Costa and Roberts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Costa and Roberts

Post by Cjay »

It's absolutely ridiculous that our substitutions are so predictable.

These 2.

It doesn't matter who is on our bench Costa and Roberts/ Roberts and Costa will come on.

I can't for the life of me understand why it never changes, it drives me mad.

Why not Greenwood today?

Why not Summervillle?

Can anyone remember the last time these 2 players came on and actually changed a game? Genuinely, I don't even mean scored or assisted I just mean made a real difference?

At most you may think of 1 or 2 at a push and yet they are guaranteed practically every week to be 2 of our 3 subs.

It's a awful indication of our weak squad but it's also a really bad indicator of one of MB's most frustrating quirks, his pecking order
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Costa and Roberts

Post by billysboots »

Like many on here I share your frustration about these two in particular.
We assume it means he doesn’t trust the younger players.
Has he asked for them to be replaced?
The seeming lack of activity is what is rankling everyone.
There Is Only One United.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:02 pm It's absolutely ridiculous that our substitutions are so predictable.

These 2.

It doesn't matter who is on our bench Costa and Roberts/ Roberts and Costa will come on.

Why not Greenwood today?

Why not Summervillle?

Can anyone remember the last time these 2 players came on and actually changed a game? Genuinely, I don't even mean scored or assisted I just mean made a real difference?

At most you may think of 1 or 2 at a push and yet they are guaranteed practically every week to be 2 of our 3 subs.

It's a awful indication of our weak squad but it's also a really bad indicator of one of MB's most frustrating quirks, his pecking order
Correct Cjay, and it a bit more predictable news for you, them two will be starting against Crewe :shock:

Klaesson
Drameh
Cresswell
Moore
Firpo, if he's fit enough
Forshaw
Shackleton
Roberts
Poveda
Costa
Greenwood

That should guarantee we get knocked out in the first match, rinse and repeat in January for our one match FA Cup "journey".

They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Well we've landed up twice at Old Trafford without a midfield, and Costa n Roberts come off the bench every week and the result is the same :lol:
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

yeah crap, unfortunately we dont have the money to buy players, because those 2 should not even be on the bench if we had 2 quality midfielders then klich and rodrigo would be the 2 names on the bench to come on. but costa and roberts are proven diabolical
Last edited by Scoobychief on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

MB at his most frustrating. Pick a s**t team to face one of the league's best and then try the same old same old in terms of subs. The game was gone by 60 mins so there was an opportunity to try out some youngsters but he passed on that as well. I'd be well pissed off if I was never given a chance when all around are floundering.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

billysboots wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:12 pm Like many on here I share your frustration about these two in particular.
We assume it means he doesn’t trust the younger players.
Has he asked for them to be replaced?
The seeming lack of activity is what is rankling everyone.
Not everyone BB, some will still be happy clapping even after a second pasting in a row at OT ;-)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Eventually Greenwood, Gelhardt and Summerville will have enough and want out. And rightly so.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

i was just thinking about Gelhardt and if he doesnt get a run this year then its odds on he will be sold off either in janaury or next summer. surely the said guy has got to be worth more of a shot that roberts and costa ffs
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

I'd rather see Bogusz on the bench than Roberts, mystifying.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

KP is held up as the poster child of MB being able to successfully mold players into other positions, which is fair enough.

But in three seasons out of all the candidates he's had to mold into a position that is unnatural to them can anyone name another first team success story?

Dallas maybe, but I can't think of another.

So maybe this perception that everyone is interchangeable and slots in seamlessly anywhere, is just a misconception?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:02 pm It's absolutely ridiculous that our substitutions are so predictable.

These 2.

Why not Greenwood today?

Why not Summervillle?

Exactly what ive been saying for 2 reasons, theres no hope for either, and, long term will cost bielsa one way or another, fans arent stupid so why treat us like we are ?
The young uns will go elsewhere, look at the young lad who went to palace from chelsea, because he'll get game time and vierra told him so, if costa and roberts got on instead of me I'd be banging bielsa door down with a can of corned beef.
Bielsa's arrogance does my crust in, same players with NO plan B, infact today there was no plan A, phillips and firpo on bench !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

If they were horses they would be pritt stick by now. Could get 15-20 mill for the pair and use that to get a decent centre midfielder.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Despite not being one of Robert's biggest fans I though he did well today when he came on. Costa is so short of confidence but there is a decent player there. My guessing with Bielsa is that he didn't want to bring on the youngsters and make the scoreline even worse.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:16 pm Despite not being one of Robert's biggest fans I though he did well today when he came on. Costa is so short of confidence but there is a decent player there. My guessing with Bielsa is that he didn't want to bring on the youngsters and make the scoreline even worse.
Relatively speaking he did ok compared to the norm i guess.

Not sure about the not bringing them on to protect them thing, i dont think he rates them.

Many u23 made the bench last season, it was purely to make up the numbers it seemed as our subs are frustratingly predictable.
Signed

King Cjay

Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

weasel wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:16 pm Despite not being one of Robert's biggest fans I though he did well today when he came on. Costa is so short of confidence but there is a decent player there. My guessing with Bielsa is that he didn't want to bring on the youngsters and make the scoreline even worse.

I agree with that Weasel - what would that do for the confidence of one of the younger players. The game had already gone, in effect it was damage limitation.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 pm Exactly what ive been saying for 2 reasons, theres no hope for either, and, long term will cost bielsa one way or another, fans arent stupid so why treat us like we are ?
The young uns will go elsewhere, look at the young lad who went to palace from chelsea, because he'll get game time and vierra told him so, if costa and roberts got on instead of me I'd be banging bielsa door down with a can of corned beef.
Bielsa's arrogance does my crust in, same players with NO plan B, infact today there was no plan A, phillips and firpo on bench !!
MB has his faults no doubt, very grateful for what he has done however.

That being said i think we require a bit of a rebuild.

Many of our Championship stalwarts are 30 or pushing it and its one of fhe hardest things to do, rebuild.

Does MB have that in him?

Can he bring himself to make the tough decisions?

He made 1 successful team that won promotion the best managers know when to start the process of phasing out one era for another.

Can MB do that or is he to welded to his old guard hence why things like predictable subs occur?
Signed

King Cjay

Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Am I right in thinking that Leeds don't want to gamble by spending liberally in search of success, when failure could mean a repeat of relegation followed by administration?

I believe that Radz business model is to mold existing young players into first team starters, rather than risking the big spend and the financial risks this could incur.

At the moment the future looks secure for Leeds United, but frustrating for it's fanbase. Will it be another year of over achieving or will the squads depth be cruelly exposed by ruthless strikers, prompting the board to contemplate opening that chequebook?
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Broad Ford wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:36 pm Am I right in thinking that Leeds don't want to gamble by spending liberally in search of success, when failure could mean a repeat of relegation followed by administration?

I believe that Radz business model is to mold existing young players into first team starters, rather than risking the big spend and the financial risks this could incur.

At the moment the future looks secure for Leeds United, but frustrating for it's fanbase. Will it be another year of over achieving or will the squads depth be cruelly exposed by ruthless strikers, prompting the board to contemplate opening that chequebook?
Costa and Roberts must be his love children.

In regards to Radz, if he doesn't have the means to seriously invest, then he needs to consider selling up. I am sure there are a number of interested parties (Radz said so himself) wanting to buy the club.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Both of them don't score goals & provide few assists

Roberts goals were v a poor Southampton side, 1/27 in the prem, his other seven goals were against QPR, Charlton, Preston & relegated Hull City, not great by any means.

I can't bring myself to discuss Costa anymore :(
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:45 pm Not sure about the not bringing them on to protect them thing, i dont think he rates them.

Many u23 made the bench last season, it was purely to make up the numbers it seemed as our subs are frustratingly predictable.
There could be that of course. I think we do tend to overhype our young players but out of the ones that have left, with MB's blessing, in the last few years none have proved MB wrong. I would say though that if they are good enough MB would use them.