Finding Jack Charlton - The Story Of Jack

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Film & TV Finding Jack Charlton - The Story Of Jack

Post by HarryofOz »

Article in the Guardian about Jack Charlton and the Finding Jack Charlton movie

Jack Charlton's courage shone through as he faced his 'greatest challenge
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Finding Jack Charlton - the story of Jack

Post by Smudge3920 »

Nice piece Harry, I look forward to seeing the film... a big man deserved all his success, my boyhood hero...RIP Big Jack
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

You'll find his son running charltons bar at cambois
Some memrobila of his fatha in there

Next door is charltons cafe the fishnchips are second to non

A 2 mile walk from there you'll find me on my private estate
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:51 am You'll find his son running charltons bar at cambois
Some memrobila of his fatha in there

Next door is charltons cafe the fishnchips are second to non

A 2 mile walk from there you'll find me on my private estate
:lol: :lol: :lol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Looking forward to seeing this. Always knew Jack as a manager as his playing days were before my time. Couldnt stand him as Ireland manager. He was a traitor for me, making England look bad (although Graham Taylor was equally to blame). Didnt like his tactics either, but give him credit for getting the best out of a group of 2nd rate players.

His Leeds career is a phenomenal achievement in retrospect. Really curious to learn more.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Andy. Jack's best attribute he was one of us and he never lost it
He could crack on about owt he was often in the Italian ice cream / coffee cafe at newbiggin he would crack on about his fatha
A tough as teak man but engrossing
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I take exception to the penultimate poster on the basis of a so called " 2nd rate players" and international ones at that .
If you'd class , Paul mc Grath , Townsend, Ray Houghton , Sheedy ,Aldridge, Staunton and
David o 'Leary ,Kevin Moran et all then ( Very gifted& courageous players ) you'd be so far of the mark its Laughable .
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Paddy .. . Paul mc Grath was a proper player

He would of slotted into any team in the world

He was that good and a bad lad which I like
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

paddy parrott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:40 pm I take exception to the penultimate poster on the basis of a so called " 2nd rate players" and international ones at that .
If you'd class , Paul mc Grath , Townsend, Ray Houghton , Sheedy ,Aldridge, Staunton and
David o 'Leary ,Kevin Moran et all then ( Very gifted& courageous players ) you'd be so far of the mark its Laughable .
Totally agree PP. There was talent throughout that team. In some ways Jack’s style of play sold that quality short, but my word could they play when they needed to.

In fact AJS’s comment is the ultimate compliment to most Ireland fans. If Charlton hadn’t been as successful as he was in building that team, no one would have cared. Ensuring they remained unbeaten by England on his watch helps as well of course. ;-)
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :ire:
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

It's on TV here in Ireland tonight.

Have to say, I don't remember Jack at Leeds...but I remember every single match of Jack in charge of Ireland. He really connected with the Irish. He was loved as a person, if not always as a manager...the football was direct. But they were incredible times. I guess for me, it was interwoven with my coming of age. When we qualified for Euro '88 I was 13 and setting out as a teenager. When we played in Italia '90 I was 16 and thinking about drink, women, exams etc. When we played Northern Ireland to reach USA '94 I was in 3rd level, watched that game with my then girlfriend now wife.

So many of my formative years were played out against the backdrop of Charlton leading Ireland to success, his voice, his image. And it was also a time when Ireland was emerging from its position as the sick man of Europe, a peace process was developing, fewer people were emigrating, and a lot of people have linked all that to the success on the football field...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

On BBC2 (I think) at 7pm Monday here
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 pm On BBC2 (I think) at 7pm Monday here
I’ve just been on the TV guide to record this and it’s showing BBC2 @ 9pm
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 pm I’ve just been on the TV guide to record this and it’s showing BBC2 @ 9pm
Cheers Rich, wasn't sure what time it was on. I put it on record last week just in case I missed it.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Finding Jack Charlton - The Story Of Jack

Post by Orange Box »

My father in law died from dementia around the same time as Big Jack, so there’ll be tears in our house tonight. I loved him as a player and saw him many times. What a man
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Looking forward to watching it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Big Jack, and his direct replacement, Gordon McQueen, both diagnosed with Dementia. Says a lot.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

I was bought the DVD for christmas and i am not ashamed to admit it but it brought tears to my eyes in places.Remembering running around a football pitch been with him on shooting parties around the yorkshire wolds .RIP Jack
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:48 am I was bought the DVD for christmas and i am not ashamed to admit it but it brought tears to my eyes in places.Remembering running around a football pitch been with him on shooting parties around the yorkshire wolds .RIP Jack
I'll have a box of tissues at hand :tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Mountain wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:03 pm So many of my formative years were played out against the backdrop of Charlton leading Ireland to success, his voice, his image. And it was also a time when Ireland was emerging from its position as the sick man of Europe, a peace process was developing, fewer people were emigrating, and a lot of people have linked all that to the success on the football field...
A recurring opinion seemed to be that Jack did more for Irish-English relations than all the politicians in the world combined. :)