I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

News Article I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Post by YorkshireSquare »

From the very first moment of that first game against Stoke I was captivated by Bielsaball. There had been so much talk, so much hyperbole that summer about Marcelo Bielsa’s arrival in West Yorkshire but that Sunday in August 2018 his philosophy, his vision was clear and it was exciting! His exciting front foot football delivered a joy to Elland Road that had not been seen for years. A mid table Championship side turned into promotion contenders after just one summer. It wasn’t to be that summer but I was desperate for Bielsa to stay, desperate for him to give it another go because I had faith he could take Leeds back to the Premier League after so many years away.

The second season was a joy, one of the best if not the best I have experienced as a Leeds United fan. Sure, there were some nervy moments. Swansea and Barnsley felt like agony, even though we won. But deliver us to the promised land he did, Liam Cooper lifting that same trophy Gordon Strachan and Billy Bremner raised above their heads in the past. The city together behind the club like never before all thanks to Marcelo Bielsa. The country may have been in lockdown, but Leeds was bathed in white, yellow and blue as fans partied on Elland Road and Millennium Square.

We couldn’t have wished for a better first season back in the Premier League, a mid-table finish in our first year back for sixteen years with plenty of high-profile scalps on the way. Kalvin Phillips, an average box to box midfielder converted by Bielsa to one of the best defensive midfielders in the world impressed for England at the Euros. Our Brazilian winger getting his first call up, causing waves back home, build a partnership with Neymar. But it all started to unravel last summer when the teams returned to training.

Pre-season was worrying, victory against Guiseley was about as good as it got. Defeats to Fleetwood, Real Betis and Ajax followed a draw against Blackburn. As part of the Ziggo Sports coverage of the Ajax game Rafael van der Vaart had stern criticism for Leeds, predicting they would be in a relegation battle in the Premier League this season. Turns out he was right! Leeds fans may have railed against any talk of ‘second season syndrome’ but we are well and truly in trouble.

In every other game under Bielsa, no matter who the opposition were, I’ve gone into the game with hope and confidence that we could get something. But Wednesday was the first time I have expected us to lose, and badly. Leeds have now conceded three or more goals in four consecutive league games for the first time since March 1960 and we find ourselves slipping towards the relegation places. As those around us pick up points we flounder seemingly devoid of any ideas to fix our all so obvious defensive issues. If the opposition scored I always had confidence we could get a goal back, now if we score I have every confidence the opposition will score.

Of course, we’ve been troubled by injuries with key players missing but it feels like there are systemic failures, that it only takes one opposition player to beat his man to completely open us up is a grave concern. Have we been worked out? Are we just not performing as well? Is our lack of signings in summer and January costing us dearly? We weren't even playing that well when Phillips was in the side. Whatever the root cause of the issues, Bielsa seems to have no answers for the first time and that is deeply worrying. We may not have expected much from the last two games but a six-nil defeat is demoralising for both players and fans. It’s not acceptable and there are little signs of things turning round.

Losing to the top six would be easier to cope with if we were beating teams around us, but losses to Newcastle and Everton are even more concerning. With tricky games coming up against Tottenham and Leicester we could be bang in trouble before crucial games against Villa, Norwich and Wolves. As much as I love Marcelo Bielsa for everything he has done and as much as I will always love him for the joy he brought us no matter what happens this season, I have no faith that he will turn this season around and that makes me really, really sad.

A win against Spurs and I'll be a giddy schoolboy again but right now I feel deflated, defeated, I've lost faith.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

"Richard Keys has indicated that Leeds United should sack Marcelo Bielsa and feels if he was an English manager he would have been shown the door. He feels that an English manager would have been sacked for serving up the heavy defeats Bielsa has been serving up for Leeds. "

"Do we think that if a British coach was in charge of Leeds right now he’d be getting the sack?” Keys wrote on Twitter.
“What makes Bielsa different? Leeds are a shambles.”

