The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th June) - Kalvin Phillips 'wants Manchester City transfer'

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th June) - Kalvin Phillips 'wants Manchester City transfer'

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:06 pm Would prefer to see Bamford in rather than Minamino. Bamford should be fully fit for the start of the season given that he was supposedly available if needed v Brentford or close to being ready.

Would also start Cooper instead of Koch at this point in time as we have yet to really see much of Koch playing central defence. Koch though should be pushing to be the starter.

And would likely also start Dan James in place of Gelhardt. I think James playing through the centre but with an out and out striker is probably the role Bielsa envisioned for him.
I forgot about Dan James :shock: :lol:

That is one massive bench. Some big decisions need to be made.

OMG, I forgot about Tyler Roberts too...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th June) - Kalvin Phillips 'wants Manchester City transfer'

Post by Kennyb41 »

And for easy typing it will be the 'wingit' style, although i do like 'Yankball'
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

DavidH wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am It worries me when you see the likes of Phillips apparently voicing his preference for Man City, and Rhaphinha setting his heart on Barcelona, as it limits the interest from other teams, and therefore the possibility of a bidding war. Though Kewell was (and remains), one of my favourite Leeds United players on the pitch, his stated aim of joining Liverpool, was instrumental in him being sold on for so little.
There was a lot more to the Kewell transfer than meets the eye. His agent BERNIE MANDIC was not licenced, so he became Kewell's Commercial Manager and insisted that his brother NIKOLA MANDIC was actually the agent, even though (apparantly) he had not been involved at all in transfer negotiations!

Leeds rage at Kewell over cut-price move

Yorkshire club receives only £3m from £7m transfer

The Leeds chairman John McKenzie last night launched a scathing attack on Harry Kewell, effectively accusing the Australian and his agent Bernie Mandic of pocketing up to £4m in order to smooth a transfer to Liverpool.

Leeds will earn only £3m from the deal, which was completed yesterday, on a player rated at nearer £40m only three years ago.

The return has left McKenzie "outraged". He accused Kewell and Mandic of forcing Leeds' hand by threatening to walk away for nothing next summer, and of earning more from the transfer than the club which had developed the 24-year-old's talents.

"I have it in writing that, if we didn't settle for these terms, Harry intended to leave under the Bosman ruling next summer," said McKenzie, aware that the former Leeds midfielder Lee Bowyer's value shrunk from £9m last summer to only £100,000 in January after he refused to sign a new contract at Elland Road.

"There were clubs willing to pay more than the £5m Liverpool offered. Mr Mandic has listed them - Barcelona, Manchester United, Milan, Chelsea - but it was made clear to me that the player was not prepared to go, and, if we did not fall into line, he would leave for nothing. Harry sent me a message himself saying he'd sit out the season if we did not agree. So what could we do?"

He added: "I am angry and frustrated at the outrageous situation that has developed. Harry Kewell and his agent had been pressing us for a long while to give them 50% of any transfer fee or the player would leave for nothing next summer. With that in mind I agreed a deal of £7m last Friday with the Liverpool chief executive - with whose club Harry appears to have been illegally talking for six months - which Kewell and his agent refused to countenance.

"They were upset because, apparently, they didn't think they were getting as much money out of it as they had hoped, so they demanded that we reduce the fee paid by Liverpool to £5m with £2m of that to be paid to Mr Mandic. What happened to the remaining £2m from our original discussions I believe I know, but only Liverpool or Harry Kewell could tell you. Draw your own conclusions."

Liverpool last night insisted they were not guilty of any wrong-doing in the Kewell deal. "We were first approached regarding Harry Kewell on behalf of Leeds last January but were not in a position to take it any further," said a club spokesman. "Our recent negotiations with the player took place with the full knowledge of Leeds. Furthermore no deal was ever agreed at £7m with Leeds. It is crystal clear where the money has gone. We have agreed a transfer fee with Leeds and contract with Harry Kewell."

Mandic confirmed that the "missing" £2m was "money that Liverpool had that would be paid to Kewell" over the course of his contract. "This was not a money-driven decision," claimed the agent, whose client has signed a five-year deal worth around £17m. "People are forgetting that many players have left clubs on Bosman frees and Harry could have pocketed the entire £5m at other clubs." Mandic said the £2m from Leeds that was paid to his company Max Sport was a "success fee".

