The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) - Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) - Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 20th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road

Ross Barkley is a dead cert to leave Chelsea this summer with 90min reporting Leeds United, Newcastle United and Everton could be likely destinations. The 28 year old former England International has fallen down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge, and recent reports indicate he is available on the cheap. He joined Chelsea from Everton back in 2018 for £15m, but has only made 57 senior appearances for them during this time.

The Blues currently have 22 players out on loan, though Barkley's weekly salary of £110,000 was a major contributing factor why Aston Villa chose not to renew his loan this season. Even if Barkley is interested in a move to Elland Road this Summer, his salary demands (even if slashed by 50%) seem a lot more important to him, than his passion to play at the highest level.

Caprile flourishing in Italy

Shot-stopper Elia Caprile is flourishing with Serie C outfit Pro Patria this season. The 20 year old joined the Milan based outfit on loan, ahead of their 21-22 campaign. Over his 37 appearances, he has become one of their stand-out players. Caprile was signed for a nominal fee from Chievo Verona in the Summer of 2020, and was instrumental in helping the U23's win the Premier League 2 title last season. He signed a new contract at Elland Road before departing to Italy, but Leeds are now considering extending the deal beyond 2024 due to the attention he is getting in Italy.

I was out of my comfort zone every day - Nketiah

Former loanee Eddie Nkehiah is the latest in a long line of former players to have become embroiled in Marsch-Gate! Speaking on the 'Beautiful Game Podcast', the 22 year old Gooner was asked about Jesse Marsch's claims that the Leeds squad was overtrained during Bielsa's tenure. Whilst Nkehiah stopped short of agreeing with Marsch's claim, he did point out that the gruelling schedule left him knackered and out of his comfort zone. He also concluded that whilst the training got the best out of the players (including himself), 'over time you do get a lot of injuries.'

It’s difficult to say it’s wrong, because I felt like he was getting the best out of the players he had, even myself. But I’m not going to lie, it was hard. I remember sometimes I like to go out to eat, but I was going home to sleep! I was knackered from training and it was the first time I felt like I was being put out of my comfort zone every day. I felt like I needed to rest to be ready. It was good. But over time you do get a lot of injuries, because it’s difficult to sustain that but from a development point of view it’s good.

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) Barkley linked to Summer move to ER

Post by mentalcase »

Rather not have RB, done nothing elsewhere, why would he suddenly set us alight.
Despite what the club says, I firmly believe there ARE better players out there than what we have now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) - Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road

Post by SG90 »

We always get linked with top 6 rejects, and save for Dan James, which was an obsession, we haven't signed any. We need to avoid that market and save it for Villa, Everton and Newcastle to waste money on.

Good news about Caprile. Hopefully he will get a higher loan next season. Klaesson needs one too providing we sign another.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) Barkley linked to Summer move to ER

Post by SG90 »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:10 am Rather not have RB, done nothing elsewhere, why would he suddenly set us alight.
Despite what the club says, I firmly believe there ARE better players out there than what we have now.
I'm hoping Marsch's links to Red Bull might open up their scouting network for us and we spot some gems. We found Gvardiol before they did as well.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th April) - Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road

Post by Byebyegeegee »

A no from me too to Ross Barkley. Even at 28 years old he’s clearly a player on the slide who’s best days are behind him and his potentially massive wages could be far better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn’t think the Serie C standards are particularly high, I don’t know but possibly not even as high as our league 1, still I’m glad for Caprile that he’s showing some good form and attracting attention. It can only be good for Leeds United in the long run, either practically or financially.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:35 am I'm hoping Marsch's links to Red Bull might open up their scouting network for us and we spot some gems. We found Gvardiol before they did as well.
Yea, despite the usual rhetoric, there really ARE better players available, and as you say, "red bull may open up their network" I know a lot of American football players can't hack it out of the MSL, but, there are many other clubs connected to them now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Anyone else notice costa got a massive 3/10 for his last dismal display in Spain, no doubt we'll be daft enough to take him back and give him another chance !!
There are too many dead wood players in the squad we need to get shut of imo, get the wage bill down and then spend it wisely elsewhere.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:49 am Anyone else notice costa got a massive 3/10 for his last dismal display in Spain, no doubt we'll be daft enough to take him back and give him another chance !!
There are too many dead wood players in the squad we need to get shut of imo, get the wage bill down and then spend it wisely elsewhere.
Well that's disappointing as it looked like Valencia were gonna sign him for 10m. No doubt AK will claim he's "like a new signing".
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 am Well that's disappointing as it looked like Valencia were gonna sign him for 10m. No doubt AK will claim he's "like a new signing".
Written in the stars surely?

Last day of the window, Raph gone, no natural replacement signed.

Angry fan. . ."where's the replacement for Raphinha Radz" on twitter.

Radz reply- "Helder Costa :tup: "

And then when questioned he will go on one of his twitter rants about how Forshaw came back and played like a prime Xavi/Iniesta/Pirlo hybrid and that justifies his faith in Costa :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

RB definitely has talent but it’s whether anyone can get consistency out of him, don’t believe we would be interested in him though.

Costa transfer unfortunately needs to be all but written off - might get 5 million for him but I don’t want to see him playing for us again.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Definite no to Ross Barkley.

Costa is a big girl's blouse, very weak & easily knocked off the ball. He did a job for us in the championship, scored three goals in 14 PL appearances, however two of those goals were against a Fulham side who were destined for relegation from the off, easy meat for Premier League defenders.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:22 pm Definite no to Ross Barkley.

Costa is a big blouse girl, very weak & easily knocked off the ball. He did a job for us in the championship, scored three goals in 14 PL appearances, however two of those goals were against a Fulham side who were destined for relegation from the off, easy meat for Premier League defenders.
Do you mean he's a big girls blouse :duno: :lol:

I do Swannie :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:41 pm Do you mean he's a big girls blouse :duno: :lol:
I do Swannie :lol:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

A big no on Barkley for me.

How can we ever hope to compete with top teams if we sign players who aren't good enough to play for those teams?

Much better to continue to sign players like Rodrigo and Raphinha; players who have excelled outside the EPL and can be brought in with transfer fees and wages that aren't exorbitant.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Barkley linked to Summer move to Elland Road.

Him again. Only Newcastle will be able to afford his wages. At around £20kpw we may go in for him.

Caprile flourishing in Italy.

Good luck to the lad. He's nearly the same age as our no1.

I was out of my comfort zone every day - Nketiah

That's what you want as a footballer to be out of your comfort zone. How was he knackered tho i don't know he hardley played.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Apparently, AR wanted Real Madrid legend Raul to be the next manager, but he wants to stay put.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Costa... Only 3 years on his contract to go now.

Maybe Jesse can get a tune out of him as a wide 10.
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

" It’s difficult to say it’s wrong, because I felt like he was getting the best out of the players he had, even myself. But I’m not going to lie, it was hard. I remember sometimes I like to go out to eat, but I was going home to sleep! I was knackered from training and it was the first time I felt like I was being put out of my comfort zone every day. I felt like I needed to rest to be ready. It was good. But over time you do get a lot of injuries, because it’s difficult to sustain that but from a development point of view it’s good. "

Someone else that looks like he got a bit of 'it' ^

You see when you're given the likes of Dallas etc to work with who aren't the most naturally talented or gifted of players, what's the best thing to do with them huh?

Sorry to keep using you Stuey as prime example, but please take it as a compliment coz you improved and impressed me the most, and make i say ...stuck it right up me coz i thought you were fcking garbage pre Bert.

Please don't go backwards.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

No to Barkley.

Seems a moody player to me and never realised his early potential. Too late in his career to change? Not worth the expensive wage risk IMO.

Costa? Shudder. Just like the coffee. Expensive and every now and then you get a hot one.
LeeBrook
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LeeBrook »

Barkley's long past his 'best by: date - no thanks.