Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by AylingFlop »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:45 am Bielsa was definitely the Imp. He would of hated being a Beemer. Marsch is one of those giant things. Forget the name. Hummer I think
Hummer. Based on the military Humvee. I remember seeing Schwarzenegger driving one when he was Governor of California. You’d build up the debt of a third world country trying to fill one with petrol now.
Last edited by AylingFlop on Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

What has Jesse done wrong so far to write him off after twelve matches & the pre-season friendlies?

He kept us up imo!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

AylingFlop wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:49 am Hummer. Based on the military Humvee. I remember seeing Schwarzenegger driving one when he was Governor of California. You’d build up the debt of a third world country trying to fill one with petrol now.
I’m very frightened of petrol stations.
The yanks have a name for it - Aerostatiophobia :lol: I kid you not
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by AylingFlop »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 am What has Jesse done wrong so far to write him off after twelve matches & the pre-season friendlies?

He kept us up imo!
I agree. I was & am a massive fan of Bielsa, but it was clear long before Christmas that the man-marking system had been well & truly rumbled by every opposition manager. Bielsa just didn’t seem to be willing to change & although we didn’t win many under Marsch I think we ended up with more points than we would’ve if the change hadn’t been made.

I’ve got big concerns we’re going to be exposed, but let’s see the situation after the first 5/6 games before concluding Marsch & his tactics are a disaster.
Last edited by AylingFlop on Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 am What has Jesse done wrong so far to write him off after twelve matches & the pre-season friendlies?

He kept us up imo!
Noooooooooo Leon. Don’t do it. Oh too late.
I’ve not written him off. Not at all. 8 games in and we’ll know. That’s my prediction
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AylingFlop wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:57 am I agree. I was & am a massive fan of Bielsa, but it was clear long before Christmas that the man-marking system had been well & truly rumbled by every opposition manager. Bielsa just didn’t seem to be willing to change & although we didn’t win many under Marsch I think we ended up with more points than we would’ve if the change hadn’t been made.

I’ve got big concerns we’re going to be exposed, but let’s see the situation after the first 5/6 games before concluding Marsch & his tactics are a disaster.
I share the same concerns, Flop.

Both Marcelo & Jesse play high-risk football, which leaves a team vulnerable at the back, as proven for much of last season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Christ, I'm not a Marsch fan but he'll do a job imo.... not worried in the slightest
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Not going to get excited by the latest rumored bid for Kalimuendo, but he does seem like the perfect fit for us.

Interesting stat from Leeds Live:
The young Frenchman has spent the last two years on loan at Lens and his tally of 12 in the 2021/22 campaign has seen him win suitors from across the continent. In fact, Kalimuendo was the top scorer of any player under the age of 20 in Europe’s top five leagues last season.
A bid of 20m Euros is rather modest for a player who looks like a future French international.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm not convinced by Marsch either, and I think we'll hover around the bottom 6/8 all season. But I do think he'll have enough about him to keep us up comfortably, we might even surprise a few teams. We'll have a fair idea half a dozen games in, I reckon. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sacked if we're bottom 3 come the WC break, management will see a repeat of last season and panic.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:59 pm I'm not convinced by Marsch either, and I think we'll hover around the bottom 6/8 all season. But I do think he'll have enough about him to keep us up comfortably, we might even surprise a few teams. We'll have a fair idea half a dozen games in, I reckon. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sacked if we're bottom 3 come the WC break, management will see a repeat of last season and panic.
Instead of being "not convinced" after minimal games, a depleted squad, that didn't fit his preferred tactical approach, avoinding relegation, and averaging more points per game than Bielsa. Let's just be a little more optimistic and see what he can do when he has had time to reshape things. You might be surprised. I want us to be surprised. We shouldn't even be talking about "maybe he'll be gone. Let's see. And if things don't go to plan, we can entertain such ideas later.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

I don't want to tempt fate, but up to now I have been impressed with Marsch and Raz and Orta during the Summer window. We dug a big hole for ourselves last winter by not recruiting, but knowing we were going to lose our best two players, I think we have brought in some excellent players and tied our best youngsters on long term contracts. We have also started to cut away the deadwood from the squad. Of course we still need a striker and a LB, and no one knows how the new players will fare in the Premiership, but I think the Management have pretty much done as much as I could have hoped for.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm Instead of being "not convinced" after minimal games, a depleted squad, that didn't fit his preferred tactical approach, avoinding relegation, and averaging more points per game than Bielsa. Let's just be a little more optimistic and see what he can do when he has had time to reshape things. You might be surprised. I want us to be surprised. We shouldn't even be talking about "maybe he'll be gone. Let's see. And if things don't go to plan, we can entertain such ideas later.
It's not so much JM, Andrew, I like him, but more his system and how exposed if potentially leaves us. Particularly out wide. Even against a poor Calgiari side, we were caught out and better Prem teams will punish that. I certainly hope he isn't sacked, as that will mean we're doing ok, and I want him and us to thrive. I want us to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think it's negative to be worried how the formation will stand up in the Prem.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Anyone remember that film about the woman that won the pools coupon.

Was it 'Spend, spend, spend '.......or 'buy, buy, buy'

I can't remember which, but it pretty much sums up how i feeling, i'm sure the film didn't end well.

On a sidenote and with Wolves looming, i was thinking back to Berts first Prem match v Lpool, like this now i was scared to death we'd get thrashed, i think he started with virtually the same League 1 class gash players and i was even more worried, oh how wrong i was and i hope Jesse has me feeling the same after Wolves.

I think Klopp uttered 'WOW'
And i picked my jaw up from the floor for the umpteenth time, happy days, gone but never forgotten.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 am Anyone remember that film about the woman that won the pools coupon.

Was it 'Spend, spend, spend '.......or 'buy, buy, buy'
Viv Nicholson
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:45 am Bielsa was definitely the Imp. He would of hated being a Beemer. Marsch is one of those giant things. Forget the name. Hummer I think
I stand corrected and perhaps should've used...Allegro v Aston Martin.

It's not so much what Jesses done wrong.

The Wolves are at the door.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 am
I was thinking back to Berts first Prem match v Lpool,
We still lost that match though I remember! I’m thinking back to Bielsa’s last 2 games v Lpool where we managed to lose by an aggregate of 9-0, not very happy days - boring Ken, just let it go!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm pretty sure you just actually kept the ball rolling, i was simply reminiscing.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

My true feelings atm as Wolves approaches are probably 50/50, a good bit of me is fearing a thrashing like that 2-0 first half, but the other half is thinking if all comes together on the day, we might just beat them like 2-0, which would be mega pleasing if it's been a good all round team performance, which is the most important thing i'm watching out for - The team gelling and playing as an actual team.

Throw in a couple of outstanding performances from say - Aaronson, Roca and Adams and i'll be bashing the Bishop till tuesday.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 am I stand corrected and perhaps should've used...Allegro v Aston Martin.

It's not so much what Jesses done wrong.

The Wolves are at the door.
Bielsa was an Imp. Eccentric. Did his own thing. Looks can be deceiving.
Wolves have no teeth atm
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Nobody likes to reminisce more than I do but there are appropriate times and topics on which to do so. You mention “Bert” on just about every post you make - you have a one track mind and it’s very boring. I’m just trying to bring you up to date, move you on, Bielsa has gone, Marsch is our new man - get up to speed man!