"Bielsa can’t survive this surely? It’s the definition of madness - keep doing the same thing….. That’s not good coaching. 6-0. "
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Fabulous piece, delivered without hyperbole, and covers my thoughts exactly.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 pm "Richard Keys has indicated that Leeds United should sack Marcelo Bielsa and feels if he was an English manager he would have been shown the door. He feels that an English manager would have been sacked for serving up the heavy defeats Bielsa has been serving up for Leeds. "

"Do we think that if a British coach was in charge of Leeds right now he’d be getting the sack?” Keys wrote on Twitter.

"Bielsa can’t survive this surely? It’s the definition of madness - keep doing the same thing….. That’s not good coaching. 6-0. "

Has Dyche not been in a similar position? Depends if a club wants to hold firm in their philosophy.

The thing is I'm not sure another manager gets a better tune out of this squad. They are what they are because of Bielsa not in spite of him. I want to have faith in him, it just seems a long way off right now.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Should be sacked
It's a total embarrassment.
I'm fuming.
Any other coach would have been sacked by now.
He's held aloft like some sort of coaching god but he's been shown to be tactically inept and inflexible.
We're turning into a laughing stock.
We're definitely going down.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Time to go.

Get Nuno in for a few 1-0s to keep us up.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

Yep, enough is enough. The Premier League has sussed us out, and most teams are finding us far too easy to play against.
I posted a couple of weeks ago I thought Bielsa should stay in charge till the end of the season and then replace him. It is now my opinion, if we do not make a change straight away then we are going down. Someone needs to be brought in to sort this mess out.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 pm "Richard Keys has indicated that Leeds United should sack Marcelo Bielsa and feels if he was an English manager he would have been shown the door. He feels that an English manager would have been sacked for serving up the heavy defeats Bielsa has been serving up for Leeds. "

He's absolutely bang on, it's the romance and myth of Bielsa.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

At what point does faith in a system and belief in a style become stubbornness and naïve?

Ive long since felt that Bielsa sacrifices style for points, is that unfair? He would rather lose his way then adapt to try and win? His whole philosophy is do plan A better but keep mentioning Blackpool under Holloway and they had no plan B and went down. Nobody went oh brave Ian Holloway they went daft Ian Holloway, naive Ian Holloway, stubborn Ian Holloway.

Have to say i dont believe it is good management to only have 1 style and have a squad incapable of changing it, i dont think that is something that deserves credit to anyone, board or coach.
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Bielsa can fuckoff.
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:07 pm His whole philosophy is do plan A better but keep mentioning Blackpool under Holloway and they had no plan B and went down.

Doing Plan A better is all well and good when you've got Mane and Salah in the side.

But when your are playing a right back at centre back and a winger up front it's not going to work!
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Seriously.

People are quoting Richard Keys to criticise Marcelo Bielsa?

We've been over the Bielsa thing every which way.

Richard Keys is a laughing stock, not just as a pundit but as a person, a vain clown who reveals a nasty streak every now and again.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:14 pm Doing Plan A better is all well and good when you've got Mane and Salah in the side.

But when your are playing a right back at centre back and a winger up front it's not going to work!
As i said, none of his disciples have adopted his style in its entirety for a reason.

Elements of his style are awesome, but the whole style as a collective is massively flawed once you reach the top level
Signed

King Cjay

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Mountain wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:17 pm Seriously.

Richard Keys is a laughing stock, not just as a pundit but as a person, a vain clown who reveals a nasty streak every now and again.

You missed hairy
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:17 pm Seriously.

My Aunt taught him at school.
Little factoid for you :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

SG90 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:12 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then perhaps a change of manager will.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Post by 1964white »

For the first time, I'm seriously concerned of us retaining our place in the Premier League.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 pm My Aunt taught him at school.
Little factoid for you :lol:

Which class, misogyny?
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: I've lost faith in Marcelo Bielsa and it makes me sad

Post by Musicman1965 »

At what point do you say enough is enough, this result is another example that Biesla is not doing
his job. We have shipped more goals today and nothing really has changed. The formation remains
the same and teams know what we are going to do. Its so frustrating to watch....
Biesla needs to sacked now or we are relegated.