Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155415
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by 1964white »

Patrick Bamford

A starter in our first X1

Retain as a squad player

Thank you very much, sadly time to move on

Loan out to another club

Seasons rating out of ten

Dont forget to give a rating out of 10
Clacton White
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2074
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by Clacton White »

Where do you start here . What can you say that hasn't been said .
Ideally move on , but no replacement right now .
I think 5 is generous , but he knows the Bielsa system . This one is an odd one and beyond anything logical . He will start and he will miss loads .
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23144
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by SG90 »

Squad player at best, but he'll be a definite starter. Hope we can get Cabral in.

6/10 - definitely played his part and scored some big goals, but also cost us definitely 100 points and maybe even the record points total.
Last edited by SG90 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14660
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by hector »

get rid for me
the number of missed chances, and the number of times he gave up on his run into the box would have made me lose my hair (if I had any)

3/10 for knowing the system and managing to sort of remember it......
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79125
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by The Subhuman »

I shall pass on this one for obvious reasons
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155415
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by 1964white »

These posts are making me howl with laughter, tears rolling down my face :lol:

:rol: :rol: :rol:
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by Denman »

Good and bad. Works like a dog, and integral to the system. Strong, quicker than some think, and brings others into the game. BUT .........extremely poor conversion rate, and I’m not swayed by arguments that he is often not in the right place due to his other commitments to the team. He’s a striker, and given the chances we create he should imo have got at least 25 goals.

For me he isn’t near to being a PL player, so thanks for the memories Paddy but time to look for pastures new. 5/10.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Starter - based on Bielsa's faith and reluctance to replace. I think we'll sign another striker, but it will be a gradual phasing in before a new signing surpasses Bamford

6/10
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14660
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:46 pm These posts are making me howl with laughter, tears rolling down my face :lol:

:rol: :rol: :rol:
You do realise, that if you ridicule peoples posts and opinions, it tends to stop them posting their thoughts in further threads...

Just saying... :)
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155415
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:37 am You do realise, that if you ridicule peoples posts and opinions, it tends to stop them posting their thoughts in further threads...

Just saying... :)
I'm not ridiculing them, I agree with those opinions & the way they are worded makes me laugh

Just laughing :lol:
User avatar
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4222
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by Ratscoot »

Just got this in from Bielsa

Keep
100% Starter
8.5/10 for the season

My thoughts

Get rid, Happy to give him a lift back to his very large mansion
100% not a Prem striker, a mid table Championship Striker at best
Season rating: I went for a 8/10 but missed, fell over the rebound and gently chipped it to the keeper so 5/10
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Ratscoot wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:45 am Just got this in from Bielsa

Keep
100% Starter
8.5/10 for the season

My thoughts

Get rid, Happy to give him a lift back to his very large mansion
100% not a Prem striker, a mid table Championship Striker at best
Season rating: I went for a 8/10 but missed, fell over the rebound and gently chipped it to the keeper so 5/10
As far as I'm concerned another one of Orta's failure signings. We would have been promoted in 18/19 most likely with a better striker. Bamford's goals dried up towards the end of that season if you remember.

His headed efforts at goal and the efforts with his right foot account for a large proportion of his poor finishing. I would have preferred us to have got rid of Bamford and kept Roofe, except that Roofe has had all kinds of injury problems. He was a much more instinctive finisher though than Bamford, and right now that's what we lack. Working hard doesn't mean much - for 30k a week or whatever it is I would bloody well hope that he does run around hard for 90 mins.....that's the absurdity of the money washing around in football these days. Ian Rush, Gary Lineker, Glenn Hoddle and Bryan Robson combined wouldn't have earnt that kind of annual income back in the 1980s - they were probably on about 250K a year each.

If Bamford starts the season with one of his 10 to 12 game goal droughts then we could be in trouble right from the start. He has 1 goal in 27 PL appearances so far....

A squad player at best 5/10. 16 goals in a title winning team which created twice as many chances as most teams last season is ridiculous. Ideally we should get rid of him, but Orta got us into the JKA fiasco and doesn't seem capable of finding/ signing a decent striker on the right terms. Ideally get rid of both Bamford and Orta !
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 am
Location: N.Ireland

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by billysboots »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 am Starter - based on Bielsa's faith and reluctance to replace. I think we'll sign another striker, but it will be a gradual phasing in before a new signing surpasses Bamford

6/10
Yep, this is my take on it as well.
There Is Only One United.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14660
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by hector »

we got promoted in spite of Bamford and not because of him......
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3239
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by mothbanquet »

I knew this one would be entertaining...

I've been a defender and a critic of Bamford throughout the season, and this is the one player where I can't really argue with people praising him or slagging him off. I think the former can be guilty of ignoring obvious flaws at times while the latter do the same with his strengths.

I was going to give a very average score but I just have to counterbalance some of the crazy harsh emotion-driven scores we're going to see here, but for me he's a squad player next season assuming we can get hold of a better striker - which I don't think many can disagree on.

7/10 (adjusted for fan malice :P)
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 am
I don't buy into this idea that Bamford helps make the system work either. Roofe had lots of movement and helped make the system work - any decent striker should be able to do this.
User avatar
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3239
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 pm I shall pass on this one for obvious reasons
Mate this could be your last chance. You've done remarkably well in your vow of silence, now's the time to vent. :)
Clacton White
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2074
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by Clacton White »

hector wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:37 am You do realise, that if you ridicule peoples posts and opinions, it tends to stop them posting their thoughts in further threads...

Just saying... :)
Doesn't stop them on Squareball , that place is completely toxic . The most poisonous atmosphere I've seen on any chat site . I think people here are far more relaxed and tolerant .
Clacton White
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2074
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by Clacton White »

hector wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 am we got promoted in spite of Bamford and not because of him......
Indeed . I think it could have been sealed (promotion ) near or just after lockdown if he was more productive......it's going to matter in the Premium .....a LOT .
User avatar
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3239
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Player Profile : Patrick Bamford

Post by mothbanquet »

Clacton White wrote: ↑Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:08 am Doesn't stop them on Squareball , that place is completely toxic . The most poisonous atmosphere I've seen on any chat site . I think people here are far more relaxed and tolerant .
For sure pal, this is the first forum I joined for many a year. Never had any patience for internet willy-waving, just no point in getting into confrontations with pixels on a screen. I'm no saint by any stretch but I do at least try not to take owt personally.
Post Reply