Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by WhiteRose »

Allrounder wrote: ↑Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 pm Probably not a popular post here;

KP has been a tremendous servant for Leeds, but I think if we get big money for him we should let him go now.

Seems like he has lost some of his extra yard of pace. It has probably to do with his injuries but he has been poor the last year, honestly. Gives away too many free kicks as he is often late in the tackles. His passing has also been poor at times. He will always be a Leeds boy but should cash in for the greater benefit.
I would tend to agree with you. Though I would never wish it on him, where ever he goes, I do wonder if he has already had his best years relatively early in his career. More than happy to keep him but 60 mill would go along way for us.
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by WhiteRose »

Rover wrote: ↑Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:32 pm If we get £50m+ then sell, he's not that good. Bielsa transformed a lot of our championship players but the spell he cast was disappearing. Before Bielsa Lewis Cook and Ronaldo-Vierra were considered to be better DM's. The problem is that we're relying upon Orta and Marsch to get the right replacement with less money. Orta has a success rate of 1/12 and Marsch only wants those players that previously bought him a nice christmas card.
Talk of Tyler Adams frightens me!
Better than 1/12, he is hit and miss and has brought in a lot of dross, mainly with gambles on youngsters but he has brought in to name a few, Bamford, llorente, janson, klich, alioski, saiz, struijk, raphinha, Harrison, meslier, Gelhardt, greenwood, Ben white(loan) + the new lads. We all like to have a go at him but need to give him credit sometimes.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by White Riot »

Same as Raphinha, can go to the highest bidder and I'm not bothered who that is as long as they pay top dollar 💲 :$$:

I'm more interested in players that want to commit themselves to Leeds United.

We need shot of a lot of dross too.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155290
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:22 am Same as Raphinha, can go to the highest bidder and I'm not bothered who that is as long as they pay top dollar 💲 :$$:

I'm more interested in players that want to commit themselves to Leeds United.

We need shot of a lot of dross too.
But it doesn't work like that, James

We'll lose our best players & end up retaining the dross, as other clubs won't be interested in our players with less ability.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14816
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by lufc1304 »

£50m plus that lad Zincenko (?) would work for me. As others have said, Kalvin hasn't been the same player this season, a combo of injuries and playing in a struggling team, plus there is some doubt as to whether or not he will be effective in a Marsch system. That said, I'd rather he stayed, ambitious clubs build teams around players like him and Raph, but we all know money talks. I think he'd thrive at City with so many great players around him and he wouldn't be carrying the team, either.

As a side note, is anyone else concerned that Marsch's sole focus, player wise, is on those he knows or has worked with before? This concerns me, as none have Prem experience. I think Aaronson, Kristensen and Roca (if he signs) are reasonable punts for not a huge outlay, but we need experienced top league players if we are to avoid a repeat of last season. Too many untested first teamers and I think we are taking a huge risk.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14816
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by lufc1304 »

As for the deadwood, cut our losses and get them off the books
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Mountain »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:47 pm Murderous regimes from their owners I suspect.
Yep, if Phillips goes to Man City or Newcastle his primary role is to distract from the genocides and human rights abuses by the owners, and to repair their image. It's not because some guy in the UAE loved Man City, or even because he wants to make money, it's because rehabilitating the image of the UAE is worth billions to them.
Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Overman »

Mountain wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:34 am Yep, if Phillips goes to Man City or Newcastle his primary role is to distract from the genocides and human rights abuses by the owners, and to repair their image. It's not because some guy in the UAE loved Man City, or even because he wants to make money, it's because rehabilitating the image of the UAE is worth billions to them.
Yep, and not to forget Radz infamous tour of Myanmar. There really isn't any integrity or ethics in the game, chasing the big bucks.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:06 am As a side note, is anyone else concerned that Marsch's sole focus, player wise, is on those he knows or has worked with before? This concerns me, as none have Prem experience. I think Aaronson, Kristensen and Roca (if he signs) are reasonable punts for not a huge outlay, but we need experienced top league players if we are to avoid a repeat of last season. Too many untested first teamers and I think we are taking a huge risk.
Although it could be said that in our first season back we probably only had Bamford (and the injured Forshaw) that had played in the Premier League previously - and Bamford's appearances were mainly as a sub and he'd not set the world alight. The only other players with top flight appearances (in other countries) were Koch, Llorente, Rodrigo and Raphinha. The first 3 were mainly injured so the only player with top league experience to play a full part was Raphinha.

Not arguing with you though as I do feel we need players that are good and hit the ground running rather than taking time to adapt/settle.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Kennyb41 »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:06 am £50m plus that lad Zincenko (?) would work for me. As others have said, Kalvin hasn't been the same player this season, a combo of injuries and playing in a struggling team, plus there is some doubt as to whether or not he will be effective in a Marsch system. That said, I'd rather he stayed, ambitious clubs build teams around players like him and Raph, but we all know money talks. I think he'd thrive at City with so many great players around him and he wouldn't be carrying the team, either.

As a side note, is anyone else concerned that Marsch's sole focus, player wise, is on those he knows or has worked with before? This concerns me, as none have Prem experience. I think Aaronson, Kristensen and Roca (if he signs) are reasonable punts for not a huge outlay, but we need experienced top league players if we are to avoid a repeat of last season. Too many untested first teamers and I think we are taking a huge risk.
I like the sound of this best, but wages innit.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8784
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Chilli D »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:06 am £50m plus that lad Zincenko (?) would work for me. As others have said, Kalvin hasn't been the same player this season, a combo of injuries and playing in a struggling team, plus there is some doubt as to whether or not he will be effective in a Marsch system. That said, I'd rather he stayed, ambitious clubs build teams around players like him and Raph, but we all know money talks. I think he'd thrive at City with so many great players around him and he wouldn't be carrying the team, either.

As a side note, is anyone else concerned that Marsch's sole focus, player wise, is on those he knows or has worked with before? This concerns me, as none have Prem experience. I think Aaronson, Kristensen and Roca (if he signs) are reasonable punts for not a huge outlay, but we need experienced top league players if we are to avoid a repeat of last season. Too many untested first teamers and I think we are taking a huge risk.
Interesting that Zinchenko plays LWB for Man City but CM for Ukraine. Obviously versatile so would be an excellent signing for us but he won't be coming.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155290
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:06 am £50m plus that lad Zincenko (?) would work for me. As others have said, Kalvin hasn't been the same player this season, a combo of injuries and playing in a struggling team, plus there is some doubt as to whether or not he will be effective in a Marsch system. That said, I'd rather he stayed, ambitious clubs build teams around players like him and Raph, but we all know money talks. I think he'd thrive at City with so many great players around him and he wouldn't be carrying the team, either.

As a side note, is anyone else concerned that Marsch's sole focus, player wise, is on those he knows or has worked with before? This concerns me, as none have Prem experience. I think Aaronson, Kristensen and Roca (if he signs) are reasonable punts for not a huge outlay, but we need experienced top league players if we are to avoid a repeat of last season. Too many untested first teamers and I think we are taking a huge risk.
Zinchenko is by far a different class than we have now, can't see it happening though, Nick.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155290
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by 1964white »

If Kalvin leaves our club, anyone given any thought how poor our win ratio is when he doesn't play?
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:50 am If Kalvin leaves our club, anyone given any thought how poor our win ratio is when he doesn't play?
Berts gone 64, all irrelevant now you can't compare correctly, he's a bob standard MF without Bert.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:50 am If Kalvin leaves our club, anyone given any thought how poor our win ratio is when he doesn't play?
The difference would be that with the funds we should be able to get someone closer ability/importance wise than we had to step in when KP was out previously. We should no longer have to push a defender into the role or Forshaw.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Any player who is not happy let them go they are no use to us.Lets face it he will not get a regular place in the City as he is not good enough he will be a bit player.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14816
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:34 am Although it could be said that in our first season back we probably only had Bamford (and the injured Forshaw) that had played in the Premier League previously - and Bamford's appearances were mainly as a sub and he'd not set the world alight. The only other players with top flight appearances (in other countries) were Koch, Llorente, Rodrigo and Raphinha. The first 3 were mainly injured so the only player with top league experience to play a full part was Raphinha.

Not arguing with you though as I do feel we need players that are good and hit the ground running rather than taking time to adapt/settle.
All good points, weasel. I think the difference in the upcoming season is that it feels like a risk to have an untried manager managing a side with relatively little top league experience. That's not a dig at Marsch, but it would feel a little like the blind leading the blind. It could work, of course, but I think we all had our fingers burnt last season and we really cannot afford to start as badly. I'm the first to admit I've not much idea about other top flight squads of players but there has to be some who would improve us and are available.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14816
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by lufc1304 »

Kenny, Chilli and Leon, point taken re Zinchenko but it's nice to dream!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Lufcste
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 pm

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Lufcste »

What's everyone's opinion on the whole 40-50million pound thing?.... is it good business all things considered or should it be more? I'm personally on the fence... I'm looking at Rice, if he's valued at 100mill than I don't get why Phillips is valued at half of that. Grealish (I know different type of player) but Villa stood their ground because he was a valuable asset to them. Should Radz be standing his ground too or?....
ALL LEEDS AREN'T WEEEEEEEE
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 25, 2022 9:32 am

Re: Kalvin Phillips.

Post by Rover »

Lufcste wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:12 pm What's everyone's opinion on the whole 40-50million pound thing?.... is it good business all things considered or should it be more? I'm personally on the fence... I'm looking at Rice, if he's valued at 100mill than I don't get why Phillips is valued at half of that. Grealish (I know different type of player) but Villa stood their ground because he was a valuable asset to them. Should Radz be standing his ground too or?....
Got to remember this is all media speculation; the same media that said Raph would go for £35m. The club's plan was to sell the best assets at the best price and they seem to have stuck their heels in regarding Barca; so I don't see why they would let KP go on the cheap especially if PSG are competing for him.
Post Reply