Crystal Palace Thread - 2022/23 Season Review.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Crystal Palace Thread - Conor Gallagher

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:05 pm Still bugs me Gallagher chose Palace over Leeds, :shock: he was just the type of player we required in our midfield until we could afford a world-class type.
Seems like he wanted to stay in the smoke. For me it's pointless taking a player on loan and wasting time, money and Bielsa's knowledge for the benefit of Chelsea, who probably won't even play him on his return. In the meantime we'd then get attached to the player, as we did with White, and then Chelsea quote us a fortune to buy him. So I don't think that strategy has any long-term sustainability and alos has the flavour of other clubs taking the piss out of us.

I'd rather that Bielsa shows the same understanding, loyalty, and patience that he's invested in Roberts, Paddy and Harrison, etc, by giving the likes of Gelhardt and Bate an extended opportunity in the first eleven. At least then we're investing in our future, rather than investing in Chelsea, or the individual player's future = a waste of precious resources. Yes, White helped our immediate objective in getting promoted, but long-term we've given BHA and Arsenal a leg-up, which is shooting yourself in the foot.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:05 pm Still bugs me Gallagher chose Palace over Leeds, :shock: he was just the type of player we required in our midfield until we could afford a world-class type.
But his possible signing was derided on forums and social media by Leeds fans in the main, why come to a club that didn't want you... I recall the original thread, going on you tube to watch him and thinking this is a very good footballer in the making. I posted my approval but I think I was the only one...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:25 pm But his possible signing was derided on forums and social media by Leeds fans in the main, why come to a club that didn't want you... I recall the original thread, going on you tube to watch him and thinking this is a very good footballer in the making. I posted my approval but I think I was the only one...
No you wasn't the only one, Faaip.

https://motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p892660
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:42 pm No you wasn't the only one, Faaip.

https://motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p892660
:tup:
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Che Adams was a player I always wanted too, would be the perfect 10 here. They were the two big misses ...not the likes of De Paul and others ...

Midfield of Phillips/Gallagher and Adams with Raph and James on the wing and a decent striker would have been a fairly cheap way of threatening the top 6 on a consistent basis especially with the talent we have coming through
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:20 pm Seems like he wanted to stay in the smoke. For me it's pointless taking a player on loan and wasting time, money and Bielsa's knowledge for the benefit of Chelsea, who probably won't even play him on his return. In the meantime we'd then get attached to the player, as we did with White, and then Chelsea quote us a fortune to buy him. So I don't think that strategy has any long-term sustainability and alos has the flavour of other clubs taking the piss out of us.

I'd rather that Bielsa shows the same understanding, loyalty, and patience that he's invested in Roberts, Paddy and Harrison, etc, by giving the likes of Gelhardt and Bate an extended opportunity in the first eleven. At least then we're investing in our future, rather than investing in Chelsea, or the individual player's future = a waste of precious resources. Yes, White helped our immediate objective in getting promoted, but long-term we've given BHA and Arsenal a leg-up, which is shooting yourself in the foot.
Good point, understand where you are coming from mate. Just felt if we couldn't find or afford the signing that would be a good fit for Bielsa's Leeds, Gallagher was the stop-gap required.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:48 pm Che Adams was a player I always wanted too, would be the perfect 10 here. They were the two big misses ...not the likes of De Paul and others ...

Midfield of Phillips/Gallagher and Adams with Raph and James on the wing and a decent striker would have been a fairly cheap way of threatening the top 6 on a consistent basis especially with the talent we have coming through
Really impressed with Adams vs Villa a couple of weeks ago. I was at St Andrews when he ran all over us prior to his move to the Saints!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:49 pm Good point, understand where you are coming from mate. Just felt if we couldn't find or afford the signing that would be a good fit for Bielsa's Leeds, Gallagher was the stop-gap required.
Yeah, there's an argument that with Gallagher we would have more creativity and a goal threat. I also think he could work as a striker too, as he can hold the ball, physically strong and skillful. So maybe that would have pushed us up a level.

I still think if I was given the choice of Bate on a permanent move, or Gallagher for just one season, then I'd stick with Bate every time.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gallagher didn't impress one little bit at WBA.

Doing OK at Palace but maybe we should wait a while before we anoint him the second coming of Zidane and bemoan missing out on someone who hasn't had 1 decent full season at the top level?

Haven't changed my mind.

Straight loans are tin pot and Gallagher is nowhere near good enough to justify one.

He also turned us down remember, he didn't want to play for LUFC because he wanted to stay in London.

So he takes the easy option.

Is he better than Forshaw and Dallas? Probably.

Is he the calibre of player we should be loaning? No, loans should be reserved for dream signings.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sorry Current Argentina International who is playing regularly for one of Europe's top teams wasn't a big miss but Gallagher on loan was?

I've heard it all now.
Signed

King Cjay

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Cjay wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:58 pm Sorry Current Argentina International who is playing regularly for one of Europe's top teams wasn't a big miss but Gallagher on loan was?

I've heard it all now.
Doubt De Paul was ever going to come to Leeds, especially if Madrid wanted him, warmer weather and virtually guaranteed CL every year.
YorkshireTea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by YorkshireTea »

I just read a while ago he's been called up to England well done Conor!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm Doubt De Paul was ever going to come to Leeds, especially if Madrid wanted him, warmer weather and virtually guaranteed CL every year.
Would have taken a lot to get him here imo, and if we had I think he's moving by next season and at 35-40M we may have lost money... Could look at it his money went on Llorente and Raph so we're ahead there ...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm Doubt De Paul was ever going to come to Leeds, especially if Madrid wanted him, warmer weather and virtually guaranteed CL every year.
Last summer no probably not time had gone.

Season before was the time, he was prepared to come by all accounts.

Various very reputable sources said as much.

I wont ever know what possessed us to sign Rodrigo Moreno for the same amount De Paul would have cost and then play Moreno in a position he isnt suited to but De Paul was.

It for me is the biggest missed opportunity LUFC has had in a long time.

But hey ho.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Good luck to the lad on getting his England call up. I have never seen the lad play to be fair. No doubt the call-up will increase his value alot. Did we jump too soon? We could have had Jesse Lingard for £10m in January. :P
1964white

Re: Crystal Palace Thread - How much of a threat will Gallagher/Benteke/Zaha be next Tuesday?

Post by 1964white »

Calm & collected play from Gallagher to set-up Benteke for his fourth goal of the season

Gallagher - 4 goals, 3 assists
Beneke - 4 goals, 1 assist
Zaha - 3 goals, 1 assist
Edounard - 3 goals

How much of a threat will Gallagher/Benteke/Zaha be next Tuesday?

Another cracking goal from Burnley's new French signing, Cornet.

1964white

Re: Crystal Palace Thread - How much of a threat will Gallagher/Benteke/Zaha be next Tuesday?

Post by 1964white »

No replies to the question/post above???

Remember, our next home game is against Palace next week.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Too good for our defence.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

When they're on fire they're something special, up to us to minimise their strengths, lets hope they struggle with our abilities.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Maxwel Cornet 5 goals in 7 games and cost half a Dan James.
Signed

King Cjay