Is anybody happy?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Is anybody happy?

Post by Irish Ian »

Just asking.

1.Bielsa doesn't trust the kiddies but we do. Because we know more than the manager who spends more time monitoring them than we do. We wont know until we try it is said. Lose a few games znd we are screaming for their heads and blaming tbe manager.

2.Club wont spend money (even though it has more than a squad to fund, like trying to bring Elland road up to Prem level, and at the same time spent £130m in two summers on new players)

3.Squad is stagnating, despite the fact that when this team hit its straps last Springtime we really hard to live with.

4.We haven't a proper creative player in the middle. (Done ok in the meantime) On this I wonder how many actually watch the game, not just watch where the ball goes. (Try and find a really creative cente mid who will run and run, press, tackle back, go man to man. Trigger the press. The last one asked to do it was Saiz and he cried and went back home) Those players are rarer than hens teeth. Klich is the closest we have to it.

5. Elland Road sold out again. We must be crap noone wants to come.

Its like the Israellites wanting to back go back to Egypt reading some of this stuff.

I know anxiety is written into the Dna of every footie fan and yes we have some donkeys in the squad but they are our donkeys for better or worse.

No need to reply

Rant over.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Is anybody happy?

Post by Cjay »

1.Bielsa doesn't trust the kiddies but we do. Because we know more than the manager who spends more time monitoring them than we do. We wont know until we try it is said. Lose a few games znd we are screaming for their heads and blaming tbe manager.

I dont have a massive issue with MB not using the kids. As you say he should know whether they are good enough or not. That being said if they arent worth a go over long term and vastly underperforming players like Costa then we have a problem because our squad is small as it is. If MB truly rates none of them much which it seems likely is the case then we have a first team squad of about 15-18 which is miniscule. That is my concern thats all. Dont think anyone is screaming for heads but performances have been poor all pre season and all of this season so far, that will cause concern, understandable imo.

2.Club wont spend money (even though it has more than a squad to fund, like trying to bring Elland road up to Prem level, and at the same time spent £130m in two summers on new players)

Facilities and what not arent counted towards ffp, they are exempt. We have huge financial backing on the board and frankly paying for required facility improvements is expected and earns no credit imo, its what owners have to do at the elite level. As for the £120mil again that is what you have to do at the top level and if the club wanted they can spend alot more with ffp relaxed totally this season. Bielsa wanted 3 positions filled, this is clear ( winger , midfielder, left back). As it stands we have got 1 of 3, that in anyones book is a failure, a 1 in 3 target success rate in any walk of life would be considered poor, i dont think that is unfair to say.

3.Squad is stagnating, despite the fact that when this team hit its straps last Springtime we really hard to live with.

We did very well last season but i am very uncomfortable using that as a prediction or a barometer. This season is different, fans back, pressure is different, 2nd season is traditionally harder, my own concerns about cycles which i wont bore anyone with again, i firmly believe the squad needed far more change, just my view.

4.We haven't a proper creative player in the middle. (Done ok in the meantime) On this I wonder how many actually watch the game, not just watch where the ball goes. (Try and find a really creative cente mid who will run and run, press, tackle back, go man to man. Trigger the press. The last one asked to do it was Saiz and he cried and went back home) Those players are rarer than hens teeth. Klich is the closest we have to it.

Bielsa wants a midfielder and he himself has spoken about our creative issues many times including vs Everton. Personally i think our lack of creativity through the middle is obvious, look at assist stats last season centrally vs wingers for example. Whether we would be a better team who knows but its definitely an area where we arent stocked at all and hand on heart take Raph out of this team and where does the creativity come from?

Its like the Israellites wanting to back go back to Egypt reading some of this stuff.

I know anxiety is written into the Dna of every footie fan and yes we have some donkeys in the squad but they are our donkeys for better or worse.

No need to single out Costa and Roberts like that, bless our 2 donkeys :)

I get people get frustrated etc, people rightfully point out the last 15odd years have been s**t and we should just be grateful now.

But at the same time people see our performances, they see the clear weaknesses in the squad and the failures in the market which arent rantings of madmen but facts (Bielsa said as much the other day about ideally wanting new players) and they panic.

As we all know, you are never to good to go down, last season is done and we are as likely to go back down as anyone so people panic.

I think the lacklustre performances in pre season till now combined with the realisation that the transfer window probably wont be the ambition driven push we hoped for had created much anxiety.

