Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch- Faith restored?

Post by 1964white »

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... lland-road

The media are calling Marsch out for his delusions.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

One of the main criticisms or concerns around Marsch for me (performances and results aside) is I'm not convinced he is a Football manager in anything but name.

No football manager has been truly unique for decades (even Bielsa). Every idea has been conceived by somebody before and its been that way for years.

What tends to happen is a manager has various influences and then throws in there own thoughts and makes a style.

Bielsa took ideas from Van Gaal and Carlos Bilardo and others and put them together and made his style with his own ideas

Pep took ideas from Bielsa and Cruyff and others and put his own ideas and made a style

Klopp took ideas from Rangnick, Sacchi and others and put his own ideas in and made a style etc

Marsch being a very clever man as he is seems to have read Ralf Rangnick's coaching manual and absorbed it (as an intelligent man like him can) and that's it

Thats what he has.

That isn't being a football manager, that's plagiarism.

What ideas of his own has he got? Where is his input?

I don't see a football manager, I see an academic
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I think he's very close to reaching his peak with this Leeds team.

That's how good he is.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:00 pm One of the main criticisms or concerns around Marsch for me (performances and results aside) is I'm not convinced he is a Football manager in anything but name.

No football manager has been truly unique for decades (even Bielsa). Every idea has been conceived by somebody before and its been that way for years.

What tends to happen is a manager has various influences and then throws in there own thoughts and makes a style.

Bielsa took ideas from Van Gaal and Carlos Bilardo and others and put them together and made his style with his own ideas

Pep took ideas from Bielsa and Cruyff and others and put his own ideas and made a style

Klopp took ideas from Rangnick, Sacchi and others and put his own ideas in and made a style etc

Marsch being a very clever man as he is seems to have read Ralf Rangnick's coaching manual and absorbed it (as an intelligent man like him can) and that's it

Thats what he has.

It’s very rare for anyone to be truly unique in life let alone sport. To be the first. Impossible in football.
I think the trouble is Marsch believes he is the business. And that makes him far more dangerous
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Pep is no footballing genius. But he is an OUTSTANDING man manager. Particularly with top players. The spoiled brats and egomaniacs that populate top football clubs. That is his gift. Virtually everything in his tactical handbook was developed by someone else. Which is not to slight him. But just to accentuate Cjays point that tactical football innovation is the domain of very few. We happened to have one of them at Leeds for almost 4 seasons.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:47 amSwiss Tony?
Next manager...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:02 am Well Jesse made the first happen.... I'll open the back door just in case!
Is that a euphemism?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:00 pm One of the main criticisms or concerns around Marsch for me (performances and results aside) is I'm not convinced he is a Football manager in anything but name.

Thats what he has.

I don't even see this supposed intelligence... there should be a modicum of self-awareness and critical thinking, surely? And he ability to communicate ideas without resorting to swooning, fisting, pumping, felching etc.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:39 pm I don't even see this supposed intelligence... there should be a modicum of self-awareness and critical thinking, surely? And he ability to communicate ideas without resorting to swooning, fisting, pumping, felching etc.
Very educated man, graduated from one of the top Universities in the World.

He is certainly a step above almost everyone in football in that respect.

So did Lampard (not the same level) but in Football terms he is also far more educated than the norm.

Interesting that they share similar traits.

Arrogance, inability to accept fault, tendency to blame others.

Maybe it comes from feeling as if you are better than everyone else
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I’m concerned now. I know what fisting is as Weasel explained it to me but felching. I just looked that up.
Swiss Tony would not be impressed
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:32 pm I’m concerned now. I know what fisting is as Weasel explained it to me but felching. I just looked that up.
Swiss Tony would not be impressed
It's because you didn't graduate from a top university.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SaraM wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:48 pm It's because you didn't graduate from a top university.
Just as well although my lack of anal sex knowledge has probably held me back
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:48 pm Very educated man, graduated from one of the top Universities in the World.

He is certainly a step above almost everyone in football in that respect.

So did Lampard (not the same level) but in Football terms he is also far more educated than the norm.

Interesting that they share similar traits.

Arrogance, inability to accept fault, tendency to blame others.

Maybe it comes from feeling as if you are better than everyone else
I don't think normal education and understanding football are particularly related in terms of being clever would make you a better football manager and understand tactics more.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:01 pm Just as well although my lack of anal sex knowledge has probably held me back
Yeah you don't want to go diving in there half cocked.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 pm Yeah you don't want to go diving in there half cocked.
I think you understand this type of thing better than me. A Fist from Cambridge probably. I mean a First
Clueless Yank
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: PhilipVU94

Post by Clueless Yank »

Thats what he has.

Well, the Red Bull... organization? suprastructure? I don't even know what to call it... has a reputation for being somewhat dogmatic. As you alluded to, everyone is taking ideas from somewhere so that alone isn't a problem.

As for creativity -- a major problem he had in Leipzig was that he came in fresh off the assembly line as the next guy who'd crushed opponents' souls at Salzburg. And he was ready to win "the Red Bull way," but the players were like, "Nagelsmann was doing things the Red Bull way but better, and you're going backwards."

I don't know if the players were fair to think that or not. Leeds' players seem rather more amenable to the approach, but they weren't getting "Red Bull 2.0" from the prior coach, and Leipzig's were.

No one worth listening to thinks JM is unintelligent, but sometimes intelligent people can be stubborn and prevent their own learning, as you allude to.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:41 pm I think you understand this type of thing better than me. A Fist from Cambridge probably. I mean a First
I had a strange experience on the only time I went to Cambridge. I ended up getting punted down the Cam by an uppity oik. We ended up crashing into a boat with some rather nice chaps in who apologised profusely as apparently they had useless c**ks. I'll be b*ggered if I go back there again.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:07 pm I had a strange experience on the only time I went to Cambridge. I ended up getting punted down the Cam by an uppity oik. We ended up crashing into a boat with some rather nice chaps in who apologised profusely as apparently they had useless c**ks. I'll be b*ggered if I go back there again.
Couldn’t agree more. I go there occasionally and always keep my back to the wall if you’ll excuse the pun.
Just a footnote did you know that is the 3rd most common reason for divorce in the U.K. Useless c**k I mean
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:01 pm Just as well although my lack of anal sex knowledge has probably held me back
I refer you to my previous answer.