Whats gone wrong . .

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Whether you understand Bielsa’s methods or not, if they appear to be working and the team is on the up, as has been the case since he came into the club, then fans are going to be happy with the situation. And I am, and will always be grateful to him for taking this “Premier League Club” back to where, by any measure, it really should be.

When things take a downturn as they have this season then imo fans are quite entitled to question his methods, especially when, judging by recent performances, they are appearing to be counterproductive. I agree that, as you say, switching players positions will increase their understanding and make them better players in the long run but I feel that this should be done in training, or, if it must be done in matches, then at least when we are on a winning run and confidence is high, not in when confidence is low and we are desperate for points.

Questioning his methods doesn’t equate to saying he doesn’t deserve our support. Personally, I desperately want him to stay and turn things around but I’m not going to shy away from constructive criticism on this forum, albeit in moderation, if I feel it is called for.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2071
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Clacton White »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 am Thanks Clacton, we're not so bad after all, contrary to some opinions.
Thats Ok , I haven't seen anything on here that is overtly nasty , of course I may have missed something but it does seem everyone let's others have their say and not jump down their throats .One of the people on SQB I likened to a demented spinning top , lashing out randomly against basically anyone who disagreed or who he didn't understand the context of what was said , often the written word can be misinterpreted .I find it best on such to laugh it off .
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6744
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm Also it's well reported Bielsa has his staff translate all manner of things for him to read.

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he indeed does read this forum ir at the very least someone does for him.
If he does we'll be fine then, five minutes browsing the real experts will make it clear where he's going wrong.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If he was offended by anything on here , that really would denote a flaw in character. I'd say this place leans more towards sycophantic behaviour.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19694
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by weasel »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:18 pm If he was offended by anything on here , that really would denote a flaw in character. I'd say this place leans more towards sycophantic behaviour.
It isn't about him feeling offended it is about him feeling unwanted. Judging from him walking out of clubs in the past I doubt he would stick around here if he felt unwanted.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
liggy
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 am

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by liggy »

All he has to do is tell the lads to run around the pitch 4 times
First 2 back pick the teams worst player goes in goal
Jumpers for goalposts
A few cans after the kick around
You don't need to do owt fancy it a simple game.
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Byebyegeegee »

liggy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 am All he has to do is tell the lads to run around the pitch 4 times
First 2 back pick the teams worst player goes in goal
Jumpers for goalposts
A few cans after the kick around
You don't need to do owt fancy it a simple game.
Yep, that’s how it worked in our playground Liggy. Great stuff!😂
rab_rant

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by rab_rant »

weasel wrote: It isn't about him feeling offended it is about him feeling unwanted. Judging from him walking out of clubs in the past I doubt he would stick around here if he felt unwanted.
I just watched the Kalvin Post match interview and pointedly the interviewer asked him if he enjoyed being back in his normal position instead of centre back.

He replied that he would play in goal if that's where Bielsa wanted him, and that he was also aware of the rubbish that's been written on social media.

So the players do get caught up in places like Twitter and they get to hear all the negative comments that are thrown about by uncomprehending fans... just fanning the Flames of Discord... and who knows how much damage it does.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

rab_rant wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:01 am I just watched the Kalvin Post match interview and pointedly the interviewer asked him if he enjoyed being back in his normal position instead of centre back.

He replied that he would play in goal if that's where Bielsa wanted him, and that he was also aware of the rubbish that's been written on social media.

So the players do get caught up in places like Twitter and they get to hear all the negative comments that are thrown about by uncomprehending fans... just fanning the Flames of Discord... and who knows how much damage it does.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Ever thought about a position in public relations for lufc.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by The Subhuman »

Presumably this is a thread for negativity not a serious suggestion
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14629
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by hector »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:13 pm Presumably this is a thread for negativity not a serious suggestion
touche 8-)

:) :)
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:01 pm I'm not against fans questioning the decisions, I'd have loved to have seen Joe start again and I don't think Bielsa has any problem with fans questioning decisions. We have often seen him explaining things, shouldering up to responsiblity etc. It is more the continued questioning as if fans don't understand Bielsa's methods at all. The round pegs thing a classic example yet from day 1 Bielsa has done this and it has made players better through it, increased their understanding, made it easier for us to play fast flowing football as the players know other player's roles, know what runs they will be amking, know what positions to get into etc when we lose the ball.

For me it wasn't just the Bielsa 'love' that made him stay longer. I think it was that he felt the fans were on the same wavelength as Bielsa, we could see why he was doign things, we loved him making the players tidy up the rubbish - would KP etc be too big to clean up rubbish now?

He felt wanted, he felt understood. It was a perfect fit. If he doesn't feel wanted then is he really going to stick around in a different country away from his family? He certainly wouldn't stick around for the money, he has shown that repeatedly throughout his career.

He doesn't owe us anything, we were a mid level championship team when he took over with a squad of players with little value. If he doesn't deserve our support then I despair.
Well this is the manager who had 20 angry fans turn up at his home back in Argentina after a 6-0 thrashing. That's when he confronted them with a hand grenade...So I don't think some disgruntled fans making comments on a forum is going to freak him out too much. Surely after all his years in football he is made of sterner stuff than that ?

Plus £6m a year in renumeration is enough surely to counterbalance the pressures which inevitably come with football management ?
Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Overman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm Well this is the manager who had 20 angry fans turn up at his home back in Argentina after a 6-0 thrashing. That's when he confronted them with a hand grenade...So I don't think some disgruntled fans making comments on a forum is going to freak him out too much. Surely after all his years in football he is made of sterner stuff than that ?

Plus £6m a year in renumeration is enough surely to counterbalance the pressures which inevitably come with football management ?
Great to have you back on board Chapelallman. 👍
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:22 pm touche 8-)

:) :)
I liked the irony ... ;-)
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41699
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:13 pm Presumably this is a thread for negativity not a serious suggestion
It wasnt a suggestion it was an observation :lol:

Nice attempt though

Good effort
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79003
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 pm It wasnt a suggestion it was an observation :lol:

Nice attempt though

Good effort
Semantics
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19694
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by weasel »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm Well this is the manager who had 20 angry fans turn up at his home back in Argentina after a 6-0 thrashing. That's when he confronted them with a hand grenade...So I don't think some disgruntled fans making comments on a forum is going to freak him out too much. Surely after all his years in football he is made of sterner stuff than that ?

Plus £6m a year in renumeration is enough surely to counterbalance the pressures which inevitably come with football management ?
It's like people don't even read before answering. I have lost count of how many times I have said that money is irrelevant to Bielsa. He has walked out of clubs countless times and if he was just after money he'd have signed a longer deal and then been in a position to get a huge pay-out if he was sacked.

And again I say it isn't about him feeling intimidated, freaked out or not being stern. It is about him feeling wanted or not wanted and I feel if he feels like the fans no longer wanted him here then he wouldn't simply stick around. He didn't stay at Newells for a huge length of time, maybe the angry fans turning up played a part in making him feel not wanted there.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Aussieleeds
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Aussieleeds »

A win on Sunday and we are likely to be in 11th place. If that happens then I’d say “Not much has gone wrong at all.”
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm It's like people don't even read before answering. I have lost count of how many times I have said that money is irrelevant to Bielsa. He has walked out of clubs countless times and if he was just after money he'd have signed a longer deal and then been in a position to get a huge pay-out if he was sacked.

And again I say it isn't about him feeling intimidated, freaked out or not being stern. It is about him feeling wanted or not wanted and I feel if he feels like the fans no longer wanted him here then he wouldn't simply stick around. He didn't stay at Newells for a huge length of time, maybe the angry fans turning up played a part in making him feel not wanted there.
Well that's just your guesswork and your interpretation about what you think his feelings are about money. With all due respect you're not his accountant or his spokesperson about money. I'm not saying that money is everything to him, however the fact that he commanded the highest wage in the champoionship and one of the highest in the PL is proof that it's not an insignificant factor to him. Otherwise he would say ' I've made a lot in football and don't need the money, so I will do it for 500K a year. That will more than cover the rent of my one bedroom flat in Wetherby.'

Bielsa is actually the 5th highest paid manager in the PL and we are in what, 15th place....Sorry, but I don't buy into the romantic notions about Bielsa - he's only here because he loves the club etc. I'm pretty sure that if the club had offered him say 2m for this season he would have gone straight back to his ranch in Argentina. At the end of the day it's the fans who have true love and passion for the club - the players and managers are really just professionals earning a living. I'm sure that Bielsa has developed a fondness for the club and Wetherby etc whilst he has been here, but at the end of the day the fact that the club were willing to make him the best paid manager in the championship clearly had a major bearing on why he was tempted to try and resurrect a sleeping giant. It wont have been everything, but I think it's naive to thing that it wasn't a major factor.
User avatar
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: Santa Monica, USA

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by Lumiukko »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am Well that's just your guesswork and your interpretation about what you think his feelings are about money. With all due respect you're not his accountant or his spokesperson about money. I'm not saying that money is everything to him, however the fact that he commanded the highest wage in the champoionship and one of the highest in the PL is proof that it's not an insignificant factor to him. Otherwise he would say ' I've made a lot in football and don't need the money, so I will do it for 500K a year. That will more than cover the rent of my one bedroom flat in Wetherby.'

Bielsa is actually the 5th highest paid manager in the PL and we are in what, 15th place....Sorry, but I don't buy into the romantic notions about Bielsa - he's only here because he loves the club etc. I'm pretty sure that if the club had offered him say 2m for this season he would have gone straight back to his ranch in Argentina. At the end of the day it's the fans who have true love and passion for the club - the players and managers are really just professionals earning a living. I'm sure that Bielsa has developed a fondness for the club and Wetherby etc whilst he has been here, but at the end of the day the fact that the club were willing to make him the best paid manager in the championship clearly had a major bearing on why he was tempted to try and resurrect a sleeping giant. It wont have been everything, but I think it's naive to thing that it wasn't a major factor.
How does Bielsa's wage stack up against other PL managers once Bielsa has paid his whole team/backroom staff out if it? He has a very unique wage structure in that he pays his team out of that 6m he earns a year. Just asking since you're not his accountant either.

That said, I don't have an answer about whether he does it for the money or does he do it for the love and passion. I think it's probably somewhere in-between, like most people with a good job that they like.

And will he walk if the fans get on his back? I don't know either but the way some folk talk, it would appear they would like to test the hypotheses.
Post Reply