Here's to our third season in the top flight

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Here's to our third season in the top flight

Post by foxy »

never expected us to stay up but after that draining season we need to learn the lessons very quickly. recruitment is key which also means moving on those players who will never be good enough (sorry Tyler). I'm still not clear what marsch's tactics really are and do worry that we will become as turgid as displayed in a number of the last 12 matches. however given that he delivered what he was brought in for he certainly deserves the chance to put his stamp on the team. hopefully he can get signings in quickly ( lack of summer world cup should help that process) and have a full pre season. raphinha deserves the chance to shine in the champions league so he should move on with our good wishes (and a large fee to fund replacements). keeping kalvin will be a real boost and adding some quality experience to our good youngsters should provide some hope for next year. onwards and upwards and enjoy the summer
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

What a season, I hope there wasn’t too much angst on here! What a feeling when Harrison scored on Sunday nearly made the horrible season worth it. Fair play to Burnley for going on the run they did and put us under pressure.
Let’s hope the board realise the errors they made and the 49rs put their money where their mouth is and we can have a more comfortable season next year.
I hope Marsch gets to put his stamp on the squad for next year and prove some doubters wrong. Was gutted when Bielsa was sacked but now we have stayed up we can really look back on his time with great fondness
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 pm What a season, I hope there wasn’t too much angst on here! What a feeling when Harrison scored on Sunday nearly made the horrible season worth it. Fair play to Burnley for going on the run they did and put us under pressure.
Let’s hope the board realise the errors they made and the 49rs put their money where their mouth is and we can have a more comfortable season next year.
I hope Marsch gets to put his stamp on the squad for next year and prove some doubters wrong. Was gutted when Bielsa was sacked but now we have stayed up we can really look back on his time with great fondness
Welcome back dezzy :tup:

Has been a horrible season, let's hope for a massive improvement in the 2022/23 campaign.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Bookies have us as 11/4 for a top half finish but 3/1 for relegation. Strange. Make of that what you will.
Bournemouth 8/11 for the drop. Southampton should be worried I’d say, they were really in free fall and just hid behind the useless trio that were us, Burnley & Everton. Could get exposed next season
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

dezzy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 pm What a season, I hope there wasn’t too much angst on here! What a feeling when Harrison scored on Sunday nearly made the horrible season worth it. Fair play to Burnley for going on the run they did and put us under pressure.
Welcome back, dezzy, hope you're well and that post wasn't a one-off
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 pm Just saw a report that the club have rejected a fifty-five million offer for Raphinha.
It's 55 million EUROS mate. Around £47 million
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Don't know if there's a Champions league thread so i've just stuck it here, be nice to play in it again sometime before death.

The Champions League is the pinnacle of modern football, both in terms of prestige and money. Here, we break down how much each of the Premier League’s four entrants – Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United – earned from the competition in 2021-22.

As well as the prize money from the Premier League, which we broke down here, each of the four English clubs involved in the Champions League netted huge sums, which we are able to break down thanks to the fine work of Twitter’s very own football finance expert Swiss Ramble.

Every club to compete in the 2021-22 Champions League group stage received a guaranteed €15.6million, with each win in the group stage worth an additional €2.8million and each draw worth €930,000.

Beyond that, every stage was worth a significant sum, with each added to the last. Teams that qualified for the round of 16 received €9.6million, for the quarter-final, €10.6million, and for the semi-final, a further €12.5million.

The team that lost in the final – Liverpool, in 2021-22 – then added €15.5million to their total, while the winners Real Madrid banked €20million.

All of that is just the prize money for progress in the competition, with television money and coefficient money still to come.

Swiss Ramble estimates that €68.1million in TV revenue was shared between the four Premier League clubs in 2021-22, with half of that money split based on the four teams’ Premier League placing the previous season and the other half divvied up based on their progress in the 2021-22 Champions League.

Coefficient money, meanwhile, is relative to each club’s UEFA coefficient ranking, calculated based on their performance in UEFA competitions over the previous 10 seasons.

Deducted from all that was a relatively small rebate, handed back to TV companies for the reduced Champions League fixture schedule in the 2019-20 season, when the quarter and semi-finals were cut to one leg due to the Covid pandemic.

Arsene Wenger famously remarked in 2012 that finishing in the top four and qualifying for the Champions League was as important as winning a trophy. At the time, the sentiment caused an uproar. Looking at these numbers, though, you have to say Wenger was spot on.

So, here are the estimated totals earned by each of the Premier League’s four participants in the 2021-22 Champions League.

Liverpool
Participation: €15.6million
Prize money: €66.3million
TV pool: €17.1million
Coefficient: €22.7million
Rebate: -€4.1million
2021-22 total: €117.6million

Manchester City
Prize money: €44.8million
TV pool: €23.1million
Coefficient: €28.4million
Rebate: -€3.8million
2021-22 total: €108.2million

Chelsea
Prize money: €33.2million
TV pool: €11.3million
Coefficient: €33million
Rebate: -€3.2million
2021-22 total: €90million

Manchester United
Prize money: €20.5million
TV pool: €16.6million
Coefficient: €27.3million
Rebate: -€2.7million
2021-22 total: €77.3million
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

We definitely dodged a bullet and a massive warning to those in charge.
I am keen to see the transformation of the current team to compete in the 3rd season of the premier league.
We all need to be realistic on what we can achieve as the rebuilding process is going to take some time.
If the recruitment is done with an experienced eye, consultation with the manager, then we can avoid any mistakes.

Its a great achievement to rise from last seasons nightmare with a renewed hope that Leeds can get a firm foothold in Premier League.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It will be a strange season as we will no longer get to hear the phrases '2nd season syndrome' and 'Bielsa burnout' every week.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:06 am It will be a strange season as we will no longer get to hear the phrases '2nd season syndrome' and 'Bielsa burnout' every week.
We might get a lot of Marsch Madness if things don't go well .....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:17 am We might get a lot of Marsch Madness if things don't go well .....
Positive as ever mate
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

velo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:19 am Positive as ever mate
It's neither positive or negative ... it's a play on words
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"