The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79036
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Harrison may actually suit the Prem better. A very good LW off the bench at the very least but with bigger needs elsewhere I'll not be moaning if he starting LW in about 6 weeks or so. CB/STR/AMF/LWB and maybe GK are all ahead of wingers.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
-
Overman
- Manager

- Posts: 3324
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm
-
rab_rant
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Just as we have seen lots of new fans come on to the Motforum.andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:50 pm It will be a quiet transfer market. Too much uncertainty over money. Will probably be dominated by loan deals more than anything.
I fully expect that promotion will have peaked the interest of investors.
Radrizzani has many contacts in the media world , and it would not surprise
me in the least, if Bielsa is still at the helm then investment will be forthcoming.
However some of us might not like the bed partners we will be sleeping with,
Bielsa who is a man of honour will not get into bed with just anyone... so it will be interesting
to see what deals will be made.
-
Pykie
- Ballboy

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Hi all, first time, long time.
Been a life long supporter from Aus. What an amazing few weeks.
Thought I'd chime in with some thoughts:
I'm actually of the opposing view regarding the White issue. I think it would be pretty irresponsible to sign him up for £35m+, barring a takeover, that's likely to be about 50% of our entire transfer budget. I know everyone is excited and expecting big things next campaign, but our priority should be to consolidate in 2020 in the premier leagye, ensure we don't go straight back down and try and future proof the side in the event that did happen.
Is signing Ben White worth being relegated? I think most would answer that question pretty easily.
Lucas Martinez Quarta is mooted to us for £9m. That seems like a much smarter piece of bushiness imo. He might not be Ben White (who could legitimately be Englands next superstar center half), but we don't need that right now, we need to spread this transfer budget as far as humanely possible. In 3-4 years, sure.
The extension of Harrisons loan is a great decision, I don't believe it has an obligation. In the event of us outperforming, we then have flexibility next year. It also means we can afford a few other options.
Amer Gojak looks a very likely type and suited to the PL. Exactly the type of player to take us forward, can pick a pass, create goals out of nothing. From what I've seen he should just about be priority no.1 from those mentioned.
Striker is obviously a big issue and is where we should be spending the 'White money' imo.
The other point I want to make is, we can still loan players this year. If anything we will have a far greater opportunity to loan players that we weren't able to last year, especially from continental Europe. The likes of Trapp, Zouma, Kovacic, Kagawa, James Rodriguez, Smalling, Ceballos, Perisic, were all loaned recently.
I'm confident with some smart management, we can fill some of our holes even with some decent loan fee's, temporarily whilst we consolidate our finances in the premier league.
TL;DR.
Been a life long supporter from Aus. What an amazing few weeks.
Thought I'd chime in with some thoughts:
I'm actually of the opposing view regarding the White issue. I think it would be pretty irresponsible to sign him up for £35m+, barring a takeover, that's likely to be about 50% of our entire transfer budget. I know everyone is excited and expecting big things next campaign, but our priority should be to consolidate in 2020 in the premier leagye, ensure we don't go straight back down and try and future proof the side in the event that did happen.
Is signing Ben White worth being relegated? I think most would answer that question pretty easily.
Lucas Martinez Quarta is mooted to us for £9m. That seems like a much smarter piece of bushiness imo. He might not be Ben White (who could legitimately be Englands next superstar center half), but we don't need that right now, we need to spread this transfer budget as far as humanely possible. In 3-4 years, sure.
The extension of Harrisons loan is a great decision, I don't believe it has an obligation. In the event of us outperforming, we then have flexibility next year. It also means we can afford a few other options.
Amer Gojak looks a very likely type and suited to the PL. Exactly the type of player to take us forward, can pick a pass, create goals out of nothing. From what I've seen he should just about be priority no.1 from those mentioned.
Striker is obviously a big issue and is where we should be spending the 'White money' imo.
The other point I want to make is, we can still loan players this year. If anything we will have a far greater opportunity to loan players that we weren't able to last year, especially from continental Europe. The likes of Trapp, Zouma, Kovacic, Kagawa, James Rodriguez, Smalling, Ceballos, Perisic, were all loaned recently.
