Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- New contract close

Post by 1964white »

GreennWhite wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:27 pm Glad to see Willy staying, at least until the end of this season. Not had the best of seasons to date for various reasons, but still a very useful squad player. Like others have said he just needs a run of games to get his mojo going again, but considering how others are already playing he will have to wait or come in and play fantastic and put himself in a position that Farke cant drop him, that's not an easy thing to do.
Gnonto is miles behind James & Summerville right now, but when his opportunity arises, he needs to grasp it with both hands by making assists & scoring goals, no good coming into the side & producing nothing.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 pm Gnonto is miles behind James & Summerville right now, but when his opportunity arises, he needs to grasp it with both hands by making assists & scoring goals, no good coming into the side & producing nothing.
As it stands it is true but would presumably be first choice if either of those got injured (unless we went down the route of Rutter going wide and Piroe and Bamford both playing). Could easily go on a run, similar to when he first came to us, and be on fire for a few matches and could be the difference between promotion or not. We have seen with Gruev how different it can be trying to impress in 10 minute cameos as compared to playing a few full matches.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Ben Scooby lufc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:54 am I'd say that he's worth keeping hold of if his attitude is with Leeds utd. He's a young lad who is yet still to hit his peak & Italy International. :fire:
I think a lot of his problems have stemmed from his previous commitment and now it's the competition from a good overall performing team.
If he's willing to remain and fight for his position?? Who else would be a replacement or even be good enough as a backup than this young lad :duno: :duno:
What is he doing NOW, if he is a forward How many Goals has he scored this season, How many assists has he made.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

This from Ben Jacobs. Credit to DF for his handling of what could have been an extremely ugly situation earlier in the year, as Jacob's reports that Gnonto, "is understood to have been extremely professional and focused despite new speculation."

Credit to Gnonto for making the best of his second chance.

Source: https://twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/17 ... eds-united
In Farke we trust...
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Is this the same Willy Gnonto that many said was definitely leaving in this window ??
Contract is to enhance/protect his value. He may also have a release clause - which to me seems probable.
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

I'm hesitant given his past regarding transfers, but if he gets the chance... Well.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Match Thread Re: Wilfried Gnonto- New contract close

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

pjm2019 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:51 pm What is he doing NOW, if he is a forward How many Goals has he scored this season, How many assists has he made.
Hey I totally agree but surely everyone can see the lads got have of potential. ;-) Seemed the reason that he doesn't get much game time is because of that previous issue with Everton, turning his head. Dan Farke really didn't like his attitude so that probably had a lot to do with it., Never starting ect. If he gets a new contract then it also means that we have turned over a new leaf! :ok: :ok:
DF must see his potential in Gnonto otherwise he'd get rid :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Ben Scooby lufc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:52 am Hey I totally agree but surely everyone can see the lads got have of potential. ;-) Seemed the reason that he doesn't get much game time is because of that previous issue with Everton, turning his head. Dan Farke really didn't like his attitude so that probably had a lot to do with it., Never starting ect. If he gets a new contract then it also means that we have turned over a new leaf! :ok: :ok:
DF must see his potential in Gnonto otherwise he'd get rid :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:
Yes DF sees a lot in Firpo but he cannot defend. We need players on it now NOT potential.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

pjm2019 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:26 pm Yes DF sees a lot in Firpo but he cannot defend. We need players on it now NOT potential.
Firpo probably couldn't defend but he 's not done bad recently. I've actually been quite impressed! That cross for Dan James to get that immediate reply was quality.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Struggling isn't he.

Farke needs to stop playing him on the right for a start.

But it isn't working this season at all.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

High on class, lacking a little form ... did ok yesterday I thought, unlucky with the shot and Rutters pass came to him too high.. Maybe we can blame him for being too short I guess. Seems a little harsh though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I know Willy tends to cause a lot of mixed feelings about him but i dont want to see him struggle and not feel part of this team. I think he is a player that really needs his confidence to be up and to feel part of the group, and at the moment that's not happening for whatever reason. He always seems to be in good spirits until he plays and is taken off then its like his whole world has fallen in.
As was said in an above post he is still a very young guy, maybe this is just one of those seasons that is best gotten over and forgotten about. A lot of players get those and there is no reason why he is any different from others in that respect.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ends up in a position he did often last season centre of the goal nearer left than right and scores.

Best performance for ages.

Awesome workrate to help Archie out many times as well.

Clearly meant a ton to him.

Mixed feelings on him for many but we need him now.

Good lad Willy
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Indeed we do (need him now) and as per Gruev, Bamford and Firpo we find a 'squad player' stepping up when called upon. It is the pace that he generates with his shooting that makes him such a threat, the keeper had no chance to recover after thinking that Gnonto was going near post with the shot. I love players who can hit the ball really hard, think Yeboah and Hasselbaink, as you don't need to be as accurate as a player who generates less power and as such they have to get their shot right into the corner.

I think it also speaks a lot about the flexibility in Farke's system which allows Gnonto to be able to come in so far instead of hugging the right wing. There were a couple of other moments in the game which showcased this, one where Firpo was playing down the right and Gray down the left and another time where Firpo and Gray were both on the same wing passing to each other.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:31 am Ends up in a position he did often last season centre of the goal nearer left than right and scores.

Best performance for ages.

Awesome workrate to help Archie out many times as well.

Clearly meant a ton to him.

Mixed feelings on him for many but we need him now.

Good lad Willy
We've always needed him and high quality player with a sky's the limit ceiling
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:23 am Indeed we do (need him now) and as per Gruev, Bamford and Firpo we find a 'squad player' stepping up when called upon. It is the pace that he generates with his shooting that makes him such a threat, the keeper had no chance to recover after thinking that Gnonto was going near post with the shot. I love players who can hit the ball really hard, think Yeboah and Hasselbaink, as you don't need to be as accurate as a player who generates less power and as such they have to get their shot right into the corner.

I think it also speaks a lot about the flexibility in Farke's system which allows Gnonto to be able to come in so far instead of hugging the right wing. There were a couple of other moments in the game which showcased this, one where Firpo was playing down the right and Gray down the left and another time where Firpo and Gray were both on the same wing passing to each other.
Never write off quality if they're not getting (much) game time. James needs to get fit soon or he could lose his place. I said Gruev was quality after his second (sub) appearance, you just know once you see "it"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:15 am Never write off quality if they're not getting (much) game time. James needs to get fit soon or he could lose his place. I said Gruev was quality after his second (sub) appearance, you just know once you see "it"
Gnonto is way more talented than James for me. If Gnonto puts together a good run of form, James won't walk straight back in.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:26 am Gnonto is way more talented than James for me. If Gnonto puts together a good run of form, James won't walk straight back in.
Different animal, love what James has done this season, maybe our most clinical finisher atm ... but huge fan of Gnonto's
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:26 am Gnonto is way more talented than James for me. If Gnonto puts together a good run of form, James won't walk straight back in.
All about opinions.

James is a better crosser of the ball, an aspect of his game that has significantly improved, especially now we have a proper No.9 in the box. Ten goals & seven assists cannot be sniffed at.

Gnonto's attempted cross to Bamford was woeful last night, in fact he wasn't great in the first-half, he was much better after the half-time break.

His movement into the centre of the pitch, where he is much more dangerous, was great (he's not a winger), and unlike all our powder-puff shooting straight at the keeper, Gnonto put his bootlaces through the ball, shooting with velocity across the keeper.

Also a couple of moments when he tracked back & stopped a Bristol attack was encouraging.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 am All about opinions.

James is a better crosser of the ball, an aspect of his game that has significantly improved, especially now we have a proper No.9 in the box. Ten goals & seven assists cannot be sniffed at.

Gnonto's attempted cross to Bamford was woeful last night, in fact he wasn't great in the first-half, he was much better after the half-time break.

His movement into the centre of the pitch, where he is much more dangerous, was great (he's not a winger), and unlike all our powder-puff shooting straight at the keeper, Gnonto put his bootlaces through the ball, shooting with velocity across the keeper.

Also a couple of moments when he tracked back & stopped a Bristol attack was encouraging.
On a good day there both as good as each other! Both as talented. For the championship they both offer a speedy attack on the ball they both battle and could make it in the premier under our new management. Plus there's always the need for good competition in a squad.