The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to have!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to have!

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 24th July, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines...

Ben Gibson on Leeds radar

Leeds are in talks with Burnley regarding a possible swap deal involving Ben Gibson and Bailey Peacock Farrell. The former Boro centre back is out of favour at Turf Moor having made just one appearance for the Clarets in the 12 months he has been there.

Peacock Farrell also looks to be surplus to requirements at Elland Road having made just one 45 minute appearance for the Whites in pre season. He did not go on the tour of Australia and did not feature against recent friendlies against Tadcaster or Al-Ittihad.

Burnley will have to drastically reduce their expectations for the 26yo; thy're looking to recoup most of the the 15m they paid for Gibson. Leeds will expect a fee around 3.5m for the Northern Ireland shot stopper.
Can the two clubs reach a mutual agreement?

Mirror Journalist - Leeds have no interest in Sawyers

Sports Journalist David Anderson has reported that Leeds have no interest whatsoever in Brentford playmaker Romaine Sawyers. Normally the Daily Mirror sports writer is a reliable source. It would also explain why Leeds didn't look at a swap deal involving Jansson.

Dilemma time

Given the choice to bring a former Leeds player back to the club for the 2019/20 season, who would you choose from the following, and why?

James Milner
Fabian Delph
Lewis Cook
Casper Schmeichel
Danny Rose

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to have

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt

As I suspected yesterday the Sawyers link just paper talk again

I'll be surprise if we'll sign any others now, we may bring in an umpteenth U23 player so we can retain our champions status in that league :roll:
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to ha

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I would be surprised if we didn't try to sign another CB actually and there seems to be a lot of different links at various times, so I am expecting it to happen.

I don't see any other major signings, as I think we have enough cover across the park currently.

From the players listed, I don't really see any of them better than what we currently have. Milner jumps out obviously, but who would give way? We already have a decent attacking midfield in Harrison/Klich/Hernandez/Costa.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to have

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 am Good morning Matt

As I suspected yesterday the Sawyers link just paper talk again

I'll be surprise if we'll sign any others now, we may bring in an umpteenth U23 player so we can retain our champions status in that league :roll:
Morning Leon, having Leeds interested in a player has always pushed the asking price up a bit.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Gibson swap deal, No interest in Sawyers and a good dilemma to ha

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kyle_5351 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 am I would be surprised if we didn't try to sign another CB actually and there seems to be a lot of different links at various times, so I am expecting it to happen.

I don't see any other major signings, as I think we have enough cover across the park currently.

From the players listed, I don't really see any of them better than what we currently have. Milner jumps out obviously, but who would give way? We already have a decent attacking midfield in Harrison/Klich/Hernandez/Costa.
Morning Kyle,

Add to the midfield mix Shackleton, Bogusz, Phillips, Alioski and Clarke, we've surely got one of, if not the strongest midfields in the Championship.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I hate to say it but I'd choose Schmeichel, not that there's anything wrong with Casilla but Schmeichel is very vocal with his defense, he's passionate, good distribution and a decent keeper.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Delph for me. Versatile, good vision, excellent on the ball, a natural Bielsaballer who can play full back or mid. Though we'd probably have him CB.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Ben Gibson would be a good addition to the squad but if Burnley really want in the region of 15 million there is no chance of the deal being done.
I suspected the Sawyers deal was just paper talk. If there's one area we don't need to strengthen, its the midfield.
Shackleton, Bogusz and Stevens are more than able deputies.

All five of the five former players have their merits.
If we sold Phillips I'd go for Delph but right now based on our current squad it would have to be Kasper Schmeichel.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sprake1 »

Morning.

The beauty of it all is that now we can rest assured man like Victor Orta, Angus Kinnear and Andrea Radrizzani make the right and best transfer deals possible for the Club.
Regarding the keeper I can tell you Kasper Schmeichel we sold many years ago to Leicester for 1.1m and we have a 10% sell on clause of any profit Leicester get for him.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sprake1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:33 am Morning.

The beauty of it all is that now we can rest assured man like Victor Orta, Angus Kinnear and Andrea Radrizzani make the right and best transfer deals possible for the Club.
Regarding the keeper I can tell you Kasper Schmeichel we sold many years ago to Leicester for 1.1m and we have a 10% sell on clause of any profit Leicester get for him.
Morning Sprake, we also have a 10% sell on clause for Danny Rose if he ever moves. Its been reported he's leaving Spurs for the last three seasons.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Unless the swap deal is a season loan, with BPF being the fee, I can't see it happening. Wouldn't be against that if there's a 'to buy' clause. Still don't think MB is after another centre half though.

Milner or Delph for me. Both have experience of winning things and are versatile and hard working. Think Kasper is a good keeper, but people seem to forget his howlers! Kiko is our number 1 for this season I reckon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

CHAMPIONSHIP TRANSFERS SO FAR

Derby – £0

Kieran Dowell (season-long loan from Everton) has been the only notable signings for the Rams so far, who will begin the new campaign under Phillip’s Cocu’s guidance following Frank Lampard’s move to Chelsea earlier this month.

