MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9-

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Pick 1

Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Lenny Bruce
21%
Spike Milligan
37%
Harry Hill
11%
Jeremy Hardy
21%
Jim Carrey
11%

Total votes: 19

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9-

Post by Cjay »

Lenny Bruce

Spike Milligan

Harry Hill
Jeremy Hardy

Jim Carrey
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9

Post by The Subhuman »

Jeremy Hardy for me, one yr younger and lived about 200 yards away from me... "Where the streets are paved in Axminister carpet"
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Spike was very funny. Hard to choose as I hardly know 2 of these. I still chose Spike...
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Spike Milligan all day for me.
Btw ,I'm voting before I look at anyones else's nominations, hopefully everyone else is.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Not a fan of any of these, so not voted on this one
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jim Carrey.

A proper clown and just has funny bones.

Doesn't get the credit his stand up deserves.
Signed

King Cjay

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Lenny Bruce

Not only because he was very funny, but for they way he stood up for free speech and racial justice.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

One of the ones where one giant of comedy will have to go, Bruce or Milligan. I went for Bruce because of his role in shaping the modern stand up...but Spike was possibly funnier.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:25 am One of the ones where one giant of comedy will have to go, Bruce or Milligan. I went for Bruce because of his role in shaping the modern stand up...but Spike was possibly funnier.
Never really considered Spike a stand up, writer, poet, comic actor, member of a great team. I think it says a lot CJay used a "An Evening With" which is not really stand up. I think Cilla Black did one... Des O'Conner...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:43 am Never really considered Spike a stand up, writer, poet, comic actor, member of a great team. I think it says a lot CJay used a "An Evening With" which is not really stand up. I think Cilla Black did one... Des O'Conner...
I had wondered that myself, had never really thought of Milligan as a stand up so assumed I had just overlooked part of his work. Knew him really as a writer, actor and an excellent interviewee.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:50 am I had wondered that myself, had never really thought of Milligan as a stand up so assumed I had just overlooked part of his work. Knew him really as a writer, actor and an excellent interviewee.
Love Milligan, easily the most talented person on this list, I still quote his poetry. But I can't vote for him as a stand up. Two big misses on these lists for me are Woody Allen, personal opinions aside, would be in my top 5 all time. And the genius that is Tim Vine...
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:04 am Love Milligan, easily the most talented person on this list, I still quote his poetry. But I can't vote for him as a stand up. Two big misses on these lists for me are Woody Allen, personal opinions aside, would be in my top 5 all time. And the genius that is Tim Vine...
Woody Allen was a great stand-up. He once said he was thrown out of New York University for cheating on his metaphysics exam. "I got caught looking into the soul of the boy sitting next to me," said Woody.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 pm Woody Allen was a great stand-up. He once said he was thrown out of New York University for cheating on his metaphysics exam. "I got caught looking into the soul of the boy sitting next to me," said Woody.
" I have this watch which I love... My grandfather on his death bed ......... sold me this watch!"

"When I was young my mum gave me a bullet
I put it in my breast pocket
A couple of years later a berserk Evangalist heaved a Gideon bible out a hotel room window, hitting me in the chest
That bible would have gone through my heart if it wasn't for the bullet"

It's not just the lines it's the stop start delivery and the emphasis placed on the endings of words that make the joke

This is also genius
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Milligan was someone I nearly removed as I wasn't sure whether he was a stand up.

But I thought the evening with was a sort of stand up performance so i let it slide.

Just assumed there wasn't any recordings of his other stand up stuff

Was before my time though.

Was I wrong to allow him? :verysad:

If people who know are saying he wasn't I will remove him from the poll
Signed

King Cjay

Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9- SPIKE MILLIGAN QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO KNOW PLEASE

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

He was as much a stand up as anyone else though is not known for it. He was from the 'music hall' era so didn't need to do stand upo. I hope you keep him in because I voted for him as he is the funniest by far and he is doing stand up...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9- SPIKE MILLIGAN QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO KNOW PLEASE

Post by The Subhuman »

Needs to be kept in now... Was a musical comedy performer in his early days, usually working in an act, as Victor says in music halls, quickly moved to radio. But not a stand up in the true sense of the word for me.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Leave him in then I guess
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic Round 9-

Post by Cjay »

A final bump
Signed

King Cjay

Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:58 pm Not a fan of any of these, so not voted on this one
SpIke for me , certainly agree on not being a fan of Jim Carrey , one trick pony in that he pulls silly faces......and that is it . I won't watch any film that has him in it..... simply not funny one little bit .
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 pm Woody Allen was a great stand-up. He once said he was thrown out of New York University for cheating on his metaphysics exam. "I got caught looking into the soul of the boy sitting next to me," said Woody.
Yeah, Woody Allen was one that got away.

And Emo Phillips was pretty big back in the day.

And Larry David. Better known as a writer and actor, but his stand up is great. And edgy. I love the delivery, just his thoughts on the most random topics, Quasimodo dating, sexual predators and being Jewish, and dating in concentration camps...