I'm confident with some smart management, we can fill some of our holes even with some decent loan fee's, temporarily whilst we consolidate our finances in the premier league.
TL;DR.
- andrewjohnsmith
- Superstar

- Posts: 13058
- Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
- Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
I suppose the other view to all this Covid stuff is that there will be a lot of "selling" clubs. With our strong supporter base, commercial set up, and (hopefully) some good business deals, we'd be in a better financial position than most. That said, you'd think there will be a lot of players available on the cheap. (Kind of like our player sales 16 to 20 years ago)rab_rant wrote: ↑Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:49 am Just as we have seen lots of new fans come on to the Motforum.
I fully expect that promotion will have peaked the interest of investors.
Radrizzani has many contacts in the media world , and it would not surprise
me in the least, if Bielsa is still at the helm then investment will be forthcoming.
However some of us might not like the bed partners we will be sleeping with,
Bielsa who is a man of honour will not get into bed with just anyone... so it will be interesting
to see what deals will be made.
-
Leeds1000
- Manager

- Posts: 4157
- Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Interesting take. I think £35m would be all our transfer budget? If that is the case, and with Brighton adamant that White will be their player next season, unfortunately will will have to move on. The last thing we need is another Adams situation.Pykie wrote: ↑Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:42 am Hi all, first time, long time.
Been a life long supporter from Aus. What an amazing few weeks.
Thought I'd chime in with some thoughts:
I'm actually of the opposing view regarding the White issue. I think it would be pretty irresponsible to sign him up for £35m+, barring a takeover, that's likely to be about 50% of our entire transfer budget. I know everyone is excited and expecting big things next campaign, but our priority should be to consolidate in 2020 in the premier leagye, ensure we don't go straight back down and try and future proof the side in the event that did happen.
Is signing Ben White worth being relegated? I think most would answer that question pretty easily.
Lucas Martinez Quarta is mooted to us for £9m. That seems like a much smarter piece of bushiness imo. He might not be Ben White (who could legitimately be Englands next superstar center half), but we don't need that right now, we need to spread this transfer budget as far as humanely possible. In 3-4 years, sure.
The extension of Harrisons loan is a great decision, I don't believe it has an obligation. In the event of us outperforming, we then have flexibility next year. It also means we can afford a few other options.
Amer Gojak looks a very likely type and suited to the PL. Exactly the type of player to take us forward, can pick a pass, create goals out of nothing. From what I've seen he should just about be priority no.1 from those mentioned.
Striker is obviously a big issue and is where we should be spending the 'White money' imo.
The other point I want to make is, we can still loan players this year. If anything we will have a far greater opportunity to loan players that we weren't able to last year, especially from continental Europe. The likes of Trapp, Zouma, Kovacic, Kagawa, James Rodriguez, Smalling, Ceballos, Perisic, were all loaned recently.
I'm confident with some smart management, we can fill some of our holes even with some decent loan fee's, temporarily whilst we consolidate our finances in the premier league.
TL;DR.
My ideal shopping list would be: 2cb, 2cf, 1am, 1lwb. I'm not sure about the Maths. Could we managed that for around £35m?
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19699
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
I think the £35m being bandied about is on the high side. This is a player with no Premiership experience or international experience (I am fairly certain he hasn't even played at the different age categories). Brightom may value him highly but can they guarantee him a starting position, I think it is doubtful. For me even if we did have to spend that sort of money it would be a wise decision as we know he can play in the system and he is used to the playing style and the players around him. Given that it is likely to be a shorter pre-season than normal it would be a far bigger risk to try to integrate a new player especially as we have seen it isn't always easy to get up to speed for Bielsa's demands.
The first priority is to not weaken the team so that means trying to keep what we have in terms of first team players. For the White situation just imagine instead us selling KP for £35m and then signing a cheaper replacement. That is really the same as not singing White (if we can).
