The Leeds United Weekend Breakfast Debate - Leeds v Villa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Breakfast Debate The Leeds United Weekend Breakfast Debate - Leeds v Villa

Post by 1964white »

Leeds v Aston Villa

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 07.22.57.png

1) Do we start with the same team or should Costa be given the opportunity ahead of Harrison?

2) After all the debate about the absence of Phillips has Marcelo found a way of winning without KP after our victory over the Saints?

3) Will Villa miss Jack Grealish & Matty Cash more than our four or possibly five major absentees?

4) Bamford or Watkins?

5) Do you think Leeds will finish above Villa in the table come the end of the season?

6) Your feelings about Villa’s team, manager, coaches, players, etc?

7) Will we do the double over Villa?

8 Your predicted score?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Leeds United Weekend Breakfast Debate - Leeds v Villa

Post by HarryofOz »

1. Either way. Harrison has had a couple of below par games, but form is temporary and class is permanent. Costa did enough to say that he deserves a start.

2. A player of Phillips' quality will always be missed. We will win some and lose some.

3. Time will tell

4. Bamford

5. Time will tell

6. None

7. Time will tell

8. Yes, there will be a score.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So what score are you going for Harry?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 am So what score are you going for Harry?
Predicting the Leeds score is like predicting the lottery draw, only harder to get right :P ;)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

1. I'd give Costa a shot and see if he can keep up the momentum. Very impressive against Southampton but those performances have been few and far between. I think he is playing for his future with us now and if he can't do it for us consistently he will be gone in the summer. Harrison needs a break.

2. I don't think he's found a way or will until we get reinforcements in summer. We can get by without KP but with better attacking teams than Southampton I fear the worst. With a fit Llorente though who knows. He did well I thought.

3. They miss Grealish just like we miss KP. Both are linchpins to their sides.

4. Never liked Watkins since the penalty incident a couple of years ago. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. He's scored every other game on average though for Villa so Coops & Struijk better be on the money.

5. Yes, just.

6. They've beaten Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal twice and got a point at Chelsea but I think they'll always be a mid table side under Dean Smith.

7. Can't see why not.

8. 2-1 (pending team news)
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:02 am 4. Never liked Watkins since the penalty incident a couple of years ago. Nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. He's scored every other game on average though for Villa so Coops & Struijk better be on the money
Watkins hasn't scored in his last 7 games against Leeds so lets hope that stat remains intact.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is Klich fit? ..Actually we know he's carrying an injury, is he expected to start?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1. Yes I’d play Costa. I think Jackie needs a break to recharge the batteries.

2. It certainly helps having Llorente available but I still think we are nowhere near as good a team without Phillips.

3. There’s no doubt that Grealish is their main man and I’m glad he’s not playing. They rely on Grealish so much when he plays that it might have a detrimental affect on the form of other players around him. They may have to step up now that he’s out which might be a problem for us.

4. Watkins is a good player, very quick. But at the moment I wouldn’t swap Bambi for anyone.

5. Anybody’s guess. A win this afternoon will help.

6. Don’t know enough about them to comment.

7. I hope so.

8. 2-1
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1. Harrison has been well below par recently but I would start with him and have the Costa option at 45-60 minutes if necessary

2. Kalvin is a kind of unique player for us but he doesn't always have a good game and we had already won without him this season. But obviously I would rather he was available

3. Yes Grealish is a huge loss for them

4. Bamford although I think Watkins would do well in our team

5. Maybe

6. A mid table team with a horrible prick of an assistant manager

7. Hopefully

8. 2-1
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1) Do we start with the same team or should Costa be given the opportunity ahead of Harrison?

Not yet for me. Jacks been under the cosh before and come up with the goods and he offers better defencive cover imo. Its good for the team that Costa is playing himself back into the frame for a starting spot.

2) After all the debate about the absence of Phillips has Marcelo found a way of winning without KP after our victory over the Saints?

Early days on that score. Southampton were on a terrible run but were the better team first half. Has Llorente come through unscathed? I think we will see more of that quick ball out from the back to get us attacking quicker.

3) Will Villa miss Jack Grealish & Matty Cash more than our four or possibly five major absentees?

Grealish is a massive loss for them but they have a decent squad. I don't think they have a player like Grealish though, that run he went on in the first game was immense.

4) Bamford or Watkins?

Both?

5) Do you think Leeds will finish above Villa in the table come the end of the season?

Yeah why not.

