EURO 2020

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: EURO 2020

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd personally would hope all 4 plus IRE qualified for every tournament. My family is from Scotland on my fathers side originally and I lived near Kirkcaldy for a while so Raith and the Scotland team I always want to do well ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:46 am It's a weird one, I think that given the quality of Scotland's squad (the best team they've put out in many years imo) they showed the true quality of that squad against England. I can't help but feel that if they put as much effort into their other games that they did against us then they'd be through.
You could have a point there moth. They played really well against England.

I always want England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland to do well at Euros/World cup
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 am I'd personally would hope all 4 plus IRE qualified for every tournament. My family is from Scotland on my fathers side originally and I lived near Kirkcaldy for a while so Raith and the Scotland team I always want to do well ...
I’m from Cowdenbeath originally so I’m Blue Brazil. Which is sad.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am I’m from Cowdenbeath originally so I’m Blue Brazil. Which is sad.
I was in Burntisland for a year over the newsagents while my dad was employed to design and fit sonar systems on boats... We saw East Fife or Raith most weeks. Hardly went to Cowdenbeath even though it's close..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I do know after a yrs education in Scotland I came back a long way ahead of my classmates when I went back to my Junior school... Took them 18 months to catch up.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 am I'd personally would hope all 4 plus IRE qualified for every tournament.
Same. There's nothing wrong with a bit of friendly rivalry and banter but I'll always root for any of those over the likes of France and Germany.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm I was in Burntisland for a year over the newsagents while my dad was employed to design and fit sonar systems on boats... We saw East Fife or Raith most weeks. Hardly went to Cowdenbeath even though it's close..
My earliest memory is being stung by an evil jellyfish on Burntisland beach, I still have nightmares about it. You weren’t alone not going to Central Park, it was a desert. I remember going back to my grandparents house when I was a teenager and watching Rangers under 16s beat Beaths first team 3-0 in a pre season. Embarrassing didn’t cover it. I changed my allegiance after that and became a Rangers fan, as you do when you’re a kid. I still go see the Blue Brazil when they come to play at my local team, Stranraer.
As for being in front at junior school it sounds like most of us never did catch up after last night’s multi tasking exercise.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am I’m from Cowdenbeath originally so I’m Blue Brazil. Which is sad.
So where does Castleford fit in OB if you were born in Scotland
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm My earliest memory is being stung by an evil jellyfish on Burntisland beach, I still have nightmares about it. You weren’t alone not going to Central Park, it was a desert. I remember going back to my grandparents house when I was a teenager and watching Rangers under 16s beat Beaths first team 3-0 in a pre season. Embarrassing didn’t cover it. I changed my allegiance after that and became a Rangers fan, as you do when you’re a kid. I still go see the Blue Brazil when they come to play at my local team, Stranraer.
As for being in front at junior school it sounds like most of us never did catch up after last night’s multi tasking exercise.
Loved that beach, many happy an hour as they say. Had to go under the railway to get to it, well coming from the High Street you did.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:35 pm So where does Castleford fit in OB if you were born in Scotland
My dad was a miner and the pits closed in Cowdenbeath so we emigrated to the cas coalfields when I was about 3, and ended up in Fryston. Got back up to Scotland a couple of times to see family when I was young, that increased more frequently when I started working and got a car.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:20 pm My dad was a miner and the pits closed in Cowdenbeath so we emigrated to the cas coalfields when I was about 3, and ended up in Fryston. Got back up to Scotland a couple of times to see family when I was young, that increased more frequently when I started working and got a car.
Ahhhh, I see. Both my Grandparents were miners and worked at Lofthouse Colliery.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:50 pm Ahhhh, I see. Both my Grandparents were miners and worked at Lofthouse Colliery.
My Dad worked at Lofthouse also Swannie, then went to Water Haig, in Woodlesford...thats where I started my apprenticeship as an underground fitter, when Water Haig closed down me and Dad moved to Methley Colliery in Methley (Obvs :) ) where I finished my apprenticeship... and then I joined the Army the day after I qualified :)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

My relationship with my dad wasn’t great but he gave me one piece of advice. He told me if I ever wanted to go down the pit I should see him first, then he would break my legs.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Smudge3920 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm My Dad worked at Lofthouse also Swannie, then went to Water Haig, in Woodlesford...thats where I started my apprenticeship as an underground fitter, when Water Haig closed down me and Dad moved to Methley Colliery in Methley (Obvs :) ) where I finished my apprenticeship... and then I joined the Army the day after I qualified :)
Wow! Small world Smudge. You didn't live in Lofthouse did you?
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 pm Wow! Small world Smudge. You didn't live in Lofthouse did you?
No we lived in Leeds at the time ...moving to Woodlesford when Dad moved after the closure
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 pm My relationship with my dad wasn’t great but he gave me one piece of advice. He told me if I ever wanted to go down the pit I should see him first, then he would break my legs.
Dangerous place OB. My great Uncle also worked down Loffhouse Colliery. He was at the coal face when one of the train carriages broke loose and ran over him. When the other miners got to him one of them picked up 'his cap', but it was the top of his skull. He survived, but walked with a caliper brace, his arm same side was useless, he walked with a stick and had had a massive hole on the side of his head.....
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 pm Dangerous place OB. My great Uncle also worked down Loffhouse Colliery. He was at the coal face when one of the train carriages broke loose and ran over him. When the other miners got to him one of them picked up 'his cap', but it was the top of his skull. He survived, but walked with a caliper brace, his arm same side was useless, he walked with a stick and had had a massive hole on the side of his head.....
That’s just awful, and not even paid a decent living wage. Such strong men.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 pm Wow! Small world Smudge. You didn't live in Lofthouse did you?
More coincidence - I lived in Outwood in the 70s and my first serious girlfriend lived in the Greenmoors in Lofthouse.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am Wow! I truly hope your emojis indicate this post is a joke otherwise one could interpret it as evidence of a narrow minded attitude.
You would damn the Scots to another 23 years in the international wilderness, really?
Remember Bremner? Gray? Lorimer? How about Jordan? McQueen? Strachan? MacAllister? A strong Scotland is reflected in a strong United, we have nurtured the best over the years and benefited at the highest levels.
The SPFL, of course, is a joke (led by an Englishman who I’m sure has an attitude like the one you portray in your post) and the mickeymouse leagues will never on their own be able to supply enough quality players for a national team, but that doesn’t mean Scotland can’t supply good prospects to be developed south of the border, and a Scotland that can donate players and borrow them back to build a strong international squad will (as can be seen right here, right now, with our open top bus celebrations) generate interest in youngsters who might, just might, go on to kick a fitba and live a clean life with like minded mates instead of sticking a needle in their arm or swilling a bottle of Buckie.
Bill Shankly is famous for telling us how important football is, and socially that is a lesson we shouldn’t forget.
Back in the days of Bremner,Gray,Lorimer I always wanted Scotland to do well but nowadays since social media you can see how much hatred a lot of the Scots have towards England ,theyd rather cheer for anyone rather than us which is fine but don't start moaning when I don't want you to do well.
I watched Scotland for the first time in years in the Euros and I genuinely hadn't heard of half of them,the days of a strong Scotland resulting in a strong any team in the premier league are gone ,apart from the odd player like Gilmour at Chelsea I can't ever see any top team in England having a strong Scottish representation.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Bally wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:51 pm Back in the days of Bremner,Gray,Lorimer I always wanted Scotland to do well but nowadays since social media you can see how much hatred a lot of the Scots have towards England ,theyd rather cheer for anyone rather than us which is fine but don't start moaning when I don't want you to do well.
I watched Scotland for the first time in years in the Euros and I genuinely hadn't heard of half of them,the days of a strong Scotland resulting in a strong any team in the premier league are gone ,apart from the odd player like Gilmour at Chelsea I can't ever see any top team in England having a strong Scottish representation.
Dear Bally, I think you’ve got me wrong, I wasn’t moaning. In fact I don’t really care who you do or don’t want to do well, because I don’t personally know you, nor you me. What I was attempting to offer was an alternate viewpoint to a very pointed opinion, to which you of course are perfectly entitled. But that’s the whole point of a forum, no?
There will be days I agree with people on this forum, days when I won’t, in the wider scheme things like this aren’t of life changing significance, so let’s agree to differ, yeah?
And yes, some Scots are bigots with their heads stuck in Bannockburn, that much I will concede.