Golf Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Golf Thread - The Masters

Post by Jaydog »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:57 pm Belton Park is nicer has 3 nines. Much preferred it to Belton Woods. That's a marriott isn't it ?
Ask Chilli. I’ve not been there 😁
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Wow. Everyone just fell apart and handed the jacket to Scottie. What a letdown.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:18 pm Wow. Everyone just fell apart and handed the jacket to Scottie. What a letdown.
Well the other way of looking at it is that Scottie is just so much better than anyone else right now. Its no wonder people are likening his current dominance over the rest to the Tiger years.

Augusta was playing extremely tough - nobody could get the ball into the tight spots around the pins other than Scottie - mesmerizing golf.

Best shot of the week though for me was Tiger's 3 wood 2nd shot from 250 into a par 5 that stopped on the green like a wedge pitch. marvelous.

I'm just glad none of the Liv f**kers won.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:12 pm That’s the s**t golf society? Something like that I seem to remember. CRAP maybe 😂
Suffolk
Hackers
Invitation
Tour

s**t 😂
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:57 pm Belton Park is nicer has 3 nines. Much preferred it to Belton Woods. That's a marriott isn't it ?
I think Belton Woods used to be a Marriott but it's part of the Q Hotels chain now.
I've not played Belton Park
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Well done to Ludvig Aberg for finishing second in his first ever major. He was in with a real shout until he double bogeyed the 11th.
He is Europe's next big star.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 am Well the other way of looking at it is that Scottie is just so much better than anyone else right now. Its no wonder people are likening his current dominance over the rest to the Tiger years.

Augusta was playing extremely tough - nobody could get the ball into the tight spots around the pins other than Scottie - mesmerizing golf.

Best shot of the week though for me was Tiger's 3 wood 2nd shot from 250 into a par 5 that stopped on the green like a wedge pitch. marvelous.

I'm just glad none of the Liv f**kers won.
Yes Malcolm the S-Dog is on another level but he has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Tiger. He looked like a cripple at the end btw.
Agree on the LIV w**kers. Disappointed that Rory wimped out. Again.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:03 am Yes Malcolm the S-Dog is on another level but he has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Tiger. He looked like a cripple at the end btw.
Agree on the LIV w**kers. Disappointed that Rory wimped out. Again.
Rory may win another major at some point but he'll never win the Masters. Too much scar tissue at Augusta. The year he blew an 8 shot lead destroyed him mentally.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:55 am Rory may win another major at some point but he'll never win the Masters. Too much scar tissue at Augusta. The year he blew an 8 shot lead destroyed him mentally.
He needs to start well to have a chance. He always tends to have left himself too much to do on days 3 and 4 with the exception of the year he choked.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:55 am Rory may win another major at some point but he'll never win the Masters. Too much scar tissue at Augusta. The year he blew an 8 shot lead destroyed him mentally.
Probably right. He doesn’t have the temperament of Scheffler. In fairness not many do.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 am He needs to start well to have a chance. He always tends to have left himself too much to do on days 3 and 4 with the exception of the year he choked.
He beat himself on Friday. By his own admission he hates playing in the wind. Flat track bully in some ways in that he wants a soft long course where top class driving is a top requirement.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am Probably right. He doesn’t have the temperament of Scheffler. In fairness not many do.
Scheffler is in a different league at the moment. But the same could be said about Spieth not that long ago. His game seems to have deserted him. Always a new kid on the block - that is why the game is such a great spectacle.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:42 am Scheffler is in a different league at the moment. But the same could be said about Spieth not that long ago. His game seems to have deserted him. Always a new kid on the block - that is why the game is such a great spectacle.
He’s way better than Spieth imo. Between the ears mainly. Spieth threw his 2nd masters in the pond at the 12th a few years ago. Can you imagine S-Dog doing that.
But I love watching Spieth. One of the most creative players I’ve ever seen. Hopefully he finds his best form again.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am He’s way better than Spieth imo. Between the ears mainly. Spieth threw his 2nd masters in the pond at the 12th a few years ago. Can you imagine S-Dog doing that.
But I love watching Spieth. One of the most creative players I’ve ever seen. Hopefully he finds his best form again.
I love the way Speith berates himself whenever he hits a bad tee shot. "Are you kidding me Jordan, are you kidding me" 😂
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm I love the way Speith berates himself whenever he hits a bad tee shot. "Are you kidding me Jordan, are you kidding me" 😂
😁 I reckon his caddy must just switch off like my mum used to with us kids. The “block off” technique I used to call it.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm I love the way Speith berates himself whenever he hits a bad tee shot. "Are you kidding me Jordan, are you kidding me" 😂
And he is Leeds..... :scar1
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:49 pm And he is Leeds..... :scar1
He is Swannie.
As it Justin Thomas
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am Probably right. He doesn’t have the temperament of Scheffler. In fairness not many do.
Many great players have a 'bogey' major. Ernie Els also could never play at his best at Augusta. He said he wouldn't mind if he never sees the place again.
I think this may be the case for Rory. To be honest, I don't think he adapts his game adequately there. He seems to try to overpower the course. Then he gets too cute with his short game. He also putts relatively poorly there.

Speaking to people who have been to the Masters they all say TV doesn't adequately show the massive elevation changes on most holes, as well as severe side lies on most fairways.
The greens are also so penalizing. I remember David Ferehty once saying it was like pitching a ball on to the roof of a VW Beetle :roflmao:
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:42 am Scheffler is in a different league at the moment. But the same could be said about Spieth not that long ago. His game seems to have deserted him. Always a new kid on the block - that is why the game is such a great spectacle.
Jordan is a great player but never showed the king of consistent dominance were seeing from Scottie right now.
He's not just on a hot streak like other players - Spieth, Smith, even Rahm. He is just head and shoulders (not just literally) above everyone else every week.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 pm Many great players have a 'bogey' major. Ernie Els also could never play at his best at Augusta. He said he wouldn't mind if he never sees the place again.
I think this may be the case for Rory. To be honest, I don't think he adapts his game adequately there. He seems to try to overpower the course. Then he gets too cute with his short game. He also putts relatively poorly there.

Speaking to people who have been to the Masters they all say TV doesn't adequately show the massive elevation changes on most holes, as well as severe side lies on most fairways.
The greens are also so penalizing. I remember David Ferehty once saying it was like pitching a ball on to the roof of a VW Beetle :roflmao:
Yeah my dad & brother went and said it’s unbelievable how hilly it is. A tough walk without the golf.
Lee Trevino hated it. Said it was a tricked up course.
Don’t agree with him mind you as it’s a great test with a history of great champions.
Still don’t believe a LIV player will ever win it. Comes after 8 months of totally non competitive golf for them. Players like Rahm need to realise that if they ever want to be considered a great of the game they need to get back on the proper tour.