Costa and Roberts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: Costa and Roberts

Post by WhiteRose »

Overman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 pm Costa and Roberts must be his love children.

In regards to Radz, if he doesn't have the means to seriously invest, then he needs to consider selling up. I am sure there are a number of interested parties (Radz said so himself) wanting to buy the club.
I was saying this in the week, there surely wouldn’t be a shortage of people willing to buy or invest in Leeds. These days you need an owner willing to put hands in pockets as unfortunately premier league clubs don’t sustain themselves anymore. To essentially have a net zero transfer policy on an already threadbare squad is unacceptable.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:21 pm MB at his most frustrating. Pick a s**t team to face one of the league's best and then try the same old same old in terms of subs. The game was gone by 60 mins so there was an opportunity to try out some youngsters but he passed on that as well. I'd be well pissed off if I was never given a chance when all around are floundering.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Just to be clear, do you mean our team ( ie the players ) are s**t or the formation of said players was s**t?
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Overman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 pm Costa and Roberts must be his love children.
Bielsa is keeping faith with these two, but if they don't deliver this season then they both should be offloaded back to the championship where they're better suited.

In the event of a bad run of home form the home crowd will frustrate loudly what they think about the pecking order on the bench.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

whiteswan wrote: Just to be clear, do you mean our team ( ie the players ) are s**t or the formation of said players was s**t?
Our players have proved they can hold their own in this league but MB must stop hanging players out to dry and play them in their preferred positions. The midfield stood no chance yesterday and Klich will be wondering what it's all about because he's doing the work of 2 players again. Rodders is not a midfielder and it's too late to ask him to be one. Hopefully Firpo is fit enough to start next week along with KP . I don't think the pairing of Struik with Cooper works either, 2 left footers . I'd play Koch there with one of them. When Llorent is back we'll have more options still. Against the top teams we need to set up slightly more defensively because we are v good on the break . I thought MB got it just right against City away last season but again the gung ho approach back fired miserably yesterday.

Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

weasel wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:16 pm Despite not being one of Robert's biggest fans I though he did well today when he came on. Costa is so short of confidence but there is a decent player there. My guessing with Bielsa is that he didn't want to bring on the youngsters and make the scoreline even worse.
Totally agree weasel. Roberts did very well considering the carnage he was subbed into. He should have had an assist with the clever ball he laid off to Raphinha and he should have won a penalty for Maguire’s trip. That would have been an impressive return given the circumstances. I have not been a fan of his but I’m beginning to wonder if there is a decent player in there after all. If he scores a couple of goals soon we may see him grow. Trouble is, if he doesn’t then he could crumble, especially in front of an unconvinced home support.

I think Costa is possibly being put in the shop window with his appearances - not that it is raising his fee much. He just cannot seem to make an impact whenever he comes on. Surely this can’t continue for the season?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

BGwhite wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:56 pm Our players have proved they can hold their own in this league but MB must stop hanging players out to dry and play them in their preferred positions. The midfield stood no chance yesterday and Klich will be wondering what it's all about because he's doing the work of 2 players again. Rodders is not a midfielder and it's too late to ask him to be one. Hopefully Firpo is fit enough to start next week along with KP . I don't think the pairing of Struik with Cooper works either, 2 left footers . I'd play Koch there with one of them. When Llorent is back we'll have more options still. Against the top teams we need to set up slightly more defensively because we are v good on the break . I thought MB got it just right against City away last season but again the gung ho approach back fired miserably yesterday.

Thanks BG, can't argue with that.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote:

Relatively speaking he did ok compared to the norm i guess.
'ere, 'ang on

:whistle:
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

Perhaps let us wait until the window is closed before people turn on Bielsa. There is utter panic that the team that finished 9th last season can't do the same or better, which completely discounts the incremental improvement of players within the squad. Neither Roberst nor Costa excite me, but I'm not jumping out the window after one game against a genuine title contender. The young players people mention are barely out of nappies in football and will breathrough if they are good enough to do so. The idea Bielsa holds them back because of their age is patently absurd. If his analysis says we win with them in the side, they play. Keep the faith people.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Irrespective of what you think of them its a bit harsh picking on them for this match though the score was already 5-1 when they came on.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I thought Roberts played a decent little cameo yesterday. The damage had already been done the time he came on and it didn’t get any worse during his watch, although having said that, they had already taken their foot off the gas by that stage considering 5-1 to be quite enough thank you!

He cleverly laid on a golden chance for Raphinha, who should have scored, and had a penalty shout turned down, rightly so imo but I have seen them given (not for us but certainly against us). He’s a decent player but never seems to be able to positively affect a game. Laying on chances that are missed by his teammates, hitting the woodwork, having possible penalties turned down etc, I wonder if he is just an unlucky player (if there is such a thing) or do players make their own luck and he’s just not quite good enough.

As for Costa he’s definitely not good enough and we really should try to get rid.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I do think he's unlucky, Bamford spurned several chances last season that would have garnered assist, 2/3 assists ruled out for offside. That pass where he got flattened but still delivered it with pin point accuracy, the no look cross field tha landed softly on Harrison's foot leading to an own goal. Numerous times he beats his man, 3/4 key contributions. That turn and chipped volley which hit the crossbar

He also wins a surprising amount of tackles as an upfield defender, harries and probably wins more headers per 90 than Paddy.... Some very clever runs too. He's further along as a AMF than Rodrigo but we paid a lot more for Rodrigo

Still 23, still learning the hardest position to learn....Not a starter if we had better but worthy of a bench place for sure. He can unlock defences

3 times I've heard him mentioned for MOTM by TV commentators and a lot more "he's had a good game "
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

So these two go through another game without a goal or an assist v a team at the foot of the League One table.
hector

Post by hector »

At least they are consistant :mrgreen:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:14 pm At least they are consistant :mrgreen:
Consistent even :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Assists are a very poor stat to determine ability, Roberts set Rodrigo up beautifully, set up Raph v Manure and set up Bamford also .. Should be on 3 assists by now and with the smallest bit of luck a goal. His first shot yesterday handled on it's way in probably

He's unlucky for sure but poor he ain't
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm Assists are a very poor stat to determine ability, Roberts set Rodrigo up beautifully, set up Raph v Manure and set up Bamford also .. Should be on 3 assists by now and with the smallest bit of luck a goal. His first shot yesterday handled on it's way in probably

He's unlucky for sure but poor he ain't
You make a good point :tup:
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 pm Consistent even :lol:
Bloody spelling Nazi :P :P

:)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:24 pm Bloody spelling Nazi :P :P

:)
Just a little joke my dear Hector, I don't generally comment on spelling errors, I usually amend them accordingly.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I thought Roberts did well against Everton, helped Jack out a great deal with his constant movement and made it very difficult for their defenders to mark their men.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

The chuckle Brothers