A commanding performance vs Burnley and even a glimmer of hope on the transfer front wiuld go a long way to calming nerves i am sure.

Getting battered by Manure in game 1was the last thing we all needed tbh.

I am still hopeful despite my own anxiety driven raving :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:31 am 1.Bielsa doesn't trust the kiddies but we do. Because we know more than the manager who spends more time monitoring them than we do. We wont know until we try it is said. Lose a few games znd we are screaming for their heads and blaming tbe manager.

I dont have a massive issue with MB not using the kids. As you say he should know whether they are good enough or not. That being said if they arent worth a go over long term and vastly underperforming players like Costa then we have a problem because our squad is small as it is. If MB truly rates none of them much which it seems likely is the case then we have a first team squad of about 15-18 which is miniscule. That is my concern thats all. Dont think anyone is screaming for heads but performances have been poor all pre season and all of this season so far, that will cause concern, understandable imo.

Facilities and what not arent counted towards ffp, they are exempt. We have huge financial backing on the board and frankly paying for required facility improvements is expected and earns no credit imo, its what owners have to do at the elite level. As for the £120mil again that is what you have to do at the top level and if the club wanted they can spend alot more with ffp relaxed totally this season. Bielsa wanted 3 positions filled, this is clear ( winger , midfielder, left back). As it stands we have got 1 of 3, that in anyones book is a failure, a 1 in 3 target success rate in any walk of life would be considered poor, i dont think that is unfair to say.

We did very well last season but i am very uncomfortable using that as a prediction or a barometer. This season is different, fans back, pressure is different, 2nd season is traditionally harder, my own concerns about cycles which i wont bore anyone with again, i firmly believe the squad needed far more change, just my view.

Bielsa wants a midfielder and he himself has spoken about our creative issues many times including vs Everton. Personally i think our lack of creativity through the middle is obvious, look at assist stats last season centrally vs wingers for example. Whether we would be a better team who knows but its definitely an area where we arent stocked at all and hand on heart take Raph out of this team and where does the creativity come from?

I get people get frustrated etc, people rightfully point out the last 15odd years have been s**t and we should just be grateful now.

But at the same time people see our performances, they see the clear weaknesses in the squad and the failures in the market which arent rantings of madmen but facts (Bielsa said as much the other day about ideally wanting new players) and they panic.

As we all know, you are never to good to go down, last season is done and we are as likely to go back down as anyone so people panic.

I think the lacklustre performances in pre season till now combined with the realisation that the transfer window probably wont be the ambition driven push we hoped for had created much anxiety.

A commanding performance vs Burnley and even a glimmer of hope on the transfer front wiuld go a long way to calming nerves i am sure.

Nail on the head 👏👏
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

We're already a point better off than last season from the 2 fixtures we've faced. And managed to get past the first round of the League Cup. So of course I'm happy.

I don't think it can be sustained, last season was a miracle and expect us to slip back a little. Starting this weekend, Leeds beat Burnley away when their safety was secured last season, Dyche will know they need something this weekend or it will be an awful start...
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

I'll be happy when we collect our first 3 points, our first league win of the season. Lets hope the Crew victory is the first of a succession of victories continuing at Burnley.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:38 pm Just asking.

No need to reply

Rant over.
I'm very happy,
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

OiOi Billy Beerguts 'ere couse I'm 'appy like a pig in shite I am.
Lovin' it mate, smashed Crewe free nuffink, old Jackie boy wif a brace.
Big ups to Lord Bamford, laid it on a plate for 'im.

That bird on the telly Sue whatshername was saying Jackie boy was piss poor
two bloody goals and she's 'aving a winge. Toyed wif them we did, like a cat
playing wif a ball of wool, teased them, tired them out, an wen they wos dead
on their legs put free past them.

Good runout for the boys, a practice session really, knocked the ball around,
practiced the old one two tricky tak passing for 75 minutes, put in over 500 passes
then put on the old turbo boost, bit of the old nitro in the tank, and down the wings
like shite off a hot shovel, and Bob's your uncle and Nelly's your aunt, couple of crackers
in the back of the net.

Pisses me right off to listen to the moans on 'ere. Seems to me we can't even celebrate a
victory but instead find sumfink to nitpick. Victories are like a juicy bone to a dog, you need
to suck the marrow out of it and enjoy. Let them eat gruel who do nuffink but complain.
Let them feed the same miserable diet to their friends. Let them sup up on their reality
And see if it gives nourishment and sustainance. Give me a tbone victory to get my teeth into any day

Bielsa is 'aving a larf mate. 'e knows we need a ginga in the team, and that why 'es brought
in old Forshaw, just to remind us of king Billy and wee Gordon and the glory days.
That man knows 'is 'istory, it's a subliminal message mate. Inscrutable mind games.
Let others get their knickers in a twist about budgets and transfers, 'e knows that there
are more important things like playing a redhead in the midfield. That will have cosmic consequences that are completely hidden from your normal numpty.

Awl right!?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Leeds, like Bielsa himself, may become a victim of our own success. But in the end it's not like a few peoples' opinions on a forum or social media actually matter. Most if not all (my own included) are from a position of ignorance. All we have to go on are our own limited impressions and the small scraps of information we can glean from sources that aren't even reliable. We share our thoughts and opinions but ultimately, that's all they are.

What really matters is the ER crowd, the swelling of emotion and colour of the chants they cry. This is why having the fans back is so important, because it takes a lot to exhaust their patience to the point they let the club know they're not happy, and until then they have the team's back and will always give them 100% of their support. You only need to be concerned at folk not being happy when boos ring out across ER.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:31 am 1.Bielsa doesn't trust the kiddies but we do. Because we know more than the manager who spends more time monitoring them than we do. We wont know until we try it is said. Lose a few games znd we are screaming for their heads and blaming tbe manager.

As always I'm in complete agreement with you Cjay, and this is a very good summary of our current status :clap:

This summer Radz and co had the opportunity to build on the foundations we've established in the EPL, and for whatever reasons they've scorned that opportunity.

We will find form and start playing again, and picking up points, so I'm not worried at all about relegation, but I believe we should be more ambitious than just surviving. Clubs like Newcastle, Palace, BHA, Burnley, etc, are content to do that and that's their choice, but I'd be very surprised if the majority of our fanbase will be content with just survival.

All the weaknesses and failings of last season are still present, KP's unavailable and we've no cover, three of our four CBs are injury prone, so we could frequently be back to KP, or Ayling covering at CB, our defending and tracking back can be shocking at times, e.g. Old Trafford two seasons in a row, we lack a creative midfielder, so the attacking play lacks cohesion. This is all old news, but hasn't been addressed.

I don't believe that there's a dearth of creative midfielders on the planet, I just think that we're not prepared to recruit one of them.

So, because we haven't addressed the squad inadequacies, we'll do well to tread water this season, and if we pick up injuries/suspensions we'll be finishing lower than we did last season.

I think if you don't look to continually improve at this level then you're dead in the water, so I'm not happy that we've missed the opportunity to improve and progress and I believe this will set us further back behind the top six going forward.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:36 amI'm very happy,
#MeToo
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

White Riot wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:04 am I think if you don't look to continually improve at this level then you're dead in the water, so I'm not happy that we've missed the opportunity to improve and progress and I believe this will set us further back behind the top six going forward.
As I keep seeing this "if you don't keep looking to improve by buying, you go backwards". And I think of teams like Leicester and Southampton that keep selling their best players and seem to get by, Brentford have gone higher than ever before on that model. Meanwhile clubs like Arsenal and Everton that spend big money go nowhere.

Excluding the multi billionaire owner clubs, where finances are not linked to reality, are there, say, 5 teams that continue to improve by a constant buying and moving up the table?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I am happy, in the main. The club I've supported for nearly 50 years is in the Prem, we have a sensibly progressive management hierarchy in place and we have arguably the greatest coach in modern football at the helm. I am a little concerned re the squad and particularly the lack of creativity (I don't think many would argue that we don't need a Hernandez/Saiz replacement), but I also recognise that we spent a fair whack of cash last year as a newly promoted club (and yes, I know we needed to) and the lack of revenue will have had an impact (worth noting the general lack of summer spending bar those whose owners have bottomless pockets or who sold their crown jewel(s)). As Cjay said, the result against scum on the back of a shakey pre-season set some alarm bells ringing but, like it or not, those bastards are light years ahead of us. We will be alright this season, of that I'm sure, but we may not scale the heights we did in what was a unique and one-off season last year. My faith is unshaken, though I can't deny the arrival of a sexy midfield baller would cement it even further!!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1. If the u23s aren't good enough, stop buying so many of them then. Otherwise it's just a waste of money. It's also concerning to me that we seem incapable of developing our own players anymore.
2. We can't rely on 15 players for an entire season. We are lacking creativity and are too open in CM. All I asked for was a winger and a CM, hardly demanding Mbappe.
3. Most of the squad are late 20s/early 30s who have been playing at that intensity for 4 years now. They will get tired eventually, Klich did. Which is concerning given how small the squad is. Also there is the worry that we will need a massive overhaul at once, which is why it's important to blood young players in the first team.
4. There is a lack of goals and assists from the centre, Roberts isn't the answer, and it's unfair to expect Raph to do all the heavy lifting.
5. Well done to the fans, but why do we have to open our coffers all the time and are expected to pay so much. What do the owners put into the club?

Right, rant over. Yes I'm happy we took the cup seriously for a change and hopefully we can have a cup run. But saying that, there are concerns there that need to be addressed.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:17 am#MeToo
imaginary like button clicked
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never a waste of money to invest in the U23's ... I know most are gung ho in wanting them playing in the first 11 but in a well run club it doesn't work that way and we are a well run club. We're playing for the second tier title against the likes of Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Villa. We're nowhere near a top 4 run

Ship is still on course. Skill player? We may not have a skill #10 and haven't had since Saiz but I don't recall having a skill player like Raphinha in many a long year on one of our wings. So we still have that skill player on staff and can afford for the 10 to be a little less creative. Jack, Klich, Roberts and Phillips can all play those killer balls. Dallas makes great runs from midfield, a massively under rated player STILL... Absolutely top prem class.

Age is relative, Tom Brady is still playing top class sport at 40 plus, never gets injured in the world most violent team sport. Lewandowski is still a core player in Munich, 33 atm and set to be still key till he's 35 plus.

I'd imagine most supporters on all teams feel their club should be doing more to address issues, I know there were some Man City fans bemoaning something or other on talksport the other day
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 am 1. If the u23s aren't good enough, stop buying so many of them then. Otherwise it's just a waste of money. It's also concerning to me that we seem incapable of developing our own players anymore.
2. We can't rely on 15 players for an entire season. We are lacking creativity and are too open in CM. All I asked for was a winger and a CM, hardly demanding Mbappe.
3. Most of the squad are late 20s/early 30s who have been playing at that intensity for 4 years now. They will get tired eventually, Klich did. Which is concerning given how small the squad is. Also there is the worry that we will need a massive overhaul at once, which is why it's important to blood young players in the first team.
4. There is a lack of goals and assists from the centre, Roberts isn't the answer, and it's unfair to expect Raph to do all the heavy lifting.
5. Well done to the fans, but why do we have to open our coffers all the time and are expected to pay so much. What do the owners put into the club?

Right, rant over. Yes I'm happy we took the cup seriously for a change and hopefully we can have a cup run. But saying that, there are concerns there that need to be addressed.
Best post Ive read for a long time, I dont think its a rant either, just pure common sense from a concerned supporter who has a right to be concerned about the club he loves.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm relatively happy thank you.

Yes I share similar concerns as others but we have come a long way in a short space of time since the dark days of poor management stuck in the championship & League One.

Still think we require one more class attacking player this summer, unfortunately I can't see it happening.

How can you not love the likes of Meslier, Ayling, Llorente, Struijk, Phillips, Klich, Dallas, Bamford & Harrison (Jack has grown on me). Hopefully Firpo will have the same effect on me once he settles in at Leeds.

For all his Marcelo's eccentricities I for one love the man, we have to trust his judgement even though he has made errors in the past, he is human after all. Bielsa has got much more right than wrong, we are in safe hands with Marcelo as our coach.
catamaran
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @dayssincemanu

Post by catamaran »

Things are surely the most promising than they have been for years? Granted the start of this year was dire, but come on - things are looking good!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

catamaran wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:12 am Things are surely the most promising than they have been for years? Granted the start of this year was dire, but come on - things are looking good!
Welcome to MOT Catamaran :tup:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm happy.
Yes, the squad could have a bit more strength in depth but the current one is still better than at least half the teams in the PL. We were well beaten by a team will finish top 4 again and we drew with a team in that second group of teams battling for a Europa League placing.
There will probably be some more poor performances resulting in defeats and I'll sulk for a few days afterwards but there will some good wins as well and all will be well in my world once again.
I firmly believe that at least one of the U23's will become a regular squad member and make several appearances before the end of the season. Similar to what Shackleton does now.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden