Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Rodrigo

Post by mentalcase »

Looks like he's here to stay and a first 11 pick, at least he's scoring, keep it up son.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Never in any doubt about his ability but Bielsa didn’t use him effectively, seeing him further forward rather than running from deep he’s like a different player. This is a Bielsa square peg round hole issue. Rodri is a centre forward not a CAM. Give him a free role like a Sheringham or Letissier or Baggio.
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

joelufc20 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 am Never in any doubt about his ability but Bielsa didn’t use him effectively, seeing him further forward rather than running from deep he’s like a different player. This is a Bielsa square peg round hole issue. Rodri is a centre forward not a CAM. Give him a free role like a Sheringham or Letissier or Baggio.
Square pegs generally don't work as was the case last season, clubs need a proper squad to sustain their place in the Premier League.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

By far the bright spot of the opening two games, predatory instincts in front of goal

Keep it up sir.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It's his last chance to go to a World Cup, so he will be motivated in the early season, which can only benefit us.

I think he's been our best player under Marsch, with Harrison closely behind.
Last edited by SG90 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:35 pm Deserves credit today.

He created a few chances and he scored two goals.

Can't ask for more.

Needs to keep this up.

His first touch though is still absolutely dreadful at times for a player of his standing. :)
Still better than Paddy's tbf. One appalling mis-control yesterday for which I docked him a whole point as it was in a great position, but how many times did Raph let the ball slip a couple of feet from his foot?

Does look like he's taking on more responsibility, coming out of Raph's shadow a little, stepped up as captain... But he's always made these clever runs, attempted the clever pass often finding it's recipient on a different page.

I think going forward we have enough to give most teams a game, which is all you can say for the middle of the division anyway. We still have Sinisterra to unwrap who can play anywhere across the front 6. Harrison has started well.

Bamford probably looks as sharp as he ever has been, just needs to get the niggles out, hopefully it's just a slight mental issue. To this day I still get worried when I get a twinge in my shoulder and rest it straight away for a few days
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Seems to be enjoying his football now under JM.
Like most forwards he is a confidence player and at the minute looks full of it.
Been the surprise package so far for me and looks a completely different player to the one from last season.
If he keeps this up he should end up with around 15 goals this season which would go a long way to ensure that we consolidate our position in the PL.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

As above confidence is massive in anything you do football included.
Looks full of it at the moment and long may it continue.
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cumbriarents »

You could see after March came in last season he was a different player, sometimes it takes a certain manager to get the best out of some players. Glad I picked him in my fantasy team
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Wow.

Last post two years ago?

Cant be right.

In any case Rod makes Garth Brooke's team of the week and earns a write up in the guardian.

Enjoy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62544657

https://www.theguardian.com/football/wh ... ng-options
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

For me Rodrigo is the best option to start at the #9 position. And it's his best position. Particularly in Jesse's preferred 4-2-3-1. I also think he has earned the spot.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:30 pm Wow.

Last post two years ago?

Cant be right.

In any case Rod makes Garth Brooke's team of the week and earns a write up in the guardian.

Enjoy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62544657

https://www.theguardian.com/football/wh ... ng-options
First line in the Guardian article

"Leeds spent £47m on two new forwards this summer but their goals are coming from an unexpected source"

yep
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Rodrigo is a pretty solid 3rd option to play the No.9. That is assuming he's the the 3rd and Dan James is the 4th. With that, why should we bring in some s**t 2nd rate back up. Everyone is clamoring for us to buy a striker. Easier said than done. Someone better than Rodrigo who played No.9 for Spain?

That's why the club keep saying they're looking but it has to be the right deal. All the names I've been hearing on the forums and clickbait aren't better than Rodrigo. De Kettle looked good. Kalimuendo wasn't at that level. And clearly didn't want to come here to be the 4th option.

We're not going to splash 60 million on a world class striker. Even if we did, Fernando Torres and Andy Carrol show there are no guarantees. We're looking for someone thats below our best 3 No.9's and and slightly ahead of Matteo Joseph and Sonny Perkins. It probably won't happen. But that doesn't mean we should be wasting money on the next Jean Kevin Augustin. Not when we've got Bamford, Gelhardt, and Rodrigo that can all do a solid job.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:41 am Rodrigo is a pretty solid 3rd option to play the No.9. That is assuming he's the the 3rd and Dan James is the 4th. With that, why should we bring in some s**t 2nd rate back up. Everyone is clamoring for us to buy a striker. Easier said than done. Someone better than Rodrigo who played No.9 for Spain?

That's why the club keep saying they're looking but it has to be the right deal. All the names I've been hearing on the forums and clickbait aren't better than Rodrigo. De Kettle looked good. Kalimuendo wasn't at that level. And clearly didn't want to come here to be the 4th option.

We're not going to splash 60 million on a world class striker. Even if we did, Fernando Torres and Andy Carrol show there are no guarantees. We're looking for someone thats below our best 3 No.9's and and slightly ahead of Matteo Joseph and Sonny Perkins. It probably won't happen. But that doesn't mean we should be wasting money on the next Jean Kevin Augustin. Not when we've got Bamford, Gelhardt, and Rodrigo that can all do a solid job.
Preach it Brother! I have said his before. The most important element of the recruiting process for Jesse is character. The player MUST have a certain mentality. Or he will simply move on. Most of the names being bandied about are not the type of player that JM wants in his side. As luck would have it he already has at least two of those guys in Rodrigo and Bamford. I don't know Joffy well enough yet....
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:41 am Rodrigo is a pretty solid 3rd option to play the No.9. That is assuming he's the the 3rd and Dan James is the 4th. With that, why should we bring in some s**t 2nd rate back up. Everyone is clamoring for us to buy a striker. Easier said than done. Someone better than Rodrigo who played No.9 for Spain?

Tbf I think people do get carried away with the Rodrigo was Spain number 9.

He wasn't a popular figure with the Spanish fans or media with Luis Enrique seemingly seeing him as some sort of project.

And it isn't like this is the Spain with the depth they had before.

We aren't in the Raul, Fernando Morientes era or the Fernando Torres, David Villa era where Spain had atleast 2 of the best strikers in the world.

Spain aren't blessed with top level strikers atm hence why Rodrigo got a chance.

Personally I think we should be looking for a replacement for Bamford, I don't see why he has some divine right to be a starter?

And also we do need to consider that Bamford is struggling fitness wise and has for the best part of a year.

Do we really want to have a similar scenario to last season?

Rodrigo has had a decent start and maybe the Marsch system suits him more.

But still think we need more

Club clearly feel we need one or why bid for De Ketelaere? You don't go from trying to break your transfer record on an attacking player to, ah no we will be fine surely?

Illogical
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Rodrigo seems a bit of a streaky striker. Think he had a couple of patches under MB where he scored a few and now similar with JM, last season and this.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I like your reasoning here AJS
Only thing is Rodrigo is very hit & miss, so is bamford, JG when not injured is fantastic but we don't know if he'e a line leader, probably not.
Bamford is another frustrating player, good at holding up the ball and chasing down opponents, even better at fluffing gilt edge chances, it seems this is the type of player the last 2 managers want, not an out and out goal scoring predator.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:31 pm I like your reasoning here AJS
Only thing is Rodrigo is very hit & miss, so is bamford, JG when not injured is fantastic but we don't know if he'e a line leader, probably not.
Bamford is another frustrating player, good at holding up the ball and chasing down opponents, even better at fluffing gilt edge chances, it seems this is the type of player the last 2 managers want, not an out and out goal scoring predator.
Totally agree. We are not going to get through a season with a barely fit Bamford and Rodrigo who more often than not is inconsistent. Joffy is still evolving as a player along with his ongoing injury issues. To go through this new campaign without a recognised striker in this league, is asking for it.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Overman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:41 pm Totally agree. We are not going to get through a season with a barely fit Bamford and Rodrigo who more often than not is inconsistent. Joffy is still evolving as a player along with his ongoing injury issues. To go through this new campaign without a recognised striker in this league, is asking for it.
Agree, as I mentioned in my reply to you in the Gnonto thread. We need a striker who can push Bamford and Rodders hard, but also not upset the dressing room by demanding to be first pick week in week out.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rodrigo now looking the player & the reason we paid £27m for him.

Screenshot 2022-08-22 10.55.41.png
Screenshot 2022-08-22 10.55.41.png (50.29 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Screenshot 2022-08-22 11.00.10.png