Written off stars shine brightest tonight

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41694
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:23 pm Not to worry though we have some excellent posts dedicated to female singers :)
Absolutely!!!!!

Ive got my priorities straight 8-)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
velo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4179
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by velo »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:18 pm i was more highlighting how quick some people write players off
The only first team player that needs writing of is FAAIPs poster boy
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19690
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:47 pm The problem with James for me was that he came here with a reputation for having an extremely poor end product, not just bad, but awful. Everything you read about him, fans opinions, scout reports, everything always made mention of an extremely poor end product.

And during his time here it has been true, his end product for an attacking player has been extremely bad. His creative stats were worse than Tyler Roberts and Junior Firpo, they are awful for an attacking player who has played the amount of minutes he has, and his shooting stats werent much better.

So whilst it seemed unfair maybe to criticse him i think most people were just frustrated that we had seemingly signed someone who was the nightmare end product we read about and then combine that with Gelhardt who has made a positive contribution on almost all of his matches it just made the anger toward James worse (even though it admittedly isnt his fault Bielsa was playing hinm out of position over Gelhardt).

James started off on fire for MU. His career has then stalled or probably even regressed. I have seen enough of him that I would at worst describe his end product as inconsistent. But if ever there is a coach that can improve that it would be a certain fella that likes to sit on a bucket. Some of the goals he has scored for Wales and MU have been superb. The talent is definitely there, consistency of finish not so much yet...
That is why I find it so frustrating people writing him off so quickly. Bielsa is doing what he does to make James into a potnetially great player. There was a good bit on the BBC tonight where they were suggesting it is about him needing to slow it down for the end product to improve and I think that is true to some degree. Thierry Henry was the same, a fast as f*ck winger who couldn't score. Wenger transformed him into a clinical striker. Henry would burst into the box with his pace then slow down, set himself and curl it into the bottom corner. I think some of that needs to happen with James, the explosion then the clarity and precision. It can be learnt.


Rodrigo has quality we know that but tbh i dont think it will ever properly click here, i just think he is a poor fit for the style (which again was highlighted in scout reports done on him after he signed, his pressing stats and all that stuff was well down on what Bielsa likes which made it all the more weird given the Obsession MB has over that sort of thing), and he doesnt have a natural role in the style we play as we know as he has said himself.

He has quality though as a player, he has talent and today that technical ability and vision was on show and full credit to him, he carried the burden creatively on a day whereby Raph who usually does was off. But the midfield was non existent and he is part of that so it wasnt the perfect performance by any means imo.

Certainly not a perfect performance but he isthe attacking threat from the midfield and he did that superbly tonight. Let's see him have a good run in the team before we really judge him. If we get him playing like this consistently and Rapinha and Harrison on song too then the other midfielders can be a bit more defensive orientated - although having KP back will help massively too

James surprised me today, he showed an end product and a threat i wasnt sure he had, Rodrigo showed glimpses of the quality on the ball that made him the Spanish international he is.

Both of them deserve credit for that and for taking the burden of an overworked Raphinha.

Now though they must build on it, we need the sort of consistency from James and Rodrigo that Raph has shown, 1 game like today in 5 isnt enough.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19690
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by weasel »

velo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:17 am The only first team player that needs writing of is FAAIPs poster boy
I would agree with you to a large extent there. I don't really see where Roberts fits in especially when everyone returns. I think he can be a good player but feel he will be slipping down the pecking order. But if we can make a profit on him then it helps us become a self sustaining club. Not every player will make it with us.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:21 am I would agree with you to a large extent there. I don't really see where Roberts fits in especially when everyone returns. I think he can be a good player but feel he will be slipping down the pecking order. But if we can make a profit on him then it helps us become a self sustaining club. Not every player will make it with us.
For 2.5M and 100 generally successful appearances, he already has. Wasn't going to say anything but I did get called out
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Orange Box »

I’ve followed football and rugby, professional and amateur, on the terraces and sidelines, for 60 odd years now and if there’s one thing I’ve picked up - it’s that supporters are fickle. It human nature to ebb and flow with their passion and opinion.
It’s the 10-80-10 rule writ large. 10% are unnaturally rose tinted optimists, 10% unnaturally critical pessimists, and the remaining 80% fluctuate. I’m defo in the 80% group. I moan, and I cheer. Following Leeds for years I’ve moaned, more recently I’ve cheered, and this year my moaning has crept back in., interspersed with jumping up and down cheering.
Does this mean I love my club(s) any less? No, it does not.
Sports players’ form also fluctuates, because they are human too. And especially professional players, constantly in the limelight. I’d have a nervous breakdown every time I stepped onto the pitch, no wonder they have off-periods.
As I’ve read on a post today, form is temporary, class is permanent.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

I watched the MOTD highlights last night and indeed James was electric.

