Bielsa almost never chooses youth over experience, that isn't just my view he said as much himself in interviews fairly recently. If you wanted to you could find the quote somewhere, it was in one of my press conference.threads regarding.Gelhardt maybe or Cresswell, something like that.weasel wrote: ↑Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:15 pm Bielsa had no choice to play Messlier - albeit he could have signed an experienced keeper when Kiko got banned. But even you then have said that because Messlier did okay Bielsa decided to stick with youth rather than recall experience - something you and others seem to suggest never happens. Although Messlier did well I don't think he did so well that Kiko couldn't have been brought back in as first choice - I seem to recall most fans suggesting that we needed a new first choice keeper that summer with Messlier then as back up. I seem to recall you being very angry we hadn't sign Emi Martinez from Arsenal.
As for why he stuck with Mes I imagine firstly because he did ok(not brilliant but ok) and secondly because its simply the easiest role in the team. It's a sweeper keeper, a common role in football and not at all unique to Bielsa, so it was easier to gain his faith.
I don't think Mes was brilliant but Casilla had made some high profile blunders which Meslier managed not to.
Was I entirely convinced? No and actually to this day I'd say Martinez is a better keeper but Meslier is the one and only.young player Bielsa has fully trusted in his time.here.





