Leeds v Newcastle Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI to face Magpies

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Match Thread Leeds v Newcastle Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI to face Magpies

Post by 1964white »

Wednesday 16th December 18:00 | Elland Road | Amazon Prime Video

Leeds United have a tough road ahead as they take on Newcastle United in the Premier League on Wednesday. Leeds, despite not having the results, played with a lot of heart and looked impressive at the start of the season. Unfortunately our form seems to have tapered off and have managed to win only one of their last five games in the Premier League. Leeds are at the 14th position in the standings with 14 points on board. They have won four games and lost six games in their 12 games so far this season. Leeds have the 2nd joint worst defensive record with only the Baggies conceding more goals in the Premier League. A win here would be ideal for them to get their campaign back in track and stay away from the relegation zone.

Marcelo Bielsa has no fresh injury concerns, naming an unchanges starting eleven. Leif Davis starts on the bench with Helder Costa dropping out of the squad following a lacklustre second half performance against West Ham on Friday evening. Argentine defender Federico Fernandez and Scotland winger Ryan Fraser are back in contention for Newcastle. Fernandez was one of a number of Magpies players who contracted coronavirus but his latest negative test means he is available, as is Fraser after his recovery from a hamstring injury that has sidelined him since November 1.

This is the first Premier League meeting between Leeds and Newcastle since January 2004, when the Magpies won 1-0 at St James’ Park courtesy of Alan Shearer’s goal. Newcastle are unbeaten in their last five away league games against Leeds (W4 D1), with this their first meeting since a 2-0 Championship win in November 2016. Their last defeat at Elland Road was in the Premier League in September 1999 (2-3). Newcastle have lost just one of their last 13 Premier League games in Yorkshire (W9 D3), losing 0-1 at Huddersfield in August 2017.

In the Championship last season, Leeds remained unbeaten in all 14 of their midweek games (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), winning nine and drawing five. Newcastle have won just one of their last 22 Premier League games played on a Wednesday (D4 L17), winning 4-1 at Bournemouth in July. Indeed, the Magpies have lost more Premier League games on a Wednesday than any other side in the competition (44).

Leeds have lost their last two Premier League games despite opening the scoring each time. Only four teams have ever lost three in a row despite scoring first in the competition – Blackburn in April 2007, Sunderland in February 2011, Wolves in April 2012 and Leicester in December 2014. This is Marcelo Bielsa’s 114th match in charge of Leeds United in all competitions – the most he’s managed at a club in his managerial career, overtaking the 113 he managed at Athletic Bilbao between 2011 and 2013.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Moreno, Raphinha, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Struijk, Shackleton, Davis, Roberts, Hernandez, Poveda
1964white

Re: Leeds v Newcastle Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

MATCH FACTS

1) This is the first Premier League meeting between Leeds and Newcastle since January 2004, when the Magpies won 1-0 at St James’ Park courtesy of Alan Shearer’s goal.

2) Newcastle are unbeaten in their last five away league games against Leeds (W4 D1), with this their first meeting since a 2-0 Championship win in November 2016. Their last defeat at Elland Road was in the Premier League in September 1999 (2-3).

3) Newcastle have lost just one of their last 13 Premier League games in Yorkshire (W9 D3), losing 0-1 at Huddersfield in August 2017.

4 In the Championship last season, Leeds remained unbeaten in all 14 of their midweek games (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), winning nine and drawing five.

5) Newcastle have won just one of their last 22 Premier League games played on a Wednesday (D4 L17), winning 4-1 at Bournemouth in July. Indeed, the Magpies have lost more Premier League games on a Wednesday than any other side in the competition (44).

6) Leeds have lost their last two Premier League games despite opening the scoring each time. Only four teams have ever lost three in a row despite scoring first in the competition – Blackburn in April 2007, Sunderland in February 2011, Wolves in April 2012 and Leicester in December 2014.

7) 57% of Newcastle’s Premier League goals this season have come in the final 15 minutes of games (8/14). The Magpies have scored in this timeframe in all five of their victories so far this season.

8) Newcastle are looking to win three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since November 2018, while manager Steve Bruce hasn’t won three in a row in the competition since a run of four with Wigan in January 2009.

9 This is Marcelo Bielsa’s 114th match in charge of Leeds United in all competitions – the most he’s managed at a club in his managerial career, overtaking the 113 he managed at Athletic Bilbao between 2011 and 2013.

10) Newcastle boss Steve Bruce hasn’t managed a Premier League game against Leeds at Elland Road since September 2003, a 2-0 win with Birmingham. On the day of this game, it will be 17 years and 87 days since then, with only Kenny Dalglish at Carrow Road (17y 210d, 1994-2012) and Roy Hodgson at Selhurst Park (18y 320d, 1998-2017) having a longer gap between games managed at a ground in Premier League history
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Shearer always seemed to score against Leeds, altho i'm guessing quite afew people have said that from many teams.

Here we go again folks. I sense now fans are not that confident of any result. I am in that category now myself after WH. We know what's coming on set-pieces i honestly don't see anyone in our side who can help out in defence? Struijk played for 23's yesterday and i thought he was poor in the DM position. Maybe we could have him in a back 3 to sure things up but i can't see MB changing much.

Meslier
Ayling Struijk Cooper Dallas
Phillips
Raph Klich Hernandez Rodrigo
Bamford

Meslier
Dallas Ayling Cooper Davis
Phillips Struijk
Raph Hernandez Rodrigo
Bamford

Meslier
Ayling Struijk Cooper
Shackleton Phillips Alioski/Davis/Dallas
Raph Hernandez/Klich Harrison
Rodrigo

I don't know what happened there. :shock:
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Very nervous for this one.

We are getting into must win territory.

My line up:

Meslier
Phillips
Raphinha Rodrigo Klich Poveda
Bamford
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Yeah, it's probably gonna be nerve-wracking Fridge.

My team would be:
Meslier
Ayling
Struijk
Cooper
Davis
Phillips
Klich
Rodrigo
Hernandez
Poveda
Bamford

MB will probably go with:
Meslier
Shackleton
Ayling
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Klich
Raphinha
Rodrigo
Harrison
Bamford
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd like to see

Meslier
Dallas Ayling Cooper Alioski
Phillips Klich
Raph -Hernandez - Jack
Rodrigo

But I'm ok with whatever MB goes with...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Meslier
Dallas. Ayling. Cooper. Alioski
Phillips. Klich
Raphinha. Pablo or Rodrigo. Harrison
Bamford

Pablo or Rodrigo swap for each other later in the game
I’m not sure either are totally bielsa-fit, rather than any other theories that are doing the rounds.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am Shearer always seemed to score against Leeds, altho i'm guessing quite afew people have said that from many teams.

Here we go again folks. I sense now fans are not that confident of any result. I am in that category now myself after WH. We know what's coming on set-pieces i honestly don't see anyone in our side who can help out in defence? Struijk played for 23's yesterday and i thought he was poor in the DM position. Maybe we could have him in a back 3 to sure things up but i can't see MB changing much.
Leeds was Shearer's favourite fixture of the season as he use to have field-day

20 goals in 20 appearances v Leeds :soccer:

I use to loathe it when he celebrated goal after goal with one of his arms in the air

Thierry Henry was another thorn in our side although I liked him as a player

I wish Bielsa would look upon Struijk as a CB not a DM
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:08 pm Leeds was Shearer's favourite fixture of the season as he use to have field-day

I use to loathe it when he celebrated goal after goal with one of his arms in the air

But can you imagine our scorelines if we had a Shearer up front for us? :shock: He'd put every header away, and could shoot from outside the box as well. Complete striker.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Play two defensive mids

Apparently Cooper & Struijk are both left-footed but does it really matter when Marcelo tends to play much of his squad out of position

I like young Davis but I do think we are generally better when Dallas in our back four

Meslier

Phillips Klich

Raphinha Hernandez Rodrigo

Bamford

Bielsa will probably go with

Meslier
Dallas
Ayling
Cooper
Alioski
Phillips
Klich
Raphinha
Rodrigo
Harrison
Bamford

A leopard never changes its spots

Anyway lets all trust in something that clearly isn't working :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 pm But can you imagine our scorelines if we had a Shearer up front for us? :shock: He'd put every header away, and could shoot from outside the box as well. Complete striker.
Yes he certainly was Lumi especially against our redundant 90's defences, we couldn't defend then
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:00 pm I'd like to see

Meslier
Dallas Ayling Cooper Alioski
Phillips Klich
Raph -Hernandez - Jack
Rodrigo

But I'm ok with whatever MB goes with...
Surely not Alioski & Jack again

Sorry, of course they will be selected even though both our schoolboys were dragged off at half-time v West Ham :roll: :roll:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

If Pablo fit...

................Meslier
Dallas...Ayling...Cooper...Alioski
.. ......Phillips... Struijk
Raphina......................Rodrigo
....................Hernandez
...........Bamford

Pablo not fit...

............Meslier
Dallas...Ayling...Struijk...Alioski
...............Phillips
Raphina...Rodrigo...Shackleton...Poveda
....................Bamford
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Ones to watch out for this game IMO:

Allan Saint Maximin is absolutely brilliant with his feet. The type that can skip past almost anyone. Expecting him to play a similar role to Benrahma on Friday.

Almiron is a very tricky and talented player.

Callum Wilson is tall and dangerous, can be very potent on his day. Expect him to be a threat from set pieces.

These are the ones we have to worry about most. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our old pal Dwight Gayle make an appearance either. He knows how to play us, can see Bruce taking advantage of that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fridge wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:13 pm Ones to watch out for this game IMO:

Allan Saint Maximin is absolutely brilliant with his feet. The type that can skip past almost anyone. Expecting him to play a similar role to Benrahma on Friday.

Almiron is a very tricky and talented player.

Callum Wilson is tall and dangerous, can be very potent on his day. Expect him to be a threat from set pieces.

These are the ones we have to worry about most. Wouldn’t be surprised to see our old pal Dwight Gayle make an appearance either. He knows how to play us, can see Bruce taking advantage of that.
Scored a thumping header within three minutes of coming on v the baggies, my goal of the day on Saturday

They have a real mix of an attacking threat

Shelvey could cause us some problems too!

Darlow is a cracking keeper at the other end
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:08 pm Leeds was Shearer's favourite fixture of the season as he use to have field-day

Shearer would get 20 goals in 5 appearances if he was playing against our current defence. He will always have respect from me for turning United down to go and play for his boyhood club. I wonder if he regrets it....... Nar.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:08 pm I wish Bielsa would look upon Struijk as a CB not a DM
100%

No reason he can’t be both in a pinch but he is a CB primarily.

Prefer Struijk in CB to a makeshift partnership of Ayling and Cooper. Think Ayling is more than capable but we miss the freedom he gets from playing at RB.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Both left footed aren't they?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:20 pm Both left footed aren't they?
Does it matter Faaip? bearing in mind Bielsa has many of his players playing out of their natural position. He has played Harrison, Costa, Raphinha, Dallas on both flanks
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Dominated two games in a row really makes look over your shoulder a bit and worry when sides at the bottom are picking up points, this is a massive game that we need to win, no reason we can’t, we have played some brilliant football this year, but if a team can match our work rate and energy we struggle.
Set pieces are killing us, I felt Ayling played well at cb but we need him at rb, why is Struijk not getting a chance in defence? He has the height that we need for set pieces.
I’d also like to see Pablo start ahead of Bamford with Rodrigo up top. Let Raphinha and Pablo chop and change throughout and cause some trouble. Bamford has done amazingly well but I just think he is too timid in the box and doesn’t offer an aerial pressence, crosses into the box lead to little

Meslier
Phillips
Pablo Raphinha Klich Harrison
Rodrigo
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..