The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th August) - Rodrigo deal edges closer as Valencia identify replacement

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th August) - Rodrigo deal edges closer as Valencia identify replacement

Post by onemoreslogan »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm That's the thing - 4 goals and 7 assists in the league last year apparently, hardly prolific - so is he being signed as our main striker?
I think it would give Bielsa plenty of new potential attacking permutations.

He could simply slide into Pablo's spot and give him a rest. He could push Bamford onto the bench. Or Costa. Or Jack. Or he could be used in a two at the top formation if he wanted to go that way. All that and he's delivered at the highest level.

The appeal is obvious to me.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 25th August) - Rodrigo deal edges closer as Valencia identify replacement

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

A few days ago Phil Hay said chances were really slim on Rodrigo. Wonder whta he says now. I did wonder why, if Rodrigo was such a bargain, more clubs werent jumping in. I'm not excited yet. Not even watching the You Tube videos. I'll jump on the bandwagon when we actually sign someone.

Take a knee is a big deal for me. It's about more than George Floyd and Black Lives Matter. I've lived under Trump for 4 years and he's the most pathetic, egotistical president the US has ever seen. He's a danger to America and the world. He's singlehandedly sustaining Covid in the US. I want him Gone! Taking a knee was initially a statement against Trump after he condoned the actions of white supremists at a rally. He turned the whole thing around. Said it was a slight against the flag and the military to deflect that fact that it was just a slight against him. He hates the NFL and the NBA but the players (who are predominantly black) hate him too. I want him gone in November and I'll keep taking a knee until we get a fair and just American president that cares about all the people and stops fuelling the flames of racism.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Rodrigo looks a massive improvement on Bamford, I would consider him a good signing.

No politics for me, thanks.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 pm
But dont get hung up on the negatives bud :)
I'm not negative at all Cjay, I know he's a very versatile player and will be a great asset, I'm just trying to work out what our intentions for him are likely to be given that it's big sidestep from our usual approach.

Reading assessments his primary skills appear to be hold-up play and picking a defence-splitting pass, so I'm wondering if he's to be groomed as the Pablo replacement for the next few years.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:29 pm I'm not negative at all Cjay, I know he's a very versatile player and will be a great asset, I'm just trying to work out what our intentions for him are likely to be given that it's big sidestep from our usual approach.

Reading assessments his primary skills appear to be hold-up play and picking a defence-splitting pass, so I'm wondering if he's to be groomed as the Pablo replacement for the next few years.
Think maybe he could be a replacement for Pablo, he had the 2nd best minutes to assist ratio in La Liga i read of players with more than 5 assists behind Lionel Messi.

But imo he plays a bit like a 10 when played as a striker even for Spain. Link up play, dropping deep etc. Its similar to Bamford for us who doesnt really play like a proper striker.

Maybe thats it? Bielsa wants a player similar to Bamford in style? He clearly didnt want a poacher like Eddie so perhaps he is our new striker?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:39 pm Think maybe he could be a replacement for Pablo, he had the 2nd best minutes to assist ratio in La Liga i read of players with more than 5 assists behind Lionel Messi.

But imo he plays a bit like a 10 when played as a striker even for Spain. Link up play, dropping deep etc. Its similar to Bamford for us who doesnt really play like a proper striker.

Maybe thats it? Bielsa wants a player similar to Bamford in style? He clearly didnt want a poacher like Eddie so perhaps he is our new striker?
Think you may have worked it out there bud, time will tell. I find second-guessing Marcelo is a fools errand but I cant help myself. :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

If Bielsa wants him, thats good enough for me ...and fully agree with onemoreslogan's comment "I think it would give Bielsa plenty of new potential attacking permutations.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

In what way is Cabal a better player than Rodrigo? Genuine question, for those who think it.

Seems to me we do well with an injection of experience in the team, a la Pablo, so I'm not concerned about his age or resale. I want to see the best possible team that Marcelo can put on the pitch this season, that is all.

I support the aims of BLM, but think certain gestures can become counterproductive after a while.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

SaraM wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:17 pm In what way is Cabal a better player than Rodrigo? Genuine question, for those who think it.

Seems to me we do well with an injection of experience in the team, a la Pablo, so I'm not concerned about his age or resale. I want to see the best possible team that Marcelo can put on the pitch this season, that is all.

I support the aims of BLM, but think certain gestures can become counterproductive after a while.
We want both
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:26 pm We want both
Cabal and Rodrigo, or youth and experience? Or the best team on the pitch and the best resale value?

Sorry for the confusion!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

SaraM wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 pm Cabal and Rodrigo, or youth and experience? Or the best team on the pitch and the best resale value?

Sorry for the confusion!
Cabal and Rodrigo.

I'll change that - I wan't both!!!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Rodrigo, Koch and Cabral would be very good, if we can get it done. We'd still have a loan spot available too.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Looking like the Rodrigo deal is done, 30m euro + 10m bonuses. Clinic arranged for medical (allegedly).

http://sportwitness.co.uk/spain-claims- ... m-bonuses/

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/clin ... le-journo/
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm Looking like the Rodrigo deal is done, 30m euro + 10m bonuses. Clinic arranged for medical (allegedly).

http://sportwitness.co.uk/spain-claims- ... m-bonuses/

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/clin ... le-journo/
Yes the deal is agreed, done & dusted apparently :scar1
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

27M with another 9 in bonuses.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1 down, ? to go
gessa

Post by gessa »

Many were surprised when we let Clarke Oduor go to Barnsley, highly rated star of the future it was said.
Did we let him go too soon, should he just have been sent out on loan, as he was so well thought of.
Sheff Utd ready to sign him apparently.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Happy with that, an upgrade up front. The lad will be expected to score loads in this system.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Lot of flexibility with this signing as Rodrigo could slot in as either a 9 or a 10.

A genuine Spanish international.

Now let's get Koch in here and I can start feeling better.
gessa

Post by gessa »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 pm

Now let's get Koch in here and I can start feeling better.
Double entendre