Fulham – £0

While the Cottagers haven’t forked out in terms of transfer fees so far this summer, they’ve done some outstanding business adding Ivan Cavaliero and Anthony Knockaert to their ranks on season-long loan deals from Wolves and Brighton respectively.

Sheffield Wednesday – £0

Steve Bruce’s controversial exit to Newcastle last week has unsettled the Yorkshire side’s pre-season preparations, with the Owls now on the hunt for a new manager. They have, however, brought in three players to the club already this summer, with free agents Moses Odubajo, Kadeem Harris and Julian Borner penning deals.

Swansea City – £0

Swans boss Steve Cooper has made just one signing so far this summer, with versatile defender Jake Bidwell penning a three-year deal at the Liberty Stadium following his release by QPR.

Middlesbrough – £0

Jonathan Woodgate has taken over the reins following Tony Pulis’ departure at the end of the 2018/19 season, with free agent Tomas Mejias rejoining the club on a two-year deal after his one-year contract expired at Cypriot outfit Omonia Nicosia.

Preston – £0

The Lilywhites have made two additions in the transfer window to date, with fans favourite David Nugent returning to Deepdale following his exit from Derby, while Patrick Bauer has joined on a free transfer after turning down a new contract at Charlton.

Reading – £0

The Royals are the last of the sides not to have paid a fee for a player to date this summer, with experienced defender Michael Morrison arriving from Birmingham after his contract expired at St Andrews, while Joao Virginia has arrived on loan from Premier League side Everton.

Nottingham Forest – Undisclosed

The Reds have brought in Tiago Silva and Yuri Ribiero this summer, but the fees for both players are currently unknown. Elsewhere, they have brought in some free transfers and Arijanet Muric on loan from Manchester City.

QPR – £60,000

The west London side have added eight new faces to their squad this summer, with Yoann Barbet and Lee Wallace – both of whom have worked under Rs boss Mark Warburton previously – among them.

Charlton Athletic – £200,000

Lee Bowyer has made a number of shrewd acquisitions in the transfer window so far, most notably signing former Crystal Palace playmaker Jonny Williams on a permanent deal following a successful loan spell.

National League hot shot Macauley Bonne has arrived at the Valley this summer, with the Addicks beating off a host of other clubs including Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday after meeting his release clause.

Huddersfield Town – £225,000

Following relegation from the top flight the Terriers have made a number of signings most notably Tommy Elphick and Isaac Mbenza, while also striking a loan deal for talented Liverpool goalkeeper Kamil Grabara.

Leeds United – £250,000

The acquisition of Helder Costa on a initial loan deal has boosted the Whites’ promotion hopes, with Manchester City youngster Jack Harrison also arriving on a temporary basis. Leeds are believed to have paid in the region of £250,000 for teenage winger Liam McCarron.

Hull City – £400,000

To date, the Tigers have only forked out a fee for out-of-favour QPR goalkeeper Matt Ingram, with prolific striker Tom Eaves joining the club on a free transfer after leaving League One outfit Gillingham.

Birmingham – £700,000

Former Arsenal youngster Dan Crowley has arrived at St Andrews from Dutch side Willem ll with the 21-year-old set to give the Blues midfield a much-needed creative spark.

Luton Town – £1.3m

The newly-promoted side gave their survival hopes a huge boost with the acquisition of Brendan Galloway on a free transfer from Everton. The Hatters have also clinched a club record £1.3m deal for Croatia goalkeeper Simon Sluga from Rijeka.

Wigan – £2m

Everton left-back Antonee Robinson is believed to have cost the Latics in the region of £2m, while Paul Cook has also bolstered his squad with the signings of David Marshall and Lewis MacLeod on Bosman deals from Hull City and Brentford respectively.

Millwall – £2.3m

The Lions have forked out over £1.3m for former QPR striker Matt Smith and ex-Royal Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, while they also sealed a £1m deal for Bournemouth winger Connor Mahoney.

Barnsley – £2.4m

The newly-promoted Championship side have already sealed a £1.2m deal for Luke Thomas, while Mads Juel Andersen has arrived from AC Horsens for a fee believed to be close to £900,000.

Blackburn – £5m

Rovers have already forked out a sizeable fee for former Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, while Bradley Johnson and Stewart Downing have also arrived at Ewood Park on free transfers.

Stoke – £6m

The Potters have brought in no fewer than seven players as they look to mount an automatic promotion bid this term.

They made their intentions clear for the rest of the Championship to see last month, when they announced six players signing on the same day.

Former Manchester United midfielder Nick Powell has arrived on a free transfer after leaving Wigan, while experienced goalkeeper Adam Davies and midfielder Jordan Cousins have also joined.

Meanwhile, Lee Gregory is another coup on a free transfer, while £2m was splashed out on Liam Lindsay form Luton Town.

Cardiff City – £6m

Neil Warnock will be vying for a ninth promotion as he looks for an instant return to the Premier League with the Bluebirds.

Aden Flint and Will Vaulks have both arrived at the Cardiff City Stadium this summer for £4m and £2m respectively.

West Brom – £9.5m

With Jay Rodriguez rejoining former side Burnley, the Baggies filled the No 9 void with the £8m signing of Kenneth Zohore from Cardiff City, while Semi Ajayi has landed from Rotherham in a £1.5m deal.

Bristol City – £12m

The Robins have made a number of eye-catching deals so far in this window, with Chelsea duo Tomas Kalas (£8m) and Jay Dasilva (£2m) signing on permanent deals, while Daniel Bentley has arrived from Championship rivals Brentford a fee believed to be in the region of £2m.

Brentford – £18m

The Bees have made their intentions clear in the transfer market this summer as they push for a play-off spot.

Pontus Jansson’s £5.5m move from Leeds has been the standout signing in the second tier to date, with Ethan Pinnock (£3m) and David Maya (£2m) among the new faces to arrive at Griffin Park.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 am Morning All,

Ben Gibson would be a good addition to the squad but if Burnley really want in the region of 15 million there is no chance of the deal being done.
I suspected the Sawyers deal was just paper talk. If there's one area we don't need to strengthen, its the midfield.
Shackleton, Bogusz and Stevens are more than able deputies.

All five of the five former players have their merits.
If we sold Phillips I'd go for Delph but right now based on our current squad it would have to be Kasper Schmeichel.

Chilli
Morning Chilli, when you have a look at the names on paper of the midfield we have, most of which were with us last season, how was it that we didn't have the best midfield in the division.

Surely we do now?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am Delph for me. Versatile, good vision, excellent on the ball, a natural Bielsaballer who can play full back or mid. Though we'd probably have him CB.
Morning MB, who would he replace?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 am Morning MB, who would he replace?
I think he'd be fanstic alongside Klich or Pablo at CM, at the expense of Forshaw and letting us rotate without the noticeable break in our freeflowing style that Forshaw often represents. Of course when Ayling/Dallas inevitably get injured he'd slot right in at RB making way for Bogusz in mid.

It was hard not picking Milner, mind, who can do the same thing on the left and more. I just thought that was too obvious an answer and I wanted to be different. :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

I was wondering who had signed who, as I hadn't seen much transfer activity, that list shows no team other than Brentford is really putting it out there. Looking at the list of players there are only 2 players i think would improve our team. Costa is as good a signing as either. Is it ffp or whatever they call it now taking a hold?

Schmeichel , Kiko is still a big worry for me.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:02 am I think he'd be fanstic alongside Klich or Pablo at CM, at the expense of Forshaw and letting us rotate without the noticeable break in our freeflowing style that Forshaw often represents. Of course when Ayling/Dallas inevitably get injured he'd slot right in at RB making way for Bogusz in mid.

It was hard not picking Milner, mind, who can do the same thing on the left and more. I just thought that was too obvious an answer and I wanted to be different. :)
MB, tbh, I can't see Forshaw getting a game. Surely with Shackleton, Bogusz and even Stevens breaking though, I think Forshaw will find it difficult to get on the bench.

He's not going to replace Hernandez and we have Costa, Harrison, Clarke and Alioski for wide positions.

So, we only have Klich's position, and we already have 3 or 4 chasing that slot.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:08 am I was wondering who had signed who, as I hadn't seen much transfer activity, that list shows no team other than Brentford is really putting it out there. Looking at the list of players there are only 2 players i think would improve our team. Costa is as good a signing as either. Is it ffp or whatever they call it now taking a hold?

Schmeichel , Kiko is still a big worry for me.
Morning Gessa, I don't know why but I like Casilla. I think he would have learnt his lessons from last season regarding racing off his line into no mans land. He and Bielsa have had communication over the Summer, and I'd be willing to give the Spaniard my vote of confidence.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am MB, tbh, I can't see Forshaw getting a game. Surely with Shackleton, Bogusz and even Stevens breaking though, I think Forshaw will find it difficult to get on the bench.

He's not going to replace Hernandez and we have Costa, Harrison, Clarke and Alioski for wide positions.

So, we only have Klich's position, and we already have 3 or 4 chasing that slot.
I hope you're right, mate. The young lads might not have the experience but they have bags of talent, energy and always look like they're trying to prove themselves. Probably why Bielsa isn't afraid to take a chance on them.

I remember a Middlesbrough supporting mate of mine last season, constantly bemoaning the youths wasted under Pulis, ones who could have made a difference to their playoff chances. There's something about the likes of Shack and Bogusz that makes a game so much more exciting, like you just know there's a chance they'll pull a bit of magic out of the hat but maybe I'm just being overly romantic.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am I hope you're right, mate. The young lads might not have the experience but they have bags of talent, energy and always look like they're trying to prove themselves. Probably why Bielsa isn't afraid to take a chance on them.

I remember a Middlesbrough supporting mate of mine last season, constantly bemoaning the youths wasted under Pulis, ones who could have made a difference to their playoff chances. There's something about the likes of Shack and Bogusz that makes a game so much more exciting, like you just know there's a chance they'll pull a bit of magic out of the hat but maybe I'm just being overly romantic.
Pulis is still considered a great coach, but unfortunately isn't changing with the times