The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 30th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Meslier to be offered improved long-term contract

Football Insider report that Illan Meslier is set to be offered a new improved contract at Elland Road. The young French keeper has impressed during his first season in the Premier League. Meslier has kept an impressive nine clean sheets this season, a record for a keeper under the age if 21, ranking sixth in the league behind big names such as Hugo Lloris, Kasper Schmeichel and Ederson. It is fair to say that Leeds United’s style of play can expose their goalkeeper and with 109 saves, Meslier ranks second in the league behind Sam Johnstone.

Initially signed on loan, Meslier made his move from Lorient permanent last summer for a price tag in the region of £5 million. With only two years left on his deal and his performances drawing the interest of top teams Leeds are keen to secure the young Frenchman for the foreseeable future. Do you think Meslier is the right man for Leeds in the long term? If he secures a new improved contract firmly securing his position as Leeds United’s number 1 what does it mean for Kiki Casilla? Is it time for the Spaniard to move on this summer?

Time to see what our talented crop of young forwards can do?

Leeds United youngster Max Dean has put pen to paper on his first professional contract having impressed for the Under 23s this season. The young striker has scored 6 goals in his 10 appearances for Mark Jackson’s side this season and Noel Wheelan has tipped Dean to be involved with the first team squad next season…

It is all about the development now and the coaching. Can he adapt quickly when he makes that step up to a higher level? There is no reason why next season he can’t be involved. He has come through this stage with flying colours and it is now about looking to the next stage.

He needs to put pressure on the people ahead of him and he has done that already. Now he has to fight to get a position in the squad. The pro contract gives him the stepping stone to try and be what we expect him to be.

An exciting prospect indeed but with the wealth of talent up front in the Under 23’s at the moment there could be a few players more likely to get their chance with the first team before Dean. Sam Greenwood who signed from Arsenal this summer has scored 8 in 15, whilst Joe Gelhardt has scored 11 in 15 appearances. With the past two seasons effort clearly catching up with Patrick Bamford is it time we saw more of this talented young crop of forwards in the first team?

Leeds keen on England U21 starlet Noni Madueke

Keeping things focused on the next generation, according to The Evening Standard Leeds are one of the sides putting feelers out for PSV winger Noni Madueke. The 19 year old has impressed in the Eredivisie this season, scoring nine goals and getting a further eight assists across all competitions, including three goal contributions in the Europa League. The 19-year-old is currently on international duty with England’s U21s in the European Championships, with coach Aidy Boothroyd raving about his ability…

He’s a powerhouse of a player, technically very good, left-footed and likes to come in off the side of the pitch, off the right and go and link. He’s got a goal in him, he’s very creative. He’s got a massive smile, a lovely kid. The lads have taken to him, as they would because he’s a good player, he has that respect for what he’s done at PSV.

Do Leeds need more strength on the wing? With Jack Harrison, Raphinha, Ian Poveda and Helder Costa there is already competition for paces, with youngster and Crysencio Summerville who has impressed for the Under 23’s this season and also made an impact in the Eredivisie looking to make his breakthrough to the first team.

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I'd love to see Greenwood and Gelhardt get a bit of a run sometime this season. dean probably one for next season.

Not sure we need another winger, not unless we offload one, but Summerville must be due a chance soon?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Everyone

Bamford has admitted he is not fully fit at the moment, and with Roberts being sent home in disgrace by the Welsh FA, why not play Greenwood and Gelhardt!

Bielsa, unfortunately likes to play square pegs in round holes!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Harrison got more than a mention for the England squad before it was announced.

We need to snap him up soon before another club tries to sidestep us!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Does Povada have what it takes?

I was expecting a bit better from hearing his reputation.

Glimses of absolute brilliance, but at the same time VERY vulnerable.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 am Morning Everyone

Bamford has admitted he is not fully fit at the moment, and with Roberts being sent home in disgrace by the Welsh FA, why not play Greenwood and Gelhardt!

Bielsa, unfortunately likes to play square pegs in round holes!
Why unfortunately? He's got us to mid-table Prem doing it. :duno:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I would like to think Meslier is the long term future No. 1. We need better backup than Casilla, as everyone has been saying for a long time.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Meslier has been a revelation. I don't know what his current value is? but a new improved contract would be great for the kid. It can't be easy doing all the graft whilst a fellow employee picks up all the dosh. He's still fresh, learning on the job and will only improve with more experience. I have said it a few times, he's better than most with the ball at his feet, imperative to the way we play out from the back. Time to try and get a fee for Kiko and let him return to Spain, we have 2 exciting young keepers for the future.

Its a difficult one with the Kids. Bielsa has to have full trust in his man to let them loose, and when he has put his trust in the kids in the cups they have let him down ultimately. Shack hasn't set the world alight for me yet and neither has Poveda and they are both supposed first teamers who will be desperate for a chance in the first team. Add to that new signings coming in and you have to say it could be a long road ahead for most of them.

