Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Post Reply
Leeds United v West Ham United
Leeds United
Leeds United
1–2
Premier League
25/09/2021
Elland Road
West Ham United
West Ham United
All-time record vs West Ham United
114
Played
50
Won
31
Drawn
33
Lost
+21
GD
44%
Win %
Home record at Elland Road
55
Played
35
Won
11
Drawn
9
Lost
+55
GD
64%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
08/03/2021 London Stadium 2–0 L Premier League ↗
11/12/2020 Elland Road 1–2 L Premier League ↗
17/03/2012 Elland Road 1–1 D Championship ↗
21/08/2011 Upton Park 2–2 D Championship ↗
26/02/2005 Elland Road 2–1 W Championship ↗
All-time top scorers vs West Ham United
#PlayerGoals
1 Russell Wainscoat 10
2 Peter Lorimer 8
3 Tom Jennings 8
4 Allan Clarke 7
5 Percy Whipp 5
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Cresswell
Def Cooper ©
Def Firpo
Mid Phillips
Mid Klich
Def Dallas
Mid James
For Moreno
Substitutes
Unused Substitutes
-- Klaesson
-- Gelhardt
-- Hjelde
-- Drameh
-- Greenwood
-- McCarron
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:57 pm I think you've morphed into me :lol:
Well Swannie, the problems are there for everyone to see unless you turn a blind eye.

I'm probably one of few on here who watched all our friendly games, I mentioned we lacked zip & our form was poor. I was informed by some of our members that a winning mentality didn't matter, as friendly games were all about match-fitness.

I also went along with the majority that we needed to repair our central midfield, plus our squad is not deep enough.

All coming to fruition now.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:08 am I hope you realize that my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I was writing that piece.

team selection does get easier if you have fewer players, but the main question is the quality of those players. I expect there are metrics for each and every Leeds player, and choices have to be made accordingly, to select the best possible team.

not an easy task with so many injuries and suspensions
Many of your posts are tongue in cheek Rab :lol:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:37 am That's how MB operates. This is the small squad syndrome and with an over reliance on Bamford, with no adequate back up. We have Rodrigo who's rarely impressed as well as being played ineffe tively as a CM. Another worry is the form of Firpo, he is struggling to adjust to PL and even getting the basics right at the moment. This will be another area West Ham will be seeking to exploit.

That said, we'll probably come away with a win.
Just can't see this small squad mentality working in the premier league long term, unless you have 18 top class players.

Truth is, we haven't got that amount of quality.

No way would a club with such low resources manage if they are involved in European tournaments.
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Leeds1000 »

Declan Rice will have a field day. No pun intended. WH are flying boosted by knocking mu out of the cup, they will relish a full house at ER baying for blood (what footballer wouldn't) i can only see one outcome i am afraid. We just look short in so many areas at the minute and we seem too reliant already on certain players. I just hope the fans show some dignity if we get beat and don't start turning on Marcelo.

Short memories can lead to rash decisions. Last season is looking a long time ago.

Should we have invested more? Yes. Do we have the money? Probably not. What level of player can we really attract? The lad from Huddersfield.

I mean lets face facts. Without the money what is the point of being in the PL? We are never going to win the league, we just make up the numbers to be shot at. Whilst we squabble over Dan James, citet spend £100m on Grealish, mu bring in Ronaldo, varane, sancho and all already being mooted for Declan Rice despite being about a billion in debt. I mean what's the point really.

To quote the Bee gee's. Welcome to the Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin alive club. Oh and if we are lucky we may get to play Citeh and their multi million dollar reserve team at Wembley. Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin aliiiivvvvvvveeeeeeevvvvvvvvveeeeeeee.

Burnely fans all is forgiven. We suddenly feel your pain. :)
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

I still feel like summat will Klich for us soon and we'll find form and results.

Football is a funny old game and matches can turn on a sixpence.

I'm hoping MB goes with:

Meslier
Ayling
Cresswell
Cooper
Firpo
KP
Klich
Shackleton
Raphinha
Rodrigo
James

With subs appearances for:
Gelhardt
Mckimstry
Summerville
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:27 am I still feel like summat will Klich for us soon and we'll find form and results.

Football is a funny old game and matches can turn on a sixpence.

I'm hoping MB goes with:

Meslier
Ayling
Cresswell
Cooper
Firpo
KP
Klich
Shackleton
Raphinha
Rodrigo
James

With subs appearances for:
Gelhardt
Mckimstry
Summerville
Dallas will be in the XI, although the poor man needs a break I feel.

