Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Newcastle United Thread

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Eddie Howe has done a top job.

Honestly didn’t think he would be a big enough “ name” to continue this season in the eyes of the owners.

They haven’t flashed the cash as much as most people thought and there seems to be a seamless progression without upsetting the balance of the side.

With their financial power they are going to be a top six side sooner than later.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Fish »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:10 pm Wondering what Newcastle supporters think of Weston McKennie. Looks like he is going to part ways with Juventus as early as the January window. He wants a move to the Premier League. I would love him at Leeds. But I'm not sure he is the best fit in Jesse Marsch's system. In my view both Liverpool and Newcastle could use some bite in midfield. He would be a huge upgrade over Longstaff for your side. And he plays the same position in a 4-3-3.
Honestly, don't know enough about him. We would benefit from a midfielder that would allow Bruno to get further forward and McKennie looks like he could do that role. Who knows though, we're ahead of schedule right now, sitting in 3rd, definitely will be at least 4th going into the World Cup break. The owners might decide to roll the dice and try for Champions League qualification with some big signings, or stick to the plan and lock in Top 6.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:57 pm Eddie Howe has done a top job.

Honestly didn’t think he would be a big enough “ name” to continue this season in the eyes of the owners.

They haven’t flashed the cash as much as most people thought and there seems to be a seamless progression without upsetting the balance of the side.

With their financial power they are going to be a top six side sooner than later.
EH is a good young manager, he's had time out to re-calibrate and assess things more, the players have all bought into what he wants at newcastle which is always a good thing, he's also getting the best out of his mis-firing team now.
Lets see what happens if they get into europe and it certainly looks like they will, next season will be the acid test, see west ham, wolves, burnley etc with limited a squad.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:01 pm EH is a good young manager, he's had time out to re-calibrate and assess things more, the players have all bought into what he wants at newcastle which is always a good thing, he's also getting the best out of his mis-firing team now.
Lets see what happens if they get into europe and it certainly looks like they will, next season will be the acid test, see west ham, wolves, burnley etc with limited a squad.
Difference between those teams and ours is intent. The owners will invest in the side to allow us to better compete on multiple fronts. Those teams either couldn't afford or couldn't justify the expense of fattening out the squad. We should be able to deepen our squad and attract good quality too.

Question has to be, given we're going to be at least 4th when the January window opens, do we stay the course and plan for Europa League 23/24, or roll the dice and try and sneak into the Champions League years ahead of schedule?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Fish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:45 pm Difference between those teams and ours is intent. The owners will invest in the side to allow us to better compete on multiple fronts. Those teams either couldn't afford or couldn't justify the expense of fattening out the squad. We should be able to deepen our squad and attract good quality too.

Question has to be, given we're going to be at least 4th when the January window opens, do we stay the course and plan for Europa League 23/24, or roll the dice and try and sneak into the Champions League years ahead of schedule?
Yea I agree there fish, not having a go, just stating really thats what a lot of our fans thought after we finished 9th, our board have no intention or brass to be able to push us on.
Newcastle have both the ambition and the brass, like you say, in January they will see another opportunity to push on not stagnate, and I;m sure EH will have expressed his concerns as well.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:51 pm Yea I agree there fish, not having a go, just stating really thats what a lot of our fans thought after we finished 9th, our board have no intention or brass to be able to push us on.
Newcastle have both the ambition and the brass, like you say, in January they will see another opportunity to push on not stagnate, and I;m sure EH will have expressed his concerns as well.
Oh, I remember in 2012, we finished in an unlikely 5th spot. Thanks largely to better teams having stinkers. Who did we end up signing to help us attack the Premier and Europa LEagues the next season? Vurnon Anita and Gael Bigirimana. The former you know only too well and the latter was one of those players who even Newcastle fans may struggle to remember. That was that. 2 Centre Mids for a sum total of £7m when we were painful lacking in depth across the squad.

I don't see that being the route taken by Newcastle this time around. I don't think we'll be throwing around the kind of money we did in the Summer, but the rumours of Maddison from Leicester aren't going away.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Fish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:14 pm Oh, I remember in 2012, we finished in an unlikely 5th spot. Thanks largely to better teams having stinkers. Who did we end up signing to help us attack the Premier and Europa LEagues the next season? Vurnon Anita and Gael Bigirimana. The former you know only too well and the latter was one of those players who even Newcastle fans may struggle to remember. That was that. 2 Centre Mids for a sum total of £7m when we were painful lacking in depth across the squad.

I don't see that being the route taken by Newcastle this time around. I don't think we'll be throwing around the kind of money we did in the Summer, but the rumours of Maddison from Leicester aren't going away.
He's be a great signing for you, also if Leicester continue with their recent demise he may just want to go.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cracking strike from Joe Willock :soccer:

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Think they will sign Maddison in January. Hope so anyway as it will weaken Leicester.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:49 pm Think they will sign Maddison in January. Hope so anyway as it will weaken Leicester.
Nah, not likely, Maddison will still be too expensive in January. More chance of getting Tielemans, not that I think we're after him either. Maddison still has 18 months on his contract, he's vital to Leicester's survival hopes, plus he's a young English attacker. Too rich for us right now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Newcastle were in the bottom three this time last season, I seriously thought they were going down, even with their imminent takeover.

Watching the barcodes closely today, they are unrecognisable in comparison to last year.

They appear to be a tall & athletic team.

Clinical, even without their main strike-force.

Press at the right times.

Comfortable & slick on the ball.

None of the tippy-tappy stuff between their keeper & defence with enforced errors occurring.

Their players seem to be in the right position when they attack & defend.

Unlike Leeds, they don't go to sleep off the ball, determined in not allowing Leicester back in the game when holding the lead.

Ashley Barnes hardly got a kick today & was deservedly subbed, unfortunately we allow him to run riot when we are up against the Foxes.

Within a year, Newcastle are a million miles ahead of us :(

Still think we could get something at St James Park if we apply ourselves
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Good runs usually come to an end against a team you don’t expect to lose against 🤞🏻

Ps, how many times over the years has that happened to us? I’ve lost count.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:11 pm Newcastle were in the bottom three this time last season, I seriously thought they were going down, even with their imminent takeover.

Watching the barcodes closely today, they are unrecognisable in comparison to last year.

They appear to be a tall & athletic team.

Clinical, even without their main strike-force.

Press at the right times.

Comfortable & slick on the ball.

None of the tippy-tappy stuff between their keeper & defence with enforced errors occurring.

Their players seem to be in the right position when they attack & defend.

Unlike Leeds, they don't go to sleep off the ball, determined in not allowing Leicester back in the game when holding the lead.

Ashley Barnes hardly got a kick today & was deservedly subbed, unfortunately we allow him to run riot when we are up against the Foxes.

Within a year, Newcastle are a million miles ahead of us :(

Still think we could get something at St James Park if we apply ourselves
They've spent £210 million.

And their owners executed 17 men, many by beheading, last month.

LUFC is not comparable with NUFC, a multi million project to cover depravity.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mountain wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:23 pm They've spent £210 million.

And their owners executed 17 men, many by beheading, last month.

LUFC is not comparable with NUFC, a multi million project to cover depravity.
Where was that horrific act reported, Mountain?
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

1964white wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:14 pm Where was that horrific act reported, Mountain?
The NUFC owners executed 17 over just 2 weeks in November...

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 022-11-22/
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I reckon Newcastle were the only team who didn't wear a black armband yesterday in respect of England World Cup winner George Cohen.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:00 am I reckon Newcastle were the only team who didn't wear a black armband yesterday in respect of England World Cup winner George Cohen.
Did they not?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Mountain wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:26 pm The NUFC owners executed 17 over just 2 weeks in November...

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 022-11-22/
1532 people executed in the USA since 1976 through the death penalty.

Not justifying the Saudis etc but a so called civilised country is executing plenty of people.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:11 am 1532 people executed in the USA since 1976 through the death penalty.

Not justifying the Saudis etc but a so called civilised country is executing plenty of people.
Hate the death penalty but how does that rack up per annum by head of population, do those in Saudi Arabia get a fair trial and leave to make multiple appeals? ... Not all American states have the death penalty either. The US trend is also coming down

The American stats work out to around 1 per week, almost certainly guilty of murder, mass murder, themselves. How many of those executed by the Saudi's were for murder or even rape? How many do the Saudi's execute weekly? Saudi has around 10% of the US popualation so a factor of ten must be applied for consistency. Comparatively 40 a week?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

weasel wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:11 am 1532 people executed in the USA since 1976 through the death penalty.

In that time, the family of the Newcastle owners have executed people by stoning, beheading, hanging etc., in public, for crimes like homosexuality and adultery. And frequently following torture to extract confessions. Furthermore, no club is owned by the USA, while clubs have American owners it's not like they run the country and oversee the death penalty.