Junior Firpo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Junior Firpo

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:30 pm That song went to his head last night. :roll:
As I've said many times, only a pissed up fool would contemplate signing that song, kin embarrassing :roll:
worse than the "Yorkshire pirlo" song.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:36 pm He didn't cope . . . . .

Sloppy on the ball

Poor positioning off the ball.

Didn't cope at all.
He did struggle but against the lesser lights his attacking ability has been very helpful for us of late.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:21 pm He did struggle but against the lesser lights his attacking ability has been very helpful for us of late.
I've been really pleased with his improvement this season. He's had a good run of games and looked the part. Last night, he was on Leicester's quieter side but fluffed a couple of things. He had that easy pass that was rolled to him, took his eye off the ball, and it went right past him. That's the school boy stuff he needs to eliminate.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:59 pm I've been really pleased with his improvement this season. He's had a good run of games and looked the part. Last night, he was on Leicester's quieter side but fluffed a couple of things. He had that easy pass that was rolled to him, took his eye off the ball, and it went right past him. That's the school boy stuff he needs to eliminate.
You can lead a horse to water but ........................
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

For me Firpo has been comfortable of late because he hasn’t had a decent winger/attacking force to contend with. Last night he did, and he reverted to form. The guy might be decent going forward but he is no LB. Move him on this summer, he’ll be great for the Blunts.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well, that performance from Junior confirms he's not good enough even at top championship level, let alone any thoughts of him playing in the PL again.

3 decent actions & 8 poor moments, losing possession & his marker& falling over in our own half on four occasions is not great in a game of such importance.

Is it any wonder we struggled when at least three of our players didn't show their true form?

Maybe Firpo showed his true form :lol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:54 pm Well, that performance from Junior confirms he's not good enough even at top championship level, let alone any thoughts of him playing in the PL again.

3 decent actions & 8 poor moments, losing possession & his marker& falling over in our own half on four occasions is not great in a game of such importance.

Is it any wonder we struggled when at least three of our players didn't show their true form?

Maybe Firpo showed his true form :lol:
I thought Firpo was on a really good run until yesterday. Worst moment from me was when he took his eye off the ball and let a simple pass run past him. School boy stuff.
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Hopefully we won’t come up against the 2 wide players again this season.
Gray also given a torrid evening until the final 15 minutes
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Meant to say as good as the Leicester ones
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Phild wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:45 pm Hopefully we won’t come up against the 2 wide players again this season.
Gray also given a torrid evening until the final 15 minutes
However, Gray is a natural defender but, he is a talented footballer, a boy who is still learning his trade.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He's been asked to defend in 2 games and been really poor both times.

OK going forward but a massive weak link if asked to be a well rounded left back.

If he stays as our starting left back we need to keep him going forward, letting opponents make him defend is an accident in waiting.

Done a decent job going forward (did against vs Chelsea), may get away with it in this league but it's bum twitching every time he's asked to defend.

Not massively annoyed at him for tonight but just a general feeling based on last 2.

Fortunately most teams we face won't be able to force him back as much and won't have players like Fatawu, Mudryk and the rest Chelsea had.

Just wish he could defend as well as he can attack because offensively he was pretty good again but defensively all the goals down his side
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:34 am He's been asked to defend in 2 games and been really poor both times.

OK going forward but a massive weak link if asked to be a well rounded left back.

If he stays as our starting left back we need to keep him going forward, letting opponents make him defend is an accident in waiting.

Done a decent job going forward (did against vs Chelsea), may get away with it in this league but it's bum twitching every time he's asked to defend.

Not massively annoyed at him for tonight but just a general feeling based on last 2.

Fortunately most teams we face won't be able to force him back as much and won't have players like Fatawu, Mudryk and the rest Chelsea had.

Just wish he could defend as well as he can attack because offensively he was pretty good again but defensively all the goals down his side
I thought Junior was OK today. Poor against Lester, but decent today. You could blame him for that 3rd goal. But he'd just been booked and was likely to give a penalty away from where he was.

But I will agree that he's not going to be good enough to be considered a starting premier league left back/ And Byram can't be relied on. So that's definitely going to be a priority.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:34 am I thought Junior was OK today. Poor against Lester, but decent today. You could blame him for that 3rd goal. But he'd just been booked and was likely to give a penalty away from where he was.

But I will agree that he's not going to be good enough to be considered a starting premier league left back/ And Byram can't be relied on. So that's definitely going to be a priority.
“So that’s definitely STILL going to be a priority.”
😉
Football/Futbol/Soccer
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:01 am “So that’s definitely STILL going to be a priority.”
😉
Should have been THE priority in January.
Keeping The Faith
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I thought Firpo in the main did a decent job last night. He has certainly learned not to dive in, which was a problem for his first two seasons. He took a booking on a Sterling mistimed tackle but it was a good tactical foul as they were breaking. He made a few good recoveries last night. The limitations he has defensively have been largely negated with the system we play and the double pivot.
The winner for Chelsea at the death had a lot of moving parts, it was a decent incisive move and the defending was typical of a leg weary defence thinking about extra time.
He will leave in the summer unless we have a recruitment issue for that position.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:38 am I thought Firpo in the main did a decent job last night. He has certainly learned not to dive in, which was a problem for his first two seasons. He took a booking on a Sterling mistimed tackle but it was a good tactical foul as they were breaking. He made a few good recoveries last night. The limitations he has defensively have been largely negated with the system we play and the double pivot.
The winner for Chelsea at the death had a lot of moving parts, it was a decent incisive move and the defending was typical of a leg weary defence thinking about extra time.
He will leave in the summer unless we have a recruitment issue for that position.
This ^ :tup:

DF will know he needs a good LB, but we're currently in the Championship with a positive attacking style from DF.

I'm pretty sure at this level we're ok for now with Byram, Firpo, Shack, Pascal, Gruev, Gray, who in that order, could play or fill in there.

Like DF has stated, it is one step at a time, and he will know he wants better there going forward.

We have ALL seen he has bought well to build his team and get them playing good enough for the task in hand which is promotion, and he's done it quickly and on a 'first things first' basis with signings like Ampadu and Gruev who cover more than one position, then add the bringing thru of Gray and others, he is doing just grand.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Btw, i was watching him last night as much as possible, he was generally having a good game until it came to what he was signed for.

His passing wasn't bad and he appeared pretty calm when it came to him to pass, but his timing of tackles is atrocious along with a lot of other defensive duties which you'd expect any average LB to be able to carry out.

People have commented Cooper was bad, i don't think he was, this is LC's last year with us, but bad players around you, will also make you look bad too.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I thought Firpo did ok last night, though I do think he needs to work on in-game concentration, he seems to switch off at times. Decent going forward, but still ropey when he's being run at. As others have said, he's learned not to dive in, which is a bonus, but he is not a pure LB. Or not one good enough to do a job in the Prem. Works as a LWB in this league, doubtful we'd get away with him starting in the Prem.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 am Btw, i was watching him last night as much as possible, he was generally having a good game until it came to what he was signed for.

His passing wasn't bad and he appeared pretty calm when it came to him to pass, but his timing of tackles is atrocious along with a lot of other defensive duties which you'd expect any average LB to be able to carry out.

People have commented Cooper was bad, i don't think he was, this is LC's last year with us, but bad players around you, will also make you look bad too.
You have no what Bielsa had in mind when he signed Firpo. He wasn't signed as a LB he was signed as a LWB. There is a difference.

Hes not a great player admittedly but was not the cause of our loss last night.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Firpo was signed as an attacking player by Orta/Bielsa ... it's that simple. I thought he had a better game defensively last night than Roberts say... Rodon being the outstanding defender, Firpo, Cooper, Roberts in that order. I had more issues with Firpo going forward v Chelsea, made the wrong decision a couple of times. And THAT's what we signed him for ...

In matchday ratings I score Firpo on his forward work in the main. We basically play a fluid 3-3 -1-3, which is the formation Bielsa loved but never had the players for. Geo as the free player
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"