General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Azkal wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:06 pm Didn't notice the post related to your good lady AF. As with the long list of patients on here at the moment, wishing her a speedy recovery back to full health.
Ditto AF....hope your good lady gets well soon :)
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: General Chat

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:47 am My mother in law has 100 yard drive, lined both sides for the most part in Leylandii they first planted in the early seventies. The husband was very anti social and at one point they were over 25 foot high, I took 10-12 foot off the top, balancing on ladders while wielding a chain saw, about 15 years ago and now I keep them to around 12-14 foot by the yearly trim. Probably the most physical job I've ever had to do and at 60 takes me around a week or two with knee and shoulder issues not forgetting the weather. Temperature was 30 yesterday and I was in full sun, managed 5 hours... today it's raining, Tuesday had to wait for a package that never arrived.... so not a great working week

Not a pro gardener but know what I'm doing for the most part, I am a tradesman though
Hard work, mate.

Jill is an excellent hedge-cutter :tup:
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Gandalf wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:35 pm Scary Swannie. Best wishes to Lee. I hadn't heard of his disorder before.
Thanks Gandalf. I hadn't heard of it before either. Seems it can happen to anyone, just needs a trigger.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: General Chat

Post by 1964white »

AylingFlop wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:20 am She’s progressing nicely thank you Jay. The amount of moaning at me has increased so it’s a sign that she’s on the mend.
I had the same thoughts about Jill after her operation in late February, by March she was in full swing :lol:

Glad to hear Mrs is recovering well :tup:
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:47 am My mother in law has 100 yard drive, lined both sides for the most part in Leylandii they first planted in the early seventies. The husband was very anti social and at one point they were over 25 foot high, I took 10-12 foot off the top, balancing on ladders while wielding a chain saw, about 15 years ago and now I keep them to around 12-14 foot by the yearly trim. Probably the most physical job I've ever had to do and at 60 takes me around a week or two with knee and shoulder issues not forgetting the weather. Temperature was 30 yesterday and I was in full sun, managed 5 hours... today it's raining, Tuesday had to wait for a package that never arrived.... so not a great working week

Not a pro gardener but know what I'm doing for the most part, I am a tradesman though
The other half is a tree surgeon faaip. He used to climb up the middle of said hedges (roped in ), we also had a variable platform which was brilliant to able us to cut the tops say of a very wide hedge...mind you, he gave up messing with hedges a few years ago..all a bit tedious. He'd rather be 40 ft up an oak tree :)
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: General Chat

Post by Byebyegeegee »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:47 am My mother in law has 100 yard drive,
100 yard drive! Where does she live faaip, in a mansion? I thought our garden was big (about an acre) but a 100 yard drive - that must be some country pile!

Cutting hedges is one of my least favourite things to do in the garden, mixed hedges on 3 sides, a lot of yew hedges (5ft high x up to 5ft wide) in the garden itself, a box hedge around 2 sides of the veg garden and various bits of topiary to boot. My hedge trimmer does get a lot of use!
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79119
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: General Chat

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:33 pm 100 yard drive! Where does she live faaip, in a mansion? I thought our garden was big (about an acre) but a 100 yard drive - that must be some country pile!

Cutting hedges is one of my least favourite things to do in the garden, mixed hedges on 3 sides, a lot of yew hedges (5ft high x up to 5ft wide) in the garden itself, a box hedge around 2 sides of the veg garden and various bits of topiary to boot. My hedge trimmer does get a lot of use!
Large 3 bed detached bungalow, just over a third of an acre including the 100 yard drive, there's a bend half way down so there's around 30 yards of hedge behind me (the last 20 yards to the road doesn't have hedge as the drive comes down between two houses,) and the left hand hedge goes right past the house and onto the back fence which is an extra 35 plus yards. Most of the land is in the side and back garden
Attachments
P8250160.JPG
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

A lot of bungalows I’ve worked at have slightly unbalanced gardens. So often massive front gardens which aren’t always a lot of use.
That’s a magnificent hedge, fabulous for birds.
We have 2 hedge boundaries front & back and I’d never get rid although the neighbours probably want me to.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18337
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: General Chat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:01 pm Hard work, mate.

