The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Its a busy day on the transfer front!

According to Phil Hay, Spurs will loan Jack Clarke back to Leeds later today as soon as the transfer completes!

Good news or not?

Jack Harrison is expected to sign on the dotted line today to seal his season long loan from Citeh?

Thoughts?

Brighton central defender Ben Clarke will also seal his season long loan with the Whites. The 21yo is due to take his medical this afternoon.

According to John Percy (the football writer for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph, and Midlands football correspondent), Leeds will complete the season long loan of Wolves Winger Helder Costa this week!

Are we sorted for wingers now?

It looks likely that Leeds target Luke Freeman will be joining Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Utd this Summer.

Thoughts?

Have the Managerial standards in the Championship dropped?

Slaven Bilic has taken over at West Brom.

Martin O'Neill has been sacked. Forest forced into action due to alleged mutiny from the squad over O’Neill’s methods.

As you know Jonathan Woodgate has taken the helm at Boro.

Pep Clotet is in temporary charge at St Andrews (Birmingham City).

Lee Bowyer will stay at Charlton.

Scott Parker has a couple of months experience of Management with Fulham

Can you think of another Championship Manager that you'd be happy to take the helm at Elland Road if Bielsa were to leave?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 1st July)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al

Good news about Clarke and Harrison

Ben White mate ;)

Never seen him, Costa or Freeman play.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning

I M pretty meh about Harrison and Clarke loans.

Clarke looked decent and Costa will excite the fans.
Have we enough wingers? I dunno, what do we expect from Pablo next season? Surely he needs rotated, have we cover there?

Pity about ONeill, I liked him as a player and manager but not as a pundit. Could he come to EL if and when MB leaves? ( I had him earmarked to leave by last November but his second season is the tricky one) Keep Oneill bookmarked folks!

Slaven Bilic is a star manager, he will light up the league methinks. Have standards dropped? Nope.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Evening Harry, good to see that we have plenty going on, on the 1st official transfer day..
gessa

Post by gessa »

Dislike loans, only time I find them acceptable is with a purchase option, which I believe Brighton won't do, so what's the point. If he does well, then it will only increase the value of the player for them.
Harrison was poor most of the season but did show signs of improvement at the end of the season, will have to trust Bielsa on this but have a gut feeling we may see an improved player this season.
If we get the Costa Wolves had in their promotion season, then we have a player on our hands.

Bilic is a manager I would have liked here, I think he will improve West Brom, the others have to prove themselves, even though Bowyer did a good job with Charlton.

I put O'Neill in the dinosaur realms of manager, like McCarthy, Pullis, etc, not moved on with the game and are a spent force nowadays.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:49 am Morning

I M pretty meh about Harrison and Clarke loans.

Clarke looked decent and Costa will excite the fans.
Have we enough wingers? I dunno, what do we expect from Pablo next season? Surely he needs rotated, have we cover there?

Pity about ONeill, I liked him as a player and manager but not as a pundit. Could he come to EL if and when MB leaves? ( I had him earmarked to leave by last November but his second season is the tricky one) Keep Oneill bookmarked folks!

Slaven Bilic is a star manager, he will light up the league methinks. Have standards dropped? Nope.
Morning Ian, Harrison got better as the season progressed. The delivery for Roofe in the second leg play off against Derby was one of the best deliveries of the season from anyone.

Some could say that O'Neills tactics are passed it?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am Dislike loans, only time I find them acceptable is with a purchase option, which I believe Brighton won't do, so what's the point. If he does well, then it will only increase the value of the player for them.
Harrison was poor most of the season but did show signs of improvement at the end of the season, will have to trust Bielsa on this but have a gut feeling we may see an improved player this season.
If we get the Costa Wolves had in their promotion season, then we have a player on our hands.

Bilic is a manager I would have liked here, I think he will improve West Brom, the others have to prove themselves, even though Bowyer did a good job with Charlton.

I put O'Neill in the dinosaur realms of manager, like McCarthy, Pullis, etc, not moved on with the game and are a spent force nowadays.
Morning Gessa, yes if (and when) we get Costa, that will be a right signing especially if he can kick start Douglas into real action.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am Dislike loans, only time I find them acceptable is with a purchase option, which I believe Brighton won't do, so what's the point. If he does well, then it will only increase the value of the player for them
Only option we have as Radz is claiming we have no money. If Ben White excels at Leeds we maybe in a position to afford him especially if we are promoted & the Seagulls are relegated.
gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am Harrison was poor most of the season but did show signs of improvement at the end of the season, will have to trust Bielsa on this but have a gut feeling we may see an improved player this season
I'm not Jack's biggest fan but like you we have to trust Bielsa's decision, he needs to step up to the plate on a more consistent basis, you never know Harrison could turn out to be a real star.
gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am If we get the Costa Wolves had in their promotion season, then we have a player on our hands
That's the key Ges, will Costa be the same player we witnessed two years ago?
gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am Bilic is a manager I would have liked here, I think he will improve West Brom
The baggies won't be hanging around for long with Bilic at the helm, class coach imo!
gessa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:04 am I put O'Neill in the dinosaur realms of manager, like McCarthy, Pullis, etc, not moved on with the game and are a spent force nowadays
Another journeyman past his sell-date :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 am Morning Ian, Harrison got better as the season progressed. The delivery for Roofe in the second leg play off against Derby was one of the best deliveries of the season from anyone.

Some could say that O'Neills tactics are passed it?
Morning EL. Harrisons pass was world class I admit that but we were on the break against Derby. The way teams sit back and deny us space make Harrison look devoid of ideas.
I am resigned to him returning and I will be the first to applaud him if he turns in good performances.

Re ONeill I know what you mean. I just feel he has one big management success left in him. Forest was always going to be tough for him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I have mixed feelings about Clarke returning on loan. Will his heart really be in it knowing we have moved him on and regardless of how he does this season, will be returning to Spurs next summer.
However, if he recaptured his pre-illness form all well and good.

I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about the return of Harrison but again I'll be quite happy for him to prove me wrong.
Assuming Douglas regains the LB spot that will leave Harrison and Alioski competing for the position in front of him?

Helder Costa on the other hand could be a stellar signing IF he can get his early form for Wolves back. If both him and Clarke are in it we could terrorise defences.

If Ben White is as good as we all hope, I think Cooper's days are numbered in the starting eleven.

Shame about missing out on Luke Freeman, he's a good player and I said a while back we should try and sign him.
Adam Reach anyone?

Not at all surprised by O'Neill's sacking. Anyone who has that knobhead Keane as his number 2 deserves everything they get.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all.

Good to see all this buzz now the new financial year's upon us. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're getting what we're needing. Even if Clarke is being shipped down to London, it could've been much worse. If we'd have done any worse last season and didn't have the optimism of looking like going one further and getting autos, we would've been torn to shreds this summer. Phillips definitely would have gone, Jansson maybe, Clarke certainly, maybe more. Some have complained of short-term thinking with the loans but the reality is, this is IT - this is the best chance we have of getting back into the Premier League. Bielsa will not stay another season and we won't get another manager of his calibre for a long, long time. It's all or nothing, now or never.

O'Neill never hit the ground running at Forest in any meaningful way so I'm not surprised to see the back of him. I do however resent the notion of 'dinosaur' tactics. Tactics are tactics, they all have weaknesses and strengths and are dependent on the players executing them as well as the minute-to-minute decisions of the manager. Those who think attacking football is a modern phenomenon should look up a chap called Vic Buckingham and see just how far back the philosophies of Guardiola and Klopp go.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 am I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about the return of Harrison but again I'll be quite happy for him to prove me wrong.
Assuming Douglas regains the LB spot that will leave Harrison and Alioski competing for the position in front of him?

Helder Costa on the other hand could be a stellar signing IF he can get his early form for Wolves back. If both him and Clarke are in it we could terrorise defences.

If Ben White is as good as we all hope, I think Cooper's days are numbered in the starting eleven.
I feel the same on all these points. I'm still convinced a better player than Harrison would've seen us promoted but that was last season, time to look forward. If Bielsa believes so strongly that he can produce a quality player, then I should trust his conviction. Watching footage of Costa it looks like he can play, and play well, on either wing. If that's the case then we get strong competition for Harrison and cover for Pablo in one player - exactly what we need.

White will most certainly be best played alongside Pontus. Sorry Coops, you've served well but we'll have two very good ball-playing defenders, one with the aerial ability and muscle, the other with the intelligence and pace. This is a vital setup in attacking football tactics and will definitely cut down our goals conceded through counter attacks.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds have an option to buy Harrison at the end of the 19/20 season!!!!

Joe Urquhart

@JoeUrquhartYEP

Confirmed - Manchester City winger Jack Harrison and Brighton defender Ben White both join Leeds United on season-long loan deals. Leeds also hold the option to make Harrison's move permanent next summer.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Says alot about Harrision that he is the only one invited back. Good engine and at least appears to give it his all and must be fitter going into 19/20 season so will give him the benefit.
I am still a bit nervous about our number 9 and an outright 25 goal a season striker.
That could still be our weakness
Just got my Gold membership sorted so will be along for some games
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 am Only option we have as Radz is claiming we have no money. If Ben White excels at Leeds we maybe in a position to afford him especially if we are promoted & the Seagulls are relegated.

I'm not Jack's biggest fan but like you we have to trust Bielsa's decision, he needs to step up to the plate on a more consistent basis, you never know Harrison could turn out to be a real star.

That's the key Ges, will Costa be the same player we witnessed two years ago?

The baggies won't be hanging around for long with Bilic at the helm, class coach imo!

Another journeyman past his sell-date :tup:
Afternoon Leon, will all these wingers, where are we going to play Alioski???
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm
That is exciting news.
'
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:13 pm
Sigh... Not this again.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm Afternoon Leon, will all these wingers, where are we going to play Alioski???
Afternoon Matt

God knows mate, I don't think any of us know who is going to play & their position in the team until the opening day of the season
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm Sigh... Not this again.
Know you're not keen SG but if QSI really want LUFC then QSI will get it eventually.

They are the sort of people who get what they want.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom