good as he had so much space.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1 PT needed atm. Are we confident after that ? I must say it is worrying but I think Derby away will be easier than Charlton at home. Let's get this sewn up . I can't imagine going into the last game still needing a pt.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm WBA have looked tight for a while and not convincing at all. Hopefully they lose and Brentford do too.
Boring 0-0 between them and the dog botherers will do for me. What a Friday night that would be!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

If ER had been full, we would have lost that one today.
We will play far better v Derby I’m sure of it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:37 pm 1 PT needed atm. Are we confident after that ? I must say it is worrying but I think Derby away will be easier than Charlton at home. Let's get this sewn up . I can't imagine going into the last game still needing a pt.

Agreed. I would hate for it to go to the last game. We need WBA or Brentford to drop points. WBA more likely.

Think we will lose on Sunday due to the quick turnaround.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Finnatic wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:40 pm If ER had been full, we would have lost that one today.
We will play far better v Derby I’m sure of it.
I don't think Derby will play as well as Barnsley either.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm Klich was a one man midfield today. Mowatt looked good as he had so much space.
Correct, Mowatt wouldn't have got a sniff with KP on the pitch. Mowatt got away with an off the ball elbow on Costa that took him out of the game. Maybe bruised/broken ribs, should be reviewed retrospectively
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:45 pm I don't think Derby will play as well as Barnsley either.
Yep, credit to Barnsley. Derby have looked terrible since the restart
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 pm 1. Ayling's played there before, these players know their jobs and Ayling was having a poor game on an individual level so I'm putting this one down to him.
2. We changed to much more defensive tactics in general. I'd bet my crap wage that Bielsa took Barnsley's poor shooting/goal conversion and felt secure enough making the switch would nullify that threat. Surely enough, they had the chances but couldn't finish. Don't forget they were running out of steam the longer it went on. Thy just had more steam than we gave them credit for to begin with. That's football.
3. See above, getting another defender on the pitch actually stabilised us immensely once Strujk got into the game and adapted to the pressure. We didn't need anything up front at that point, we were already ahead. We don't have to win every game 2-0 minimum.
4. That's just hindsight. We had every reason to believe Barnsley would give Pablo all the space in the world - this has been the case all the way up till now so again, no reason to assume differently.

Don't forget we've got Derby in 4 days. The have 2 days rest on us. We need to save legs and if that means a lack of pressing for 45 mins then so be it. I think that's exactly why we parked the bus, no other reason makes sense knowing Bielsa.

Am I saying we played well? God no, but to me that's because our players were caught unawares by Barnsley's intensity and allowed themselves to get bullied, not the tactical decisions. If anything, they made us solid enough to see it out. And we got bullied. I reckon we'd have lost that 3-1 last season.
I don't agree because:

1) i don't remember ayling ever playing centrally in 3 centre backs
2) you seem to kind of accept this was bielsa's fault - it's still his fault if we gave them lots of chances but they didn't take them
3) if you dont have anything upfront the ball keeps coming back and back i.e., putting you under more and more pressure. It worked, fair enough and struijk did well after a while but if we'd kept harrison on up front they wouldn't have been able to put us under so much pressure at the end and commit so many men forward
4) true although I don't think pabs ever plays well in those scrappy games, also when 1 nil up and shutting up shop he's not good at that, which is what we seemed to do second half!

anyway i don't mind at all, happy to agree to disagree because WE'RE ALMOST THERE!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Here's one for you. How do you think we would have fared if Kilo had not been banned?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

danhirons wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 pm I don't agree because:

1) i don't remember ayling ever playing centrally in 3 centre backs
2) you seem to kind of accept this was bielsa's fault - it's still his fault if we gave them lots of chances but they didn't take them
3) if you dont have anything upfront the ball keeps coming back and back i.e., putting you under more and more pressure. It worked, fair enough and struijk did well after a while but if we'd kept harrison on up front they wouldn't have been able to put us under so much pressure at the end and commit so many men forward
4) true although I don't think pabs ever plays well in those scrappy games, also when 1 nil up and shutting up shop he's not good at that, which is what we seemed to do second half!

anyway i don't mind at all, happy to agree to disagree because WE'RE ALMOST THERE!
I'll take that mate, PROMOTION AT PRIDE PARK!!!