No more wingers please. If we sign Harrison? Raph, Costa, Poveda & possibly Jimmy. How about a striker for a change. :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am Why unfortunately? He's got us to mid-table Prem doing it. :duno:
I reckon we MAY have potential superstars that are missing their opportunity like we did in the early 2000's.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am I would like to think Meslier is the long term future No. 1. We need better backup than Casilla, as everyone has been saying for a long time.
There are plenty of aging professional keepers like John Ruddy that would still give Meslier a run for his money and doesn't mind being no 2.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 am Meslier has been a revelation. I don't know what his current value is? but a new improved contract would be great for the kid. It can't be easy doing all the graft whilst a fellow employee picks up all the dosh. He's still fresh, learning on the job and will only improve with more experience. I have said it a few times, he's better than most with the ball at his feet, imperative to the way we play out from the back. Time to try and get a fee for Kiko and let him return to Spain, we have 2 exciting young keepers for the future.

Its a difficult one with the Kids. Bielsa has to have full trust in his man to let them loose, and when he has put his trust in the kids in the cups they have let him down ultimately. Shack hasn't set the world alight for me yet and neither has Poveda and they are both supposed first teamers who will be desperate for a chance in the first team. Add to that new signings coming in and you have to say it could be a long road ahead for most of them.

No more wingers please. If we sign Harrison? Raph, Costa, Poveda & possibly Jimmy. How about a striker for a change. :)
I would still like to see a poacher like Nketiah.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 am Does Povada have what it takes?

I was expecting a bit better from hearing his reputation.

Glimpses of absolute brilliance, but at the same time VERY vulnerable
Personally I don't think Poveda is anywhere near what is required of him yet.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am I would like to think Meslier is the long term future No. 1. We need better backup than Casilla, as everyone has been saying for a long time.
Meslier will improve even more next season, he must despair at times with some of the calamity jane defending in front of him.

Casilla has to move on in the summer!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am There are plenty of aging professional keepers like John Ruddy that would still give Meslier a run for his money and doesn't mind being no 2.
That's the question, isn't it... who's good enough to play to a similar standard in the premier league, but who is willing to come in as no.2. Do we go the older route, or someone a similar age to Mes who can challenge him for his place.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 am Its a difficult one with the Kids. Bielsa has to have full trust in his man to let them loose, and when he has put his trust in the kids in the cups they have let him down ultimately. Shack hasn't set the world alight for me yet and neither has Poveda and they are both supposed first teamers who will be desperate for a chance in the first team. Add to that new signings coming in and you have to say it could be a long road ahead for most of them.
As you imply it's going to be much more difficult for the kids to break though to the first-team next season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am I would still like to see a poacher like Nketiah.
Struggling to get into the Gooners team of late.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am I reckon we MAY have potential superstars that are missing their opportunity like we did in the early 2000's.
That's a fair point, though I'd say we're in better and more responsible hands altogether - top to bottom - compared to then. At least as and when Bielsa departs the next manager won't have any excuses having a slew of well-developed players to put in whatever positions they feel most comfortable in. :)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Meslier

I heard the latest is he's going to be offered an improved contract and nobody deserves it more. Still can't believe he's so young. He's likely to end up as Buffon 2.0 at this rate, and he's all ours! :-D

Youngsters

I read an interesting interview with Gelhardt's former youth manager at Wigan who basically said, and I paraphrase, "He's still at a certain level in his overall development and won't be stepping up into the next until he's at least 20, no matter how much first team football he's gotten elsewhere". Youth development is a very deliberately-paced affair with very few exceptions. At that age it doesn't take much to derail them no matter their talent - again, just look at Jack Clarke whom we've heard nothing from since.

I particularly liked the anecdote where Raphinha and someone else - Klich maybe? - took Summerville and someone else - Greenwood maybe? - and played 2v2 against them to give them a taste of exactly what playing against real Premier League players is like. And it was a humbling experience for the lads from what I gathered. While I'm as keen to see what Gelhardt and co are capable of as anyone, we have to remember the sheer gulf in standard compared to what they're used to - and the risk of what can happen if they're knocked too hard at such an age.

Madueke

More outstanding young talent is no bad thing. It's clear to see Summerville in particular has the makings of a Raphinha successor - and he can defend well too. In a few seasons we'll be reaping the benefits of this rejuvenation of our academy big time.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Meslier certainly deserves a new contract he’s been outstanding so far this season despite his inexperience and age, just imagine what he’s going to be like with another year or two under his belt, we definitely need to keep him if we can.
I suspect even as a free transfer, Kiko will only only be attractive to another club if Leeds are prepared to pay at least half if not 3/4 of his wage, which I think is unlikely so we are possibly stuck with him for another couple of years - I hope not!

Madueke seems like a different type of winger than the likes of Costa, Poveda and Summerville for that matter, looking altogether stronger and more powerful. Wouldn’t mind him coming in if we can move Costa on.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:28 pm

I particularly liked the anecdote where Raphinha and someone else - Klich maybe? - took Summerville and someone else - Greenwood maybe? - and played 2v2 against them to give them a taste of exactly what playing against real Premier League players is like. And it was a humbling experience for the lads from what I gathered. While I'm as keen to see what Gelhardt and co are capable of as anyone, we have to remember the sheer gulf in standard compared to what they're used to - and the risk of what can happen if they're knocked too hard at such an age.
I might be wrong, but I think it was some of our young defenders, possibly Cresswell and Casey, who were given the Rapha +1 treatment.