The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st Oct)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st Oct)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds have lost their top spot in the Championship. We all know its going to be a long hard season but would you expect the Whites to knock West Brom off top spot or are the Baggies better equipped to retain top spot?

Klich came to Leeds rescue once more as the Whites came from behind to share the spoils at Hillsborough.

Its fair to say that Leeds dominated the game, but were undone by an extraordinary goal from Adam Reach.

Great goal or fluke?

We have not won since the Preston game.

Which of the team, if any would you change for the Hull match on Tuesday night?

Leeds legend Noel Whelan has been speaking to Yorkshire Radio about how much the Whites are missing their play maker...

"Hernandez is Premier League quality. He can change games," he told BBC Radio Leeds.

"The only frustration for him at times is that a lot of people are a step behind him. They are not on the same wave-length because he thinks so quickly and he wants the players to be up with him the way he thinks. That's why he's played in the Premier League."

Seven games without a goal, 15, if you count all the European games. Of course I'm talking about Chris Wood's form this season!

Did we sell Wood at the right time?

If we had the opportunity to re sign him for 15m, would you?
rab_rant

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st Oct)

Post by rab_rant »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 am Klich came to Leeds rescue once more as the Whites came from behind to share the spoils at Hillsborough.
Its fair to say that Leeds dominated the game, but were undone by an extraordinary goal from Adam Reach.
Great goal or fluke?
It was the flukest of flukey goals, hit on the volley from outside the box.
Hit high and looping in the air. BPF eyes the ball and it is soaring way
above his head, he thinks that is going out, and so does everybody else.

The ball has an epileptic fit and goes all spastic and writhes in the air.
Reach is turning away disappointed from his loopy looping kick, but like
a out of control meth-head the ball careers drunkenly into the goal-post
and instead of behaving itself and bouncing into play, it zips along the goal-line
and squeaks into the back of the net.

BPF does his Victor Meldrew impersonation, mouth open eyes agog,
and thinks to himself "I don't believe it"

Reach looks on in complete puzzlement and is utterly confused, and after
a few moment of hesitation comes the the realisation that what he should do
next is celebrate.

A fluke that no doubt will be given the goal of the month by the least discerning.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 am Leeds have lost their top spot in the Championship. We all know its going to be a long hard season but would you expect the Whites to knock West Brom off top spot or are the Baggies better equipped to retain top spot?
Good morning Matt & everyone

The Baggies are hard to judge as I haven't seen them play yet, only watched some highlights, they are certainly the in form team atm winning their last four matches & unbeaten in six games.

Also scoring goals for fun although 7 of their 25 goals came in their 7-1 defeat over QPR, their defence is a bit leaky even they spent £13m signing keeper Sam Johnstone & CB Kyle Bartley.
WBA look strong in midfield & with the likes of Barry, Livermore, Gibbs plus the three forwards Rodriguez, Phillips & Gayle who have scored 17 goals between them
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We all know we are missing Pablo Hernandez

Same team v the codheads for me
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 am It was the flukest of flukey goals, hit on the volley from outside the box.

and instead of behaving itself and bouncing into play, it zips along the goal-line

next is celebrate.

A fluke that no doubt will be given the goal of the month by the least discerning.
Thought the ball was heading into our stand, it dipped like a missile
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I don't agree with rab_rant's response even though I expect it is a bit tongue in cheek.
Reach had a shot and it went in without the aid of a deflection so how can it be a fluke?
Admittedly it dipped weirdly but if one of our players had of scored it we would be saying what an amazing goal it was.
No fault attributed to BPF, no keeper in the world would have saved it.

I'm sure it will be 'as you were' against Hull. I'm not sure you could leave anyone after Friday's performance. Jack Clarke in for Alioski maybe?

I think pound for pound, West Brom have a stronger squad but they look suspect at the back despite their summer spending.
It will be a hell of a game when we play them, that's for sure.
I tip them to go straight back up (with us hopefully).

There's no denying we do miss Pablo so you can understand Noel Whelan's comments.
As I've said previously, having Pablo back will take some of the pressure of Saiz to produce the goods.

I would definitely have Wood back if he became available but not for 15m. I think Burnley paid way over the top for him.
He did well in the Prem last year but obviously he's hit a drought this season as most forwards do at some point in their career.
I think I cursed him by putting him in my Sun Dream Team! He has since been transferred out....

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:36 am It was the flukest of flukey goals, hit on the volley from outside the box.

next is celebrate.

Absolutely Brilliant Rab . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Morning btw
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 am Good morning Matt & everyone

The Baggies are hard to judge as I haven't seen them play yet, only watched some highlights, they are certainly the in form team atm winning their last four matches & unbeaten in six games.

Also scoring goals for fun although 7 of their 25 goals came in their 7-1 defeat over QPR, their defence is a bit leaky even they spent £13m signing keeper Sam Johnstone & CB Kyle Bartley.
WBA look strong in midfield & with the likes of Barry, Livermore, Gibbs plus the three forwards Rodriguez, Phillips & Gayle who have scored 17 goals between them
Morning Leon, its the strength in depth WBA have!!!

Yes, has to be the same team
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am I don't agree with rab_rant's response even though I expect it is a bit tongue in cheek.
Reach had a shot and it went in without the aid of a deflection so how can it be a fluke?
Admittedly it dipped weirdly but if one of our players had of scored it we would be saying what an amazing goal it was.
No fault attributed to BPF, no keeper in the world would have saved it.

I'm sure it will be 'as you were' against Hull. I'm not sure you could leave anyone after Friday's performance. Jack Clarke in for Alioski maybe?

I think pound for pound, West Brom have a stronger squad but they look suspect at the back despite their summer spending.
It will be a hell of a game when we play them, that's for sure.
I tip them to go straight back up (with us hopefully).

There's no denying we do miss Pablo so you can understand Noel Whelan's comments.
As I've said previously, having Pablo back will take some of the pressure of Saiz to produce the goods.

I would definitely have Wood back if he became available but not for 15m. I think Burnley paid way over the top for him.
He did well in the Prem last year but obviously he's hit a drought this season as most forwards do at some point in their career.
I think I cursed him by putting him in my Sun Dream Team! He has since been transferred out....

Chilli
Morning Chilli D, interesting point.

I suppose the ball would not have gone in, if it wasn't for the post and the upright though????
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 am I don't agree with rab_rant's response even though I expect it is a bit tongue in cheek.
If it had gone cleanly in then it would have been a wonder goal.
But first of all it went high and wide, then it dipped freakishly.
If that was not enough it hits the post, trundles along the goal-line
as if trying to make up its mind, hits the other post and then decided...
Oh well I might as well go over the line and into the back of the net.

It was freakish, and nobody will convince me that Reach planned it
... go for the goalpost with enough spin on it to make the ball go along
the goal line and then into the net. It was too random to be anything other
than a fluke.

As Reach runs away to celebrate he clasps his hand over his mouth cos he
himself can't believe what has just happened... regardless of the gushing
commentators.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Morning all.

You could see by Reach's reaction that he didn't mean it. Obviously sky are declaring it the goal of the century and how he meant it. I though Klich's was better given the curl on it.

It's hard to gauge West Brom atm. I saw them v Birmingham and Boro and they were poor in both. They've mostly played the bottom teams so far, so the games they're expected to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see the wendies beat them.

Chris Wood. I wouldn't have him back. He wouldn't fit Bielsa's style of play and isn't mobile enough. Certainly wouldn't pay £15m either!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am If it had gone cleanly in then it would have been a wonder goal.
But first of all it went high and wide, then it dipped freakishly.
If that was not enough it hits the post, trundles along the goal-line
as if trying to make up its mind, hits the other post and then decided...
Oh well I might as well go over the line and into the back of the net.

It was freakish, and nobody will convince me that Reach planned it
... go for the goalpost with enough spin on it to make the ball go along
the goal line and then into the net. It was too random to be anything other
than a fluke.

As Reach runs away to celebrate he clasps his hand over his mouth cos he
himself can't believe what has just happened... regardless of the gushing
commentators.
Freakish yes, a fluke no.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

SG90 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:49 am Morning all.

You could see by Reach's reaction that he didn't mean it. Obviously sky are declaring it the goal of the century and how he meant it. I though Klich's was better given the curl on it.

It's hard to gauge West Brom atm. I saw them v Birmingham and Boro and they were poor in both. They've mostly played the bottom teams so far, so the games they're expected to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see the wendies beat them.

Chris Wood. I wouldn't have him back. He wouldn't fit Bielsa's style of play and isn't mobile enough. Certainly wouldn't pay £15m either!
What? Are you saying by volleying the ball goalwards he didn't mean to score?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Reach himself said that he only hit it because there were no other options to pass. He also said that he expected it to go out of the stand. Give him the ball in the same place 100 times again and I would be surprised if he managed to score once. It is simply a hit and hope.

Hard to judge Wood as Burnley are not the sort of team to create many chances. Put Wood in Man City's team and you'd write him off if he didn't score in 7 matches but at Burnley a striker scoring double figures in a season would be a big achievement. Not sure he'd fit Bielsa's system or even if he could replicate the season he had for us before - as such £15m would be a huge gamble for us. Somebody like Gayle (currently at West Brom on loan from Newcastle) would probably be a better fit for the same type of fee.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No skill to it, half volley that sat nicely, not that well hit, had it been a Yeboah exocet then fair play. Klich's goal a far superior shot and yes if that were a Leeds player I would have said we fluked one. I already have about one of our goals this season. Freakish the very definition of fluke surely?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Fluke for sure....lthe balls nowadays are light enough to move like beachballs on a windy day. I thought BPF might have used his outstretched right arm to fingertip it.
His reaction said it was going wide
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains