The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th April) Could Leeds be tempted by Sampdoria sale?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th April) Could Leeds be tempted by Sampdoria sale?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 29th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Could Leeds be tempted by Sampdoria sale?

Sampdoria's financial predicament will mean that they will be forced to sell some of their top talent this Summer to balance their books! Omar Colley and Mikkel Damsgaard have both been linked with moves to West Yorkshire this season, but how probably is it? Gambian International centre back Colley is 28, and surprisingly skillful for a player his height 6ft 3'. Damsgaard has just broken through into the Danish squad. He's only 20, and can play on either wing. Both players would undoubtedly improve Leeds squad and would be available 'on the cheap', but do Leeds really need another centre back and another winger? We know from past experiences that Bielsa does not like using a large squad.

Who would like to see Ronaldo Viera back at Elland Road. Sampdoria have loaned the 22 year old out to Hellas Verona. A fee of 3m would be enough be bring him back to Elland Road! Another player Leeds are keen on will soon be available on a free transfer. German International Julian Draxler will be a free agent this Summer. The lure of the Premiership and an outstanding first season must surely give the Whites a chance! Rodrigo or Draxler?

Academy snap up highly rated winger

Leeds United have raided the Manchester City academy, stealing away one of their highest rated prospects. Luca Thomas was part of Citeh's Elite Development Squad and had risen through the ranks at the Academy Stadium. The 16yo winger will sign a two year scholarship. He will be joined by Cuba Cline. He has been in impressive form since joining the Whites from Anfield earlier this season!

PL announce major TV rights coup

The Premier League is poised to pull off a major coup by extending its present TV deals worth £1.5 billion a year with Sky, BT Sport, Amazon and the BBC. The new deal is set to commence at the start of the 2022/23 season. Tying the deal up now avoids the risk of the rights falling in an auction. The government will still need to sign off the paperwork, but considering what is happening elsewhere in World football, Boris better have his pen ready.

French Soccer had been thrown into disarray at the beginning of the year after MediaPro were forced to falter on their €3.25bn four year deal and withdraw their funding; severely denting the income of all French top-flight clubs. Where does this leave clubs like Lille who have debts of 125m? With this lucrative deal on the table, should the English football authorities do more to support Championship and lower league clubs?

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th April) Could Leeds be tempted by Sampdoria sale?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Would anyone take Ronaldo Viera back on the cheap?

If Cooper is the weak link in the four, should he be replaced this Summer if a bargain from the continent can be found?

Drexlar on a freebee?

What about West Brom keeper Sam Johnson. We've been linked to him 4 or 5 times. He's a great keeper, but at his age, he'll be wanting first team football. 12m is a lot for a bench warmer!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th April) Could Leeds be tempted by Sampdoria sale?

Post by The Subhuman »

Vierra yes
Cooper is not a weak link
Do we need another CB?
Young Sampdoria winger yes please.
Always good to add to the U18's with talent.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:16 am Vierra yes
Cooper is not a weak link
Do we need another CB?
Young Sampdoria winger yes please.
Always good to add to the U18's with talent.
This pretty much

Ronny v would be great cover for phillips
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 am Would anyone take Ronaldo Viera back on the cheap?

If Cooper is the weak link in the four, should he be replaced this Summer if a bargain from the continent can be found?

Drexlar on a freebee?

What about West Brom keeper Sam Johnson. We've been linked to him 4 or 5 times. He's a great keeper, but at his age, he'll be wanting first team football. 12m is a lot for a bench warmer!
Money on a gk would be wasted

Move on casilla, have caprille as cover
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

No shortage of speculation on potential transfers.

I think Coops has been magnificent this season. Whilst still prone to questionable positioning and the odd overly enthusiastic challenge he has unquestionable commitment and leadership qualities. His distribution and willingness to put his body on the line is often over looked. The number of goals conceded from set pieces is not purely down to the centre backs. The defensive marking system employed requires everyone to remain switched on. Meslier is getting better at commanding his area and avoiding getting boxed in by opposing players. As he gets physically stronger his dominance will improve.

Ronaldo Viera appears to have stagnated as a player in Italy. Despite all the promise he showed when with us I’m not convinced he would be a good acquisition. To improve the first team we need better than what we have.

LB and AM are the suggested priorities. I have no doubt that bargains involving young promising players will also feature to Bolster the U23’s.

On a different topic it will be interesting to see how many of the young players out on loan are still at the club at the start of next season. I prefer not to name names but I can only see 3 retentions.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Free transfers of established internationals tend to unbalance the wage structure. The likes of Drexlar and the winger from RM will be after significant wages exceeding 100k per week.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

I'd certainly not be buying in a player to be back up for Phillips.

Koch & Llorente to me seem perfectly adequate.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Would anyone take Ronaldo Viera back on the cheap?
I wouldn't. MB already saw more in KP than him several years ago and we have adequate cover at DM, so pointless acquisition. Sampdoria have sent him to Verona on loan with the option to buy which says enough for me.

I would stick with Cooper, he know the club, playing style and players. We also have to give Cresswell and Casey a chance at some stage rather than investing in foreign talent.

Drexlar on a freebee?
No thanks, will want a fortune in wages and no guarantee he'll settle her.

Happy enough with Meslier. Would be nice to shift Kiko off the books, but he'll probably hang around for the juicy wages we're giving him.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Ron Swanson wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:32 am I'd certainly not be buying in a player to be back up for Phillips.

Koch & Llorente to me seem perfectly adequate.
I agree. We have five players to cover the three positions (DM and CB), and all have proven themselves quite capable at the PL level. No need to go shopping there.

Or at GK, either.

Can we make an attacking midfielder out of Rodrigo? If so, if everyone is healthy we could have:

Harrison Paddy Raphinha

Phillips Rodrigo Llorente/Koch

Dallas Cooper/Struijk Llorente/Koch Ayling

I would be happy with that going forward.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

As for Kiko, realistically we will have to pay a very high % of his wages in order to move him on... by replacing him we could end up increasing our wage bill.

In hindsight we can now say that Meslier is a top class keeper but at the time the jury was obviously still out... and that we should have sacked him for gross misconduct.

His continued presence at the club highlights the need for a squad to be trim, I think.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:35 pm I agree. We have five players to cover the three positions (DM and CB), and all have proven themselves quite capable at the PL level. No need to go shopping there.

Or at GK, either.

Can we make an attacking midfielder out of Rodrigo? If so, if everyone is healthy we could have:

Harrison Paddy Raphinha

Hopefully both Gelhardt and Greenwood will prove themselves to be good enough for the Prem next season
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:35 pm I agree. We have five players to cover the three positions (DM and CB), and all have proven themselves quite capable at the PL level. No need to go shopping there.

Or at GK, either.

Harrison Paddy Raphinha

Why would we be playing Phillips and one of llorente/Koch in midfield unless I've missed something?

Llorente might be adequate cover at cdm but I think he's proving himself too important at cb to be used as cover for midfield
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

danhirons wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:59 pm Why would we be playing Phillips and one of llorente/Koch in midfield unless I've missed something?

Llorente might be adequate cover at cdm but I think he's proving himself too important at cb to be used as cover for midfield
Bielsa used both Kalvin and Koch in the midfield against scum and it seemed to work well. Seems like it could do so going forward, especially with two attack-minded backs like Ayling and Dallas.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »