Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Celtic
2
17%
Rangers
2
17%
Aberdeen
1
8%
Hearts
1
8%
Hibernian
0
No votes
Other
6
50%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79034
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am None really, but as a kid used to listen to the scores on Grandstand in the hope that one day there would be a Forfar 4 v 5 East Fife or
East Fife 5 v 4 Forfar………….I can’t ever recall there was though.
Forfar 5 East Fife 4 apparently occurred in 63/64 season
There was a East Fife 4 Forfar 5 after ET and pens in 2018

Sat Feb 15 1964 Scottish Cup R3 Dundee 6-1 Forfar Athletic 17574
Sat Feb 22 1964 L2 Forfar Athletic 3-3 Berwick Rangers Station Park 348
Sat Feb 29 1964 L2 Morton 6-1 Forfar Athletic Cappielow 8217
Sat Mar 7 1964 r L2 Stranraer 5-2 Forfar Athletic Stair Park 632
Sat Mar 28 1964 L2 Montrose 5-0 Forfar Athletic Links Park 969
Sat Apr 4 1964 L2 Forfar Athletic 3-3 Alloa Athletic Station Park 214
Wed Apr 8 1964 r L2 Forfar Athletic 2-0 Stirling Albion Station Park 395
Wed Apr 15 1964 r L2 Forfar Athletic 3-3 Ayr United Station Park 356
Sat Apr 18 1964 L2 Raith Rovers 1-4 Forfar Athletic Stark's Park 983
Wed Apr 22 1964 L2 Forfar Athletic 5-4 East Fife Station Park 562
Fri Apr 24 1964 L2 Albion Rovers 1-1 Forfar Athletic Cliftonhill 250
Wed Apr 29 1964 r L2 Cowdenbeath 0-0 Forfar Athletic

Must have been great watching Forfar back end of that season if you liked goals though.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20740
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by whiteswan »

Believe it or not I actually remember the Forfar 5 East Fyfe 4 result coming in. I used to lay on the floor at my Grandnma's house as a kid watching the footy results, just before Dr Who came on. I always thought it was East Fyfe 4 Forfar 5 mind!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79034
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:12 pm Believe it or not I actually remember the Forfar 5 East Fyfe 4 result coming in. I used to lay on the floor at my Grandnma's house as a kid watching the footy results, just before Dr Who came on. I always thought it was East Fyfe 4 Forfar 5 mind!
Blame Eric Morcombe for that
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
liggy
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 2257
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:54 am

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by liggy »

faaip wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 pm Season ticket holder at Raith for one season in the seventies
My quack has a picture of Raith Rovers on the wall of his surgery room,
He also has something to do with the club
Dr Binmore.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by mentalcase »

Rangers.
Also, if we hadn't played 174 games that season , and 4 in the last week before the celtic match in 1970, we would have had them over the 2 legs.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Berwick Rangers.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4012
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Twitter: @richleeds64
Location: Leeds LS27

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am None really, but as a kid used to listen to the scores on Grandstand in the hope that one day there would be a Forfar 4 v 5 East Fife or
East Fife 5 v 4 Forfar………….I can’t ever recall there was though.
It happened, albeit in a penalty shootout East Fife 4 Forfar 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 am I remember going to Jack Charlton’s testimonial sometime in the early 70s. It was a friendly match arranged against Celtic and friendly being the operative word. It turned out to be a great celebration for Jack himself, played against a great atmosphere in the crowd so much so that by the end of the game the Celtic fans were chanting for us and we were chanting for them, although my mate did get his scarf nicked outside the ground. So I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Celtic ever since.

But having said that, when I can be bothered, I would check the results of perennial strugglers Albion Rovers for no other reason than I just like the name!
I remember that game, Byebye.

Celtic fans also filed the bottom half of the East Stand for Gary Kelly's testimonial, 8000 of them cheering them on to a 1-4 victory.
User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by barryanorak »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am I used to follow Meadowbank Thistle for no other reason than I liked their name 😁
I still follow Stenhousemuir for exactly the same reason - and I found it hard to believe how few people they got in a 'crowd'!
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am It does highlight tho the plight of Scottish football
They were more than a match for England in the 60s and 70s
I don't buy this small nation theory
So is Croatia they got to a world cup final
Uraguay has a tiny population but produce top footballers.
Apart from the two giant's Scottish football is atrocious.
So why is Scotland not producing any world class or quality players any more?

Are all the young kids into something else, liggy?
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:11 pm I still follow Stenhousemuir for exactly the same reason - and I found it hard to believe how few people they got in a 'crowd'!
Blimey J, where did you spring from.....Stenhousemuir possibly?

How are you?
User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by barryanorak »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:14 pm Blimey J, where did you spring from.....Stenhousemuir possibly?

How are you?
I pop in from time to time - as you can imagine, the last couple of years have been a little...busy!

How're you both?
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am It's the mighty RANGER'S for me

Berwick Rangers

also foreign team is Benfica
Where is Berwick's ground, liggy? Is it outside the town?

We've visited Berwick a few times. I can't recall seeing the ground.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6706
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by Finnatic »

Celtic as a kid cos I liked the hoops and nowadays it’s Gala Fairydean Rovers, cos it sounds a bit mystical.
I also like Bonnyrigg Rose who are in the same league and it’s a Wicker Man reference.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:16 pm I pop in from time to time - as you can imagine, the last couple of years have been a little...busy!

How're you both?
We're both surviving & well, mate,

How is your family?

The last couple of years haven't been great for all of us. I feel for the NHS workers :(
User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by barryanorak »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm We're both surviving & well, mate,

How is your family?

The last couple of years haven't been great for all of us. I feel for the NHS workers :(
Liz 'retired' a couple of years ago, she now has a jewellery making business. The girls are both well, and in gainful employment. Which is nice...

Managed to get to ER for the Wolves game - first visit in years! Hoping for another visit or two before the season is out.
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

I suspect many on here can't remember that great Celtic side.

I can still name their 1 to 11 team.

Couldn't name a single player in their current squad.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18304
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:18 pm Where is Berwick's ground, liggy? Is it outside the town?

We've visited Berwick a few times. I can't recall seeing the ground.
There you go 64
23594650-3CFF-4A11-9E53-1A6895B451A6.jpeg
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or In Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

barryanorak wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:31 pm Liz 'retired' a couple of years ago, she now has a jewellery making business. The girls are both well, and in gainful employment. Which is nice...

Managed to get to ER for the Wolves game - first visit in years! Hoping for another visit or two before the season is out.
Are the girls still at home, I assume they both went to university? Good for Liz, probably involved in something she enjoys doing.

So you witnessed the potential of young Joe Gelhardt?
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155212
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your Favourite Scottish Team Now Or From Decades Gone By?

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 pm There you go 64

23594650-3CFF-4A11-9E53-1A6895B451A6.jpeg
Thanks Cat

On the outskirts of the town, I suspect.

Will have to have a further look round that area, I notice Spittal on the coast which maybe worth a visit & a walk along the sands.
Post Reply