Jill is an excellent hedge-cutter :tup:
The lady from the house a few downs from us is always out the front with the hedge cutter and/or shears. Her frontage displays a very tidy and well maintained bush (and hedge) :)
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:31 pm The lady from the house a few downs from us is always out the front with the hedge cutter and/or shears. Her frontage displays a very tidy and well maintained bush (and hedge) :)
A bush joke was an absolute certainty :) I thought perhaps from someone else though :duno:
I had a customer once (she was American so imagine that accent) who rang up and my wife answered the phone as I was at work. “Oh my god can your husband come round with his sword, the bushes have got so big”.
Sword = hedgetrimmer (not c**k).
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18337
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: General Chat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:37 pm A bush joke was an absolute certainty :) I thought perhaps from someone else though :duno:
I had a customer once (she was American so imagine that accent) who rang up and my wife answered the phone as I was at work. “Oh my god can your husband come round with his sword, the bushes have got so big”.
Sword = hedgetrimmer (not c**k).
Obvious I know, but in this case it is true :-D
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18337
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: General Chat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:37 pm A bush joke was an absolute certainty :) I thought perhaps from someone else though :duno:
I had a customer once (she was American so imagine that accent) who rang up and my wife answered the phone as I was at work. “Oh my god can your husband come round with his sword, the bushes have got so big”.
Sword = hedgetrimmer (not c**k).
So, Foxy - were you/are you a 'swordsman of repute'.......as they say ????
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 9:34 am
Location: West Sussex

Re: General Chat

Post by AylingFlop »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 pm I had the same thoughts about Jill after her operation in late February, by March she was in full swing :lol:

Glad to hear Mrs is recovering well :tup:
Thank you 64; Azkal & Swannie for your kind thoughts
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm So, Foxy - were you/are you a 'swordsman of repute'.......as they say ????
I was the D’ Artagnan of Suffolk but I’ve hung up my sword Cat. I only trim the bush at home now :)
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

Possibly the funniest one was whilst fixing down about 50 deck boards.
“You must be shattered”
“Yes I am quite tired”
“Not surprised, you’ve been screwing all day”
:lol:
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:36 pm That sounds really distressing, especially when you don't know what's happening, and can't seem to access adequate help. Hopefully it resolves itself soon!
Thanks Sara, yes, very distressing for both of us, especially the A&E wait but Lee is improving steadily which is the main thing.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:51 am Bloody hell this sounds scary Swan, but light at the end with expected full recovery, good luck.
Cheers Kenny, we're on our way to recovery :)
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Azkal wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:06 am My goodness, seems everyone is falling to pieces at the moment. Wishing your hubby a swift recovery Swannie, it cant have been easy for you, especially in addition to the consistent efforts and support you put in with your folks down in Wakey.
Thanks Askal, I couldn't leave hubby for 10 weeks so didn't see my folks during that time. I've nowbeen up to Wakey twice since I've been able to leave Lee with fantastic friends rallying round him....hope to get back to Wakey in a few weeks time again.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18337
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: General Chat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:54 pm Large 3 bed detached bungalow, just over a third of an acre including the 100 yard drive, there's a bend half way down so there's around 30 yards of hedge behind me (the last 20 yards to the road doesn't have hedge as the drive comes down between two houses,) and the left hand hedge goes right past the house and onto the back fence which is an extra 35 plus yards. Most of the land is in the side and back garden
Not dreaded 'back land development' :shock:
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20763
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: General Chat

Post by whiteswan »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:37 am My 64, i suggest for you both for the time being, leave the handcuffs etc locked in the bedside cabinet for now. Same for you Swannie.
:rol:
Post Reply