Album of 1984 (Round 3) - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Album of 1974 - Andrew, BB, Durly to VOTE

Post by Mountain »

hector wrote: ↑Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 pm Nick Kershaw
Howard Jones
You got it.

Nik Kershaw "Human Racing".

Yeah, you're all spitting beer out saying "awful" but it's a very personal choice. I'm the youngest of 7 children, I had Fleetwood Mac and the Stones inflicted on me since I was old enough to hear. Nik Kershaw was the first artist that I liked that none of the others knew. And in 1984, everything he did was a hit, Human Racing, Dancing Girls, I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me and, of course...

https://youtu.be/cTLTG4FTNBQ
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:34 pm Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground

Honourable mentions to The March Violets, Conflict and New Model Army.
The Conflict and NMA albums are both great, although ironically Conflict hated New Model Army and made T shirts based on NMA's "Only Stupid Bastards Use Heroin" ones saying "Only Stupid Bastards Help EMI" (due to Thorn's involvement in the arms trade).

March Violets too (Leeds band). Spent some time on the Sisters 'Merciful Release' label. Some of their stuff was re-released recently for Record Store Day.
Image
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6703
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Finnatic »

There are a few I prefer more, but going for
Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by becchio bear »

U2 "The Unforgettable Fire"

:bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Gandalf »

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17183
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Irish Ian »

Marillion Fugazi
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by billie1 »

Purple Rain . Prince
User avatar
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Cracking year for me this.
Most of my nominations already taken but will go for

Sparkle in the Rain - Simple Minds
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

Congrats on the win Jill.

Though prog stuff ain't my bag at all
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

1984 toughest choice yet

My two fave albums have already been snaffled Bunnies - Ocean Rain and Prince - Purple Rain. Seems like Rain was popular in 84.

I was tempted with Cocteau Twins - Treasure and Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome.

But I'll go with Bruce Springsteen - Booooooooorn in the USA :)
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by John in Louisiana »

Were I still taking part, I'd nominate "The Big Express" by XTC.

Sort of surprised it hasn't even been mentioned as yet.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Steve Vai / Flex Able
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Mountain »

Johnboy1965 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:31 pm Cracking year for me this.
Most of my nominations already taken but will go for

Sparkle in the Rain - Simple Minds
And that's my 4 points taken.

An amazing run of albums, Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, New Good Dream and Sparkle in the Rain.
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm Were I still taking part, I'd nominate "The Big Express" by XTC.

Sort of surprised it hasn't even been mentioned as yet.
Good shout, John.
Image
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155134
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm Were I still taking part, I'd nominate "The Big Express" by XTC.

Sort of surprised it hasn't even been mentioned as yet.
Good album John :tup:
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Album of 1984 - Andrew, Durly, Haighy, Mental, Mrs 64, Orange, 1304 to NOMINATE

Post by Orange Box »

Can I have a compilation album released in 84? Bob Marley - Legend.
If comps aren’t allowed I’ll take Sade - Diamond Life.
Some belters in this year imo
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155134
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1984 - Andrew, Durly, Haighy, Mental, Mrs 64, Orange, 1304 to NOMINATE

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 am Can I have a compilation album released in 84? Bob Marley - Legend.
If comps aren’t allowed I’ll take Sade - Diamond Life.
Some belters in this year imo
Compilations not allowed Orange

Diamond Life is a cracker, Sade is a favourite in the 64's household 8-) I personally love soulful acts.
User avatar
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm And that's my 4 points taken.

An amazing run of albums, Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, New Good Dream and Sparkle in the Rain.
Yeah absolutely. A really good time for music for me with Simple Minds, The Smiths, Echo, Big Country and The Cure all having a major influence on me musically all of which still feature in my top 10 bands of all time.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8201
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - Andrew, Durly, Haighy, Mental, Mrs 64, 1304 to NOMINATE

Post by Mrs64 »

Queen 'The Works'
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 1984 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm Were I still taking part, I'd nominate "The Big Express" by XTC.

Sort of surprised it hasn't even been mentioned as yet.
My timeline on Farcebook has informed me it was released on this very day back in 84. So it and I share a birthday......it's younger than me though........
Image
Post Reply