Brentford 1-2 Leeds Utd - Great close-up celebration scenes.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Brentford 1-2 Leeds Utd - Great close-up celebration scenes.

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 22nd May 4:00pm | Brentford Community Stadium

Leeds Utd conclude their 2021-2022 campaign in West London, knowing that Victory at Brentford on Sunday may not be enough to guarantee them top flight football next season. At this very point twelve months ago, we were preparing for the visit of West Brom, knowing that a top nine finish was guaranteed, and not having a care in the World - How things can change in a year!

Leeds drew the reverse fixture (with Brentford) 2-2 back in December. A rare Tyler Roberts strike was cancelled out by Shandon Baptiste, ten minutes into the second half. Brentford then took the lead five minutes later through Sergi Canos. Bamford was bought on with twenty minutes left. He scored an equaliser in the dying seconds of injury time to nick a point, then re-injured himself with the goal celebration. This was also the game where Kalvin Phillips and Liam Cooper sustained their injuries which would see them both sidelined for nearly four months

Leeds will be without the services of Stuart Dallas (broken leg), Adam Forshaw (fractured knee cap), Luke Ayling (suspended/knee surgery), Daniel James (suspended) and Crysencio Summerville (ankle). Several articles suggested that Jesse Marsch would gamble on Bamford, whether he's fit or not, but as it turns out he does not even make the bench having contracted Covid. Greenwood and Gelhardt will both start alongside Rodrigo with Phillips anchoring the midfield. Firop, Koch, Cooper and Llorente make up the Leeds defence with Harrision and Raphinha on the wings. Klaesson, Struijk, Hjelde, Cresswell, Shackleton, Bate, Klich, Gray ant the returning Tyler Roberts make up the bench.

Brentford midfielder Frank Onyeka is in contention to make his first appearance since March after recovering from an ankle injury. Ethan Pinnock, Zanka and Saman Ghoddos will miss the final game of the season. A win in this match would give the Bees 49 points, the highest total by a Premier League debutant since Reading finished eighth on 55 points in 2006-07. Leeds have lost just one of the past six league meetings (W2, D3), with the reverse fixture in December this season ending in a 2-2 draw.

Stream the game live via a NordVPN with our dicounted rate...

RobbieLeeds
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Brentford v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by RobbieLeeds »

Feel like we’ll play with much desperation and attack we’ll but succumb to 1 or 2 late goals, which would be devastating but I don’t feel any other way/reason to believe we’d stay up in any scenario.
Or
We Nick a 1-1 draw with a goal around the 80th minute mark whilst Burnley lose
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

This match is a write-off.

They'll beat us.

Pontus gets the last laugh.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Rook wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:11 pm

Pontus gets the last laugh.
And IF he does, then rightly so. He should never have been thrown out. Massive mistake from Bielsa who couldn't forgive and forget!
Everyone laughed when he went to 'lowly' Brentford. Who's laughing now?
Changnoy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Changnoy »

whiteswan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:50 pm And IF he does, then rightly so. He should never have been thrown out. Massive mistake from Bielsa who couldn't forgive and forget!
Pontus & Pablo..both good servants who would have been beneficial this year....Berardi also.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Well that was two daggers to the heart last night and salt rubbed in by Barnes scoring the penalty when he should already have been sent off.

Still it is what it is, when did anyone ever do Leeds any favours?

We're not dead yet.

Newcastle, after a good victory against Arsenal, will roll up at Burnley with players knowing they are playing for their futures and big money contracts. I do fancy them to win there. Burnley will park the bus and hope for a draw.

Whatever happens we need minimum a draw and possibly a victory. But I believe a draw may be enough. In Thomas Frank's interview yesterday he was saying he couldn't care less about that mind the gap video and won't use it as motivation. But they are on a roll and will want to finish as high as possible.

We need Jesse and the lads to turn up, take the game by the scruff of the neck and achieve a victory, a bit of luck would help too.

Get behind the lads and hope we can stay up.

Massive clear out required in the summer, whatever happens on Sunday. Radz and co sat on their laurels and this is the outcome :(
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:50 pm And IF he does, then rightly so. He should never have been thrown out. Massive mistake from Bielsa who couldn't forgive and forget!
Indeed Swannie.

Marcelo couldn't handle confrontation, as was the case with Pablo too, you've no chance of handling a PL squad if you are unable to cope with temperamental players.

Imagine Fergie getting rid of Cantona after the incident at Palace.

Pontus & Pablo's tantrums were mild in comparison to the vikiing Eric.

Losing Pontus, Pablo, Alioski & even Ben White took the heart & quality out of Leeds United.

Those players wouldn't have laid down & died this season.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Good point about about some of the players gone ‘64

Pontus , Pablo and White are better than the majority we have currently.

I know Pablo was coming to the end of his career and Brighton wanted huge money for White, but it does highlight the gaps in quality between those players and what we have now.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

White Riot wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:45 am Well that was two daggers to the heart last night and salt rubbed in by Barnes scoring the penalty when he should already have been sent off.

Still it is what it is, when did anyone ever do Leeds any favours?

We're not dead yet.

Newcastle, after a good victory against Arsenal, will roll up at Burnley with players knowing they are playing for their futures and big money contracts. I do fancy them to win there. Burnley will park the bus and hope for a draw.

Whatever happens we need minimum a draw and possibly a victory. But I believe a draw may be enough. In Thomas Frank's interview yesterday he was saying he couldn't care less about that mind the gap video and won't use it as motivation. But they are on a roll and will want to finish as high as possible.

We need Jesse and the lads to turn up, take the game by the scruff of the neck and achieve a victory, a bit of luck would help too.

Get behind the lads and hope we can stay up.

Massive clear out required in the summer, whatever happens on Sunday. Radz and co sat on their laurels and this is the outcome :(
If big Jesse turns up with any sort of gameplan we're totally fcked.
If the lads take the game by the scruff of the neck and revert back, we've half a chance.

Looks like you'll get your wish of being back in the Championship Cjay, good luck with that, coz you'll be there a long time, and to think, you had the cheek to say that I wanted us to be relegated :roll:

Your wish will come true - Sunday 6pm.

We'll never know now whether Bert would've taken us down (he wouldn't) but one thing will be 100% certain, the man currently in office - did, of that there will be no qualms.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

He took us down in terms of being at the helm, if that’s what happens. That is undeniable. He certainly won’t be the 100% cause of it though. Thats is equally true.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Burnley 2-2 Newcastle
Brentford 2- 3 Leeds
We stay up by the skin of our teeth
1964white

Post by 1964white »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 am Good point about about some of the players gone ‘64

Pontus, Pablo and White are better than the majority we have currently.

I know Pablo was coming to the end of his career and Brighton wanted huge money for White, but it does highlight the gaps in quality between those players and what we have now.
Also, you have to take in account those players were on peanuts in comparison to those who replaced them, we didn't even sign a replacement for Pablo :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:56 am We'll never know now whether Bert would've taken us down (he wouldn't) but one thing will be 100% certain, the man currently in office - did, of that there will be no qualms.
I'll say once again, Jesse is averaging more points per game than Marcelo, even though he had a run of three games vs the top six during his eleven games stint at Leeds.

Jesse has won three games since his arrival in late February, we'd only won five in the previous seven months of the season.

It hasn't been easy managing Leeds United for either coach this season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:20 am Also, you have to take in account those players were on peanuts in comparison to those who replaced them, we didn't even sign a replacement for Pablo :roll:
Raphinha... but nice try
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not everyone Swannie, I was in tears :verysad:

The signing of Ben White helped plaster my wounds, a short-term fix as we couldn't even seal a deal for young Ben, so we were back to square one again without the big man at the back.

Now we have matchstick men as CB's who can't even shrug off the likes of Danny frigging Welbeck.

I still wish Pontus every success, he was shat on for being ultra-competitive, a man after my own heart. I wouldn't lay down & die playing sport under instructions from anyone, that attitude is for losers.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:44 am Raphinha... but nice try
Raphinha is an out & out winger.

Pablo was a right-sided footballer, but he played across the midfield often playing centrally, the majority of his goals came from the centre of the pitch, not one current Leeds player scores goals with regularity from outside the box.

Harrison & Costa were our wingers.

Watch this.....

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

What a player. I miss Pablo.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:33 am I'll say once again, Jesse is averaging more points per game than Marcelo, even though he had a run of three games vs the top six during his eleven games stint at Leeds.

Jesse has won three games since his arrival in late February, we'd only won five in the previous seven months of the season.

It hasn't been easy managing Leeds United for either coach this season.
I'll say it once again, people should've seen the bigger picture and realised what tools and hierarchy both are working with and what they are up against, especially experienced football observers and people that claim to know about football.

It was plain for all to see. Pep observed it and commented 'you'd still be in the Championship'.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:27 am I'll say it once again, people should've seen the bigger picture and realised what tools and hierarchy both are working with and what they are up against, especially experienced football observers and people that claim to know about football.

It was plain for all to see. Pep observed it and commented 'you'd still be in the Championship'.
Honestly mate you are the proverbial stuck record. You keep going on about people who know about football. All you every spout about is how Bert would have done this or that. You live in a fantasy world. He went nearly 3 months ago, he isn’t coming back and frothing at the mouth about what could or could not have been is truly pointless.

We are in dire trouble because of a multitude of occurrences, incompetence, poor decision making and a sprinkling of bad luck. No one element is entirely to blame all of the cast have played a part, and Bert was one of the headline acts.

We are still in with a shout today, it is more of a whimper in truth but this game still has the ability to create bizarre outcomes.
If we go down I hope Marsch can prove me wrong but he sounds too corporate and I am not convinced that sounding like a banker resonates with footballers. But we will see.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Bally wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:07 pm Burnley 2-2 Newcastle
Brentford 2- 3 Leeds
We stay up by the skin of our teeth
If that actually happens I'm not sure my heart will take it. Imagine all the backwards and forwards, one minute they're safe, then we are.
I'd much rather
Burnley 0-3 Newcastle
Brentford 0-2 Leeds
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden