Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Rodrigo Moreno

Post by Smudge3920 »

Said it all last season...once he is fit and found his feet... you heard it hear predicting 35+ goals between Paddy and Rodrigo...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 pm Said it all last season...once he is fit and found his feet... you heard it hear predicting 35+ goals between Paddy and Rodrigo...
If Rodrigo scores as many as Paddy which he is certainly capable of, we are in for a fantastic season.

Rodders could become our highest goalscorer in the the 2021/22 campaign.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:45 am If Rodrigo scores as many as Paddy which he is certainly capable of, we are in for a fantastic season.

Rodders could become our highest goalscorer in the the 2021/22 campaign.
Kane and Son have nothing on a fit Paddy and Rodders... :)
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:45 am If Rodrigo scores as many as Paddy which he is certainly capable of, we are in for a fantastic season.
My predictions are Paddy will still be top scorer but Rodders may just top the assists (but not too far behind with goals).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteroseboy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am My predictions are Paddy will still be top scorer but Rodders may just top the assists (but not too far behind with goals).
I'd be happy with that Whiterose :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think Raph might be assist leader, something would have to be amiss for him not to be ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 am Kane and Son have nothing on a fit Paddy and Rodders... :)
Not gonna lie, at first I thought you were talking about a family business or something.

1.PNG
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tried very hard not to say anything but i have to because i find it absolutely infuriating.

Why do we insist with playing Rodrigo in cm?

It looks wrong, he quite clearly isnt comfortable, he has never been on nodding terms with the cm position before he arrived here and he was 29 now 30.

I know Bielsa likes to improve players and has his pet projects like KP but its pure stubbornness to perservere at the detriment of the playerand frankly the team imo because he should be saying to the board "look this doesnt work i need another option".

Rodrigo is a striker, not a classic number 9 but more of a false nine/second striker

He is a winger.

He is not, never has been, never will be a creative 8/10 hybrid who has to press and defend and drop deep.

Not every player can change position, maybe if he was 22 but he is 30 and as MB should know (and he must bare in mind before he arrived here he much preferred younger players as they are easier to teach) older players are far less adaptable.

And if you think about it players who change position always have a weakness.

Ali, maybe defensive positioning wasnt the best as a full back.

Dallas isnt creative enough as a central midfielder, you would never see Dallas playing clever through balls like Pogba for example.

KP at cb struggles with his positional awareness.

Struijk at dm hasnt the mobility or vision etc

Rodrigo gets dragged out of position, he gravitates further forward or wide leaving a massive gap in cm, not his fault its just his instinct as a player who has played as a more attacking player his whole career with little defensive responsibility.

It simply does not work and the fact apparently MB wanted a new 8/10 in originally but then was so impressed with Rodrigo and Roberts end of season form he changed his mind is frankly nonsense.

If thats true then he is deluded (i am sorry MB very much love you but its true). Roberts did meh forget him.

Rodrigo had a great final 4,5,6 games, absolutely . . . . PLAYING AS A STRIKER, rewatch the highlights, read the match reports, in all but 1 game i think ye played up front which is where we signed him for and where he prefers to play .

So if that is true then for a man as meticulous and obsessive as MB i find that very strange because he simply didnt play as an 8/10 end of the season

Now whether or not we should have signed him at all is up for debate, we needed backup/competition for Paddy but not so we could shoehorn him into an unfamiliar role and thus neglect a vital role in our team.

I dont blame Rodrigo for this farce, this is on Bielsa for persisting and if he truly changed his mind as suggested end of last season then its on him as well and he owes Rodders an apology because i very much doubt when Orta did his power point to show Rodrigo where he would be playing in MB's system it was cm.

End of rant . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

Getting hooked for a defender at 1 nil down tells you everything you need to know. You don't pull a 30m international striker when you are losing in a pressure atmosphere. Definitely not working in his current position, unless KP's inclusion helps alleviate the problem?
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:55 am Tried very hard not to say anything but i have to because i find it absolutely infuriating.

Why do we insist with playing Rodrigo in cm?

It looks wrong, he quite clearly isnt comfortable, he has never been on nodding terms with the cm position before he arrived here and he was 29 now 30.

I know Bielsa likes to improve players and has his pet projects like KP but its pure stubbornness to perservere at the detriment of the playerand frankly the team imo because he should be saying to the board "look this doesnt work i need another option".

Rodrigo is a striker, not a classic number 9 but more of a false nine/second striker

He is a winger.

He is not, never has been, never will be a creative 8/10 hybrid who has to press and defend and drop deep.

Not every player can change position, maybe if he was 22 but he is 30 and as MB should know (and he must bare in mind before he arrived here he much preferred younger players as they are easier to teach) older players are far less adaptable.

And if you think about it players who change position always have a weakness.

Ali, maybe defensive positioning wasnt the best as a full back.

Dallas isnt creative enough as a central midfielder, you would never see Dallas playing clever through balls like Pogba for example.

KP at cb struggles with his positional awareness.

Struijk at dm hasnt the mobility or vision etc

Rodrigo gets dragged out of position, he gravitates further forward or wide leaving a massive gap in cm, not his fault its just his instinct as a player who has played as a more attacking player his whole career with little defensive responsibility.

It simply does not work and the fact apparently MB wanted a new 8/10 in originally but then was so impressed with Rodrigo and Roberts end of season form he changed his mind is frankly nonsense.

If thats true then he is deluded (i am sorry MB very much love you but its true). Roberts did meh forget him.

Rodrigo had a great final 4,5,6 games, absolutely . . . . PLAYING AS A STRIKER, rewatch the highlights, read the match reports, in all but 1 game i think ye played up front which is where we signed him for and where he prefers to play .

So if that is true then for a man as meticulous and obsessive as MB i find that very strange because he simply didnt play as an 8/10 end of the season

Now whether or not we should have signed him at all is up for debate, we needed backup/competition for Paddy but not so we could shoehorn him into an unfamiliar role and thus neglect a vital role in our team.

I dont blame Rodrigo for this farce, this is on Bielsa for persisting and if he truly changed his mind as suggested end of last season then its on him as well and he owes Rodders an apology because i very much doubt when Orta did his power point to show Rodrigo where he would be playing in MB's system it was cm.

End of rant . . . .
:clap: :clap: :clap:

He just doesn't look a good fit into our system in midfield and unless he does start to play up front then frankly we need to get rid as we can't afford to wait 1 or 2 seasons until he does learn the cm role-that's if indeed he can.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 pm Said it all last season...once he is fit and found his feet... you heard it hear predicting 35+ goals between Paddy and Rodrigo...
hmmm...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Deja vu.

The fact MB has hooked him at half time twice and benched him shows thay he knows it doesnt work.

Why is he persevering with this ridiculous experiment?

Its bordering on cruel to keep forcing Rodrigo to take to the field in the cm position.

I do wonder what he thinks?

Came here at Spain's recognised number 9, a respected player in La Liga who had drawn admiring enquiries from all the big clubs in Spain over the years.

Now he is miles off the Spanish side, playing cm badly with seemingly no hope of going to the World Cup after not just losing his place in the starting 11 for his country but in the squad for the Euros.

I very much doubt Orta said that he would ne shoehorned into cm when he spent those days talking to him.

As it stands from a personal perspective this move is probably the biggest regret of his career.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

You know those square pegs🤣
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Not sure if Leeds received offers for him but they should've off loaded and bought a proper midfielder...how's that for an idea Bielsa

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:07 pm Not sure if Leeds received offers for him but they should've off loaded and bought a proper midfielder...how's that for an idea Bielsa ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
A winger by any chance🤣
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Got to feel sorry for Rodrigo. He is a class player being played way out of position, when he should be playing the 9 role. We saw what he could do at the back-end of last season when given a chance up front, but our glaring lack of a creative/proper #10 means Rodders has to be a square peg.
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

play as a striker or get your money back
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Think he's a scapegoat atm. Some of the fan favourites have been atrocious, yet get free passes. Unfortunately he's a striker being played out of position. Saying that, his miss earlier was dreadful and he caused dangerous situations with sloppy passing.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

SG90 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:56 pm Think he's a scapegoat atm. Some of the fan favourites have been atrocious, yet get free passes. Unfortunately he's a striker being played out of position. Saying that, his miss earlier was dreadful and he caused dangerous situations with sloppy passing.
Good summary of the situation and today's game IMO.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

For a £27m striker he should have done so much better with his chance, he was in a perfect position to opening the scoring even if he was playing as a No.10, shooting straight at the keeper was as feeble as our defending at the other end.