Peter in Blackpool wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 pm
I too was in the services, royal navy for me....and yes i was involved in battles, but our skill was in using radar and knowing how to defend the ship and use the guns, not trying to run marathans in 2 hours
Bit of a difference between a Jolly Jack sitting on his arse watching a screen, to running around and trying to dodge rounds flying at you...
A very good friend of mine was an RO on the Herpes during the Falklands and he told me.....
But you cannot over train in fitness.
In fact as has been said on here, a break in the fitness and/or match playing (ie too much time off) removes the edge of the fitness, and I think that is what we are experiencing here.
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 pm
Embarrassed ourselves for what? The players haven't benefited from a break, they look worse.
We never do!
Every season our coaches carry out the same procedure.
Rest players
Go out of the cup
Players return lethargic
Lose momentum
We lose our next game or totally under-perform
Confidence is low as we go on a poor run
Why do our managers never learn?
Winning breeds confidence
Now our squad have another semi-holiday for ten days
SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:06 pm
Problem is when you've got no creativity, you need players who can create something out of nothing and we took off Rodrigo and Raphinha.
SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm
Because the club are stupid and delusional. It's obvious some players wouldn't be good enough, you can't be loyal forever.
Forshaw needs to do the decent thing and retire, rather than bleeding us dry. Radz will probably give him a new contract though.
White Riot wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm
A lot of wise words Sara and I agree with a lot of what you've said.
Apart from potential injuries, my biggest concern at the moment is that the state of our pitch is undermining our style of play. That pitch won't be relaid until the summer, so that's a huge concern.
Yes, there are limitations in this squad and unavailability that's hurting us. But I believe that pitch kills us.
Still think we'll be okay and at least we should have decent surfaces to play on away from ER.
I know the squad needs upgraded but that is gonna take time and big money.
Keep the faith folks.
Aways days are generally the best
Majority of the championship hoofers would beat us on that pitch as we only know one way to play
hector wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:01 pm
Bit of a difference between a Jolly Jack sitting on his arse watching a screen, to running around and trying to dodge rounds flying at you...
Hector, I am sorry but that is terribly disresptful.
I served on HMS Hermes in the Falklands conflict and I can assure you that having enemy aircraft firing exocet missiles at you is no picnic
I have no idea what you did in the Army, but the RN is not called the Senior Service for nothing, please show some respect to my fallen comrades.
However the board and MB have to be careful, we arent safe yet and we have gone on long 5 6 7 8 9 10 game runs without winning under MB in both of his seasons in charge.
In the PL it will be much more difficult to get out of such a rut, and such a bad run from the bottom half of the table will be much more serious than a bad run starting from second in the championship.
I too am concerned.
I agree that the majority of our players are not PL standard, but it doesnt help with bad deals in the transfer market and playing your players out of position....thats just mismanagement
Peter in Blackpool wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 pm
Hector, I am sorry but that is terribly disresptful.
I served on HMS Hermes in the Falklands conflict and I can assure you that having enemy aircraft firing exocet missiles at you is no picnic
I have no idea what you did in the Army, but the RN is not called the Senior Service for nothing, please show some respect to my fallen comrades.
I have nothing but respect for every fallen member of the Military, and my comment was not disrespectful in any way.
You chose to take offence and take it out of context, and I will not appologise for that.
I was on about fitness and physical training involved during the operation of war, not the actual job or fear factor in the job. Having pulled many of the lads from Galahad out of the sea I know exactly how perilous exocet misiles are, so don't you dare preach to me about disrespect.
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
hector wrote: ↑Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 pm
I have nothing but respect for every fallen member of the Military, and my comment was not disrespectful in any way.
You chose to take offence and take it out of context, and I will not appologise for that.
I was on about fitness and physical training involved during the operation of war, not the actual job or fear factor in the job. Having pulled many of the lads from Galahad out of the sea I know exactly how perilous exocet misiles are, so don't you dare preach to me about disrespect.
so you think calling my ex ship 'herpes' is respectful?
particularly as she is currently being broken up in an Indian scrapyard
Last edited by Peter in Blackpool on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.