Big club Villa, decent manager who deserve to be challenging at the top just behind Leeds. Although i watched the cup final on tv in 1996 i have trouble remembering anything positive from that day. When you look back at the teams that day its no wonder.

Yes

8 Your predicted score?

3-2 goal fest.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:12 am Is Klich fit? ..Actually we know he's carrying an injury, is he expected to start?
I think Klich is doubtful Faaip
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

1) I'd go with Costa, not so much dropping Harrison as he's earned a rest

2) Too early to say, big loss but it's all about the system

3) They will, as their system is not as good and they rely more on individuals

4) No debate, Bamford. The fact that he cost a 5th and is on half the wages makes the difference in class particularly enjoyable

5) I would luv it, LUV IT

6) "I really like that John Terry and Jack Grealish" said no one ever

7) I would luv it, LUV IT

8) 2 - 0 , Bamford x 2
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 am I think Klich is doubtful Faaip
Cheers...I do think he needs to get over his injury
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So no Kalvin, Shack or Matt would mean

Meslier

Ayling, Llorente, Cooper, Alioski

Struijk

Raph - Dallas - Roberts - Harrison

Bamford

seems indicated

If Dallas stays at LWB then maybe Huggins gets a start as the 8
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Given that Jack has not been himself the last 2 or 3 games, and Costa is showing some pretty torid pace and grit in his last 2 appearances, I do not think it will hurt to start Costa with Jack on the bench.

We are always going to miss KP, that is a no brainer. But Yes we can win without him. What I think was shown against Southampton was the fact we can win games, and win them convincingly without owning the ball 70 to 75% of the game.

Without doubt yes.

4) Bamford or Watkins?
Bamford.

Be close, but yes.

Made some good buys. Not sure how I feel about Dean Smith tbh. Not a bad team, Mings I cannot tolerate, wish Norman was playing today to have a little word with him.

Yes.

8 Your predicted score?
3-0 is my prediction.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Costa looks to be in better form than Harrison. So pick Costa. Players should need to earn their places and earn the right to stay in the first eleven.

Yes, and we need to be able to do this. Players will always be unavailable, so we have to adapt and succeed whichever team we field.

Hard to say, we've never had our best eleven players available this season. With all of them in and settled we could rise to a higher level of performance.

4) Bamford or Watkins?
Bamford all day for me.

Yes.

Good defensively, but very reliant on Freakish going forward. Not a fan of Smith and Terry after their shenanigans at Elland Road a few seasons ago.

Yes.

8 Your predicted score?
4-0
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1) Do we start with the same team or should Costa be given the opportunity ahead of Harrison? I'd imagine Klich won't start if he's hobbled, I'm ok with Costa of Harrison starting. Not a fan of Jack on the right though even if I can understand why Bielsa stared Raph on the left last week

2) After all the debate about the absence of Phillips has Marcelo found a way of winning without KP after our victory over the Saints? I personally don't think it was a missing Phillips that was the problem. More the knock on effect of positional changes.

3) Will Villa miss Jack Grealish & Matty Cash more than our four or possibly five major absentees? No

4) Bamford or Watkins? I'm not answering that, except to say I think Watkins would have been an excellent signing for us ..

5) Do you think Leeds will finish above Villa in the table come the end of the season? No idea

6) Your feelings about Villa’s team, manager, coaches, players, etc? Ambivalent, just another team in our division

7) Will we do the double over Villa? Maybe, maybe not

8 Your predicted score? - The draw is favourite for me right now ..I don't do predictions
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Difficult one as we've seen start previously without impressing, was his Saints performance a one-off? I reckon Bielsa will start to Jack to wear them down then let Costa loose in the 2nd half again. Dallas & Roberts in the middle of the park

I would like to think so now we have Llorente back, we still miss KP when he is unavailable

Yes

4) Bamford or Watkins?

Bamford without a shadow of doubt

Will be nip & tuck but yes we are capable of finishing above Villa

Five reasons for detesting Villa more than any other club

a) Dean Smith.
b) John Terry.
c) Jack Grealish.
d) It's like playing blow football with Villa, their players spend more time horizontal than vertical.
e) Villa will pull as many strokes as possible to achieve a result.

I think so

8 Your predicted score?

3-0
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Llorente has experience at defensive midfield. Its probably one of the most physically draining roles, especially for a player returning from injury.

Plus Bielsa likes to put a square peg into a round hole.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Reason for hating Villa.

They should have been relegated last season.

Only goal technology saved them when the alarm failed to go off when the ball clearly crossed the lie by a country mile.

The alarm actually went off during half time, by when it was too late.