I don't think that anybody has ever doubted Rodrigo's raw ability - more whether at the age of 31 ( very nearly ) he is the answer as a no 10. And especially for a 28m club record and 100k a week wages.

However the name of the game is CONSISTENCY. You will notice that since scoring that hat trick against West Ham Harrison has not exactly set the world on fire. What the club needs most of all are players who can put in a similar level of performance week in week out, like Revie's and Wilko's players could do. If players are to be judged on what later turned out to be flash in the pan performances then lots of players in the history of the sport who never quite made it would be looked back on as great players. A really good player is first and foremost a consistent player because it's not all about ability, it's about mind management as well. It's the same throughout all sport.

What was James' downfall on the other side of the Pennines was exactly the same criticism that he has had during his time here - a lack of a final product and lack of composure in front of goal. Harrison has often been criticised for exactly the same reasons. Hopefully James is working on this consistently in training and may develop this part of his game much better and faster than Harrison has done in his 4 seasons at the club. He has a terrific attitude and is keen to learn, so he may yet be transformed into the kind of player that the club so badly needs.

Lots of people on here after the West Ham game were as excited as if we had just won the league - and then came the Newcastle game. Again, the true test is whether any degree of consistency can be achieved.

As for the defending - well, we are consistently poor at this week in week out...Is it 2 goals a game conceded now throughout the season ?
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:35 am I’ve followed football and rugby, professional and amateur, on the terraces and sidelines, for 60 odd years now and if there’s one thing I’ve picked up - it’s that supporters are fickle. It human nature to ebb and flow with their passion and opinion.
It’s the 10-80-10 rule writ large. 10% are unnaturally rose tinted optimists, 10% unnaturally critical pessimists, and the remaining 80% fluctuate. I’m defo in the 80% group. I moan, and I cheer. Following Leeds for years I’ve moaned, more recently I’ve cheered, and this year my moaning has crept back in., interspersed with jumping up and down cheering.
Does this mean I love my club(s) any less? No, it does not.
Sports players’ form also fluctuates, because they are human too. And especially professional players, constantly in the limelight. I’d have a nervous breakdown every time I stepped onto the pitch, no wonder they have off-periods.
As I’ve read on a post today, form is temporary, class is permanent.
I think that's true - and the 10% groups tend to jar heavily on each other.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Orange Box »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:58 am I think that's true - and the 10% groups tend to jar heavily on each other.
Now that might just be the understatement of the year my friend.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8780
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 pm Raphinha had a mare!

Obviously, the two games for Brazil & all the travelling knackered our star player.

His teammates stood up to the plate tonight.

I'm exhausted just watching that game :lol:
Wasn't Coutinho also in the Brazil squad last week?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Leeds1000 »

Rodrigo had a good game. I still have him down as a luxury player personally. He looks very ponderous out of possession and at his age tracking back and working off the ball is not something that won't come naturally. James just needs some consistency.
Last edited by Leeds1000 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8780
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Chilli D »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:35 am I’ve followed football and rugby, professional and amateur, on the terraces and sidelines, for 60 odd years now and if there’s one thing I’ve picked up - it’s that supporters are fickle. It human nature to ebb and flow with their passion and opinion.
It’s the 10-80-10 rule writ large. 10% are unnaturally rose tinted optimists, 10% unnaturally critical pessimists, and the remaining 80% fluctuate. I’m defo in the 80% group. I moan, and I cheer. Following Leeds for years I’ve moaned, more recently I’ve cheered, and this year my moaning has crept back in., interspersed with jumping up and down cheering.
Does this mean I love my club(s) any less? No, it does not.
Sports players’ form also fluctuates, because they are human too. And especially professional players, constantly in the limelight. I’d have a nervous breakdown every time I stepped onto the pitch, no wonder they have off-periods.
As I’ve read on a post today, form is temporary, class is permanent.
Pretty accurate description of the 10-80-10 grouping of fans.
And I know exactly who fits into which category on here.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19690
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by weasel »

Leeds1000 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:19 am Rodrigo had a good game. I still have him down as a luxury player personally. He looks very ponderous out of possession and at his age tracking back and working off the ball is not something that won't come naturally. James just needs some consistency.
I think you could apply that description to our last no10, Pablo Hernandez. Rodrigo at 30 still can play the position for a few years. i think people get too pre-occupied with stats. We judge Rodrigo De Paul by his stats alone yet how many of us have seen him play? If Klich has his shooting boots on last night then Rodrigo maybe gets 3 assists.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8780
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Chilli D »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:31 am I think you could apply that description to our last no10, Pablo Hernandez. Rodrigo at 30 still can play the position for a few years. i think people get too pre-occupied with stats. We judge Rodrigo De Paul by his stats alone yet how many of us have seen him play? If Klich has his shooting boots on last night then Rodrigo maybe gets 3 assists.
I think 2 of the 3 chances Klich had last night fell on his weaker left foot. The one he actually caught hold of properly deflected off Mings back and we scored from the resultant corner.
I thought he was fairly poor overall but did do a lovely back heel which led to our second goal.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11892
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:26 pm No doubt all around the Leeds fan base there were groans as Bielsa's team line-up was announced. Dan James up front and Gelhardt on the bench again. Dan James the player being played out of position and being used by many fans as another stick to hit Bielsa with. It was James though that was electric in the first half. His first goal showing great composure and confidence to finish with an immaculate finish. His goal though was not the only highlight as he continually linked up play with clever flicks and round the corner passes. A thunderbolt shot was millimetres from putting Leeds 2-0 up thumping off the crossbar. A second goal then would have probably killed Villa off but football is such a fickle game and within moments of that let off Villa were level. Villa have their very own written off star in Philip Coutinho. Coutinho never seemed to fit into the Barcelona side despite the huge fee they paid for him. Discarded by Barcelona but snapped up by his pal Steven Gerrard he showed his class as he scored and then had 2 assists. The game had turned on its head. Back though came the 'midget,' James, jumping highest and putting his head where it hurt to bring Leeds back to 2-3 on the stroke of half time.

Half time saw many Leeds fans eating humble pie. Bielsa's faith, ridiculed as madness, in playing James up front paying off as he once again shows how he can improve players. Man Utd fans watching would surely be wishing they still had the player.

Fans who quickly write off players were also being treated by an impressive performance from Rodrigo. Many fans who wanted him to leave on loan to Barcelona were being treated to a show of class by a player who has hardly had chance to get a settled run in the Leeds sidde due to injuries and Covid.

Will the same fans who are quick to judge now jump on the back of Raphinha? It was a subdued performance from the superstar whilst the lesser stars took their chance to shine.
Great article :tup: :tup:
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by Mountain »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:26 pm Will the same fans who are quick to judge now jump on the back of Raphinha? It was a subdued performance from the superstar whilst the lesser stars took their chance to shine.
Didn't you hear?

That was Bielsa's fault too.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155131
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:16 am Wasn't Coutinho also in the Brazil squad last week?
Yes Chilli.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19690
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:56 pmYes Chilli.
Did Coutinho play in the Brazil matches?
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155131
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:57 am I think 2 of the 3 chances Klich had last night fell on his weaker left foot. The one he actually caught hold of properly deflected off Mings back and we scored from the resultant corner.
I thought he was fairly poor overall but did do a lovely back heel which led to our second goal.
Typical Klich I'm afraid, far too many powder-puff shots, one footed & no pace, hence why we don't score goals & concede easily because our midfield is overrun.

On the flip side, take Jacob Ramsey.

Young, pacy & makes runs from deep, two footed, a clinical finisher (left/right strikes last night) & a clever/talented footballer.

Bielsa would love Jacob at Leeds, imagine how much he would improve Ramsey's game.

Five goals in twenty PL appearances this season, that's as many as Klich, Dallas, Rodrigo, Roberts & Forshaw have scored between them from the middle of the park.

Not writing our players off, btw, just stating a fact
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Written off stars shine brightest tonight

Post by The Subhuman »

Klich was my third best player last night...he had a good game IMO, some really clever runs
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply