Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:45 pm Liam Cooper vs. Sheff Utd:

98 touches
69/85 successful passes
7 defensive aerial duels :star: (most)
4 ball recoveries
4 ground duels won
3 blocked shots :star: {most}
2 clearances
2 tackles won
2 fouls suffered
1 interception

Capped his 200th club appearance with an epic display :clape:

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 16.44.39.png
Thought Cooper was very good today. He doesn't get credit for how composed he is on the ball, good enough to be playing at left back at times in the 1st half. A couple of really impressive blocks. There's no way he's losing his place at the back this season. He's pretty much indispensable as captain and chief organizer.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

With the system struggling against teams who directly counter it Coops is being exposed imo.

His pace and positioning has always been suspect and unfortunately the system cant cover for it as much at this level.

The lastPalace goal was dreadful and Ayew was stood on Coopers side, it was Ali trying to get back to cover for a striker stood where Cooper should be.

Tbf to him he was key for us last year but the suspicion was imo that the system helped him (and Ben White) a lot.

They rarely had to do any defending, it was more mopping up long hoofs.

This season he looks like he is struggling imo, struggling with the pace and ability of his opponents (Zaha little drag back and Coops dived in).

Players are quicker, more aware, cleverer at this level.

When pace, positional sense and anticipation were never your strongest strengths it was going to be an issue

Anyone who watched Coops at international level could see he struggled against better players without the system to help him.

Its interesting, Bielsa has always had faith in him but at the same time allowed the club to spend £18mil on Llorente.

Was that to cover Koch? Seems unlikely.

Or was it as a backup in case Coops struggled with the step up?

Atm he really is imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:28 pm With the system struggling against teams who directly counter it Coops is being exposed imo.

His pace and positioning has always been suspect and unfortunately the system cant cover for it as much at this level.

The lastPalace goal was dreadful and Ayew was stood on Coopers side, it was Ali trying to get back to cover for a striker stood where Cooper should be.

Tbf to him he was key for us last year but the suspicion was imo that the system helped him (and Ben White) a lot.

They rarely had to do any defending, it was more mopping up long hoofs.

This season he looks like he is struggling imo, struggling with the pace and ability of his opponents (Zaha little drag back and Coops dived in).

Players are quicker, more aware, cleverer at this level.

When pace, positional sense and anticipation were never your strongest strengths it was going to be an issue

Anyone who watched Coops at international level could see he struggled against better players without the system to help him.

Its interesting, Bielsa has always had faith in him but at the same time allowed the club to spend £18mil on Llorente.

Was that to cover Koch? Seems unlikely.

Or was it as a backup in case Coops struggled with the step up?

Atm he really is imo.
Absolutely agree that Cooper lacks a lot at this level. But we've seen many adjust. Believe me, I've seen plenty of substandard center backs at Leeds over the years. I think Cooper still has an important role to play for us. He's one of about 5 or 6 that I didn't think were good enough for the premier league. But you can only make upgrades in increments. Wholesale changes are too disruptive. You still need that tactical understanding and chemistry to stay consistent as new players come in and learn the culture.

I do agree that we need a better center back than Cooper. But I think he'll play the season given his role. He's club captain and (from what I've heard) plays an important part in keeping the rest of the squad in check. A couple of weeks ago, I was commenting on how well he dictates everyone else's positioning. That's been lacking a bit lately but I still believe he plays an important role both on and off the field.

No doubt that Llorente is the long term solution. But I still think Cooper will play every game he's available this season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Too soon to judge for me given his injury hit start to the season. Little niggles for a defender can totally throw the timing of tackles so hopefully he can get back to 100% fitness soon. I do think if Llorente had been fit that Cooper may not have been rushed back so quickly.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Remind me ...how old is this gladiator>
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:50 am Remind me ...how old is this gladiator>
Superb performance from the skipper!

He’s 29 - same age as Dallas and Ayling too
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Am absolute beast. We struggle to win that game without him imo
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cooper's best game of the season, a very commanding performance
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Without doubt his best game in the Prem, he was excellent all night. I'm still not convinced he's good enough for a side with European ambitions, but he looked an accomplished Prem CH last night.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

X2.jpg
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Well good stats or not, the test will be to see which left footed CB Bielsa opts for in the next game, based on the assumption that Llorente from now on will be on the right, as he is right footed. Against one forward, which Villa play, we will go back to 4-1-4-1.

I think it would be a big shame to drop Struijk as ultimately he's going to be a better player than Cooper, and he's a lot younger. We don't want Struijk to start talking to the other clubs who are now starting to take interest in him either. Sooner or later the team needs to evolve beyond indefinitely starting some of the mainstays who got us out of the championship - Harrison, Cooper, Alioski and probably Klich. Ayling and Dallas have shown that they still deserve to be mainstays, and Dallas is a bit of a modern day Paul Madeley - Mr versatile.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-05-19 13.06.45.png

Liam Cooper vs. Southampton:

65 touches
36/47 successful passes
8 duels won
8 interceptions (Most) :gold:
5/5 tackles won :clap:
4 ball recoveries
3 blocks (Most) :gold:
3 fouls
2 clearances
1 clean sheet
0 times dribbled past

Made twice as many interceptions than any other player involved. :strong:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Coops is off to the Euros :clap:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:10 pm Coops is off to the Euros :clap:
Tbf i was in the provisional squad and i am not even Scottish :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm Screenshot 2021-05-19 13.06.45.png

Liam Cooper vs. Southampton:

65 touches
36/47 successful passes
8 duels won
8 interceptions (Most) :gold:
5/5 tackles won :clap:
4 ball recoveries
3 blocks (Most) :gold:
3 fouls
2 clearances
1 clean sheet
0 times dribbled past

Made twice as many interceptions than any other player involved. :strong:
Made some dreadful passes 1st half that could have cost us.

Commited some silly fouls to give set piece expert JWP a chance.

Sorry those stats don't tell the complete story.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm Made some dreadful passes 1st half that could have cost us.

I agree Cjay :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:04 pm Made some dreadful passes 1st half that could have cost us.

Yes these stats only tell half the story, which for me is a big issue as they're held up as gospel by most .Very rusty first hour
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Not seen the game yet, but given everyone's comments and with Struijk's incredible season, you'd have to say Cooper is definitely 4th choice now. Still, a very handy CB to have in the squad and will get minutes as 4th choice due to cup games/suspensions/injuries etc.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:52 pm Not seen the game yet, but given everyone's comments and with Struijk's incredible season, you'd have to say Cooper is definitely 4th choice now. Still, a very handy CB to have in the squad and will get minutes as 4th choice due to cup games/suspensions/injuries etc.
Yep.

We have more than adequate cover at the back to cope with domestic cup competitions, and give them all adequate game time, taking into account injuries and bans.

Llorente and Koch should start next season as the first choice pairing. Unless he plays Koch as a DM and Kalvin further forward?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gets a lot of stick does Coops (deservedly imo) but today i thought he was immense, best defender and helped Dallas with Traore immensely.

Well done Coops :clap: :clap: :clap:
Signed

King Cjay