Shackleton will give us energy in the centre of midfield.
User avatar
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Would hope that Rodrigo gets a start up top but I believe Bielsa will play Roberts there as he has a hard on for trying to convert Rodrigo into a 10.
Hope I'm wrong otherwise can't even see us scoring.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 am Dallas will be in the XI, although the poor man needs a break I feel.

Shackleton will give us energy in the centre of midfield.
If Dallas has got personal issues that he needs to focus on, then he should be given some time off.

Doesn't seem himself, along with Ayling, Harrison, and Cooper this season.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

Johnboy1965 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 am Would hope that Rodrigo gets a start up top but I believe Bielsa will play Roberts there as he has a hard on for trying to convert Rodrigo into a 10.
Hope I'm wrong otherwise can't even see us scoring.
Yeah, Rodders would be the logical choice to start up top and then give Gelhardt the last 20-30 minutes.

I hope I've seen the last of Roberts in a Leeds first team shirt, I've never been part of his fan club. It's more annoying when you see the kids like Summerville, Gelhardt and McKimstry not getting a chance.

Hopefully, Fulham was the end of Bielsas obsession with Tyro. Wish him all the best somewhere else.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41672
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

MB's faith in Roberts seems limitless.

Their was last season a brief glimmer of frustration when the boss publicly called him out for only starting as a last resort, but then they gave him a new deal and the sound of heads hitting tables could be heard all over Leeds.

The fact is i think MB feels a real sense of gratitude and loyalty to the squad that have been with him from the start and therefore any poor performances they have the idealist in him puts down to an issue with his style on the day not the individual.

Once you are in that 18 group your place is practically guaranteed until you decide to leave (like Ali).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 am I hope I've seen the last of Roberts in a Leeds first team shirt, I've never been part of his fan club
I can say with total conviction you haven't, mate.
User avatar
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Johnboy1965 »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:25 pm I can say with total conviction you haven't, mate.
I'm afraid your right 64.

Gelhardt should be way in front of Roberts in the pecking order imo especially as he is in a rich vein of form atm.

Admittedly it was "only" Fulham but I thought all our youngsters acquitted themselves well showing calm heads on very young shoulders in the penalty shootout.

We need to start integrating a few into the first team and now is the perfect opportunity given our horrendous injury list.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:44 pm I'm afraid your right 64.

Gelhardt should be way in front of Roberts in the pecking order imo especially as he is in a rich vein of form atm.

Admittedly it was "only" Fulham but I thought all our youngsters acquitted themselves well showing calm heads on very young shoulders in the penalty shootout.

We need to start integrating a few into the first team and now is the perfect opportunity given our horrendous injury list.
I would like to see just one or two of the U23's playing in a mainly experienced XI rather than a whole glut of the younger players in a weakened first team.
User avatar
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Johnboy1965 »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:47 pm I would like to see just one or two of the U23's playing in a mainly experienced XI rather than a whole glut of the younger players in a weakened first team.
Exactly. I'm not advocating a glut of youngsters but the likes of Gelhardt, Cresswell and Summerville deserve their chance and one or two of them being integrated into the first team wouldn't necessarily weaken us.
Let's face it we need to try something different as one or two of the seniors aren't exactly setting the world on fire
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41672
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

With Gelhardt starting for u23s must mean Roberts and Rodrigo tomorrow.

Just hope MB finally let's Rodrigo play up top (although his finishing vs Newcastle was dire) it makes 0 sense to keep shoehorned him into midfield so Roberts can have his 50mins up front
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6739
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Carrick Dave »

Gelhardt scores again for U23s.
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by John in Louisiana »

Cooking in a barbecue competition tomorrow and won’t get to see the game. Counting on this thread to keep me apprised of what’s going on.

Thanks to all in advance.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41672
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

Time to play spot the player :)

Ayling and Raph are their (although it should be noted Llorente was at Fulham but played no part) so being there is no guarantee of fitness.

Summerville I think I saw, KP, Rodrigo, Roberts, Dallas.

Don't think I saw Harrison.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1844
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Boo Radley »

WHU were able to beat Man U with a B team in the League Cup that needed only one starter from the league game they played last weekend. We needed seven first team players from our league game at the weekend to draw with Fulham.

They are far ahead of us in terms of squad options. We are left just hoping new things/people/combinations will work tomorrow. They are expecting theirs to work.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see us getting anything out of tomorrow.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155107
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm Gelhardt scores again for U23s.
Two fine individual goals from the young man once again

Joe doesn't need them laid on a plate, he makes his own goals :-D
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply