General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: General Chat

Post by Sean_Nile »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:58 pm Well, the Baltimore tragedy soon faded into oblivion, I wonder why?
Joe Biden when he interrogated the captain could not get a confession that ISIS were responsible
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:31 pm Restored it to what it was before someone dicked about with it.
There are good reasons why I highlighted the tragic accident to the title header.

1) To promote more discussion (especially on a quiet week here, due to no Leeds games).
2) A massive news article.
3) A subject that is suitable to the General Chat topic.

I use similar actions on the Album of the Year polls, encouraging our music fans to post up their votes.

I don't see it as a problem if it makes the forum flow.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:33 pm Would have been a mod ..
They seem to be power mad, these days.

On Sunday I made a complaint about Mental Case's derogatory and unacceptable remarks about immigrants to this country, and his subsequent rude and aggressive behaviour.

Despite ticking the box asking for a response, there has been nothing, so presumably it's being ignored.

Maybe it's what passes for 'free speech' in some people's minds... and yet I'm still not allowed to say 'numpty', despite being sorely tempted.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm I don't see it as a problem if it makes the forum flow.
I've already informed you of the problem; I started the thread as a general discussion topic, and didn't want it changing to reflect a single issue.

Start a dedicated thread next time, if you want to prioritise it that much.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:29 pm They seem to be power mad, these days.

On Sunday I made a complaint about Mental Case's derogatory and unacceptable remarks about immigrants to this country, and his subsequent rude and aggressive behaviour.

Despite ticking the box asking for a response, there has been nothing, so presumably it's being ignored.

Maybe it's what passes for 'free speech' in some people's minds... and yet I'm still not allowed to say 'numpty', despite being sorely tempted.
I'm wondering what I'm going to do with all these "Moaning f**king Minnie" T Shirts and mugs I've had printed .... f**king place is full of them and penis trolley birthday cards...When will I learn?

but I defend your right to say numpty it's a perfectly good word in the right circumstance

A bit surprised you've not had a reply yet but Adam may not have been on, my name change took a week or two.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Maybe it's what passes for 'free speech' in some people's minds... and yet I'm still not allowed to say 'c**t', despite being sorely tempted.
And you're not?

Telling folk what they can & not post & today telling me I shouldn't highlight a thread title.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm There are good reasons why I highlighted the tragic accident to the title header.

1) To promote more discussion (especially on a quiet week here, due to no Leeds games).
2) A massive news article.
3) A subject that is suitable to the General Chat topic.

I use similar actions on the Album of the Year polls, encouraging our music fans to post up their votes.

I don't see it as a problem if it makes the forum flow.
It makes sense there, it's updating what's happening and I applaud it. I'd have thought though that something as major as the Baltimore Bridge collapsing would have warranted it's own thread where it's treated with gravitas and not having to fight with the levity and off the cuff remarks that General Chat was intended for ...

Or maybe we should have a general news thread where that sort of thing along with politics and death notices etc could be posted ....

Actually that's not a bad idea....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:44 pm It makes sense there, it's updating what's happening and I applaud it. I'd have thought though that something as major as the Baltimore Bridge collapsing would have warranted it's own thread where it's treated with gravitas and not having to fight with the levity and off the cuff remarks that General Chat was intended for ...

Or maybe we should have a general news thread where that sort of thing along with politics and death notices etc could be posted ....

Actually that's not a bad idea....
I did try a news thread on here a few years ago, it didn't work, to be honest,
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Maybe it's what passes for 'free speech' in some people's minds... and yet I'm still not allowed to say 'c**t', despite being sorely tempted.
Well it appears nobody else (madron aside) deemed it unacceptable nor derogatory and thought left her moan on as usual.
Sometimes spats happen, they blow over, TTFN.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
hector

Post by hector »

Sara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:33 pm I've already informed you of the problem; I started the thread as a general discussion topic, and didn't want it changing to reflect a single issue.

Start a dedicated thread next time, if you want to prioritise it that much.
Sorry but just because you start a thread, does not mean that you control the content or any other part of it... This is not Waccoe or Random musings.....
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Sara wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:29 pm Despite ticking the box asking for a response, there has been nothing, so presumably it's being ignored.

Sorry, I've been busy, life has unfortunately got in the way.

While I may not personally align with the viewpoints expressed in the reported post, I do acknowledge its tone may come across as somewhat xenophobic. It's worth noting, however, that it didn't explicitly target a specific race or ethnicity, nor was it directed towards any individual within our community.

We encourage constructive dialogue and debate, which you've consistently advocated for. It's not uncommon for off-topic discussions to become heated and we encourage the challenging of viewpoints we disagree with, rather than having them removed if they do not specifically break our rules. While I understand the views expressed in the post may not resonate with you, I'm inclined to believe it does not warrant any further action.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:11 pm Sorry but just because you start a thread, does not mean that you control the content or any other part of it... This is not Waccoe or Random musings.....
No offence mate but no one should be editing someone else's post without their consent if it's not libelous or something. She should be able to "control" her own posts...

To alter the title you have to edit the original post... no?
Last edited by The Subhuman on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm Well it appears nobody else (madron aside) deemed it unacceptable nor derogatory and thought left her moan on as usual.
Sometimes spats happen, they blow over, TTFN.
I thought it casually racist but knew Sara could handle it.. Really thought the insult was not worthy of mod either... .
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:11 pm Sorry but just because you start a thread, does not mean that you control the content or any other part of it... This is not Waccoe or Random musings.....
Then why is the thread starter able to edit the title?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:23 pm I thought it casually racist but knew Sara could handle it.. Really thought the insult was not worthy of mod either... .
You would, just as well I take whatever you both say with a pinch of salt. :roll:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:40 pm You would, just as well I take whatever you both say with a pinch of salt. :roll:
Yea, predictable response tbh..... easy out, not much thought required. the odds of me posting that xenophobic post are small but possible. I'd have apologised straight away had it offended ..not hurled insults
Last edited by The Subhuman on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:38 pm And you're not?

Telling folk what they can & not post & today telling me I shouldn't highlight a thread title.
I object to a forum moderator expressing xenophobic/ racist views and being abusive when challenged, and that is my fault?

I object to you treating the whole forum as your own private club, including messing about with a thread I started which was working perfectly well as it was, and that is also my fault?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm While I may not personally align with the viewpoints expressed in the reported post, I do acknowledge its tone may come across as somewhat xenophobic. It's worth noting, however, that it didn't explicitly target a specific race or ethnicity, nor was it directed towards any individual within our community.
A generalised statement that immigrants are dirty and a burden on the country is directed at anyone who is an immigrant to this country. That is, at the very least, going to create an unwelcoming tone on the forum for any fans whose roots are in other countries. If you think that is acceptable, then I strongly disagree with you.

As for reporting it rather than arguing it out, a) I was trying to avoid a slanging match on the forum, and b) it's a waste of time arguing with thick racist bigots. I'm not sure what purpose the moderating is supposed to serve if it isn't for dealing with issues like this.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 pm Yea, predictable response tbh..... easy out, not much thought required. the odds of me posting that xenophobic post are small but possible. I'd have apologised straight away had it offended ..not hurled insults
Nothing xenophobic about it, nor racist, nor insulting, if you want to stick for a trouble causer go ahead, no skin off mine, hurled insults, jesus, you 2 don't half cry wolf when it suits.
Is it because you have a love in on another forum as well !!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 pm I'm wondering what I'm going to do with all these "Moaning f**king Minnie" T Shirts and mugs I've had printed .... f**king place is full of them and penis trolley birthday cards...When will I learn?
Lol