Buendia is top class, hence his price bracket. And we need a creative mid now, not at some future point when we’ve developed a youngster sufficiently to take over Pablo’s mantle.andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:03 pm Don't think we should be signing anyone as an 8 or a 10 unless they're top class. Otherwise give Poveda and Shackleton more playing time
The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Carrick Dave
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 6743
- Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
- Lumiukko
- First Team

- Posts: 2375
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm
- Location: Santa Monica, USA
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Wanted to give my thoughts on some of the current team, transfer activities, and rumors. Thought it best to put all in one place so apologies if some of these thoughts should go in various threads and this may end up long. So in no particular order:
The need for a CAM:
I would be over the moon with RDP still. Has some pedigree and clearly wants to come to Leeds, but have to agree that 40mill is a heck of a lot of moolah. If we could snag him at 32mill I would be happy and would maybe go as far as 35mill. He basically carried the whole Udinese team last season, and looks to have strength and guile on the ball, and happy to track and tackle when off the ball. A complete midfielder. If we don’t snag him now I hope to see him in a Leeds shirt in the January window should we still need someone.
However, with Cuisance looking like it might be all but done and dusted, he also looks a real prospect. However, I’m slightly concerned to his attitude, and though he has played number of times in a formidable Bayern team, I’m wary of his lack of experience in playing that lynchpin number 10 role that Pablo has performed so admirably in over the last couple of seasons.
Pablo:
Clearly on the downward slope of his career but still capable of magic and frequent sub appearances. Will show his worth as the season progresses and injuries occur.
Tyler Roberts:
I like the guy but he has frustrated me a lot since project restart. Admittedly played out of his best position, he hasn’t showed much. I’d love to see him sent out on loan to a top Championship team as a forward and get some decent minutes under his belt to a) See if he can cut it given time, and b) See if he isn’t made of biscuits.
Klich:
What can be said; to me the most important player in our current side, even more so than KP (controversial, who me?). Just does everything effectively and is a machine. Can’t believe we nearly dumped him.
Costa/Harrison:
Both look much better suited to Premier League, particularly Costa whose class is showing through finally. Harrison is still young himself and developing well. Definitely deserve their chance at PL and I’d be of the mind to make Jack’s loan permanent in January feeing up a loan spot in case we need it.
Bamford:
I’ve been a Paddy knocker in the past, and so happy he is making me eat my words and then some. Also the better tactical analysis of Premier League TV coverage is also highlighting just how integral he is to the team, which takes me to:
Rodrigo M.:
Against the Blunts, I saw some real glimpses of what he could do for us. His ability to turn in tight spaces, hold the ball up, and play in others makes him my current (incoming players withstanding) replacement for Pablo. I think there’s a lot we will see from this guy this season and I actually expect him to start against Man City. Looks like he has one hell of a peg on him too with that shot that nearly took the Blunts defenders noggin off.
The dilemma then becomes, what to do with Rodders if we get a CAM/10 in? Bamford is hard to drop currently, so I’m thinking Bielsa has some formation/tactical changes that he’s holding close to his chest right now.
Koch/Llorente:
Koch looked at home yesterday and will go from strength to strength. In fact he was pretty unlucky in his first two games and played well in my humblest opinion. Llorente, hard to know right now, but to me he looks a great prospect and very flexible where he can be played. But is he happy to be a bench player behind Koch, Coops, and KP? Again, I think Bielsa has something unexpected in mind.
GK/Casillas:
Rumour I read somewhere today is that Kiko is on his way back to Spain. If so we need to get in an experienced number 2 for Meslier, and I think that remaining loan spot is (or should be) earmarked for Romero from Scum. Would love to see him come in.
James/Cantwell:
James seems to be a nice kid who has been treat pretty bad by Scum. Bielsa likes him, James was pretty much through the door and happy to come, and that latter point makes him a great addition. He seems like a kid who would be happy to learn from God himself. Cantwell, well, played pretty well for most of last season, but something strikes me as a bit off about him, mostly in terms of his ego or attitude. I might be wrong and would be happy to proved wrong too. Clearly has talent and more flexible than James. I don’t see the need for either, personally, but would warm more to James who I think needs the metaphoric Leeds United arm around the shoulder.
U23s:
Liking the look of our new acquisitions, namely Greenwood, Gelhardt, and Drameh. Would have loved to have sized up Jimmy Summerville today (surely with that nickname will become a fans favourite), but expect him to play a big part of Friday’s U23 game. Letting Tyler Roberts go on loan means we have two first team strikers available, but would already be happy to bring in Gelhardt or Greenwood in an emergency. Btw, honourable mention to Huggins who has a great future IMO.
League Cup/FA Cup:
I was unhappy with Bielsa (rare thing for me) when we put out a second string team against Dull. We really need these cup competitions to keep fringe/bench players sharp and happy with game time. I fully expect Bielsa to treat the FA cup with a lot of respect and play strong sides with only minor changes; some of those being established bench players Struijk, Shacks, and some of those being the likes of maybe Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, and Summerville.
Struck/Shacks:
Love these two, especially Struijk who is going to become a beast of the game. Great future in store for him, with the physical presence to truly dominate once he’s learnt his trade a bit more. Still prone to the odd mistake but definitely a talent. As for Shacks, my feeling he needs to learn some of his other positions a bit better to make him a new Stuart Dallas, able to play reliably in many positions.
Bielsa/Tactics:
Love Bielsa and not much to say other than I hope he stays longer than one year and sees us into Europe and the continued progress of our project. The one point I want to make is the apparent confusion of signing apparent first team players with nowhere to play them. I truly think that Bielsa is worried about teams working out his formation strategy and is formulating some new formations to keep things fresh and prevent his being worked out. Hence a two up front with BamBam and Rodders, or 3 orthodox CBs with Koch, Cooper, and Llorente. We know he wouldn’t sanction these transfers without some reason to use them, more than just cover.
Lastly, another thought I have is in the origins of many of our transfer targets or academy players. It sort of looks like a consideration is being made to make signings feel at home. I’ve noticed that many of the targets have a fellow countryman/language speaker to help them bed in, e.g:
Summerville: Struijk
Bogusz: Klich
Rodrigo M/Llorente: Pablo (also RDP if we sign him)
Cuisance: Meslier
Koch: Alioski/Klich (both can speak German)
Phew! Don’t expect such exhausting posts from me in the future
The need for a CAM:
I would be over the moon with RDP still. Has some pedigree and clearly wants to come to Leeds, but have to agree that 40mill is a heck of a lot of moolah. If we could snag him at 32mill I would be happy and would maybe go as far as 35mill. He basically carried the whole Udinese team last season, and looks to have strength and guile on the ball, and happy to track and tackle when off the ball. A complete midfielder. If we don’t snag him now I hope to see him in a Leeds shirt in the January window should we still need someone.
However, with Cuisance looking like it might be all but done and dusted, he also looks a real prospect. However, I’m slightly concerned to his attitude, and though he has played number of times in a formidable Bayern team, I’m wary of his lack of experience in playing that lynchpin number 10 role that Pablo has performed so admirably in over the last couple of seasons.
Pablo:
Clearly on the downward slope of his career but still capable of magic and frequent sub appearances. Will show his worth as the season progresses and injuries occur.
Tyler Roberts:
I like the guy but he has frustrated me a lot since project restart. Admittedly played out of his best position, he hasn’t showed much. I’d love to see him sent out on loan to a top Championship team as a forward and get some decent minutes under his belt to a) See if he can cut it given time, and b) See if he isn’t made of biscuits.
Klich:
What can be said; to me the most important player in our current side, even more so than KP (controversial, who me?). Just does everything effectively and is a machine. Can’t believe we nearly dumped him.
Costa/Harrison:
Both look much better suited to Premier League, particularly Costa whose class is showing through finally. Harrison is still young himself and developing well. Definitely deserve their chance at PL and I’d be of the mind to make Jack’s loan permanent in January feeing up a loan spot in case we need it.
Bamford:
I’ve been a Paddy knocker in the past, and so happy he is making me eat my words and then some. Also the better tactical analysis of Premier League TV coverage is also highlighting just how integral he is to the team, which takes me to:
Rodrigo M.:
Against the Blunts, I saw some real glimpses of what he could do for us. His ability to turn in tight spaces, hold the ball up, and play in others makes him my current (incoming players withstanding) replacement for Pablo. I think there’s a lot we will see from this guy this season and I actually expect him to start against Man City. Looks like he has one hell of a peg on him too with that shot that nearly took the Blunts defenders noggin off.
The dilemma then becomes, what to do with Rodders if we get a CAM/10 in? Bamford is hard to drop currently, so I’m thinking Bielsa has some formation/tactical changes that he’s holding close to his chest right now.
Koch/Llorente:
Koch looked at home yesterday and will go from strength to strength. In fact he was pretty unlucky in his first two games and played well in my humblest opinion. Llorente, hard to know right now, but to me he looks a great prospect and very flexible where he can be played. But is he happy to be a bench player behind Koch, Coops, and KP? Again, I think Bielsa has something unexpected in mind.
GK/Casillas:
Rumour I read somewhere today is that Kiko is on his way back to Spain. If so we need to get in an experienced number 2 for Meslier, and I think that remaining loan spot is (or should be) earmarked for Romero from Scum. Would love to see him come in.
James/Cantwell:
James seems to be a nice kid who has been treat pretty bad by Scum. Bielsa likes him, James was pretty much through the door and happy to come, and that latter point makes him a great addition. He seems like a kid who would be happy to learn from God himself. Cantwell, well, played pretty well for most of last season, but something strikes me as a bit off about him, mostly in terms of his ego or attitude. I might be wrong and would be happy to proved wrong too. Clearly has talent and more flexible than James. I don’t see the need for either, personally, but would warm more to James who I think needs the metaphoric Leeds United arm around the shoulder.
U23s:
Liking the look of our new acquisitions, namely Greenwood, Gelhardt, and Drameh. Would have loved to have sized up Jimmy Summerville today (surely with that nickname will become a fans favourite), but expect him to play a big part of Friday’s U23 game. Letting Tyler Roberts go on loan means we have two first team strikers available, but would already be happy to bring in Gelhardt or Greenwood in an emergency. Btw, honourable mention to Huggins who has a great future IMO.
League Cup/FA Cup:
I was unhappy with Bielsa (rare thing for me) when we put out a second string team against Dull. We really need these cup competitions to keep fringe/bench players sharp and happy with game time. I fully expect Bielsa to treat the FA cup with a lot of respect and play strong sides with only minor changes; some of those being established bench players Struijk, Shacks, and some of those being the likes of maybe Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, and Summerville.
Struck/Shacks:
Love these two, especially Struijk who is going to become a beast of the game. Great future in store for him, with the physical presence to truly dominate once he’s learnt his trade a bit more. Still prone to the odd mistake but definitely a talent. As for Shacks, my feeling he needs to learn some of his other positions a bit better to make him a new Stuart Dallas, able to play reliably in many positions.
Bielsa/Tactics:
Love Bielsa and not much to say other than I hope he stays longer than one year and sees us into Europe and the continued progress of our project. The one point I want to make is the apparent confusion of signing apparent first team players with nowhere to play them. I truly think that Bielsa is worried about teams working out his formation strategy and is formulating some new formations to keep things fresh and prevent his being worked out. Hence a two up front with BamBam and Rodders, or 3 orthodox CBs with Koch, Cooper, and Llorente. We know he wouldn’t sanction these transfers without some reason to use them, more than just cover.
Lastly, another thought I have is in the origins of many of our transfer targets or academy players. It sort of looks like a consideration is being made to make signings feel at home. I’ve noticed that many of the targets have a fellow countryman/language speaker to help them bed in, e.g:
Summerville: Struijk
Bogusz: Klich
Rodrigo M/Llorente: Pablo (also RDP if we sign him)
Cuisance: Meslier
Koch: Alioski/Klich (both can speak German)
Phew! Don’t expect such exhausting posts from me in the future
Last edited by Lumiukko on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155134
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Cracking read, enjoyed your thoughts on Leeds LumiLumiukko wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 pm Wanted to give my thoughts on some of the current team, transfer activities, and rumors. Thought it best to put all in one place so apologies if some of these thoughts should go in various threads and this may end up long. so in no particular order:
The need for a CAM:
I would be over the moon with RDP still. Has some pedigree and clearly wants to come to Leeds, but have to agree that 40mill is a heck of a lot of moolah. If we could snag him at 32mill I would be happy and would maybe go as far as 35mill. He basically carried the whole Udinese team last season, and looks to have strength and guile on the ball, and happy to track and tackle when off the ball. A complete midfielder. If we don’t snag him now I hope to see him in a Leeds shirt in the January window should we still need someone.
However, with Cuisance looking like it might be all but done and dusted, he also looks a real prospect. However, I’m slightly concerned to his attitude, and though he has played number of time sin a formidable Bayern team, I’m wary of his lack of experience in playing that lynchpin number 10 role that Pablo has performed so admirably in over the last couple of seasons.
Pablo:
Clearly on the downward slope of his career but still capable of magic and frequent sub appearances. Will show his worth as the season progresses and injuries occur.
Tyler Roberts:
I like the guy but he has frustrated me a lot since project restart. Admittedly played out of his best position, he hasn’t showed much. I’d love to see him sent out on loan to a top Championship team as a Forward and get some decent minutes on his belt to a) See if he can cut it given time, and b) See if he isn’t made of biscuits.
Klich:
What can be said; to me the most important player in our current side, even mores than KP (controversial, who me?). Just does everything effectively and is a machine. Can’t believe we nearly dumped him.
Costa/Harrison:
Both look much better suited to Premier League, particularly Costa whose class is showing through finally. Harrison is still young himself and developing well. Definitely deserve their chance at PL and I’d be of the mid to make Jack’s loan permanent in January feeing up a loan spot in case we need it.
Bamford:
I’ve been a Paddy knocker in the past, and so happy he is making m eat my words and then some. Also the better tactical analysis of Premier League TV coverage is also highlighting just how integral he is to the team, which takes me to:
Rodrigo M.:
Against the Blunts, I saw some real glimpses of what he could do for us. His ability to turn in tight spaces, hold the ball up, and play in passes makes him my current (incoming players withstanding) replacement for Pablo. I think there’s a lot we will see from this guy this season and I actually expect him to start against Man City. Looks like he has one hell of a peg on him too with that shot that nearly took the Blunts defenders noggin off.
The dilemma then becomes, what to do with Rodders if we get a CAM/10 in? Bamford is hard to drop right now, so I’m thinking Bielsa has some formation/tactical changes that he’s holding close to his chest right now.
Koch/Llorente:
Koch looked at home yesterday and will go from strength to strength. In fact he was pretty unlucky in his first two games and played well in my humblest opinion. Llorente, hard to know right now, but to me he looks a great prospect and very flexible where he can be played. But is he happy to be a bench player behind Koch, Coops, and KP? Again, I think Bielsa has something unexpected in mind.
GK/Casillas:
Rumor I read somewhere today is that Kiko is on his way back to Spain. If so we need to get in an experienced number 2 for Meslier, and I think that remaining loan spot is earmarked for Romero from Scum. Would love to see him come in.
James/Cantwell:
James seems to be a nice kid who has been treat pretty bad by Scum. Bielsa likes him, James was pretty much through the door and happy to come, and that latter point makes him a great addition. He seems like a kid who would be happy to learn from God himself. Cantwell, well, played pretty well for most of last season, but something strikes me as a bit off about him, mostly in terms of his ego or attitude. I might be wrong and would be happy to proved wrong too. Clearly has talent and more flexible than James. I don’t see the need for either, personally, but would warm more to James who I think needs the metaphoric Leeds United arm around the shoulder.
U23s:
Liking the look of our new acquisitions, namely Greenwood, Gelhardt, and Drameh. Would have loved to have sized up Jimmy Summerville today (surely with that nickname will become a fans favourite), but expect him to play a big part of Friday’s U23 game. Letting Tyler Roberts go on loan means we have two first team strikers available, but would already be happy to bring in Gelhardt or Greenwood in an emergency. Btw, honorable mention to Huggins who has a great future IMO.
League Cup/FA Cup:
I was unhappy with Bielsa (rare thing for me) when we put out a second string team against Dull. We really need these cup competitions to keep fringe/bench players sharp and happy with game time. I fully expect Beielsa to treat the FA cup with a lot of respect and play strong sides with only minor changes; some of those being established bench players Struijk, Shacks, and some of those being the likes of maybe Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, and Summerville.
Struck/Shacks:
Love these two, especially Struijk who is going to become a beast of the game. Great future in store for him, with the physical presence to truly dominate once he’s learnt his trade a bit more. Still one to the odd mistake but definitely a talent. As for Shacks, my feeling he needs to learn some of his other positions a bit better to make him a new Stuart Dallas, able to play reliably in many positions.
Bielsa/Tactics:
Love Bielsa and not much to say other than I hope he stays longer than one year and sees us into Europe and the continues progress of our project. The one point I want to make is the apparent confusion of signing apparent first team players with nowhere to play them. I truly think that Bielsa is worried about teams working out his formation strategy and is formulating some new formations to keep things fresh and prevent his being worked out. Hence a two up front with BamBam and Rodders, or 3 orthodox CBs with Koch, Cooper, and Llorente. We know he wouldn’t sanction these transfers without some reason to use them, more than just cover.
Lastly, another thought I have is in the origins of many of our transfer targets or academy players. It sort of looks like a consideration is being made to make signings feel at home. I’ve noticed that many of the targets have a fellow countryman/language speaker to help them bed in, e.g:
Summerville: Struijk
Bogusz: Klich
Rodrigo M/Llorente: Pablo (also RDP if we sign him)
Cuisance: Meslier
Koch: Alioski/Klich (both can speak German)
Phew! Don’t expect such exhausting posts from me in the future![]()
- andrewjohnsmith
- Superstar

- Posts: 13057
- Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
- Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Really good read as 1964 commented. Agree with the majority of what you said, although far too much to comment on.Lumiukko wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 pm Wanted to give my thoughts on some of the current team, transfer activities, and rumors. Thought it best to put all in one place so apologies if some of these thoughts should go in various threads and this may end up long. so in no particular order:
The need for a CAM:
I would be over the moon with RDP still. Has some pedigree and clearly wants to come to Leeds, but have to agree that 40mill is a heck of a lot of moolah. If we could snag him at 32mill I would be happy and would maybe go as far as 35mill. He basically carried the whole Udinese team last season, and looks to have strength and guile on the ball, and happy to track and tackle when off the ball. A complete midfielder. If we don’t snag him now I hope to see him in a Leeds shirt in the January window should we still need someone.
However, with Cuisance looking like it might be all but done and dusted, he also looks a real prospect. However, I’m slightly concerned to his attitude, and though he has played number of time sin a formidable Bayern team, I’m wary of his lack of experience in playing that lynchpin number 10 role that Pablo has performed so admirably in over the last couple of seasons.
Pablo:
Clearly on the downward slope of his career but still capable of magic and frequent sub appearances. Will show his worth as the season progresses and injuries occur.
Tyler Roberts:
I like the guy but he has frustrated me a lot since project restart. Admittedly played out of his best position, he hasn’t showed much. I’d love to see him sent out on loan to a top Championship team as a Forward and get some decent minutes on his belt to a) See if he can cut it given time, and b) See if he isn’t made of biscuits.
Klich:
What can be said; to me the most important player in our current side, even mores than KP (controversial, who me?). Just does everything effectively and is a machine. Can’t believe we nearly dumped him.
Costa/Harrison:
Both look much better suited to Premier League, particularly Costa whose class is showing through finally. Harrison is still young himself and developing well. Definitely deserve their chance at PL and I’d be of the mid to make Jack’s loan permanent in January feeing up a loan spot in case we need it.
Bamford:
I’ve been a Paddy knocker in the past, and so happy he is making m eat my words and then some. Also the better tactical analysis of Premier League TV coverage is also highlighting just how integral he is to the team, which takes me to:
Rodrigo M.:
Against the Blunts, I saw some real glimpses of what he could do for us. His ability to turn in tight spaces, hold the ball up, and play in passes makes him my current (incoming players withstanding) replacement for Pablo. I think there’s a lot we will see from this guy this season and I actually expect him to start against Man City. Looks like he has one hell of a peg on him too with that shot that nearly took the Blunts defenders noggin off.
The dilemma then becomes, what to do with Rodders if we get a CAM/10 in? Bamford is hard to drop right now, so I’m thinking Bielsa has some formation/tactical changes that he’s holding close to his chest right now.
Koch/Llorente:
Koch looked at home yesterday and will go from strength to strength. In fact he was pretty unlucky in his first two games and played well in my humblest opinion. Llorente, hard to know right now, but to me he looks a great prospect and very flexible where he can be played. But is he happy to be a bench player behind Koch, Coops, and KP? Again, I think Bielsa has something unexpected in mind.
GK/Casillas:
Rumor I read somewhere today is that Kiko is on his way back to Spain. If so we need to get in an experienced number 2 for Meslier, and I think that remaining loan spot is earmarked for Romero from Scum. Would love to see him come in.
James/Cantwell:
James seems to be a nice kid who has been treat pretty bad by Scum. Bielsa likes him, James was pretty much through the door and happy to come, and that latter point makes him a great addition. He seems like a kid who would be happy to learn from God himself. Cantwell, well, played pretty well for most of last season, but something strikes me as a bit off about him, mostly in terms of his ego or attitude. I might be wrong and would be happy to proved wrong too. Clearly has talent and more flexible than James. I don’t see the need for either, personally, but would warm more to James who I think needs the metaphoric Leeds United arm around the shoulder.
U23s:
Liking the look of our new acquisitions, namely Greenwood, Gelhardt, and Drameh. Would have loved to have sized up Jimmy Summerville today (surely with that nickname will become a fans favourite), but expect him to play a big part of Friday’s U23 game. Letting Tyler Roberts go on loan means we have two first team strikers available, but would already be happy to bring in Gelhardt or Greenwood in an emergency. Btw, honorable mention to Huggins who has a great future IMO.
League Cup/FA Cup:
I was unhappy with Bielsa (rare thing for me) when we put out a second string team against Dull. We really need these cup competitions to keep fringe/bench players sharp and happy with game time. I fully expect Beielsa to treat the FA cup with a lot of respect and play strong sides with only minor changes; some of those being established bench players Struijk, Shacks, and some of those being the likes of maybe Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, and Summerville.
Struck/Shacks:
Love these two, especially Struijk who is going to become a beast of the game. Great future in store for him, with the physical presence to truly dominate once he’s learnt his trade a bit more. Still one to the odd mistake but definitely a talent. As for Shacks, my feeling he needs to learn some of his other positions a bit better to make him a new Stuart Dallas, able to play reliably in many positions.
Bielsa/Tactics:
Love Bielsa and not much to say other than I hope he stays longer than one year and sees us into Europe and the continues progress of our project. The one point I want to make is the apparent confusion of signing apparent first team players with nowhere to play them. I truly think that Bielsa is worried about teams working out his formation strategy and is formulating some new formations to keep things fresh and prevent his being worked out. Hence a two up front with BamBam and Rodders, or 3 orthodox CBs with Koch, Cooper, and Llorente. We know he wouldn’t sanction these transfers without some reason to use them, more than just cover.
Lastly, another thought I have is in the origins of many of our transfer targets or academy players. It sort of looks like a consideration is being made to make signings feel at home. I’ve noticed that many of the targets have a fellow countryman/language speaker to help them bed in, e.g:
Summerville: Struijk
Bogusz: Klich
Rodrigo M/Llorente: Pablo (also RDP if we sign him)
Cuisance: Meslier
Koch: Alioski/Klich (both can speak German)
Phew! Don’t expect such exhausting posts from me in the future![]()
- Smudge3920
- Superstar

- Posts: 5203
- Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Nice post mate... Think you covered everything that's been mentioned or suggested in 47 other threads ...Lumiukko wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 pm Wanted to give my thoughts on some of the current team, transfer activities, and rumors. Thought it best to put all in one place so apologies if some of these thoughts should go in various threads and this may end up long. so in no particular order:
The need for a CAM:
I would be over the moon with RDP still. Has some pedigree and clearly wants to come to Leeds, but have to agree that 40mill is a heck of a lot of moolah. If we could snag him at 32mill I would be happy and would maybe go as far as 35mill. He basically carried the whole Udinese team last season, and looks to have strength and guile on the ball, and happy to track and tackle when off the ball. A complete midfielder. If we don’t snag him now I hope to see him in a Leeds shirt in the January window should we still need someone.
However, with Cuisance looking like it might be all but done and dusted, he also looks a real prospect. However, I’m slightly concerned to his attitude, and though he has played number of time sin a formidable Bayern team, I’m wary of his lack of experience in playing that lynchpin number 10 role that Pablo has performed so admirably in over the last couple of seasons.
Pablo:
Clearly on the downward slope of his career but still capable of magic and frequent sub appearances. Will show his worth as the season progresses and injuries occur.
Tyler Roberts:
I like the guy but he has frustrated me a lot since project restart. Admittedly played out of his best position, he hasn’t showed much. I’d love to see him sent out on loan to a top Championship team as a Forward and get some decent minutes on his belt to a) See if he can cut it given time, and b) See if he isn’t made of biscuits.
Klich:
What can be said; to me the most important player in our current side, even mores than KP (controversial, who me?). Just does everything effectively and is a machine. Can’t believe we nearly dumped him.
Costa/Harrison:
Both look much better suited to Premier League, particularly Costa whose class is showing through finally. Harrison is still young himself and developing well. Definitely deserve their chance at PL and I’d be of the mid to make Jack’s loan permanent in January feeing up a loan spot in case we need it.
Bamford:
I’ve been a Paddy knocker in the past, and so happy he is making m eat my words and then some. Also the better tactical analysis of Premier League TV coverage is also highlighting just how integral he is to the team, which takes me to:
Rodrigo M.:
Against the Blunts, I saw some real glimpses of what he could do for us. His ability to turn in tight spaces, hold the ball up, and play in passes makes him my current (incoming players withstanding) replacement for Pablo. I think there’s a lot we will see from this guy this season and I actually expect him to start against Man City. Looks like he has one hell of a peg on him too with that shot that nearly took the Blunts defenders noggin off.
The dilemma then becomes, what to do with Rodders if we get a CAM/10 in? Bamford is hard to drop right now, so I’m thinking Bielsa has some formation/tactical changes that he’s holding close to his chest right now.
Koch/Llorente:
Koch looked at home yesterday and will go from strength to strength. In fact he was pretty unlucky in his first two games and played well in my humblest opinion. Llorente, hard to know right now, but to me he looks a great prospect and very flexible where he can be played. But is he happy to be a bench player behind Koch, Coops, and KP? Again, I think Bielsa has something unexpected in mind.
GK/Casillas:
Rumor I read somewhere today is that Kiko is on his way back to Spain. If so we need to get in an experienced number 2 for Meslier, and I think that remaining loan spot is earmarked for Romero from Scum. Would love to see him come in.
James/Cantwell:
James seems to be a nice kid who has been treat pretty bad by Scum. Bielsa likes him, James was pretty much through the door and happy to come, and that latter point makes him a great addition. He seems like a kid who would be happy to learn from God himself. Cantwell, well, played pretty well for most of last season, but something strikes me as a bit off about him, mostly in terms of his ego or attitude. I might be wrong and would be happy to proved wrong too. Clearly has talent and more flexible than James. I don’t see the need for either, personally, but would warm more to James who I think needs the metaphoric Leeds United arm around the shoulder.
U23s:
Liking the look of our new acquisitions, namely Greenwood, Gelhardt, and Drameh. Would have loved to have sized up Jimmy Summerville today (surely with that nickname will become a fans favourite), but expect him to play a big part of Friday’s U23 game. Letting Tyler Roberts go on loan means we have two first team strikers available, but would already be happy to bring in Gelhardt or Greenwood in an emergency. Btw, honorable mention to Huggins who has a great future IMO.
League Cup/FA Cup:
I was unhappy with Bielsa (rare thing for me) when we put out a second string team against Dull. We really need these cup competitions to keep fringe/bench players sharp and happy with game time. I fully expect Beielsa to treat the FA cup with a lot of respect and play strong sides with only minor changes; some of those being established bench players Struijk, Shacks, and some of those being the likes of maybe Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, and Summerville.
Struck/Shacks:
Love these two, especially Struijk who is going to become a beast of the game. Great future in store for him, with the physical presence to truly dominate once he’s learnt his trade a bit more. Still one to the odd mistake but definitely a talent. As for Shacks, my feeling he needs to learn some of his other positions a bit better to make him a new Stuart Dallas, able to play reliably in many positions.
Bielsa/Tactics:
Love Bielsa and not much to say other than I hope he stays longer than one year and sees us into Europe and the continues progress of our project. The one point I want to make is the apparent confusion of signing apparent first team players with nowhere to play them. I truly think that Bielsa is worried about teams working out his formation strategy and is formulating some new formations to keep things fresh and prevent his being worked out. Hence a two up front with BamBam and Rodders, or 3 orthodox CBs with Koch, Cooper, and Llorente. We know he wouldn’t sanction these transfers without some reason to use them, more than just cover.
Lastly, another thought I have is in the origins of many of our transfer targets or academy players. It sort of looks like a consideration is being made to make signings feel at home. I’ve noticed that many of the targets have a fellow countryman/language speaker to help them bed in, e.g:
Summerville: Struijk
Bogusz: Klich
Rodrigo M/Llorente: Pablo (also RDP if we sign him)
Cuisance: Meslier
Koch: Alioski/Klich (both can speak German)
Phew! Don’t expect such exhausting posts from me in the future![]()
- Lumiukko
- First Team

- Posts: 2375
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm
- Location: Santa Monica, USA
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Hahaha, the lazy sod in me didn't want to write a bunch of separate posts in multiple threads
-
Aussieleeds
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
I think having 3-4 additional ‘first team’ players is essential in the PL. If we can sign a top AM and a GK we are then in a position where a long term injury to any player would not be a disaster.
- Byebyegeegee
- First Team

- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
- Location: God’s own county (north)
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Great post Lumi. Does Cuisance have an attitude problem? If so then I too would be wary - the last thing we want is another JKA situation.
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19693
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
From what I have read he wants regular first team football which is why he is angry. He had gone from playing first team football at his former club in the Bundesliga to basically being a squad player at Bayern. It is always harder to be happy being a fringe player if you have been used to playing regularly, especially if you have already then proved yourself at the level you are at. It isn't like he is just a youngster that ha come through the ranks, such as Shackleton, and is just happy to be learning and making the occasional start. Ben White would no doubt have been extremely unhappy for example if Brighton had loaned him out to a championship side this season and he wasn't a regular given that he'd proved himself at that level previously.Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am Does Cuisance have an attitude problem? If so then I too would be wary - the last thing we want is another JKA situation.
If you have been poleaxed (pun intended) in training then I think you are well within your rights to be angry. You don't want to be injured in training and you are certainly not expecting to be crunched unlike if you were playing a proper match and were expecting the tackle and bracing yourself for it.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
-
Boo Radley
- First Team

- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Agree with this.weasel wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 am If you have been poleaxed (pun intended) in training then I think you are well within your rights to be angry. You don't want to be injured in training and you are certainly not expecting to be crunched unlike if you were playing a proper match and were expecting the tackle and bracing yourself for it.
You need an up and coming talent to have an edge to them. They have to have a healthy belief in themselves where they not only want to play but also won’t take a kicking from anyone, even the club darling.
- Lumiukko
- First Team

- Posts: 2375
- Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm
- Location: Santa Monica, USA
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
It was just something that had appeared may be the case. Wasn't sure if it were just being Billy big-bllx at not getting many starts, which is not great shame in that Bayern side. If he is just angry because he has proved himself to be at that level as a starter and has a hard working effort as Weasel and Boo alluded to, then I am sure he is fine. I get the same feeling with Cantwell, though Cantwell I suppose can be excused given Farke threw him under a bus.Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am Great post Lumi. Does Cuisance have an attitude problem? If so then I too would be wary - the last thing we want is another JKA situation.
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23125
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
So 4 big signings this summer and crucially 2 are from La Liga and 2 from the Bundesliga. This is a lot better than a scattergun approach and signing players from various random leagues, they will be able to complement each other well.
- mothbanquet
- Manager

- Posts: 3239
- Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Seems to me that like Bamford, Orta seems to be more comfortable and effective in the PL. Just shows you how much harder it is to do transfer business in the lower tiers.
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23125
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Still would like a GK to replace Kiko, and if I'm being greedy, another couple of cheap young gems if we can find them.
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17183
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Can someone enlighten me on what exactly JKA did to reveal he has an attitude problem?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
-
Mick Jones shoulder
- Manager

- Posts: 2911
- Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Nobody knows bud, . ...
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17183
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Sounds more like a smear to me.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17183
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
In fact the only online story I can find is Noel Bloody Whelan warning Leeds ahead of JKAs coming to Leeds.
LATEST NEWS
FORMER LEEDS UNITED PLAYER ISSUES WARNING ABOUT NEW CLUB SIGNING
“I think it’s always a bit strange when you’re looking abroad, I think you’re always taking a risk when you bring in a foreign player because you don’t know too much about his attitude, how he’s going to adjust to life in the Championship – but when you’re looking at potential, it’s definitely there.”
You dont know too much about his attitude turns into him being an axe murderer who was always late for training
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41695
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Whether his attitude was poor here nobody knows.
But he did have a reputation when he arrived.
Rejecting u21 international call ups by text the day befoee a game.
Apparently he had a bit of a billy big boy attitude at Leipzig, late for training things like that.
Leipzig rated him as a talent but they simply got fed up with him. He reportedly annoyed his teammates in the end aho grew frustrated with him wasting his talent.
Highly respected German coach/director Ralf Rangnick publicly addressed JKA's attitude issue reports basically confirming them.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Brolins_Ghost
- Youth Team

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:41 pm
Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season
Attitude and talent are things that Bielsa in my opinion would both have been looked into. We all know just how much lives football and studying players.
JKA might have just been a blip, but I think Bielsa has earned our trust in him to bring in players he knows he can get to buy into his vision of football.
JKA might have just been a blip, but I think Bielsa has earned our trust in him to bring in players he knows he can get to buy into his vision of football.