Dan James

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dan James

Post by Cjay »

Tyzy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:29 pm Top strikers don't need place,Kane or Lineker for example or even our own leapy Lee
Pace can be very useful imo especially in attacking players.

But you have to have more.

Messi was no slouch in his prime.
Both Ronaldo's had pace in their prime
Mbappe is lightening fast.

But they had more about them than pace (extreme examples I know but they make the point).

Pace by itself as an attacking player isn't much use.

Pace with other skills is fantastic

Unfortunately James has pace and stamina which is great for a marathon runner but unfortunately not much use elsewhere.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dan James vs. Aston Villa:

22 touches
7/10 successful passes
6 penalty box touches
4 shots
3 shots on-target
2 goals :soccer: :soccer:
2 crosses
2 duels won
2/4 final third passes
1 woodwork shot
1 time fouled

Superb tonight and unlucky not to have had a hat-trick. :clap:

Screenshot 2022-02-10 06.53.33.png
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

How good was Dan last night?

Was that his best performance in a Leeds shirt?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very good v Spurs too and for me has looked a striker the last 3 games he's played in that position.. I said a while ago he reminds me of Michael Owen, obviously not as good as a striker yet but the more chances he gets the quicker he'll learn. No way we get better in the Jan window for less than 30M
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:59 am How good was Dan last night?

100% agree Leon, everyone in my football WhatsApp group were saying at the end of the game how brilliant he was, throughout the game loads of comments about how aggressive he was (Mings was terrified of him), how much he wanted it and how hungry was he to get that second goal against two defenders much bigger than him :clap: :clap: :clap:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ken Pow
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Ken Pow »

Just hope he doesn’t cop it from MB if he did refuse to be subbed off.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

James was a star against villa abosuletly brilliant. Couldn't have asked anymore from him, hope he continues this form till end of season he will give us a real cutting edge. If only raphinha would have performed the same I think we could have won that game. In fact without couti ho for villa we would have won. But James a star and so glad he didn't get replaced by Roberts.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Just the confidence booster he needed, a bit like Jacko’s hat trick. Ballsy too, just like we want our Leeds players to be. If he did refuse to come off, which he seemed to, he’s gone, we all know what happens when MB gets snubbed.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I’ve not been over enthused about him upfront but last night he was fantastic, he looked like he had managed to shrug off any doubts or anxieties and was playing with belief, determination and confidence - carries that on against Everton and they will struggle.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:59 am How good was Dan last night?

by far, Excellent performance.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Needs to prove it wasn't a one off
Never been a fan of his
But he was star quality last neet
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Already has proved it wasn't a one off
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:04 am Very good v Spurs too and for me has looked a striker the last 3 games he's played in that position.. I said a while ago he reminds me of Michael Owen, obviously not as good as a striker yet but the more chances he gets the quicker he'll learn. No way we get better in the Jan window for less than 30M
I see that too. Main difference at this point of his career is that Owen was presumably playing as a striker throughtout his youth career whereas James was probably playing as a winger. Maybe the people in charge of the Liverpool youth setup and judging where to play a player are better judges than the ones who shaped James's young career. Maybe Bielsa is also a better judge of players than many of us fans.

Interestingly though Owen was seen by many as not a good natural finisher, great pace poor finishing. Even Glenn Hoddle, one of the few pundits that really knows his stuff and the last England manager to actually win a trophy, said of Owen that he wasn't a natural finisher. Owen though became a much better finisher as his career went on despite his pace diminishing.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Orange Box wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:04 am Just the confidence booster he needed, a bit like Jacko’s hat trick. Ballsy too, just like we want our Leeds players to be. If he did refuse to come off, which he seemed to, he’s gone, we all know what happens when MB gets snubbed.
I'm presuming the number never went up on the substituion board that they use. I certainly never saw them showing that on the tv pictures. As such although Roberts looked ready to come on maybe it was more a case that they had him ready in case James wasn't able to carry on but he told them that he was okay.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:08 am I’ve not been over enthused about him upfront but last night he was fantastic, he looked like he had managed to shrug off any doubts or anxieties and was playing with belief, determination and confidence - carries that on against Everton and they will struggle.
Probably more just a case of him getting more familiar with the position, being taught which runs to make etc. Obviously getting an early goal then helps with the confidence.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:22 pm I see that too. Main difference at this point of his career is that Owen was presumably playing as a striker throughtout his youth career whereas James was probably playing as a winger. Maybe the people in charge of the Liverpool youth setup and judging where to play a player are better judges than the ones who shaped James's young career. Maybe Bielsa is also a better judge of players than many of us fans.

Interestingly though Owen was seen by many as not a good natural finisher, great pace poor finishing. Even Glenn Hoddle, one of the few pundits that really knows his stuff and the last England manager to actually win a trophy, said of Owen that he wasn't a natural finisher. Owen though became a much better finisher as his career went on despite his pace diminishing.
I always saw Owen as a natural finisher but not a predatory finisher like say a Lineker but if James played 38 games from the 9 he scores 15 plus most seasons..
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:25 pm I'm presuming the number never went up on the substituion board that they use. I certainly never saw them showing that on the tv pictures. As such although Roberts looked ready to come on maybe it was more a case that they had him ready in case James wasn't able to carry on but he told them that he was okay.
Hope your take on it is right, I too only saw what tv showed and your right, nothing definitive. Maybe I just picked up on what the commentators said, which as we all know is gospel. Hope nothing more
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We’ll know soon enough. Speculation is pointless atm. I certain he starts v Everton though
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:30 pm We’ll know soon enough. Speculation is pointless atm. I certain he starts v Everton though
Indeed it is. If the board had gone up then I am sure the cameras would have shown it as it would have been a huge story. So either the cameramen or the editors were shocking or the number never got shown. All we did see was Tyler looking like he was getting ready but then putting his bib back on.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Was excellent last night and hope he keeps it up. At the very worst, he keeps opposition defenders honest.

Should be an instant pick for Everton as they need points so cannot afford to sit back. I am sure they'll cause us issues when we're defending (like every team does) but they'll always have one eye on James counter attacking.