Kewell told Sky Sports last night: "I get my money from Liverpool and I let my agent get whatever he gets out of the deal." Whether for £5m or £7m, Liverpool have still captured a player of genuine class to delight their manager Gérard Houllier, who received confirmation of the signing yesterday while in London receiving an OBE. Kewell will be presented at a press conference this afternoon before departing with his team-mates for a training camp in Switzerland, leaving a smouldering sense of resentment behind him.

"Given Kewell's outburst on TV and his indication that he had been talking to Liverpool for six months, it would have been impossible for Harry to play for Leeds ever again," added McKenzie, who will hand a proportion of the £3m and the £2.5m saved in wages for the final 12 months of the Australian's contract, to the manager Peter Reid to add to his increasingly sparse squad.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am Oh and KP, first of all please accept my apologies by being miles in front yet again of the average Joe, but his value is depreciating as we speak, get more money from scum if possible coz he'll be shyte, but i hope for his sake it's Citeh, 50m and a player or 70m but anyway fcking hurry up and get it done now Berts gone.
I agree with you in your assessment that KP's value is depreciating. His injuries, his relatively poor form, for us and England and him not looking as good as he did for us when he was in a specific role leading to suggestions he is not as good in other midfield roles all will see his value diminish. If he goes to City though he will be fine, PG will know how to get the best of him. What KP needs is a move to City and Bielsa to become England manager.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:06 pm Would prefer to see Bamford in rather than Minamino. Bamford should be fully fit for the start of the season given that he was supposedly available if needed v Brentford or close to being ready.

Would also start Cooper instead of Koch at this point in time as we have yet to really see much of Koch playing central defence. Koch though should be pushing to be the starter.

And would likely also start Dan James in place of Gelhardt. I think James playing through the centre but with an out and out striker is probably the role Bielsa envisioned for him.
I also think if Raph and Kalvin aren't in the starting line up there will be new names to add. I do have a feeling Raph starts the season with us though and waits for his chance to go to Barca
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

La Liga maybe looking to get sanctions or something against City and PSG. I mean pot kettle black but I have no love two of sports most ethically challenged teams so have at it La Liga and good luck
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

As it stands the probable line up v Wolves. IMO

GK - Ilan Meslier
RWB - Rasmus Kristensen
LWB - Junior Firpo
RCB - Diego Llorente
LCB - Liam Cooper
DMF - Kalvin Phillips
DMF - Marc Roca
AMF - Raphinha
AMF - Brandon Aaronson
FOR - Patrick Bamford
FOR - Joe Gelhardt

Second string

GK - Kiko Casilla
RWB - Luke Ayling
LWB - Leo Hjelde
RCB - Robin Koch
LCB - Charlie Cresswell
DMF - Adam Forshaw
DMF - Jamie Shackleton
AMF - Sam Greenwood
AMF - Jack Harrison
FOR - Dan James
FOR - Rodrigo
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:33 pm I agree with you in your assessment that KP's value is depreciating. His injuries, his relatively poor form, for us and England and him not looking as good as he did for us when he was in a specific role leading to suggestions he is not as good in other midfield roles all will see his value diminish. If he goes to City though he will be fine, PG will know how to get the best of him. What KP needs is a move to City and Bielsa to become England manager.
Oooo er missus you've just hit my G spot
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:16 pm Oooo er missus you've just hit my G spot
Not your Kenny G spot .... !!!!!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The very same Faaip

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well that blows
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I'm in the send CC out on loan camp. To take him from the under 23's and throw him in on a regular basis in the PL could do the lad more harm than good. A full season somewhere decent on loan will hopefully answer any lingering doubts.

Kalvin always performed well when he was dictating play under Bielsa and he will certainly be doing that at Citeh as they control the ball in every game. I am convinced Rodrigo may even look good at Citeh for a game or two.

Another possible American signing Marsch must be planning a long stay...
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:44 am How would you feel if we set up like this v Wolves in August?

---------------------------MESLIER---------------------------
KRISTENSEN-----LLORENTE------KOCH-----FIRPO
-------------------ROCA------ADAMS-----------------------
----ARRONSON------------------------HARRISON------
------------------GELHARDT--MINAMINO----------------

Subs from:

Casilla
I hope Roca & Adams can tackle because we know the other 5 can't. I'm including Firpo in the 5.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Get rid ASAP if he wants away. The money is needed for a good attacking midfielder and a forward. The sooner the better.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

DavidH wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 am It worries me when you see the likes of Phillips apparently voicing his preference for Man City, and Rhaphinha setting his heart on Barcelona, as it limits the interest from other teams, and therefore the possibility of a bidding war. Though Kewell was (and remains), one of my favourite Leeds United players on the pitch, his stated aim of joining Liverpool, was instrumental in him being sold on for so little.
So we should keep 'em just like Levy kept Kane
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:03 pm So we should keep 'em just like Levy kept Kane
Kane was one year into a 5 year contract. Spurs held all the Ace’s.

Quite a few subscribe to the suggestion KP is overrated ? For me - that is just petty. He was voted England’s player of the year not that long ago and he wasn’t playing his supposed natural DM role consistently. Last season was underwhelming for him because of injury and the team was a cluster. He wants to win things and he probably wants to stay fairly local based on everything I have read about him. City are in that sense perfect for him. Perhaps 50-60 million ?
The kid Palmer would be a good part ex option.

Seeing a line up with Firpo at LB fills me with dread. I honestly believe that we will get another LB in. I would rather have Firpo as cover if he is staying.

If CC goes out on loan - which is probably the likeliest outcome - I would prefer to see him go to Swansea. They play proper football and they will be challenging around the top 6 next season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:39 am I think the best solution re Cresswell is to send him out on loan. If we can send him to a championship club that will guarantee him minutes then that is the best option - didn't do Ben White any harm to go out on loan to a championship club. We don't know what we have with Cresswell, lots of players have looked good at U23s or U18s and we have been clamouring for them to be given a chance but then suddenly have been released or been sold, for a pittance. Him playing for the England U21s is not even an indicator of whether he is any good, the England goalkeeper for example is a player that has been in and out of the Stoke team.

Let him go out and play proper football and see if he is as good as some think. If he is then, like Ben White, he can go out and have a good season then come back and get into our first team.
People always bring up Ben White, but he was playing under Bielsa, not hoofball under Heckaday. I couldn't think of a worse manager to send him to. We should sell Llorente and keep CC.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I can't see a Leeds 'fan' putting in a transfer request tbh, but money talks these days... 🤔
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I'm slowly coming round to letting KP go, as long as it's the right deal for us. Something like 50mill plus Lavia and Palmer, or 70 mill in a straight deal. I think we can find adequate replacements, However, we need an adequate replacement already oven-ready so we're not shafted by other clubs knowing we have 70mill burning a hole in our pocket.

Charlie: so much potential with him and a loan to Championship sounds about the right thing, again as long as it is somewhere that plays him. We need a recall clause in case of injuries, and no loan to buy option included.

Most of all, we need to sort out what we are doing with some of our bit-parters like Roberts, Shackleton, etc. I know we need more strength in depth but I think we can say goodbye to these and bring in decent replacements if we sell KP (and/or Raph). Plus we have some good players like Summerville coming through.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Evening all.

If KP doesn't sell this summer he will depreciate in value due to his contract length and for that reason I feel we should cash in.

Best wish him well and hope that Orta and Co can sell him for good coin, £50M seems on the low side for me but without any other suitors it will be a take it or leave it situation.

Cresswell did okish last season. ( though his best moment was his mistimed interception which led to Jimenez dismissal at Wolves and the subsequent carnage that ensued )

I like my one of my CBs to be big and strong and he definitely looks decent. Next season he may not start every game but if he doesn't go out on loan then perhaps the five subs rule will allow Jesse to give him more minutes.
With Coops, Koch, Llorente, Struijk and Hjelde all in the mix we look in decent shape in the middle. Though Hjelde may be loan ready..
Though if CC wants game time he is talking to the wrong man in Orta.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa