The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 10th August) - Phil Hay denies Cunha rumours

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 10th August) - Phil Hay denies Cunha rumours

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Tuesday 10th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Phil Hay denies Cunha rumours

Leeds journalist Phil Hay has vehemently denied that Brazilian ace Matheus Cunha is on his way to Elland Road. The 22 year old was instrumental recently in guiding the South Americans to Olympic Gold, scoring the opening goal, and winning his side a penalty against Spain in the final. He currently applies his trade with Herta Berlin, joining from fellow Bundesliga outfit Leipzig last year for just under 12m. Should Messrs Orta and Bielsa wish to bring Cunha to Elland Road, the German outfit are demanding just over double what they paid for him!

Unfortunately for Leeds fans, the former Chief Football writer for the YEP took to Twitter to say...

They’ve been saying no to the Cunha rumours all summer

Do Leeds need a plan B up front? What if Bamford picked up a bad injury? Is Rodrigo the answer?

Tug of war for Sampdoria ace Omar Colley

Leeds are one of a number of clubs linked with Sampdoria's Omar Colley after it was revealed that the Italian outfit were willing to sell their Gambian International central defender for £8.5m, but they will have to compete against two other Premiership clubs. Brighton have already had a £5m offer turned down for the 28 year old whilst it is reported that West Ham are lining up a bid. Do Leeds need another central defender? They already have Cooper, Llorente, Koch and Struijk. Lets not forget about Cresswell. He may only be 18, but like Struijk is improving game by game.

Speaking on The Squareball Podcast, Leeds Chief Executive Angus Kinnear revealed it is likely that Leeds United's transfer business for the summer has completed with Marcelo Bielsa extremely happy with his options at centre back. The Colley rumours appear to be nothing more than agent talk, with Leeds United used by a number of agents this summer to hype interest in their player.

You look at positions and we were talking earlier about centre-half we're I think we're can choose any two of four centre-halves and go into any game feeling confident. That's where Marcelo believes we are at the moment and he doesn't want to destabilise the squad by bringing in players who aren't a significant improvement on what we've got at the moment.

TalkSPORT pundit tips Leeds for European success

Veteran football pundit and TalkSPORT host Jim White believes Leeds will continue to defy the critics, and has tipped them for a top seven finish, and securing a European slot for the following season. Leeds finished 9th last season on 59 points, ahead of Everton and Aston Villa. If they want to go a stage further, they will need to leapfrog the likes of Arsenal and Spurs, who achieved 8th and 7th place respectively, two and three points ahead of the Whites! According to White...

You see I’ve got a feeling about Leeds, I think they will surprise a lot of people. I’m not saying they will finish higher than Manchester United, but I think they will have a cracking season. A cracking season means Europe… it could lead to European football. There is excitement in that part of the world, Bielsa has brought them a lot and he’s got a lot more to bring.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 10th August) - Phil Hay denies Cunha rumours

Post by Chilli D »

It looks as though we are adopting the same strategy as last pre season and any further first team signings will happen after the season has started.
There's no way Huddersfield will risk losing O'Brien for nothing so he'll definitely be leaving its just a question of who blinks first.

By the way is Orta still in Sardinia tying up the Nandez deal? ;-)
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 10th August) - Phil Hay denies Cunha rumours

Post by mothbanquet »

Would be lying if I said I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we didn't get in another midfielder but we've got enough to at least hit top ten, and I would be completely fine with that. Maybe another good signing would propel us into Europe too soon?
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I am full of optimism for this coming season. The first 11 is undoubtedly good enough for a stab at a European place. But if we suffer injuries to key players we may struggle on occasion as we did last year, as the depth is not there yet.

Therefore, I will be happy with another season of consolidation - any more than that will be a bonus. With the added boon of perhaps Gelhardt , Summerville and Greenwood breaking through…………..and a good cup run.

Having listened to the AK podcast interview - the plans for the club make perfect sense and it is comforting to know that realistic sustainable growth is the long term goal allied with the development of ER. Once we have achieved an income stream that has a semblance of parity with the big boys then we can perhaps challenge on a stronger footing in the transfer market and on the field.

We are fortunate that we have MB for another year and Hopefully longer.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Shame about Cunha, quite liked the look of him!

Always a bit nervous at the start of a new season especially with 2nd season syndrome hanging over us but a good performance against Scum on Saturday should ease the nerves.

We don’t need another centre back full stop.

Still fancy O’Brien though and still hope we can do a deal.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

No denying we need strength in depth, CM & CF, Bielsa has his own views and has done well thus far, fittest team in the league only proves one thing, we are fitter than the rest and can out run them, but, quality shows, cream normally rises to the top, look at man utd last season, very average really, but finished 2nd for a reason, quality like cavani, who, given the chances puts 9 out 10 in the net, for all the effort paddy puts in he's not on t' same street as many other strikers. Also CM, Klitch and Dallas are thoroughbred runners but neither can dictate the pace of a game, dont think Bielsa wants a player with flair in the middle tbh, it throws his stategy out of cink.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 am I am full of optimism for this coming season. The first 11 is undoubtedly good enough for a stab at a European place. But if we suffer injuries to key players we may struggle on occasion as we did last year, as the depth is not there yet

How true :tup:

Watched both Liverpool friendlies v Atletic Bilbao on Sunday & Osusuna on Monday evening in front of 40k+ fans at Anfield for both games.

Apart from Firmino their line-up was basically their 2nd team v Osusuna, my god they looked sharp & incisive, they could quite easily have scored seven or eight goals.

Sadly they make our 2nd XI look tinpot :( we are still gradually building of course!

DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Re Mental case -

I think MB would jump at the chance of a creative midfielder - but such a specimen would need to have the running element of his game. I can’t think of such a player currently with the athleticism and stamina of Klich and Dallas who has that additional creative attribute. I understand he has a Frankenstein mentally in wishing to create such a monster.

There is no doubt our ability to create on a consistent basis through the middle is rather limited and that can be an Achilles if our wide men are neutralised.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 am Re Mental case -

I think MB would jump at the chance of a creative midfielder - but such a specimen would need to have the running element of his game. I can’t think of such a player currently with the athleticism and stamina of Klich and Dallas who has that additional creative attribute. I understand he has a Frankenstein mentally in wishing to create such a monster.

There is no doubt our ability to create on a consistent basis through the middle is rather limited and that can be an Achilles if our wide men are neutralised.
Indeed :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

"doesn't want to destabilise the squad by bringing in players who aren't a significant improvement on what we've got at the moment"

Is Lewis O'brien a significant improvement?

Is Kristoffer Klaesson?

How can he say this but in the same interview confirm we like O'brien when i doubt O'Brien's own mother would say he is a significant improvement on what we have?

Nice bloke Kinnear but he talks crap like all board people, 20% honest, 50% nonsense, 30% lip service.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Oh and Cunha is this seasons De Paul.

We should be signing him but we wont pay a fair price and he will end up in European football competitions probably before we do.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 am Re Mental case -

Agreed,

Too many times opponents manage to isolate Bamford, and we have not got a plan B
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:50 am Oh and Cunha is this seasons De Paul.

We should be signing him but we wont pay a fair price and he will end up in European football competitions probably before we do.
It is madness.

Paying 25m for a striker that good is great business for the future.

His price tag is just going to rise and rise!

In a couple of years , his worth could easily double!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:11 am No denying we need strength in depth, CM & CF, Bielsa has his own views and has done well thus far, fittest team in the league only proves one thing, we are fitter than the rest and can out run them, but, quality shows, cream normally rises to the top, look at man utd last season, very average really, but finished 2nd for a reason, quality like cavani, who, given the chances puts 9 out 10 in the net, for all the effort paddy puts in he's not on t' same street as many other strikers. Also CM, Klitch and Dallas are thoroughbred runners but neither can dictate the pace of a game, dont think Bielsa wants a player with flair in the middle tbh, it throws his stategy out of cink.
Paddy was 4th in in scoring last year wirh 17 goals in his first year in the prem, not too shabby. And by the looks of him this pre season he has not been sitting idle he looks good and sharp...
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

What are we missing out on with Cunha?

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I did not think my excitement for the start of a new season could be topped from last year ...how wrong I was, I am off the charts already ready for this one.
When teams like Citeh, Chelski and Scum throw cash around like its confetti, it causes a little panic... last year we took points of all the so called top six and rounded that off with a 10 man win (45 minutes mind with 10 men) over the ultimate champions Citeh...TBH I think they are more worried about us than we are of them... note they all avoid talking about us unless specificly asked.

Obrien yes I want him, I think we need that determined never say die attitude in the squad, the fact Bielsa is keen on him and taken the time to go watch him says a lot for me, Cunha I would like also but if it comes to one , for me I would take O'Brien,
I feel Mes, Paddy, Raphina, Harrison, Dallas and KP are going to have banner years. Struijk, Kock and Rodrigo will definately improve more yet. Feel confident the new boy Firpo will not let us down.... and we have at least 3 young uns that need blooding... bring it on.
MOT

Oops how could I forget klich already starte so well...
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I listened to Joe Wainman's vlog this morning and he interpreted Angus Kinnear s statements as being that business in this window is probably done :x

https://youtu.be/KH5grFj6wG0
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Very disappointed with transfers thus far, I seem to recall a comment that the players we brought in last summer were our signings for the next few windows so given we signed Harrison and firpo it’s not a surprise there are no more. Maybe looking to go full tilt next summer if we survive, the squad will defo need a refresh by then.

Still very much looking forward to this season. scum seem to have the measure of us so not expecting a win just hope we don’t lose by too many and as per a couple of the friendliest don’t concede straight after kick off.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

no signings will mean no improvement on last seasons league position thats a cert, and we wont be able to hold on to say the likes of raphinha beyond this season
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I must admit i did think we would sign another 1 possibly 2 quality players to strengthen the squad as a whole, but if Bielsa is content then so be it. He likes cohesion and a tight knit bunch and he's certainly developed that in his time here. I worry about injuries but i guess so does every other team below the top 5/6 teams. Once again he is showing faith in this squad of players.