I am surprised to hear this stuff about loaning Harrison for another year. I would have thought that for the fee agreed to be able to sign him we would have snapped him up. Possibly just a way to get around ffp again and then signing him in a year's time when we would hopefully be financially stable and not have the commitments we already have with signing Costa, having to sign White or a replacement, and the JKA potential fee.
The first priority is to not weaken the team so that means trying to keep what we have in terms of first team players. For the White situation just imagine instead us selling KP for £35m and then signing a cheaper replacement. That is really the same as not singing White (if we can).
I am surprised to hear this stuff about loaning Harrison for another year. I would have thought that for the fee agreed to be able to sign him we would have snapped him up. Possibly just a way to get around ffp again and then signing him in a year's time when we would hopefully be financially stable and not have the commitments we already have with signing Costa, having to sign White or a replacement, and the JKA potential fee.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41704
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
According to Phil Hay.
Qatar Airways wont be the new sponsor.
No new on QSI more likely to be 49ers if any investment (that is majorly disappointing, Radz desperation meant 49ers got a cheap deal, we need proper investment not to be a pet project for an American football team).
Upgrades to stadium planned.
Confirmed we have looked at Lucas Quarta and Adolfo Gaich.
Odsonne Edouard is unlikely (far to expensive).
Like Benrahma (as do half of the Prem).
More likely to go for Championship and domestic players.
Angus Gunn has been mentioned as a goalkeeper target.
Like Buendia
Amazon Doc will return but less episodes
Adidas is done and could be announced next week.
John Swift is another the club like.
Qatar Airways wont be the new sponsor.
No new on QSI more likely to be 49ers if any investment (that is majorly disappointing, Radz desperation meant 49ers got a cheap deal, we need proper investment not to be a pet project for an American football team).
Upgrades to stadium planned.
Confirmed we have looked at Lucas Quarta and Adolfo Gaich.
Odsonne Edouard is unlikely (far to expensive).
Like Benrahma (as do half of the Prem).
More likely to go for Championship and domestic players.
Angus Gunn has been mentioned as a goalkeeper target.
Like Buendia
Amazon Doc will return but less episodes
Adidas is done and could be announced next week.
John Swift is another the club like.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13923
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Excellent point. We all saw how long it took new players to reach the fitness levels and practice time required to take part in Bielsa's system. With the short off season this year, it's going to be difficult to integrate new players properly.weasel wrote: ↑Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:29 am For me even if we did have to spend that sort of money it would be a wise decision as we know he can play in the system and he is used to the playing style and the players around him. Given that it is likely to be a shorter pre-season than normal it would be a far bigger risk to try to integrate a new player especially as we have seen it isn't always easy to get up to speed for Bielsa's demands.
-
Peter in Blackpool
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 565
- Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
I was at the game in 2004 against Bolton that sealed our relegation.
I stayed behind and got myself to the door of the Leeds coach to applaud and thank the team for their efforts.
I recall one player literally crying as he boarded the coach, so instinctively I gave him a hug.....it was a 18 year old james milner....would absolutely love to have him back in the team
I stayed behind and got myself to the door of the Leeds coach to applaud and thank the team for their efforts.
I recall one player literally crying as he boarded the coach, so instinctively I gave him a hug.....it was a 18 year old james milner....would absolutely love to have him back in the team
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14813
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
For me, we need at least one CH (Coops has been great captain and leader, but VAR will crucify him for his hands on at set-pieces and corners) depending on the Ben White situation, a new Pablo (where the f**k do you get him from???) and a striker. That's the minimum requirement. No idea who these players should be as I don't really pay attention to other clubs' personnel, but I've no doubt Bielsa knows who he wants.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14813
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
And that's all on the basis that MB signs a new contract. We all know how single-minded he is, he may feel his job is done, the objective has been achieved and he wants to go home. I hope not, but I don't think we can take him being at the helm next season for granted. Should be, and appears to be from reports, Radz, Kinner and Orta's first priority.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22381
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
I think we'll need an experienced GK as I expect that Kiko will go back to Spain.
We need at least one cente-half and would prefer two, if we can get White on loan, or for a reasonable price fair do's.
DCM and ACM are a must, but do we already have these in Shack, Gotts, McAlmont and Bogusz?
If Douglas plays like he can then we already have him and LD at left-back.
Striker is another must, as Bamford is not good or consistent enough for PL.
Our transfer budget needs to be well managed. We've already spent a lot on Costa.
We need at least one cente-half and would prefer two, if we can get White on loan, or for a reasonable price fair do's.
DCM and ACM are a must, but do we already have these in Shack, Gotts, McAlmont and Bogusz?
If Douglas plays like he can then we already have him and LD at left-back.
Striker is another must, as Bamford is not good or consistent enough for PL.
Our transfer budget needs to be well managed. We've already spent a lot on Costa.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79036
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Really tough year to be going up with very little time to get in and bed in new players, I figure a brand new CB partnership with two new players will take 10 games plus, with one already used to the system it would be less. I'd be happier if we could start with White and Cooper but it's unlikely.
Don't forget all incoming players must have a firm grasp of Bielsa's system and that takes time, they also need to be Bielsa fit...
Don't forget all incoming players must have a firm grasp of Bielsa's system and that takes time, they also need to be Bielsa fit...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- andrewjohnsmith
- Superstar

- Posts: 13058
- Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
- Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
A few people have made the point that Bielsa doesn't rush to get new players into the starting 11. Even good players like Nketiah. The Leeds Live guys think he'll stay loyal to the existing squad (Berardi is the only one out of contract). It's a complicated system that takes time to learn, so I'm sure the starting 11 won't change immediately. Cooper, Meslier, Bamford, Roberts, may all be questionable, but I think everyone except Berardi will still be part of the squad next year.
The only immediate gap is DC, which may be Ben White or someone else. Any other signings will probably only be slowly integrated - LB, CB, ST, AMC, but all as back up to the current players, but good enough to push them for a place.
The only immediate gap is DC, which may be Ben White or someone else. Any other signings will probably only be slowly integrated - LB, CB, ST, AMC, but all as back up to the current players, but good enough to push them for a place.
-
Peter in Blackpool
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 565
- Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Although he has done wonderful things for us over the last 2 years, he is not in the hall of fame of being a great manager in the class of fergie or don revie or bill shankly. If he wants to be regarded as one of the worlds greats then he has the opportunity now to take Leeds further and really become the new don revielufc1304 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:47 am And that's all on the basis that MB signs a new contract. We all know how single-minded he is, he may feel his job is done, the objective has been achieved and he wants to go home. I hope not, but I don't think we can take him being at the helm next season for granted. Should be, and appears to be from reports, Radz, Kinner and Orta's first priority.
-
Peter in Blackpool
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 565
- Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
no one mentioned JKA yet. Are we now obliged to sign him?
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23129
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Are there any Championship players that would improve our stating eleven in the PL? A lot of players struggle to set up.
Two players I'd love to see us sign, Thiago Almada (£14m release clause) and Jayden Braaf from Man City (next Sancho who wants first team football).
Two players I'd love to see us sign, Thiago Almada (£14m release clause) and Jayden Braaf from Man City (next Sancho who wants first team football).
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23129
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Callum Wilson if Bournemouth go down? As long as not silly money like £20m+
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41704
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
2 more Argentinian players linked (SG be happy)
The 1st is 22 year old Argentinian international striker Nicolas Gonzalez. Scored 15 goals.for Stuttgart in German 2nd division.
The 2nd (is absolutely not going to happen) is the latest "next Messi". Linked to absolutely everyone.
Thiago Almada, an absolute baller who will end up at one of the current elite. But nice to dream.
Edit linked in Argentinian press both of them.
The 1st is 22 year old Argentinian international striker Nicolas Gonzalez. Scored 15 goals.for Stuttgart in German 2nd division.
The 2nd (is absolutely not going to happen) is the latest "next Messi". Linked to absolutely everyone.
Thiago Almada, an absolute baller who will end up at one of the current elite. But nice to dream.
Edit linked in Argentinian press both of them.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom