Lawn Bowls

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Lawn Bowls

Post by 1964white »

For near on twenty years, I've played outdoor bowls for Middleton-on-the-Wolds.

Sadly due to the loss of many members over the years for various reasons, we haven't got enough members to fulfil two of the three of the leagues we compete in, which a real shame for our long-standing bowls club. For now, one of the leaser leagues will continue, one I don't participate in. Currently, we only have 14 members

We have no problem with the Indoors bowls as we seem to be attracting more members from other local clubs every year, membership standing at 60 this season. The Indoor Bowls subsidises the Outdoor game, so at least we still have a club operating seven days a week during the autumn/winter months.

I had a few options to consider where I play outdoor bowls in the future. I approached my pal Billy (he initially got me into bowls) who lives in our village & have signed up to Cranswick Bowls Club on a free of course. Billy, Andy, Janet, Nick all use to play at Middleton in years gone by plus I know many other bowlers down there, so it was an obvious choice imo! Also, they are a progressive club winning many trophies of late with a lovely green, much easier than the Middleton surface which was hard work at times.

Billy's words to me when I signed up, "at last we've got you at Cranswick after many years of asking"

Anyway, I'm over the moon, looking forward to a new challenge after what was a poor outdoor season for me personally & the MOTW club last season.

Can't wait.... :-D

Massive indoor match this afternoon v Jack High from Sledmere Bowls Club. We are just above them in the table, should we beat them for a third time this season, I would think the league title is in the bag. Not counting my chickens yet, as it will no doubt be a nail-biting game!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Re: Free transfer for me!

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 am For near on twenty years, I've played outdoor bowls for Middleton-on-the-Wolds.

Sadly due to the loss of many members over the years for various reasons, we haven't got enough members to fulfil two of the three of the leagues we compete in, which a real shame for our long-standing bowls club. For now, one of the leaser leagues will continue, one I don't participate in. Currently, we only have 14 members

We have no problem with the Indoors bowls as we seem to be attracting more members from other local clubs every year, membership standing at 60 this season. The Indoor Bowls subsidises the Outdoor game, so at least we still have a club operating seven days a week during the autumn/winter months.

I had a few options to consider where I play outdoor bowls in the future. I approached my pal Billy (he initially got me into bowls) who lives in our village & have signed up to Cranswick Bowls Club on a free of course. Billy, Andy, Janet, Nick all use to play at Middleton in years gone by plus I know many other bowlers down there, so it was an obvious choice imo! Also, they are a progressive club winning many trophies of late with a lovely green, much easier than the Middleton surface which was hard work at times.

Billy's words to me when I signed up, "at last we've got you at Cranswick after many years of asking"

Anyway, I'm over the moon, looking forward to a new challenge after what was a poor outdoor season for me personally & the MOTW club last season.

Can't wait.... :-D

Massive indoor match this afternoon v Jack High from Sledmere Bowls Club. We are just above them in the table, should we beat them for a third time this season, I would think the league title is in the bag. No counting my chickens yet, as it will no doubt be a nail-biting game!
Great news 👍🏻
Is it on SKY?
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Good luck buddy !
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:27 am Great news 👍🏻
Is it on SKY?
If it was on SKY, Finn, I'd be worth more than a free transfer :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

velo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:52 am Good luck buddy !
Thanks Velo.

I'm like a cat, I don't enjoy many changes in my life, so this is a nice new venture for me :-D
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 am If it was on SKY, Finn, I'd be worth more than a free transfer :lol:
They say the best things in life are free !
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

I'm sure you'll be happy, the best of both sides of bowls indoors & outdoors.

I'm expecting you bringing home more trophies, during the future summers :)
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Poor outside season you say? Was it your manager insisting on a high press game? Tweaking a fetlock is a frequent injury on that bowling mat.😬
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:16 pm Poor outside season you say? Was it your manager insisting on a high press game? Tweaking a fetlock is a frequent injury on that bowling mat.😬
Or playing square pegs in round holes?
Or were your U23's massively overrated?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:16 pm Poor outside season you say? Was it your manager insisting on a high press game? Tweaking a fetlock is a frequent injury on that bowling mat.😬
Actually I was playing out of my natural position on several occasions, tbh.

We've lost four of our best players over the last two years, which significantly hindered our progress.

Inconsistent performances & far too many humiliating defeats :(
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I played outdoor bowls a couple of times when I lived in Cleethorpes (1979-1981) - quite enjoyed the fresh sea air and gentle exercise.
Much more skill required than on first observation.

Obviously nowhere near your level Leon but I didn't get to play much - I got a promotion to London in 1981 so really never got to do more.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:06 am I played outdoor bowls a couple of times when I lived in Cleethorpes (1979-1981) - quite enjoyed the fresh sea air and gentle exercise.
Much more skill required than on first observation.

Obviously nowhere near your level Leon but I didn't get to play much - I got a promotion to London in 1981 so really never got to do more.
My level last season outdoor dipped dramatically, hoping I can recover my mojo with the new challenge ahead, Norm.

Cracking game yesterday vs three of the best players in our local vicinity, unfortunately we lost 17-16 in a match we should have won when leading 15-10 with three ends to go. Tight at the top now, will be nip & tuck for the title to the very end I suspect

My level rarely dips playing the indoor game.

And yes like any sport, bowls is not easy to master.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Finnatic wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:27 am Great news 👍🏻
Is it on SKY?
Box Office event on PPV at £40 it's a bargain, Sky's satellite has actually melted due to the frenzied interest :?

Press the red button now and watch Leon making his debut :)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Good luck with your new team 64
My dad played bowls for Cornard bowls club for about 25 years and was club secretary during that time. He played for the team that was Suffolk champions on numerous occasions.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 am Good luck with your new team 64
My dad played bowls for Cornard bowls club for about 25 years and was club secretary during that time. He played for the team that was Suffolk champions on numerous occasions.
A good bowler then.

Thanks Chilli :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:52 am Box Office event on PPV at £40 it's a bargain, Sky's satellite has actually melted due to the frenzied interest :?

Press the red button now and watch Leon making his debut :)
Oh, how I wish James.

Played to an audience of about a hundred in a Driffield bowls final once....nerve wracking, mate!
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Will be trying my hand at bowls for the first time ever this spring down at our village team, the Sorbie Senators. (actually I put the word Senators in, it has a nice ring to it, I’m sure they’ll adopt it)
The club sec who invited might regret it though. Any tips?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:07 am Oh, how I wish James.

Played to an audience of about a hundred in a Driffield bowls final once....nerve wracking, mate!
I used to get nervous playing golf and teeing off on the first tee if there were people waiting to tee off behind us :shock:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 pm Will be trying my hand at bowls for the first time ever this spring down at our village team, the Sorbie Senators. (actually I put the word Senators in, it has a nice ring to it, I’m sure they’ll adopt it)
Don't bowl any bouncers at the opposition :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 pm Will be trying my hand at bowls for the first time ever this spring down at our village team, the Sorbie Senators. (actually I put the word Senators in, it has a nice ring to it, I’m sure they’ll adopt it)
You'll be hooked once you've played a few times :)

When is your first practice, OB?